PDA

View Full Version : What will it take to make some changes before it's too late?

thomas35forever
04-22-2010, 08:59 PM
I'm sure the fans will respond by not showing up to the park. At least that'd be sending a message.

If we're still in last place at the end of the weekend after the coming one, then maybe we'll see something.

Crede24Thome25
04-22-2010, 09:03 PM
I'm sure the fans will respond by not showing up to the park. At least that'd be sending a message.

If we're still in last place at the end of the weekend after the coming one, then maybe we'll see something.

What ever happens I hope it happens soon, this is getting beyond embarrassing.

voodoochile
04-22-2010, 09:15 PM
What kind of changes do you think the team needs? I mean right now, it's Danks, Jenks, Thornton, Teahen, Rios and Jones and otherwise back up the truck.

Since that's not possible, what exactly do you propose doing?

LoveYourSuit
04-22-2010, 09:23 PM
What kind of changes do you think the team needs? I mean right now, it's Danks, Jenks, Thornton, Teahen, Rios and Jones and otherwise back up the truck.

Change of faces in the coaching staff including the skipper.

thomas35forever
04-22-2010, 09:26 PM

1) We can start by cutting the dead weight out of the 'pen like Williams and Pena. Bring up another lefty from AAA who couldn't possibly do any worse.

2) Try and trade AJ before his 10/5 rights kick in so we can get something for him and Flowers can begin his tenure as our primary catcher.

3) Move Beckham out of the two-hole at least until he starts hitting the damn ball again. Put Teahen there instead.

4) Move Jones into the three-hole and bat Rios fifth.

5) Cut ties with Freddy and bring up Hudson. At this rate, we don't need a questionable fifth starter past his prime in the rotation. We need some wins.

PhillipsBubba
04-22-2010, 09:26 PM

OMG...if that happens, Kenny won't be able to make a blockbuster deadline deal.

voodoochile
04-22-2010, 09:28 PM
Change of faces in the coaching staff including the skipper.

Horrible idea...

1) We can start by cutting the dead weight out of the 'pen like Williams and Pena. Bring up another lefty from AAA who couldn't possible do any worse.

2) Try and trade AJ before his 10/5 rights kick in so we can get something for him and Flowers can begin his tenure as our primary catcher.

3) Move Beckham out of the two-hole at least until he starts hitting the damn ball again. Put Teahen there instead.

4) Move Jones into the three-hole and bat Rios fifth.

5) Cut ties with Freddy and bring up Hudson. At this rate, we don't need a questionable fifth starter past his prime in the rotation. We need some wins.

So give up on the season and hope that improves attendance?

Might as well trade Jones if you're going to do that. He won't be back next season...

thomas35forever
04-22-2010, 09:29 PM
Horrible idea...

So give up on the season and hope that improves attendance?

Might as well trade Jones if you're going to do that. He won't be back next season...
I didn't say give up on the season. Maybe I was a little harsh when I said trade AJ. I'm just trying to come up with solutions to the problem.

Maybe trade for a veteran lefty instead of calling up a minor leaguer.

sox1970
04-22-2010, 09:31 PM
Team meetings. They work great.

I think they'll just wait it out until June, and then let the dealing commence.

october23sp
04-22-2010, 09:31 PM
:fireozzie

thomas35forever
04-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Team meetings. They work great.

I think they'll just wait it out until June, and then let the dealing commence.
They've had team meetings before every series since '08. If we wait until June, it'll be too late.

A. Cavatica
04-22-2010, 09:32 PM
I didn't say give up on the season. Maybe I was a little harsh when I said trade AJ. I'm just trying to come up with solutions to the problem.

Maybe trade for a veteran lefty instead of calling up a minor leaguer.

Getting rid of Guillen, Walker, Cora, and Baines is a start.

thomas35forever
04-22-2010, 09:33 PM
Getting rid of Guillen, Walker, Cora, and Baines is a start.
If you replace them all during the season, we wave the white flag. Get rid of Walker and that's it. Besides, what did Harold do to be put on that list?

sox1970
04-22-2010, 09:34 PM
I don't know how they can fire Ozzie. Reinsdorf isn't known for paying two managers at a time, and I think Ozzie has 2-3 years left.

If anything, ban his sons from the clubhouse and see if he quits.

One thing I believe...I think this is the last year for Kenny Williams as GM. I think he'll go back to the scouting area.

A. Cavatica
04-22-2010, 09:35 PM
If you replace them all during the season, we wave the white flag. Get rid of Walker and that's it. Besides, what did Harold do to be put on that list?

Wave the white flag?? Have you seen this team? They're the Chicago White Flags.

Harold's only on the coaching staff because he's an ex-Sox. Get rid of them all and hire some coaches based on their qualifications.

sox1970
04-22-2010, 09:35 PM
They've had team meetings before every series since '08. If we wait until June, it'll be too late.

I'm sorry I guess I ignored the question in the thread. This season is over.

LoveYourSuit
04-22-2010, 09:36 PM
I don't know how they can fire Ozzie. Reinsdorf isn't known for paying two managers at a time, and I think Ozzie has 2-3 years left.

If anything, ban his sons from the clubhouse and see if he quits.

One thing I believe...I think this is the last year for Kenny Williams as GM. I think he'll go back to the scouting area.

Where he was bad also.

Frontman
04-22-2010, 09:39 PM
Wave the white flag?? Have you seen this team? They're the Chicago White Flags.

Harold's only on the coaching staff because he's an ex-Sox. Get rid of them all and hire some coaches based on their qualifications.

I'm pretty sure all the qualified managers are already working this season.

A. Cavatica
04-22-2010, 09:39 PM
Tonight's the night to make the change. I don't know what more evidence they need. This is Ozzieball.

balke
04-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Hehe - "Don't blame Walker, blame me!".

Okay - have it your way I say. Maybe its just the perfect time. You wanna bring in your worst reliever down 3 runs? You wanna leave him in with the bases loaded 3 innings pitched later when down 5 runs?

If Ozzie wants to quit on this team - they should quit on him.

DickAllen72
04-22-2010, 09:43 PM
1) 2) Try and trade AJ before his 10/5 rights kick in so we can get something for him and Flowers can begin his tenure as our primary catcher.

Trade Flowers before everyone else finds out he's over-hyped. Extend AJ.

LoveYourSuit
04-22-2010, 09:48 PM

Time to turn the page on all the old faces.

AJ, Paulie, Ozzie and Co, etc.

doublem23
04-22-2010, 09:52 PM
Any chance the Padres will give us back Clayton Richard for Peavy?

Only 1/2 teal.

Rockabilly
Trade Konerko, AJ, Jones, Linebrink, Putz,Castro, Pierre and Quentin

bring some younger talent in here who has some ****ing heart and wants to play hard

Qdiddy
Trade Mark Kotsay before everyone finds out he's overrated!

GoGoCrede
Any chance the Padres will give us back Clayton Richard for Peavy?

Only 1/2 teal.

Or Poreda?

Rockabilly
this team is a joke

DirtySox
04-22-2010, 09:58 PM

I really really really hope this is meant to be teal.

Tragg
04-22-2010, 09:58 PM
It's too late...5 series, zero wins, 1 tie.

The key now is maximizing the return from dumping players.
Unfortunately, trading veterans for real prospects is not Williams' strength as a GM. He's got a decent eye for talent, though, but Guillen has none.

The second problem is that Guillen is not the man to manage young talent. He was awful at it in 2007. He came out of that entire exercise with the notion that Jerry Owens was the Sox best young player.

october23sp
04-22-2010, 10:00 PM
Trade Mark Kotsay before everyone finds out he's overrated!
:tealtutor:

DickAllen72
04-22-2010, 10:04 PM
I really really really hope this is meant to be teal.
Yeah because Tyler Borchard.....er...Josh Flowers.....or whatever is a "can't miss" star in the making.

manders_01
04-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Trade Konerko, AJ, Jones, Linebrink, Putz,Castro, Pierre and Quentin

bring some younger talent in here who has some ****ing heart and wants to play hard

So they can "play hard" and strike out at every at bat? Our vets aren't at their best right now, hell, even their mediocre, but I certainly wouldn't say their not playing with heart. I can muster up plenty of heart to play but that doesn't mean that I won't look like a flippin' dope at the plate. :rolleyes:

DirtySox
04-22-2010, 10:08 PM
Yeah because Tyler Borchard.....er...Josh Flowers.....or whatever is a "can't miss" star in the making.

I'll take the chance with the cheap, cost controlled, high upside, nice power, great plate discipline catcher over the aging, impatient, GIDP, "grindy" AJ. Catchers do not age well. It's time to let the dream of an overpaid veteran laden replacement level team die.

DickAllen72
04-22-2010, 10:11 PM
I'll take the chance with the cheap, cost controlled, high upside, nice power, great plate discipline catcher over the aging, impatient, GIDP, "grindy" AJ. Catchers do not age well. It's time to let the dream of an overpaid veteran laden replacement level team die.
If they're going to replace AJ, replace him with someone better, not an overhyped former PED using "prospect" who can't hit a major league fastball and isn't much of an improvement (if not worse) defensively.

DirtySox
04-22-2010, 10:23 PM
If they're going to replace AJ, replace him with someone better, not an overhyped former PED using "prospect" who can't hit a major league fastball and isn't much of an improvement (if not worse) defensively.

Yep. Those 16 major league AB's are quite conclusive. :rolleyes: I'll take my chances with the prospect that has hit at every level he has played.

DickAllen72
04-22-2010, 10:25 PM
Yep. Those 16 major league AB's are quite conclusive. :rolleyes: I'll take my chances with the prospect that has hit at every level he has played.
I'd trade him while he still has some trade value.

thomas35forever
04-22-2010, 10:36 PM
I'd trade him while he still has some trade value.
I wouldn't do that without extending AJ first. Kenny's going to have to choose between the two of them.

Rikirk
04-22-2010, 11:14 PM
Someone teach these yahoos how to hit with men in scoring position.
Do the Twins ever fail to score with bases loaded?....
Nope....but we sure do. Its either a pop up or a GIDP.

This is absolute madness already.

Lip Man 1
04-22-2010, 11:32 PM
Folks:

I feel your pain but the practically issue comes in to play here.

NO ONE, repeat NO ONE makes trades in April, very few do it in May.

The Sox are stuck until June, they sink or swim with what they have.

Lip

The Immigrant
04-22-2010, 11:33 PM

What in the world are you talking about?

Lip Man 1
04-22-2010, 11:34 PM
Flowers was caught using PED's in the minor leagues.

Lip

VMSNS
04-22-2010, 11:34 PM
What in the world are you talking about?

I believe he tested positive for a low-grade steroid when he was in Atlanta's system.

The Immigrant
04-22-2010, 11:35 PM
I wouldn't do that without extending AJ first. Kenny's going to have to choose between the two of them.

A.J. is not getting more than a one year deal, and it probably won't be offered until this season is done. 10 and 5 rights mean very little without a long-term contract.