PDA

View Full Version : Random Musings

balboner
06-17-2002, 12:14 AM
- It's time that the sox realize Leifer isnt their answer as 4th of, and find someone else (not Borchard yet). It's a shame that we couldnt have traded Leifer for Jeremy Giambi.
- Let CLee bat 3rd on Tues. It's not like anyone in that spot has been on fire lately, so why not see if the new spot for him can ignite him.
- Foulke as a long-reliever in close games might be what the doctor order. Until Osuna proves otherwise, lets see if Foulke can pitch well enough to keep us in close games, and let our hitters play w/the lead, and not catch-up.
- How pathetic was Chimp when making the excuse for K. Wood that his wildness was because he hadnt pitched at home in a month. With that in mind, I guess he's going to walk 6 batters during every road game.
- D. Marte has shown excellent control lately. What once was a problem in his career, he's been our most efficient pitcher over last month.
- Anyone else think that Lofton's injury might take him a month or more to get over? He has had a history of having long, nagging injuries.

RKMeibalane
06-17-2002, 12:32 AM
That's a great point about Lofton's medical history. Those nagging injuries you refer to are presicely what led to his demise with the Cleveland Indians, and that is why they didn't want him back.

Lofton has played well for the Sox, but if this continues to be a problem, what looked like a great move by Kenny Williams may backfire if the Sox don't have their starting centerfielder for several games. There is one possible good thing that could come out of this, though. If Lofton were to miss an extended period of time, we may see Borchard.

No, who am I kidding? Williams isn't smart enough to make that move.

34 Inch Stick
06-17-2002, 11:36 AM
Liefer is our 5th outfielder behind Rowand. I think Liefer and Russell Branyan are the same person. Liefer is moonlighting for the Indians on the side. Have you ever seen the two of them toghether.

hold2dibber
06-17-2002, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Liefer is our 5th outfielder behind Rowand. I think Liefer and Russell Branyan are the same person. Liefer is moonlighting for the Indians on the side. Have you ever seen the two of them toghether.

Actually, I think that's a great point. The Indians recently got a legitimate prospect for Branyan. Liefer is wasting away on our bench and deserves a shot to see what he can do on the major league level over an extended period. Plus, he is no pinch hitter. If the Sox could deal him and get a prospect of the same caliber that the Indians got for Branyan, then I'd do that deal.

Randar68
06-17-2002, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

Actually, I think that's a great point. The Indians recently got a legitimate prospect for Branyan. Liefer is wasting away on our bench and deserves a shot to see what he can do on the major league level over an extended period. Plus, he is no pinch hitter. If the Sox could deal him and get a prospect of the same caliber that the Indians got for Branyan, then I'd do that deal.

Everyone was crying for Rowand to get the same chance. I haven't heard too much from their camp lately, but Liefer would be similar.

With that said, the shot he hit to Shammy yesterday would have hit the buildings across Sheffield the day before!

Paulwny
06-17-2002, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Everyone was crying for Rowand to get the same chance. I haven't heard too much from their camp lately, but Liefer would be similar.

Agree, if either one played an entire year I don't think they'd bat > .250

Garrison
06-17-2002, 12:44 PM
Liefer hasn't impressed much at the plate or as a fielder. He can't pinch hit very well and I think we should either give him a shot to prove himself, or deal him for someone.
Lofton had an awesome start but he has leveled off into another good outfielder. I really like the guy, but these nagging injuries are going to slow him up considerably. This is why I wouldn't resign him. He's not going to be another bargain this offseason and if we gave him the big bucks and the injury bug keeps biting, it's going to be money wasted.

Foulke You
06-17-2002, 02:29 PM
I like Liefer but agree that he has been pretty awful at the plate this year. He hit 18HR last year in limited duty and I thought it was just a matter of time before he settled in to Carlos Lee's spot but now I'm not so sure. Liefer, like many of the Sox hitters seems to have trouble with pitchers who have good command of their soft breaking pitches. This is something he needs to correct if he wants to break out of his slump. Of course, he rarely gets back to back starts so it is hard for a player to get into any kind of groove. I still think he could be a solid .250 30HR 80RBI guy if he got continued playing time.

Tragg
06-17-2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

But Branyan was putting up numbers - bogus numbers, but numbers (Homers; bad obp and strikeouts). Liefer is hitting .200 - no way do we get anything for him.

The lack of production from the bench has been a reason for our mediocrity this season.

Randar68
06-17-2002, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Tragg

But Branyan was putting up numbers - bogus numbers, but numbers (Homers; bad obp and strikeouts). Liefer is hitting .200 - no way do we get anything for him.

The lack of production from the bench has been a reason for our mediocrity this season.

He hits left-handed and produced the last time he was given regular PT. Might not be worth a Ben Broussard, but better than a Jeff Berry! LOL!