PDA

View Full Version : Autograph etiquette

soxlady8
04-21-2010, 11:18 PM
Last night I was at the game w Danksy starting.

Teahan was near my section (145 ) signing a few autographs right before the game --

I have this white hat that has several signitures.
It was the hat given to me two years ago when guest relations made me GIVE BACK the FOUL ball I caught from Joe Mauer.

So , I decided to make something GOOD out of my cheap hat vs.
the wonderful ball I caught by JOE MAUER --

It all started at Spring Training this year. I got several coaches and players to sign it. Spring Training is much easier to gather signitures
than at the CELL .

I DID want Teahen to sign my hat , but I waited patiently until ALL the CHILDREN got their balls , tickets , jerseys , etc. signed.

I was the last one there to get the hat signed . I said "can you sign my hat since all the children have had their opportunities ". He smiled at me and graciously signed it.

A mom with two boys thought I was so nice to wait like that .
She then said to me she thought it was sooo RUDE of adults to but in front of kids etc. etc. There were two guys that were literally pushing and shoving her kids out of the way to get to Teahen.

I guess my philosophy is to wait until the children get their stuff signed , then it will be my turn. Is there any other etiquette that should be followed ?

CWSpalehoseCWS
04-21-2010, 11:34 PM

Teahan was near my section (145 ) signing a few autographs right before the game --

It was the hat given to me two years ago when guest relations made me GIVE BACK the FOUL ball I caught from Joe Mauer.

It all started at Spring Training this year. I got several coaches and players to sign it. Spring Training is much easier to gather signitures
than at the CELL .

I DID want Teahen to sign my hat , but I waited patiently until ALL the CHILDREN got their balls , tickets , jerseys , etc. signed.

I was the last one there to get the hat signed . I said "can you sign my hat since all the children have had their opportunities ". He smiled at me and graciously signed it.

She then said to me she thought it was sooo RUDE of adults to but in front of kids etc. etc. There were two guys that were literally pushing and shoving her kids out of the way to get to Teahen.

I guess my philosophy is to wait until the children get their stuff signed , then it will be my turn. Is there any other etiquette that should be followed ?

Perhaps helping those that are too far away from the player. I've gotten stuff signed for those behind me before once it becomes impossible to move.

TDog
04-21-2010, 11:54 PM
There are adults who use kids to get autographs on balls and cards that they later go out and sell. Actually, I've seen a lot of that.

In general, I wouldn't get in the way of a kid who truly wanted an autograph that could perhaps endear him to the White Sox for life. That probably answers your question. Players are aware there are kids in it for the money, though, which some use as an excuse not to sign anything at all. Others know that by signing for people to whom it brings pleasure can be important. Some, like Rocky Biddle, signed everything because they enjoy having people ask them for their autograph.

Players who do sign generally care about the fans and sometimes will size up kids who look a little too streetwise, passing them over for adults who look like they are into the game.

The weekend before the strike in 1994 in Anaheim, I saw Alex Fernandez not signing anything as the fans in the right field corner were calling to him. When a young couple holding a baby asked if he could sign their baby's cloth crib ball, he shouted for them to hang on. He not only signed the ball, but he gave them the ball he was warming up with -- signed -- and held their baby in his or her little White Sox onesie (or however it's spelled) so they could get a picture. Other kids screamed at him for autographs but he signed nothing more before he jogged away.

If anyone involved in that story is on WSI now, please correct me if I got any of the details wrong. It was one of the coolest pre-game things I've ever seen in my life.

Brian26
04-22-2010, 12:00 AM
Fernandez was a class act. He threw a batting practice ball up to me in 1996 when there were only a few people in the stands early to watch the Sox finish BP (this is when they opened the doors at 5pm). The Sox didn't have names on the back of their unis or BP pullovers, so perhaps he was impressed I knew it was him.

LongLiveFisk
04-22-2010, 10:19 AM
As a general rule I agree with you. I will always be polite and wait my turn. The only exception would have been in the 80s/early 90s if Carlton Fisk was signing. I would have run my mother over to get his signature. :tongue::D:

Jerko
04-22-2010, 10:44 AM
My seat is near the bullpen so I've seen people looking for autographs many times. Rule 1: Don't ask a relief pitcher for his autograph while he's warming up to come into the game. And it wasn't a kid that did that either..........

LongLiveFisk
04-22-2010, 10:55 AM
My seat is near the bullpen so I've seen people looking for autographs many times. Rule 1: Don't ask a relief pitcher for his autograph while he's warming up to come into the game. And it wasn't a kid that did that either..........

Well, there's this little thing called COMMON SENSE, and some people just don't have it!

beasly213
04-22-2010, 11:07 AM
If you're over the age of 13... don't ask for autographs. That's my general rule.

HomeFish
04-22-2010, 11:11 AM
What if it's an adult who has never gotten an autograph vs a kid who has like 5-6 of them from various kids days?

In terms of reverse autograph giving, I'm pretty sure Jon Adkins asked a girl in section 158 for her phone number while he was in the bullpen before a game.

soltrain21
04-22-2010, 11:22 AM
If you're over the age of 13... don't ask for autographs. That's my general rule.

That's always how I've felt, too.

guillen4life13
04-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Eh, I used to show up at the park early for autographs until I was about 15. I still have the hat with all of the signatures on it. That hat ain't going nowhere. If I could add more sigs to it, I would, but I wouldn't want to hinder some kid from the opportunities I had when I was younger.

My hat has the following autographs:

-Ken Vining
-Matt Ginter
-Jose Canseco
-Jon Garland
-Kenny Lofton
-Keith Foulke
-Carlos Lee
-Sandy Alomar Jr.
-Joel Skinner (when he was 3B coach for the Jndians)
-Rocky Biddle

There are a couple more on there also. Can't remember who they are. The hat is at home in OP and I'm in Miami, so I can't actually see it right now.

Edit: Also, I think that a woman would get a lot more of a chance to get an autograph because I'm sure most autograph collectors/dealers are men.

sox1970
04-22-2010, 11:48 AM

I would raise that to 16. Basically, if you can drive to the game, don't ask for autographs, and don't bring a glove.

guillen4life13
04-22-2010, 12:20 PM
I would raise that to 16. Basically, if you can drive to the game...don't bring a glove.

16 is a good age. Eh... I don't think I agree with the glove part though. If you catch a foul ball, that's yours to do with it what you please. Personally, I'd probably give it away, either to someone in my family or to a kid under 12 if there's one around me. I don't take a glove to the park anymore because I usually sit in the mid-back of section 159 (LF Reserved) and I've never been at a game where a homer went that far back.

bridgeportcopper
04-22-2010, 02:40 PM

than at the CELL .

Why did you have to give back the Joe Mauer foul ball?

LongLiveFisk
04-22-2010, 04:09 PM
Eh... I don't think I agree with the glove part though.

Me neither, especially when you are sitting in a seating area where you may have to protect yourself from a hard hit foul ball coming at you. Better to have a glove to put up in front of your face than your bare hands! :o:

harwar
04-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Me neither, especially when you are sitting in a seating area where you may have to protect yourself from a hard hit foul ball coming at you. Better to have a glove to put up in front of your face than your bare hands! :o:

that's right .. i fractured a finger trying to catch a drive to the left-field corner back in the 70's .. also, i once saw a foul ball shatter the wood top of a seat in arlington stadium

Nellie_Fox
04-22-2010, 04:48 PM
I would raise that to 16. Basically, if you can drive to the game, don't ask for autographs, and don't bring a glove.I also always wonder why this bothers people. Why do you care if someone brings a glove? I don't want to get broken fingers trying to snag a ball coming at me at high speed, and I damn sure don't want to take one off the ol' cabeza because I can't defend myself.

soxlady8
04-22-2010, 06:55 PM
June 2008 ... Javy was on the bump ... warm beautiful night... section 140 row 20 !

Mauer kept fouling them off.
I caught like the 5th one.
At around the 9th one , a child got hit in the head not far from where I was sitting. I had the ball in my lap and a guest relations guy made me give it up. He stated that my ball was the one that hit the kid in the head , give it up so I can give it to him .

I got a bit mouthy with him and tried to reason w him.
NOOOO my ball is not the one that hit the kid in the head.
The guys around me were getting mouthy w him too saying that I ligitimately caught the ball and that this ball was not the one.
AND how cool is it that a lady catches the ball ????

However , I did the right thing for the sake of the kid- I am a grown woman for gosh sakes.

I was pretty teed off though when Guest Relations people came up to the kid and his family some 10 minutes after I gave up the ball and they gave him some tickets , and I believe an autographed THOME ball , and some tshirts and sweatshirts .. ughhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!

I told Guest Relations about it after the game and they said they were sorry and gave me a white old Sox insignia hat from Wallgreens and a batting practice ball !!!

My Walgreens hat now has 8 signitures . So .... I made a good thing out of a not so good thing :)

soxlady8
04-22-2010, 07:04 PM
giving up that ball led to a win that evening

It also led me to an autographed JOE MAUER ball.

Last year I had the opportunity to mentor a student teacher.
On a professional note , last year was the BEST year of my teaching career. I loved working with him and teaching him how to be a great teacher in an Urban School System !!!

One Friday morning he pulled out an autographed Joe Mauer ball from his coat pocket and gave it to me. He then stated well I forgot to mention that my brother has some connections at US CELLULAR FIELD.
I mentioned your foul ball story to him and he was able to get to Joe Mauer and ask him to sign a ball !!!

I was practically in tears.
He said to me that I did the right thing and that KARMA usually comes back in wonderful ways . He was so wise (and still is !! )

He is doing really well . He teaches at a school not far from downtown.
We stay in contact . Not only did I get a chance to mentor a future teacher (at the time ) , but I gained a lifelong friend too !!!

{and got a Joe Mauer ball }

twinsuck
04-23-2010, 01:44 AM
pfff, I'll go my turn. I'm not going to let kids that came after me go before me but I'm not going to shove my way through. I like autographs, I don't give a crap if someone thinks I'm "too old." I'm only 18, damn. I think anyone that wants one should try and get one, I don't think there should be a freaking age limit.

MarySwiss
04-23-2010, 02:16 AM
Count me as another person who brings my glove to the game. For some reason, this drives my husband crazy. Why, I have no idea.:?: But if I ever did catch a ball, I'd give it to a kid.

As for autograph etiquette, a few years ago at spring training, there was this little boy who was probably about ten years old. He was trying to get Joe Crede's autograph. He seemed like a nice polite kid, and he kept getting muscled out by some (supposedly) grown-up men. Crede had been signing for some time, and you could tell he was about to call it quits. I was behind the kid, so at just the right moment, I pushed the kid forward and simultaneously hip-checked this clown who was trying to elbow him out of the way. I'm pretty sure Crede saw what was happening because he signed the kid's ball--and that was the last autograph he signed that day.

And yes, I'm proud of myself for doing it, and I would do it again in a heartbeat! :D:

MrT27
04-23-2010, 04:58 AM
I think adults getting autographs is silly at a game. I've seen many grown men at the cell kinda pushing their way to a player signing autographs in front of young kids. If your an adult you can probably afford that players, do it that way and let the kids have fun and get their stuff signed.

I never understood autographs in general. Someone literally just scribbles their name some something, thats all. :scratch:

soxfan43
04-23-2010, 12:45 PM
I think adults getting autographs is silly at a game. I've seen many grown men at the cell kinda pushing their way to a player signing autographs in front of young kids. If your an adult you can probably afford that players, do it that way and let the kids have fun and get their stuff signed.

I never understood autographs in general. Someone literally just scribbles their name some something, thats all. :scratch:

I definitely got autographs as a young kid but there's also a point sometime in my teens when I realized it's just a signature of some dude. I'd much rather get a picture or have a conversation with an athlete than have them sign something.

CLUBHOUSE KID
04-23-2010, 01:18 PM
pfff, i'll go my turn. I'm not going to let kids that came after me go before me but i'm not going to shove my way through. I like autographs, i don't give a crap if someone thinks i'm "too old." i'm only 18, damn. I think anyone that wants one should try and get one, i don't think there should be a freaking age limit.

bingo

salty99
04-23-2010, 01:48 PM
I usually push all the spoiled rotten bratty kids out of the way and then get like 50 things signed and the kids get 0.

soxlady8
04-23-2010, 05:11 PM
peeps are crackin' me up ---

However , I am stickin' to my style --

let the kiddies get their autographs and then I will :)