PDA

View Full Version : ** OFFICIAL*** Worst. Game. Ever. Postgame thread

doublem23
04-21-2010, 11:11 PM
WARNING: This thread not for the light of heart. Or pollyannas. This one is going to be ugly.

soltrain21
04-21-2010, 11:12 PM
Fire somebody. I don't really give a **** who it is.

Pitching sucked - but once again our offense is ****ing terrible.

Viva Medias B's
The way this season has been going, tonight was just another day at the office.

twinsuck
What a pitiful pitiful pitiful effort.....

LoveYourSuit
04-21-2010, 11:13 PM
WARNING: This thread not for the light of heart. Or pollyannas. This one is going to be ugly.

I predict a calm thread.

We have to face reality, this teams sucks.

No other way to put it.

Viva Medias B's
04-21-2010, 11:13 PM
:popcorn:
Chris Rongey and all those happy postgame show callers will be on shortly.

This is the kind of game you wish the postgame was being done by Doug and O.B.

Domeshot17
04-21-2010, 11:14 PM
I think that is what I hate about this team, Buehrle had given up 4 runs, and I know he gave up more, but the 4th run, that one was the realization we just won't score enough runs to come back and win. Welcome to our biggest nightmare. We have an offense that not only won't consistently pick up the pitching, but will also cost the pitching games.

GoGoCrede
For once I'm not going to Pollyanna this game, probably because I had to sit through it. My friend and I called it quits in the 6th. I felt like a fairweather, since I've never done that before, but honestly, I don't care anymore.

I cannot think of a single positive, except that Buehrle made a nice play in the 1st or 2nd, and I bought a hoodie that was on sale. That's it.

**** this team, and if this keeps up, the tickets I have for this weekend will be the last ones I buy for a while. I need to cool down.

Apparently, Santos did well, but by then I was already on the el.

cleanwsox
Well, it was about time to get shut out.. surprised it didn't happen earlier.

Our offense it just horrible to watch. :mad:

twinsuck
04-21-2010, 11:15 PM

I always wanted to call into one of those shows. What should I say? haha

bunty_doghunter
04-21-2010, 11:15 PM
Almost.

GoGoCrede
04-21-2010, 11:17 PM
It's a tough call as to which was uglier to watch - that homer Pena gave up, the walks Buehrle allowed, or our offense getting one hit (they might have gotten more, but I bailed before it happened).

I need a cookie.

Tragg
04-21-2010, 11:18 PM
Poor team construction.
Poor coaching
Bad play.

= team still looking for its first series win.

gobears1987
04-21-2010, 11:18 PM
Well that was ****ty

DaveFeelsRight
04-21-2010, 11:19 PM
sloppy play all around. that's what happens when a good team like the rays tale advantage of mistakes.

just come out and take the series tomorrow.

sox1970
04-21-2010, 11:19 PM
Hey, they only have to be 7 games better than the Twins over the next 147 games.

:rolling:

Blow it up, Kenny.

GoGoCrede
04-21-2010, 11:21 PM
I'll be interested to hear what Ozzie and co. have to say about this one. I think I'm slowly calming down. Misery loves company.

Foulke You
04-21-2010, 11:22 PM
Our offense it just horrible to watch. :mad:
You can't even single out one or two guys. It's all of them, really...yet again. Another stiff of a pitcher that we make look like Cy Young. In the first two innings, the guy was all over the place and couldn't get any of his breaking pitches over...yet we still couldn't even plate one run. I bailed on this game in the 5th. Tough to watch. Hope Peavy is on tomorrow so we can still try to win the series. :(:

LoveYourSuit
04-21-2010, 11:22 PM

Viva,

You bring him up after every loss.

Me starting to think you have a giant size poster of Ranger on your wall.

Who cares about the damn post game show.

Viva Medias B's
04-21-2010, 11:23 PM
DOUG: Welcome to the Score Sportsradio 670. I'm Doug Buffone, he's Ed O'Bradovich. Sox lose 12 to nothing to the Tampa Bay Rays. Well, Ed, what can you say?

O.B.: Doug, I have never seen a more pitiful effort on the baseball field. What the hell were they doing out there tonight, Doug? You know, there is something in baseball called HITTING!!!!!

DOUG: Ed, the hitting stunk! The pitching stunk! The defense stunk! THEY LOOKED LIKE THEY WERE PLAYING WITH THEIR HEADS UP THEIR-

O.B.: DOUG!

DOUG: Saved me, Ed! But you know we have been playing like complete crap since the SEASON BEGAN!!!! I'M TIRED OF IT!!!! I WISH SOMEONE WOULD GET KICKED IN THE BUTTOCKS!!!!

soxlady8
04-21-2010, 11:24 PM
Yuck
Yuck Yuck --

bad starting pitching by Burhls -
Offense was horrid (what is new there ?? )
The pen was practically asleep --

I went to the game tonight and left in the sixth .
I felt bad doing that because I always believe in staying until the end , however ---
I could not handle it anymore.

It was a wee bit chilly and I was not properly prepared for it too --

still early in the season , but I see some changes comin' on soon
if this garbage continues !!

sox1970
Well done, Viva.

Frankfan4life
:angry: Pitiful execution offensively and defensively and the pitching for the most part was atrocious and on top of that the weather was horrible.

Kudos to the fans who sat through that game. You guys deserve a medal. It was hard enough to watch the game in the comfort of my own home so I can only imagine how brutal it was to watch in person. Besides, Santos, the fans were the only good thing about the game.

I'm only hoping that the Sox are a warm weather team and will play better when the weather heats up (but I doubt it). :angry:

Lip Man 1
It's now laughable. Just like death, taxes and the Cubs not getting to the World Series, when the Sox face a pitcher they haven't seen before they roll over and go belly up.

Absolutely incredible.

Three opposing pitchers facing the Sox for the first time this season - Toronto's Ricky Romero, Cleveland's Mitch Talbot and Davis - have allowed three runs on nine hits in 23 innings.

Oh by the way, that's now nine times in 15 games, they've scored three runs or less.

Kenny says to "relax"...seems the Sox hitters are taking that advice to heart and playing like it.

Lip

tstrike2000
Things were so bad that besides losing 12-0, the two Rays I have for fantasy only got me 2 points combined.

gobears1987
04-21-2010, 11:25 PM
DOUG: Welcome to the Score Sportsradio 670. I'm Doug Buffone, he's Ed O'Bradovich. Sox lose 12 to nothing to the Tampa Bay Rays. Well, Ed, what can you say?

O.B.: Doug, I have never seen a more pitiful effort on the baseball field. What the hell were they doing out there tonight, Doug? You know, there is something in baseball called HITTING!!!!!

DOUG: Ed, the hitting stunk! The pitching stunk! The defense stunk! THEY LOOKED LIKE THEY WERE PLAYING WITH THEIR HEADS UP THEIR-

O.B.: DOUG!

DOUG: Saved me, Ed! But you know we have been playing like complete crap since the SEASON BEGAN!!!! I'M TIRED OF IT!!!! I WISH SOMEONE WOULD GET KICKED IN THE BUTTOCKS!!!!
Ed and Doug are great. If this gets bad eough, Ranger can get a night off to take a break and they can fill in.

mccoydp
04-21-2010, 11:26 PM
That was a pitiful game. I can't believe I actually watched all of it. Time for some non-Sox time tonight.

GoGoCrede
Yuck
Yuck Yuck --

bad starting pitching by Burhls -
Offense was horrid (what is new there ?? )
The pen was practically asleep --

I went to the game tonight and left in the sixth .
I felt bad doing that because I always believe in staying until the end , however ---
I could not handle it anymore.

It was a wee bit chilly and I was not properly prepared for it too --

still early in the season , but I see some changes comin' on soon
if this garbage continues !!

Don't feel bad. I left in the 6th too. And I bet I can pinpoint the exact moment you decided to leave: When Pena gave up that three-run homer, because that's when I decided to bail. If it had been warmer, I might have decided to stay longer.

GlassSox
I changed channels and watched a Law & Order re-run

SoxSpeed22
04-21-2010, 11:27 PM
Sounds like a good thing that I missed this one.

JB98
Things were so bad that besides losing 12-0, the two Rays I have for fantasy only got me 2 points combined.

I had Pena, Bartlett and Longoria all playing. Two out of three ain't bad. :shrug:

Man, we stink this year. :anon:

ChicagoG19
Fire somebody. I don't really give a **** who it is.

Pitching sucked - but once again our offense is ****ing terrible.

Agreed. Just fire somebody.

Hegewisch
04-21-2010, 11:28 PM
Another W T F Game !!!!!!!!!!

slavko
04-21-2010, 11:31 PM
What fools we were to be all worried about the bullpen preseason.

Mr. Downtown
04-21-2010, 11:31 PM
Pop up in foul territory in 3rd. Just out of Paulie's reach and Gordon looks clueless. Opens the floodgates. One run game becomes a 5 run game. If Gordon catches the ball, it's a different game.

Woofer
04-21-2010, 11:32 PM
As the season approached, I was sort of concerned that my involvement with my sons baseball teams was going to cut into my White Sox viewing and game attendance time. Now it looks like it will be a blessing.

Danielgosox38
04-21-2010, 11:33 PM
I cancelled my MLBtv account today. I am already in the process of moving, so am tight on money, and with the way this team is playing, I figured I would cut some expenses. The Sox are the only reason I had it in the first place. Pathetic game tonight. Team sucks. Kenny needs to think of something to do before it's too late.

EdHerman12
04-21-2010, 11:34 PM
That wasn't ugly....that was you-glee! I'm trying to be a Pollyanna, but it's times like this that are causing me to have flash backs of 1970....:gah:

thomas35forever
04-21-2010, 11:36 PM
We're only on pace to win 54 games. Right now, this club looks like it's well on its way to doing that.

tstrike2000
04-21-2010, 11:36 PM
I had Pena, Bartlett and Longoria all playing. Two out of three ain't bad. :shrug:

Man, we stink this year. :anon:

No, two of three ain't bad at all. I just figured if we're gonna get our asses kicked, hopefully some kind of good would come out of it, but Zobrist didn't play and Crawford was quiet.

4 hits tonight, wonderful, just wonderful.

LoveYourSuit
04-21-2010, 11:40 PM
As the season approached, I was sort of concerned that my involvement with my sons baseball teams was going to cut into my White Sox viewing and game attendance time. Now it looks like it will be a blessing.

This is starting to look like one of those seasons for fans to:

- Plan a wedding
- Take a few vacations
- Join a summer bowling league (that's what I will be doing)
- Get a 2nd job (weeknights)

twinsuck
04-21-2010, 11:40 PM
Pop up in foul territory in 3rd. Just out of Paulie's reach and Gordon looks clueless. Opens the floodgates. One run game becomes a 5 run game. If Gordon catches the ball, it's a different game.
It was one potential out.... that shouldn't control a whole game. They could have got out of it. I just think it's kinda ridiculous to blame it on that one play... How about blame it on Carlos for not hitting the cut off man that one time?? He allowed the runners to go up to 2nd and 3rd. You could blame it on a lot of things, it was an all around was bad game.

GoGoCrede
04-21-2010, 11:42 PM

I really don't think Paulie not catching that one was the reason the offense only got one lousy hit.

JB98
04-21-2010, 11:42 PM
No, two of three ain't bad at all. I just figured if we're gonna get our asses kicked, hopefully some kind of good would come out of it, but Zobrist didn't play and Crawford was quiet.

4 hits tonight, wonderful, just wonderful.

Walk's always got 'em ready to hit!

LoveYourSuit
04-21-2010, 11:46 PM
It was one potential out.... that shouldn't control a whole game. They could have got out of it. I just think it's kinda ridiculous to blame it on that one play... How about blame it on Carlos for not hitting the cut off man that one time?? He allowed the runners to go up to 2nd and 3rd. You could blame it on a lot of things, it was an all around was bad game.

Agree 100%.

Honestly, people need to tune away from Hawk. One play does not make or break this game.

The Sox, just like the other team, had 27 outs to work with.

Brian26
04-21-2010, 11:47 PM
Andruw Jones had a phenomenal at-bat...I think it was his 2nd time up versus Davis. He took Davis to 13 or 14 pitches, fouling off everything in sight and taking some nice pitches just off the plate. Hopefully that's a sign of good things to come this season as he replaces JD in the lineup. That's all I got.

Brian26
04-21-2010, 11:48 PM
Agree 100%.

Honestly, people need to tune away from Hawk. One play does not make or break this game.

The Sox, just like the other team, had 27 outs to work with.

I'm anxiously awaiting for MLB to institute the "team error" though. :rolling:

WhiteSox5187
04-21-2010, 11:50 PM
Well...this was one of those games we just weren't going to win, haha. Ok, this team looks BAD but it's still only April and we can turn it around, but if we keep scoring three runs or less, someone's gotta go and I think Walk is the first guy that has to go.

LoveYourSuit
04-21-2010, 11:51 PM
I'm anxiously awaiting for MLB to institute the "team error" though. :rolling:

Holly ****!

I fell off my chair when he said that.

I was like *** :o:

Dibbs
04-21-2010, 11:51 PM
I remember one or two games that were worse that I was actually at. I think one was when the Giants came to town and beat our brains in sometime around 2004. The Blue Jays did the same thing the following year IIRC. Anyway, Ozzie should just go. He really is an idiot and I truly think the team would have a better record if I was manager. You can laugh, but that is the same attitude Ozzie can have and many of his followers love him for it.

One positive side not, they look like a professional team (not in skill level though) with the sweet home whites the last couple of nights.

GoGoCrede
04-21-2010, 11:52 PM
Holly ****!

What did I miss? Was this something said on TV?

sox1970
04-21-2010, 11:52 PM
Holly ****!

He's been spouting that nonsense for years.

LoveYourSuit
04-21-2010, 11:57 PM
Well...this was one of those games we just weren't going to win, haha. Ok, this team looks BAD but it's still only April and we can turn it around, but if we keep scoring three runs or less, someone's gotta go and I think Walk is the first guy that has to go.

This is the part I am concerned about.

The Coaches, the players, Hawk all say this team will eventually hit. I agree they are not as bad as they are right now, not even close. But what is their expectation on how good they can be? Is there really a history of greatness from any of these guys where we can say that they will make a difference?

It's April and we are already chasing 7 games.

Noneck
04-21-2010, 11:58 PM
He's been spouting that nonsense for years.

He is the king of shelling out shill nonsense.

LoveYourSuit
04-21-2010, 11:59 PM
What did I miss? Was this something said on TV?

Yeah, some more crazy nonesense from Hawk. He wanted to credit "the team" with an error so that Buehrle wouldn't take a hit on his ERA.:rolleyes:

Once again, Hawk missing the big picture here.

Can't wait for him to start riding the umpires for our suckness.

johnnyg83
04-22-2010, 12:01 AM
I once saw my great aunt's hammer toe ... this was slightly better.

Brian26
04-22-2010, 12:02 AM

He's still riding the umps from the Toronto series.

:hawk
"That ball was a strike every time Andruw saw it at the Rogers Centre. Meanwhile, he's up in the count 1-0"

GoGoCrede
04-22-2010, 12:03 AM
Yeah, some more crazy nonesense from Hawk. He wanted to credit "the team" with an error so that Buehrle wouldn't take a hit on his ERA.:rolleyes:

Once again, Hawk missing the big picture here.

God, he's embarrassing sometimes. :rolleyes: At least he finally admitted that we sucked the other night.

khan
04-22-2010, 12:04 AM
1. I'm so ****ing sick of the ready-made excuse that "they haven't seen that pitcher before." It's old, it's tired, it's bull****. Why not just forfeit? At least the pitchers can get extra rest if they do. The SOX hit pitchers they've never seen before like old people ****. And it sounds like they're looking for a way to LOSE, rather than looking for a way to WIN.

2. It is now EIGHT DAYS since Carlos Quentin bothered to get a base hit. He is now hitting a LEGENDARY .176. Can someone, ANYONE tell us exactly why he's still batting 3rd? Why?

3. This team's margin for error is razor-thin. One mistake, and the team's done. Good teams minimize their mistakes, PUNISH their opponents for their mistakes, and have the ability to recover from their own mistakes. The SOX, as currently constructed, can do NONE of those things.

4. The way things are going, I put the over/under on the date for the fire sale at June 1st.

JB98
04-22-2010, 12:05 AM
There's nothing more intolerable than Hawk when the Sox are losing.

Full of excuses...

tick53
04-22-2010, 12:06 AM
:b&b

Butthead: "Bevis this thucks. I thick and tired of watching these asswipes lose.

Bevis: "Yeah, yeah. Ozzie Guliien's a buttmunch and
the whole teams sucks. Let's watch some videos."

Butthead: "Uhhhh, OK."

Chicago5oooh
04-22-2010, 12:08 AM
On the bright side, when a team sucks this hard and this early, I can put away my wallet for the summer and spend the money elsewhere. Thanks boys see you in 2011!
:whiner:

sox1970
04-22-2010, 12:08 AM
1. I'm so ****ing sick of the ready-made excuse that "they haven't seen that pitcher before." It's old, it's tired, it's bull****. Why not just forfeit? At least the pitchers can get extra rest if they do. The SOX hit pitchers they've never seen before like old people ****. And it sounds like they're looking for a way to LOSE, rather than looking for a way to WIN.

2. It is now EIGHT DAYS since Carlos Quentin bothered to get a base hit. He is now hitting a LEGENDARY .176. Can someone, ANYONE tell us exactly why he's still batting 3rd? Why?

3. This team's margin for error is razor-thin. One mistake, and the team's done. Good teams minimize their mistakes, PUNISH their opponents for their mistakes, and have the ability to recover from their own mistakes. The SOX, as currently constructed, can do NONE of those things.

4. The way things are going, I put the over/under on the date for the fire sale at June 1st.

Agreed.

Kenny should have an email out to 29 GM's tonight.
Subject Line: OPEN FOR BUSINESS

Lip Man 1
04-22-2010, 12:18 AM
Khan:

Good question. It's been discussed by others on other threads. I think it's mental, the same reason they couldn't win in Minnesota, couldn't win for the longest time in Toronto, couldn't win for the longest time in Oakland. And it's not like they've got any real leaders who can do something about it.

There may be something to your comment about looking for a way to lose.

I mean we've heard a lot of excuses since 2007.

Lip

sox1970
04-22-2010, 12:21 AM
...and they can't win the third game of a series when going for a sweep. Last year, they couldn't win on Fridays. They couldn't win on Sundays...etc. This team sucks.

october23sp
There's nothing to say that hasn't been said. We suck.

tick53
:nancy

"And everybody's wondering why I'm leaving?"

khan
04-22-2010, 12:28 AM
Khan:

Good question. It's been discussed by others on other threads. I think it's mental, the same reason they couldn't win in Minnesota, couldn't win for the longest time in Toronto, couldn't win for the longest time in Oakland. And it's not like they've got any real leaders who can do something about it.

There may be something to your comment about looking for a way to lose.

I mean we've heard a lot of excuses since 2007.

Lip

It's not JUST the "We've never seen this pitcher before" excuse, but the "You've got to tip your hat" excuse, among other excuses.

It seems like they spend more time practicing their excuse-making for the press conference than they do on infield defense. Or situational hitting. Or bunting. Or keeping the runner close. Or hitting the cutoff man. Or preparing a lineup that has a chance to win. Or utilizing the bullpen properly.

If this team perfected the hit-and-run play as well as they do their excuses, maybe they'd win a bit more. Or maybe they're just not talented enough to compete. Either way, they look as determined as a bunch of 6 year olds with diarrhea.

GoGoCrede
04-22-2010, 12:32 AM
Meanwhile, the Twins are the first team to reach 11 wins this season, according to MLB.

bunty_doghunter
04-22-2010, 12:36 AM
Meanwhile, the Twins are the first team to reach 11 wins this season, according to MLB.
With TB close behind. You're welcome, TB.

Blueprint1
04-22-2010, 12:37 AM
Does Walker take any of the blame for this hitting? We have not hit since the all star break in 2006. Why does Walker get a free pass? How much could making a change hurt? If I am wrong can we get any worse by making this change?

Mr. Downtown
04-22-2010, 12:38 AM
Gordon should have caught the ball in foul territory. Period. Was it his fault the Sox lost? No. But his screw up sent us on our way. His screwing up doesn't even show up in the box score, but as the game played out his missing the pop up pretty much guaranteed the loss. I like Gordon, but please be honest. This was a huge mistake.

GoGoCrede
04-22-2010, 12:39 AM
Gordon should have caught the ball in foul territory. Period. Was it his fault the Sox lost? No. But his screw up sent us on our way. His screwing up doesn't even show up in the box score, but as the game played out his missing the pop up pretty much guaranteed the loss. I like Gordon, but please be honest. This was a huge mistake.

It was a mistake, sure, but is the team that mentally weak that it couldn't recover from that? I just don't think that moment was to blame for tonight's loss.

PhillipsBubba
04-22-2010, 12:48 AM
Back up the truck!

Trade:

Konerko
AJ
Jenks
Buehrle

munchman33
04-22-2010, 12:51 AM
There are going to be days like this. Perhaps more with this team, yes. But they still happen to everyone.

LoveYourSuit
04-22-2010, 01:04 AM

No Hawk.

The Sox lost because they scored ZERO runs tonight.

Look at the Box Score.

jabrch
04-22-2010, 01:12 AM
back up the truck!

Trade:

Konerko
aj
jenks
buehrle

brilliant!

PhillipsBubba
04-22-2010, 01:14 AM
brilliant!

Thank you:redface:

Nellie_Fox
04-22-2010, 01:20 AM
Back up the truck!

Trade:

Konerko
AJ
Jenks
BuehrleFor...?

Crede24Thome25
04-22-2010, 01:24 AM
Back up the truck!

Trade:

Konerko
AJ
Jenks
Buehrle

I'd rather trade Quentin, what could we possibly get for Quentin now that I mention it?

BainesHOF
04-22-2010, 01:55 AM
The defense was atrocious once again...

Quentin was brutal on two plays. Once again he threw to the wrong base to allow a runner to move into scoring position. Then he played a sacrifice fly like a Little Leaguer.

Konerko screwed up two plays. He didn't catch the pop foul and then committed a throwing error.

Beckham looked bad on one play. He should have called off Konerko and easily caught that pop foul.

Ramirez was out of position on one play. He gave Konerko a target directly in line with the runner, which helped produced Konerko's throwing error.

That's six screwups if you're scoring at home. We looked like a bunch of minor leaguers.

Ozzie needs to wake up, too. Quentin has no business in right when Rios and Jones are in the lineup. Nor should Quentin be batting third. There's no reason he can't be moved down and then re-inserted into the third spot if/when he returns to form. Beckham needs to be moved down in the order so he can develop in less of a demanding spot in the order than his current No. 2 spot.

We need to find a real Major League shortstop.

Zelemont
04-22-2010, 02:03 AM
The good news is that if you are a betting type, the white sox are somehow the favorite tomorrow. I ignorantly thought this team was good for more than a week, but I am ready to make back a little money tomorrow. It's the most logical thought I have had about this team so far.

guillensdisciple
04-22-2010, 02:13 AM
For once I'm not going to Pollyanna this game, probably because I had to sit through it. My friend and I called it quits in the 6th. I felt like a fairweather, since I've never done that before, but honestly, I don't care anymore.

I cannot think of a single positive, except that Buehrle made a nice play in the 1st or 2nd, and I bought a hoodie that was on sale. That's it.

**** this team, and if this keeps up, the tickets I have for this weekend will be the last ones I buy for a while. I need to cool down.

Apparently, Santos did well, but by then I was already on the el.

Alright, ****'s hit the fan when you snap on the Sox. Wow, I don't even know if this team warrants a response. Simply ashamed to watch this baseball right now.

I hope White Sox management reads this, because they are a shame to all White Sox fans. You have gone from a franchise that won the world series to the laughing stock of the city in a matter of 4 years. I appreciate your lies to try and convince me that the product on the field was going to win a championship, and I am ashamed that you wasted the pitching you got with such a horrible offense.

Peave did not want to go to the Sox because the Sox suck that's why. Not because he had problems with the timing or whatever else he said. I mean, look at Peavy now- look at what the organization has done to him in 15 games. The guy was all about it to start, and now there is nothing. No one wants to win, and I feel bad for Peavy. He should have stayed in San Diego or gone somewhere else. This franchise is lost in its own ****. The pride and tradition crap they pitch is based on keeping the idiots that were part of losing teams.

Look at Walker, what has he done? Why can't we hit people we have never seen? Why can't we hit in general? Why have the averages of players like Gordon Beckham, Pierre, and Quentin degenerated to bull****? Why can't we play defense like a normal team? Who is to blame for this? Why am I being fed the same **** as last year?

Win. That's all, win the ****ing baseball game. It's fairly simple. Don't get swept by the ****Ing Indians, don't make fools of yourself against the Rays, and don't lose the division to a team that has no pitching.

Since last year, I have been repeating the same thing over and over again. This team has no balls, nobody can stand up and do anything when it matters. No body can get the big hit when needed, and nobody can play in pressure situations. We sink the moment the chance arises.

I have been an avid supporter of Ozzie for years, but enough is enough. A man can only do so much talking without having to face the consequences of his own words. You have accomplished nothing since the world series run (no, it is not acceptable to have only won the division). All you have done is blabber about this being this way, about how this will happen if this continues. NOTHING EVER CHANGES! This team is the same pathetic excuse it was last year, the year before that, and the year before that one.

Kenny, you make this excuse about how we are financially strapped. That's fine, but how about you use the 110 million on a worthwhile product. Teams with that kind of payroll have allstars hitting for them, not ****ing *******s hitting for them. Where is the money going to?

Win, win ****ing baseball games. We will show up, we love our team. Stop losing and stop shaming yourselves and we will support you. One thing I will not do is make excuses for you like other people do for other teams in this city. **** that ****! No more excuses for any team in this city! Why should we pay top ****ing dollar to watch the same excuses for teams? No, bring me a product that is worth my money and my time.

No more talking- win.

MetroPD
04-22-2010, 02:15 AM
I'd rather trade Quentin, what could we possibly get for Quentin now that I mention it?
nothing. He couldn't make solid contact with the ball if his life depended on it. I'm wondering if his injury was worse than what we initially thought, because his bat on ball skills has diminished quite suddenly.

Kenny needs to clean house. We're looking like the Bears of MLB, we simply can not develope any players whatsoever.

SluggersAway
04-22-2010, 03:04 AM

Because Ozzie does not play by numbers only by his gut and he has no idea that it has been that long since Quentin has got a base hit.

hawkjt
04-22-2010, 03:19 AM
We miss Pods...and a lot more. But really, the team looked almost just as dead last year in April and early May until Pods joined the team. And it changed almost overnite with him leading off.
I wanted them to re-sign him,but both sides screwed that up,and I think fans who scoffed about him last year are starting to see what a spark he was. He got a lot of tough two out rbis, and he started a lot of rallies.
I am not writing off Juan at this early point,but bottom line is a having a leadoff man on base 35% of the time just changes the whole vibe on the team,imo.

The Sox need more .300+ hiitters....Pods was one, and last I looked is hitting .450 with onbase over .500....he coulda made a difference on this team. They are not great hitters but this is ridiculous.

Carneyman14
04-22-2010, 03:36 AM
Its ok guys, its a long season and we could still come back and w........Yeah even I don't believe myself.

pudge
04-22-2010, 04:06 AM
This is starting to look like one of those seasons for fans to:

- Plan a wedding

Nothing would ever drive me to do THAT.

NLaloosh
04-22-2010, 05:40 AM
How did the Sox do last night ?

NLaloosh
04-22-2010, 05:53 AM
Seriously, I'm watching the game last night and I'm thinking how much better this team would look with Carlos Pena instead of Juan Pierre on it?

I know Pena isn't a superstar but if the Sox had him they would upgrade defensively at 1B and Konerko would be the DH which is what he truly is. He's probably the only professional hitter on the team.

Then, without Pierre, Quentin could move back to LF where he belongs and Jones would be the regular RFer which would actually give the Sox good OF defense.

Plus, with a legitimate left handed power hitter in the middle of the lineup, a lot of pressure will be taken off the other guys - particularly Carlos Quentin.

I like Carlos but I don't think that he should be a # 3 hitter or theguy counted on to cary the offense. He's really not that great a hitter. He would be more effective as a # 5 hitter in my opinion.

So, if the Sox had Pena right now instead of Pierre the lineup could look like this:

Rios CF
Teahen 3B
Beckham 2B
Pena 1B
Konerko DH
Quentin LF
Jones RF
A. J. C
Ramirez SS

I would expect the Sox to go after Pena as a free agent after the season.

I wouldn't mind them bringing Paulie back for one more year to DH.

Brian26
04-22-2010, 07:13 AM
The defense was atrocious once again...

Quentin was brutal on two plays. Once again he threw to the wrong base to allow a runner to move into scoring position. Then he played a sacrifice fly like a Little Leaguer.

Konerko screwed up two plays. He didn't catch the pop foul and then committed a throwing error.

Beckham looked bad on one play. He should have called off Konerko and easily caught that pop foul.

Ramirez was out of position on one play. He gave Konerko a target directly in line with the runner, which helped produced Konerko's throwing error.

That's six screwups if you're scoring at home. We looked like a bunch of minor leaguers.

Seven if you count the botched rundown play.

WhiteSox1989
04-22-2010, 07:51 AM
Um. Awful game. For the first time ever, I left a game early. Stayed until the 8th, along with the other 50 people at the ballpark.

The offense sucks.

nsolo
04-22-2010, 07:58 AM
We're only on pace to win 54 games. Right now, this club looks like it's well on its way to doing that.
You must be an optimist.

aryzner
04-22-2010, 08:35 AM
I wish games like that could happen for us and not to us.

I don't think the Sox have the capability for that, though. :\

sullythered
04-22-2010, 08:47 AM
The morning after, I still think this team will finish over .500. Call me overly optimistic if you must, but I think it can and will click.

Cangelosi CF
04-22-2010, 09:24 AM
Fire Greg Walker.

soxinem1
04-22-2010, 09:28 AM
I actually have to take some fault here.

For many years I had a way to get the team out of a rut, and usually it works, if I stay with it.

The cure? I wear white socks and a team tee-shirt under my normal work clothes, even if I have to dress up on a particular day.

After the weekend debacle I did this on Monday and Tuesday, and hey, nice clean, crisp win in the first game. :D:

So what do I do? I didn't wear either the white socks or tee-shirt yesterday!!! :?:

What the hell was I thinking, that two days of this wardrobe enhancement would change this???

I can be such a dumbass sometimes!! :angry: I hope I do not get banned for this.

So today I have myself properly attired. Let's see how it works!!!:cool:

TomBradley72
04-22-2010, 09:48 AM
For the past ~3.5 seasons (starting in mid-2006), we have been completely mediocre. If it wasn't for games #161-#163 in 2008 we would be staring at 5 consecutive seasons without a post season appearance, 3/5 when we were not even in the pennant race (2007,2009, 2010). Our record from the 2006 All Star break forward:

2006 (2nd Half): 33-41,.446, 36 days in 1st place, last: May 20th
2007: 72-90, .444, 2 days in 1st place, last: April 24th
2008: 89-74, .546, 154 days in 1st place, AL Central champs
2009: 79-83. .488, 14 days in 1st place, last: July 23rd
2010: 5-10, .333

Total: 277-298, .482

KW and Ozzie have had a long run (8 seasons), is it time for a change?

I'm concerned with their evaluations of some key players on this team: Teahen as an everyday 3rd baseman (signed to a 3 year deal), Quentin as a RF (he's a LF or a DH), Ramirez as a potential "gold glove" shortstop.

Jerko
04-22-2010, 09:50 AM
IMO Quentin's problem is in his ****in head. That may take longer to fix than recovering from an injury.

masloan
04-22-2010, 09:51 AM
IMO Quentin's problem is in his ****in head. That may take longer to fix than recovering from an injury.

Whatever the issues may be, he is been absolutely brutal. Everyone always says that games in April count the same as games later in the year...so how much longer do they keep Quentin in the 3 spot?

beasly213
04-22-2010, 10:04 AM
:threadrules:

Risk
04-22-2010, 10:10 AM
Fire Greg Walker.

Seconded.

Time to sharpen the axe, and then drop it.:angry:

Risk

WhiteSox1989
04-22-2010, 10:11 AM
Quentin's problem is that he's a ****ing headcase.

hi im skot
04-22-2010, 10:14 AM
Alright, ****'s hit the fan when you snap on the Sox. Wow, I don't even know if this team warrants a response. Simply ashamed to watch this baseball right now.

I hope White Sox management reads this, because they are a shame to all White Sox fans. You have gone from a franchise that won the world series to the laughing stock of the city in a matter of 4 years. I appreciate your lies to try and convince me that the product on the field was going to win a championship, and I am ashamed that you wasted the pitching you got with such a horrible offense.

Peave did not want to go to the Sox because the Sox suck that's why. Not because he had problems with the timing or whatever else he said. I mean, look at Peavy now- look at what the organization has done to him in 15 games. The guy was all about it to start, and now there is nothing. No one wants to win, and I feel bad for Peavy. He should have stayed in San Diego or gone somewhere else. This franchise is lost in its own ****. The pride and tradition crap they pitch is based on keeping the idiots that were part of losing teams.

Look at Walker, what has he done? Why can't we hit people we have never seen? Why can't we hit in general? Why have the averages of players like Gordon Beckham, Pierre, and Quentin degenerated to bull****? Why can't we play defense like a normal team? Who is to blame for this? Why am I being fed the same **** as last year?

Win. That's all, win the ****ing baseball game. It's fairly simple. Don't get swept by the ****Ing Indians, don't make fools of yourself against the Rays, and don't lose the division to a team that has no pitching.

Since last year, I have been repeating the same thing over and over again. This team has no balls, nobody can stand up and do anything when it matters. No body can get the big hit when needed, and nobody can play in pressure situations. We sink the moment the chance arises.

I have been an avid supporter of Ozzie for years, but enough is enough. A man can only do so much talking without having to face the consequences of his own words. You have accomplished nothing since the world series run (no, it is not acceptable to have only won the division). All you have done is blabber about this being this way, about how this will happen if this continues. NOTHING EVER CHANGES! This team is the same pathetic excuse it was last year, the year before that, and the year before that one.

Kenny, you make this excuse about how we are financially strapped. That's fine, but how about you use the 110 million on a worthwhile product. Teams with that kind of payroll have allstars hitting for them, not ****ing *******s hitting for them. Where is the money going to?

Win, win ****ing baseball games. We will show up, we love our team. Stop losing and stop shaming yourselves and we will support you. One thing I will not do is make excuses for you like other people do for other teams in this city. **** that ****! No more excuses for any team in this city! Why should we pay top ****ing dollar to watch the same excuses for teams? No, bring me a product that is worth my money and my time.

No more talking- win.

Epic.

TheOldRoman
04-22-2010, 10:25 AM
nothing. He couldn't make solid contact with the ball if his life depended on it. I'm wondering if his injury was worse than what we initially thought, because his bat on ball skills has diminished quite suddenly.

Kenny needs to clean house. We're looking like the Bears of MLB, we simply can not develope any players whatsoever.Lots of ridiculous posts in this thread, but this flaming pile of **** takes the cake. Kudos. Nobody would offer anything at all for a potential game-changing player who would have cruised to an MVP award had he not injured himself in 2008. Maybe the Sox can throw in some money and get Christian Guzman for him.:rolleyes:

As for Quentin, I know "Walker helped straighten him out in 2008" (he was healthy after having an injured shoulder the year before), but since Walker has had more time to work with Quentin, what has he become? Trying to smash everything 600 feet over the left field fence. From a guy who started on fire in 2008 to another face in the crowd who is off to an ice cold start this year. I'm sure it is just a coincidence, though.

SoxGirl4Life
04-22-2010, 10:28 AM
I actually have to take some fault here.

For many years I had a way to get the team out of a rut, and usually it works, if I stay with it.

The cure? I wear white socks and a team tee-shirt under my normal work clothes, even if I have to dress up on a particular day.

After the weekend debacle I did this on Monday and Tuesday, and hey, nice clean, crisp win in the first game. :D:

So what do I do? I didn't wear either the white socks or tee-shirt yesterday!!! :?:

What the hell was I thinking, that two days of this wardrobe enhancement would change this???

I can be such a dumbass sometimes!! :angry: I hope I do not get banned for this.

So today I have myself properly attired. Let's see how it works!!!:cool:

No no, its my fault. If I wear black, they win. Opening day, black sweater. Tuesday, black sweater. Yesterday? BLUE! Today, I'm wearing a black and white sweater, so we should be good.

WhiteSoxFTW
04-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Epic.

+1 :clap:

GoGoCrede
04-22-2010, 10:36 AM
No no, its my fault. If I wear black, they win. Opening day, black sweater. Tuesday, black sweater. Yesterday? BLUE! Today, I'm wearing a black and white sweater, so we should be good.

I didn't know you went last night! I would have come by to say hi, but I got the hell outta dodge.

Anyway, today's a new day, and I think the cold was messing with my brain, which is why I snapped earlier in the thread. All we can do is try to take the series and move forward.

Edit - Some postgame comments (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100421&content_id=9471132&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws). Mostly it's Ozzie saying he believes in the players. I think he's repeating himself.

SoxGirl4Life
04-22-2010, 10:37 AM
I didn't know you went last night! I would have come by to say hi, but I got the hell outta dodge.

Anyway, today's a new day, and I think the cold was messing with my brain, which is why I snapped earlier in the thread. All we can do is try to take the series and move forward.

Oh, I didn't go. I told you, I'm not going again until its 80 degrees! This superstition extends to me just watching or listening to the game.

Brave you for toughing it out last night!

CLUBHOUSE KID
04-22-2010, 11:12 AM

No more talking- win.

BEST. POST. EVER. I mean it! This is EXACTLY what the TRUTH is. Anyone who denies that just does not want to face the truth. I wonder what it would be like withOUT 2005.

SI1020
04-22-2010, 11:24 AM
For the past ~3.5 seasons (starting in mid-2006), we have been completely mediocre. If it wasn't for games #161-#163 in 2008 we would be staring at 5 consecutive seasons without a post season appearance, 3/5 when we were not even in the pennant race (2007,2009, 2010). Our record from the 2006 All Star break forward:

2006 (2nd Half): 33-41,.446, 36 days in 1st place, last: May 20th
2007: 72-90, .444, 2 days in 1st place, last: April 24th
2008: 89-74, .546, 154 days in 1st place, AL Central champs
2009: 79-83. .488, 14 days in 1st place, last: July 23rd
2010: 5-10, .333

Total: 277-298, .482

KW and Ozzie have had a long run (8 seasons), is it time for a change?

I'm concerned with their evaluations of some key players on this team: Teahen as an everyday 3rd baseman (signed to a 3 year deal), Quentin as a RF (he's a LF or a DH), Ramirez as a potential "gold glove" shortstop. People are catching on that the Sox have been spinning their wheels or worse for over three years. For a long time this sort of evaluation was not well received at all. I just wonder that even under the best of circumstances how long will it take to turn this thing around.

TomBradley72
04-22-2010, 11:26 AM
BEST. POST. EVER. I mean it! This is EXACTLY what the TRUTH is. Anyone who denies that just does not want to face the truth. I wonder what it would be like withOUT 2005.

Without 2005, we'd have a new GM and manager by now.

KW took over in 2001, this is his 10th season as GM, without 2005, all we'd have is the 2008 division championship.

Law11
04-22-2010, 11:34 AM
This season is what I couldnt wait for? Anyone else feeling like you been had. Not that I felt this team was gonna be planning any parades anytime soon but come on.

TheOldRoman
04-22-2010, 11:40 AM
Without 2005, we'd have a new GM and manager by now.

KW took over in 2001, this is his 10th season as GM, without 2005, all we'd have is the 2008 division championship.Yeah, and wouldn't have, you know, a world championship. I think any rational franchise is going to give a GM/manager 5 seasons when they had one divisional title, one good season where there where two better teams in the division, one bad season and one horrible season. Like it or not, winning a world championship gives them some slack, especially since Kenny took a huge risk and went againt the grain in constructing the 05 team. I think if the Sox finished in 3rd or 4th place in 05, as people expected, Kenny would have been fired. For as much as some people want to marginalize things, Kenny "built" the 2005 team more than any other world champion over the last decade. He gets 100% of the credit for that. I am not saying he should have a lifetime pass because of it, but the "anybody could have managed the 05 team to a title" morons are also implying trading Lee and letting Ordonez leave were no-brainers.

By the way, your above post is disingenuous at best. Counting 2010 in the "not even in the pennant race" category is mind-blowingly ridiculous 15 games into the season. I agree with some points of that post and disagree with others, but that part is just assinine.

Paulwny
04-22-2010, 11:49 AM

That's impossible, all the experts here said the Twins couldn't win outside a dome.

TomBradley72
04-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Yeah, and wouldn't have, you know, a world championship. I think any rational franchise is going to give a GM/manager 5 seasons when they had one divisional title, one good season where there where two better teams in the division, one bad season and one horrible season. Like it or not, winning a world championship gives them some slack, especially since Kenny took a huge risk and went againt the grain in constructing the 05 team. I think if the Sox finished in 3rd or 4th place in 05, as people expected, Kenny would have been fired. For as much as some people want to marginalize things, Kenny "built" the 2005 team more than any other world champion over the last decade. He gets 100% of the credit for that. I am not saying he should have a lifetime pass because of it, but the "anybody could have managed the 05 team to a title" morons are also implying trading Lee and letting Ordonez leave were no-brainers.

By the way, your above post is disingenuous at best. Counting 2010 in the "not even in the pennant race" category is mind-blowingly ridiculous 15 games into the season. I agree with some points of that post and disagree with others, but that part is just assinine.

No one gives KW and Ozzie more credit and gratitude for 2005 than I do. But the follow up to 2005 has been mediocre, exposing an overall organizational weakness: the farm system. KW has pulled off brilliant moves making the most of the situation (Thornton for Borchard, TCQ, Danks for Brandon, Floyd from Philly, etc.), but 2/3 seasons < .500 and a horrendous start have to raise questions regarding the need to change.

I'll save your comments on 2010, time will tell if we truly contend with the Twins for the division title this year. The assessment still stands even if you only focus on 2007-2009.

WhiteSox1989
04-22-2010, 01:04 PM
Ozzie obviously has more important issues to worry about than this team-like waiting for Comcast to come to his house.

tstrike2000
04-22-2010, 01:19 PM
Fire Greg Walker.

I don't usually comment on Walker, but I'd welcome the change.

JB98
04-22-2010, 01:24 PM

No more talking- win.

Awesome. It is most certainly time for the bull**** to end.

Kenny and Ozzie (especially Ozzie) act like they deserve the benefit of the doubt from the fans. They don't. We've endured two losing seasons in the last three years. 2005 was five years ago. That's forever in pro sports. We've had only one playoff win since.

79-83 last year + an uninspiring offseason + 5-10 start = horse****.

If the Sox have such a good team, cut the **** and show us how good you are. I guarantee you I'll show up at the park and cheer as loudly as anyone if this team wins.

JB98
04-22-2010, 01:26 PM

With each passing day, more and more are joining our movement. :cool:

BainesHOF
04-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Seven if you count the botched rundown play.

Oops. Didn't see that one.

TheOldRoman
04-22-2010, 01:37 PM
No one gives KW and Ozzie more credit and gratitude for 2005 than I do. But the follow up to 2005 has been mediocre, exposing an overall organizational weakness: the farm system. KW has pulled off brilliant moves making the most of the situation (Thornton for Borchard, TCQ, Danks for Brandon, Floyd from Philly, etc.), but 2/3 seasons < .500 and a horrendous start have to raise questions regarding the need to change.

I'll save your comments on 2010, time will tell if we truly contend with the Twins for the division title this year. The assessment still stands even if you only focus on 2007-2009.I don't disagree with you, other than chalking this year up as a horrible season already. The farm system from 05-09 was Kenny's fault since he oversaw it. Farm systems are mostly nothing but hype (since the number of promising prospects who pan out is so small), but they are still important. Kenny has been able to acquire guys regardless. He has been able to spin junk into good players before, so I don't think not having prospects to trade was the problem. The problem was not having organizational depth; nobody could step in for injuries or even give us a mediocre season. For the good things he has done, letting the farm system become bad should be counted against him. However, it has started to turn around.

I like the moves KW made in this offseason, as people don't realize this is the most complete team the Sox have had in the last five years. That gets lost in the rush to declare Pierre horrible/wash up and Teahen a huge mistake because they didn't hit .500 the first week of the season. We certainly aren't the yankees offensively, but we don't have any Anderson/Wise/Fields/Getz or even bullpen holes like we had in past years. I think this will be a pretty good team, but we will see. The biggest problem remains unaddressed, since the hitters apparnetly go up to the plate with no idea what to do. Everybody is rightfully upset about the hitting, but what the hell do we expect? Anybody who has watched the Sox the past 7 years knows that is what they do. It is okay, they will hit when it gets warm, tip your cap, etc. Other than Konerko, there has been one consistent aspect in that time period, and it has held this team back. This team isn't loaded offensively, but the talent level isn't the problem.

This year is very important for the Sox. I think Ozzie won't be back next year because of a blow-up or otherwise. He should be held accountable for horrible performance and his standing by incompetant staff. Kenny is going to feel the heat also if this team doesn't make the playoffs. 2005 had wiped the slate clean for Kenny, and I don't think having two good seasons, one horrible one and one bad one since 2005 would get a GM or manager fired outside of NY. But this year is pivitol. Despite all the Twin fellating going on, the Sox should top the Twins, and if they don't heads need to roll (other than but including the hitting coach).

tstrike2000
04-22-2010, 04:04 PM

The hitting coach is such a futile argument for so many people because you have the hitting coach isn't the problem camp, the hitting coach is the problem camp, and the major league level hitters really don't need a hitting coach camp. However, as has been pointed out a million times, this offense has been garbage too many times over the last 4 1/2 years. I don't see something like Ozzie getting axed, but it is time to do something. Please start with the hitting coach.

ChiSoxGirl
04-22-2010, 04:06 PM

No more talking- win.

Absolutely brilliant! :thumbsup:

I think you two can now count me as one who has come to the other side, too. Last night was just too much to take. For the first time this season, I had a chance to sit down and watch a game in its entirety on a non-cable station and this is what I was treated to?! It was painful in every sense of the word. Their inability to hit a pitcher they've never seen before is not only ridiculous, but an act that has grown old. No other teams- not even the likes of the Royals or Indians, who were supposed to be worse than us- have as much trouble with a pitcher they've never seen before as the Sox. I know Wade Davis threw a no-hitter in High A ball three years ago, but this is the major leagues and major league ballplayers should look better at the plate than our guys do.

I waited all winter for Opening Day and the start of a new baseball season; to say I'm disappointed would be a serious understatement. I love going to games as much as the next person, but if this continues, I'm not so sure how often I'm going to be spending my money to go down to the ballpark for an afternoon or evening. I could take that money and save it for one of my summer trips this year or the cruise I want to take in 2011.

Milkman43
04-22-2010, 04:07 PM
Quentin looks awful

DickAllen72
04-22-2010, 04:42 PM
The farm system from 05-09 was Kenny's fault since he oversaw it. Farm systems are mostly nothing but hype (since the number of promising prospects who pan out is so small), but they are still important. Kenny has been able to acquire guys regardless. He has been able to spin junk into good players before, so I don't think not having prospects to trade was the problem. The problem was not having organizational depth; nobody could step in for injuries or even give us a mediocre season. For the good things he has done, letting the farm system become bad should be counted against him. However, it has started to turn around.
I still blame Dave Wilder for most of the problems with the White Sox minor league depth. KW was stabbed in the back and the Sox organization was swindled and seriously harmed by his corrupt activities.

Lip Man 1
04-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Dick:

All true but who hired him?

Lip

Waysouthsider
04-22-2010, 05:44 PM
All I know is that this season is rapidly becoming unbearable......

:whiner:

DickAllen72
04-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Dick:

All true but who hired him?

Lip
I'm not sure. Was it Kenny? I remember reading that Kenny and Wilder were supposedly real good friends. Seems as if Wilder really stabbed Kenny in the back. Makes me feel even worse for KW. I hope Wilder rots in prison.

happydude
04-22-2010, 06:13 PM

No more talking- win.

Now THIS is how you rant. It was easy to see, in my mind's eye, guillensdisciple hunched over a keyboard, eyebrows furrowed, typing furiously. :smile:

NLaloosh
04-22-2010, 06:33 PM
Two things have been said that are true that I don't understand.

1. Why we can't we ever put a good defensive team on the field ?

2. Why is it that we have so few players that come through in the clutch ? Especially offensively ?

Actually, that's the reason that I wanted Pods back this year because he was more clutch than anyone last year.

It just seems like our guys come through so much less often than the players on other teams when it comes to crunch time. And, not just this year.

BringHomeDaBacon
04-22-2010, 07:45 PM

2. Why is it that we have so few players that come through in the clutch ? Especially offensively ?

Actually, that's the reason that I wanted Pods back this year because he was more clutch than anyone last year.

It just seems like our guys come through so much less often than the players on other teams when it comes to crunch time. And, not just this year.

Not only did Pods lead the team in hitting (.304), he was .317 w/ 2 outs RISP, .280 Late and close games, and .346 with the game tied. Somehow all this wasn't good enough.

TDog
04-22-2010, 07:53 PM
The offense sucks.

The pitching/defense gave up 12 runs. The offense didn't need to suck for the Sox to lose this one.

JB98
04-22-2010, 07:56 PM
The pitching/defense gave up 12 runs. The offense didn't need to suck for the Sox to lose this one.

True, but poor offense has been far more costly than pitching or defense so far this season.

Sox record when scoring four runs or more: 5-1
Sox record when scoring three runs or less: 0-9

The offense has let down the pitching several times. The pitching has let down the offense once, maybe twice.

Frater Perdurabo
04-22-2010, 08:25 PM

Game. Set. Match.

Johnny Mostil
04-22-2010, 11:28 PM

This made me curious about the Sox record in games scoring three runs or less in recent years. I've no observation besides the numbers.

2010: 0-10
2009: 8-59
2008: 11-54
2007: 12-60
2006: 7-45
2005: 22-38
2004: 7-50
2003: 10-50
2002: 6-56
2001: 13-49
2000: 9-34

Tragg
04-22-2010, 11:31 PM

1. Because management doesn't consider defense to be important; particularly curious considering that D probably won the WS.
2. Because we have so few good hitters; mediocre hitters, that his manager absolutely loves, simply don't come through in the clutch or any other time.

soxinem1
04-23-2010, 09:11 PM
Yeah, and wouldn't have, you know, a world championship. I think any rational franchise is going to give a GM/manager 5 seasons when they had one divisional title, one good season where there where two better teams in the division, one bad season and one horrible season. Like it or not, winning a world championship gives them some slack, especially since Kenny took a huge risk and went againt the grain in constructing the 05 team. I think if the Sox finished in 3rd or 4th place in 05, as people expected, Kenny would have been fired. For as much as some people want to marginalize things, Kenny "built" the 2005 team more than any other world champion over the last decade. He gets 100% of the credit for that. I am not saying he should have a lifetime pass because of it, but the "anybody could have managed the 05 team to a title" morons are also implying trading Lee and letting Ordonez leave were no-brainers.

You might be suprised if you counted the World Series winners of the last 30 years and saw how many of those teams managers were gone less than three seasons later.............