PDA

View Full Version : The Cubs now have the most expensive reliever in MLB history

1908<2005
04-21-2010, 04:52 PM
Or at least I think so

thekapman
Carlos Zambrano to the bullpen effective Friday. Solid move if he is mentally into it. At least the Cubs are trying to do something!

Frontman
04-21-2010, 04:53 PM
Per Twitter from Dave Kaplan and Paul Sullivan. Just picked it up on CSNChicago's website.

http://twitter.com/PWSullivan
http://twitter.com/ChiTribuneLive
http://twitter.com/thekapman

Let the excuses roll now!

Vestigio
04-21-2010, 05:10 PM
Zambrano to the pen but Silva remains in the rotation?:rolling::roflmao:

Shoeless
04-21-2010, 05:11 PM
Let's 1-up them by putting Rios, Jenks, and Pierre in the bullpen to match their bullpen salary influx.

SOXPHILE
04-21-2010, 05:16 PM
They've been talking about this on the Score for about the last 20 minutes or so. This has got to be in the top 5 of the funniest / stupidest things I have ever heard the Cubs do. I keep thinking it's a joke, but it doesn't sound like it is. Awesome ! :rolling:

Frontman
04-21-2010, 05:16 PM
You know, a few years back after both Mark Buehrle and Zambrano threw their no-hitters; I had a Cubs fan ask me if I'd still take Mark over Carlos as the ace of a pitching staff. I told him yes.

I wonder what his answer will be come tomorrow when I ask him if he still would want "Big Z" as their ace.

Shoeless
04-21-2010, 05:19 PM
I'm sure great Ace pitchers are going to love pitching the 7th through 9th for the Cubbies. Jake Peavy, this could have been you!

VMSNS
04-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Just curious, but what is the reasoning for this? Who is going to fill his spot in the rotation? Marshall?

WizardsofOzzie
04-21-2010, 05:35 PM
Just curious, but what is the reasoning for this? Who is going to fill his spot in the rotation? Marshall?
They are speculating that Lou is tired of the bullpen losing games, and is grasping at straws. Lilly will be replacing Zambrano when he comes off the DL Saturday

The Critic
04-21-2010, 05:36 PM
Zambrano to the pen but Silva remains in the rotation?:rolling::roflmao:

Silva's been solid to start the year. Gorzelanny, too. Zambrano, not as much.
Why not ride Silva until he falters? It's not a bad move at all IMO.

GoGoCrede
04-21-2010, 05:37 PM
:o: I heard about this the other week and figured it was some beat reporter trying to get people to read his blog.

Wow....heh, heh, heh....

WizardsofOzzie
04-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Silva's been solid to start the year. Gorzelanny, too. Zambrano, not as much.
Why not ride Silva until he falters? It's not a bad move at all IMO.
Zambrano only allowed 2 runs in his last start over 6 IP. What happens when Silva or Gorzelanny start to get knocked around? I don't know much about a pitchers mentality but I doubt Zambrano would be ready to start again at the flip of a switch after spending an extended amount of time in the bullpen.

MARTINMVP
04-21-2010, 05:41 PM
They are assuming that the rest of their starting staff is going to continue good outings. Really? Carlos Silvia is going to be a reliable starter for the rest of the year?

This move of moving Zambrano to the pen can get ugly fast, especially if Silvia pitches tonight like he did most of last year (that would be typical Cubs luck, right?). I'm not sold that he is going to be a solid starter in the long-term.

CWSpalehoseCWS
04-21-2010, 05:47 PM
Z does realize it's going to be pretty hard to win that Cy Young coming out of the pen, doesn't he?

JermaineDye05
04-21-2010, 05:49 PM
Both Chicago teams have gotten off to dreadful starts. The Cubs a bit worse considering their bullpen issues. Losing Guzman really hurt them.

soxnut1018
04-21-2010, 05:53 PM
Even if Zambrano is just an above average starter he has much more value to the Cubs than if he's a phenomenal setup man. This makes absolutely no sense.

Sargeant79
04-21-2010, 06:03 PM
:o:

It's now got to be a tossup as to what the dumbest move in a long history of dumb Cub moves actually is: This move today or actually signing him to that bloated contract to begin with.

doublem23
04-21-2010, 06:04 PM
That is ****in ridiculous.

The Critic
04-21-2010, 06:07 PM
Zambrano only allowed 2 runs in his last start over 6 IP. What happens when Silva or Gorzelanny start to get knocked around? I don't know much about a pitchers mentality but I doubt Zambrano would be ready to start again at the flip of a switch after spending an extended amount of time in the bullpen.

I don't think this is a huge deal. It's just Lou moving the overall least-effective of the three on a temporary basis. And maybe it's a chance to let Zambrano worry about one inning at a time instead of thinking about pitching six or seven (or less :D:) for a while.

WizardsofOzzie
04-21-2010, 06:09 PM
I don't think this is a huge deal. It's just Lou moving the overall least-effective of the three on a temporary basis. And maybe it's a chance to let Zambrano worry about one inning at a time instead of thinking about pitching six or seven (or less :D:) for a while.

The situation hinges on the word TEMPORARY. There is an awful lot of debate if this is a temporary move or not.

soltrain21
04-21-2010, 06:15 PM
Wait wait wait. So they are just moving him to the bullpen because their bullpen sucks?

Huisj
04-21-2010, 06:17 PM
The funny thing is, people have talked about his bad start to the season and how he's been hit so hard, but it's really just been that first start against Atlanta that has thrown it all off. In his three starts since then, he's thrown 18 innings with 20 H, 8 BB, 25 K, and a 4.00 ERA. Those aren't amazing, but it's not like they show signs that he's going to be bad.

Also, anyone else notice how much of the ESPN.com article about this has a giant multi-paragraph quote from Pierzynski about it? Weird. Just because he happened to be on AM 1000, they make half his radio interview into talking about this, and then write it up in a story? :?:

Rockabilly
04-21-2010, 06:21 PM
Kudos goes out to Lou..

DirtySox
04-21-2010, 06:21 PM
Wait wait wait. So they are just moving him to the bullpen because their bullpen sucks?

Pretty much.

Boondock Saint
04-21-2010, 06:30 PM
This is an incredibly short-sighted solution to a short term problem. Like him or not, he is that team's ace, and placing him in the bullpen is not doing your team any favors. Yeah, Silva is pitching well, and they can afford to put a starter in the pen, so why not put Marshall or Gorzelanny in the pen?

guillensdisciple
04-21-2010, 06:33 PM
The Cubs are the world's dumbest sporting franchise.

TDog
04-21-2010, 06:40 PM
I have heard this is only going to be for a few days, if that. I don't think it's such a bad idea.

Starting pitchers used to go to the bullpen to work out problems from time to time. In June 1974, Jim Kaat was 4-6 with the White Sox with an ERA approaching 5 and Harry Caray screaming that he needed to be released and forced into retirement.

Kaat came into three games in relief, earning a win in one and being tagged with a loss in another. He went back to the starting rotation, and for the rest of June had three complete-game wins -- one in extra innings -- and lost a 2-1 game where he pitched eight innings. He ended up winning 21 games on the season. In his last game of the season he beat Doug Bird 2-1 in a game that lasted 1 hour and 40 minutes.

Zambrano's salary is irrelevant. If Piniella believes Zambrano will be a better pitcher and the Cubs will have a better bullpen if Zambrano spends a few days as a reliever, I have no reason not to trust his judgement. Piniella's been around for a long time and he's seen a lot of baseball. He even faced Kaat in relief in 1974.

Rockabilly
04-21-2010, 06:45 PM
I wonder if the Flub fans think that Z is still better than Buehrle or Peavy

04-21-2010, 06:52 PM
Maybe they will take Linebrink for him. :D:

Frontman
04-21-2010, 06:53 PM
I wonder if the Flub fans think that Z is still better than Buehrle or Peavy

I'm sure they will; and then ask when did Mark ever save an important game.

TDog
04-21-2010, 07:09 PM
I'm sure they will; and then ask when did Mark ever save an important game.

I, for one, found this post hilarious for all the right reasons.

Well played.

havelj
04-21-2010, 07:17 PM
So far this year in 4 appearances, Zambrano has these stats in the 1st inning:

IP-4
Hits-10
Walks-3
Runs-7
ERA-15.75
OBA-.542
Whip-3.25
Average-.476

How will that work in the 8th inning when he first comes in?

doublem23
04-21-2010, 07:18 PM

Lilly is also apparently just about ready to come back so they need to make room.

Frontman
04-21-2010, 07:19 PM
How will that work in the 8th inning when he first comes in?

Usually by the 8th inning the Gatorade dispenser is empty anyways.

Brian26
04-21-2010, 07:21 PM
Let's 1-up them by putting Rios, Jenks, and Pierre in the bullpen to match their bullpen salary influx.

Sounds great since Jenks is already in the bullpen, Rios is the only guy on the team hitting the ball hard on offense, and Pierre probably has the worst position player arm on the team.

Craig Grebeck
04-21-2010, 07:24 PM
Pretty much a terrible idea.

Noneck
04-21-2010, 07:27 PM
It really is a gutsy move by Piniella. It is probably a squeeze move for the GM and management to get him another reliefer. I can imagine ownerships reaction, putting the highest paid pitcher on the staff as a setup guy after a couple weeks into the season.

konerko 14
04-21-2010, 07:34 PM
Sounds great since Jenks is already in the bullpen, Rios is the only guy on the team hitting the ball hard on offense, and Pierre probably has the worst position player arm on the team.

Konerko's not hitting the ball hard?

russ99
04-21-2010, 08:23 PM
Lilly is also apparently just about ready to come back so they need to make room.

Yeah, but do you want a rehabbing Lilly starting or a potentially dominant Zambrano.

Dumb, dumb idea. No love lost, but I hope he doesn't get hurt during this idiotic experiment. Starters and relievers have very different workloads.

thomas35forever
04-21-2010, 08:44 PM
So their most recognizable name in the rotation is now in the bullpen. If they didn't owe him so much money, they'd probably be close to DFA'ing him. However, they're stuck with two bad contracts now, the other being Soriano.

NardiWasHere
04-21-2010, 09:09 PM
So their most recognizable name in the rotation is now in the bullpen. If they didn't owe him so much money, they'd probably be close to DFA'ing him. However, they're stuck with two bad contracts now, the other being Soriano.

It's not like he has pitched that bad. I don't think they'd drop a guy who's gonna give you 200 decent innings.

That's why this doesn't make any sense.

Zambrano may be a goofball and he has been a little overrated in his career, but he isn't a bad player.

Is he eventually going to close games with Marmol going back to a setup role?

Is there anyone who can explain this? Nothing makes sense to me. If I were a Cub fan, I'd be pissed off and confused.

C-Dawg
04-21-2010, 09:29 PM
Zambrano is too much of a head case to be successful in relief. Imagine him coming in with two men on and no outs? He'll be a basket case.

WhiteSox5187
04-21-2010, 10:38 PM
I don't get this at all. I know Zambrano had a miserable opening day outting, but hasn't he been fairly good since then? I just don't get this move at all.

jabrch
04-22-2010, 12:40 AM
It's like trading away an all-star...

WhiteSox5187
04-22-2010, 02:13 AM
It's like trading away an all-star...

He hasn't been an All Star pitcher for awhile. He's not the dominant ace he was in 2006 (even in 2007 he had a 3.95 ERA), but still he gives you a lot of innings and a sub 4 ERA, I have no clue why they are making this move.

bridgeportcopper
04-22-2010, 02:26 PM
Anyone else think this may be a convenient excuse for a Cubbie cover-up? Remember when Kerry Wood was made into a reliever it was due to injury...... Carlos did have that cramping issue rear it's head again in his last start, maybe they figure with Lilly coming back, this is a good time to get a few innings out of Zambrano here and there rather than deal with that b.s. each time he goes more than 4 innings all summer, or maybe there is even more to it behind the cubbie curtain.

TDog
04-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Anyone else think this may be a convenient excuse for a Cubbie cover-up? Remember when Kerry Wood was made into a reliever it was due to injury...... Carlos did have that cramping issue rear it's head again in his last start, maybe they figure with Lilly coming back, this is a good time to get a few innings out of Zambrano here and there rather than deal with that b.s. each time he goes more than 4 innings all summer, or maybe there is even more to it behind the cubbie curtain.

You could be right, but thee is no reason to believe such a thing other than a distrust for Cubs management.

I think it's more plausible that Zambrano is going to the bullpen temporarily to work out a few issues. It's old school and something the kids don't understand, but the Cubs have an old school manager.

The Critic
04-22-2010, 03:38 PM
The situation hinges on the word TEMPORARY. There is an awful lot of debate if this is a temporary move or not.

Carlos Silva being a dependable starting pitcher is definitely temporary.
:D:

NardiWasHere
04-22-2010, 08:57 PM
I think it's more plausible that Zambrano is going to the bullpen temporarily to work out a few issues. It's old school and something the kids don't understand, but the Cubs have an old school manager.

If that's the case, why not just come out and say it?

TDog
04-23-2010, 02:16 AM

I thought he did.

WizardsofOzzie
04-23-2010, 10:16 AM
I thought he did.

Lou has yet to say it's a temporary move just to work out some "kinks"

Asked about Zambrano's comment that he told Piniella his only request was to return to the rotation for the playoffs, the Cubs' manager confirmed it was mentioned.
"The playoffs are a long, long, long way away," Piniella said. "Let's just get through April."
So, could Zambrano be in the Cubs' bullpen the rest of the season?
"Look, let's just not put a timeframe on that," he said. "Let's just not do that."

WhiteSoxFTW
04-23-2010, 02:14 PM

Because, I don't think the Cubs want to publicly say that there is something wrong with Zambrano. They will justify it any other way.

From what I heard on B&B a couple days ago, the early analysis of Zambrano's pitches shows that he has a release point issue with his out pitch, his cutter. His release point and his velocity are down. In previous years he has had this same issue, and in those years he either went on the DL or skipped several starts.

GoGoCrede
04-24-2010, 02:33 AM
Carl pokes fun at this new development. (http://www.smellslikemascot.com/2010/04/comic-relief-for-sox-fans.html)

JermaineDye05
04-24-2010, 09:22 PM
Cubs are up 2-0 in the 7th with Grabow in.

We could see the $91 million setup man tonight. I think he'll do fine, because he's still a good pitcher with great stuff. He's just being wasted in the bullpen quite obviously.

JermaineDye05
04-24-2010, 09:28 PM
And he's in.

WizardsofOzzie
04-25-2010, 11:11 AM
And he's in.

1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K

Sounds about what I would have expected

Frontman
04-25-2010, 11:19 AM
Anyone have any clue as to why during a Sox/Mariner's game; they had to show "Big Z" and explain his move to the 'pen?

doublem23
04-25-2010, 11:51 AM
Anyone have any clue as to why during a Sox/Mariner's game; they had to show "Big Z" and explain his move to the 'pen?

Because its a national show so they try to appeal to broad base of fans.