PDA

View Full Version : Why Is Pierre In Left?

SouthSideHitman
04-21-2010, 03:45 PM
Hey all WSIers, I haven't been here in a while (long story) so forgive my potential ignorance if this has already been discussed elsewhere.

I have to admit I've been real bullish on Andruw Jones since spring training and he seems to be backing me up so far. My question is this, why isn't Ozzie putting him in the outfield? We've got a DH with a mantle full of gold gloves and a left-fielder with no arm who can't find a decent route to a ball with a roadmap. Does this have anyone else screaming at the TV lineups every night, or am I crazy?

balke
04-21-2010, 03:48 PM
You make a good point. I think maybe that's what we will see down the road. I think TCQ and Pierre will go back and forth at DH/LF. I think Andruw just has to do a little more to be trusted everyday. Consistency will earn him that right soon I think.

TDog
04-21-2010, 03:53 PM
The White Sox have every reason to believe Pierre will hit. He isn't a bad outfielder and has speed, but he has a weak arm.

You might instead ask why Quentin is in right. It isn't as if he has no business playing in the field, but Jones would probably provide better defense there.

SouthSideHitman
04-21-2010, 04:00 PM
I guess I should specify. I'm not necessarily saying that we should bench Pierre, I'm saying that we should at least DH him though. I just don't see any argument for why he should be playing left other than "you don't put a slap lead-off hitter in DH."

TDog
04-21-2010, 04:12 PM
I guess I should specify. I'm not necessarily saying that we should bench Pierre, I'm saying that we should at least DH him though. I just don't see any argument for why he should be playing left other than "you don't put a slap lead-off hitter in DH."

You could DH Pierre and put Quentin in left or you could DH Quentin and keep Pierre in left. Pierre is probably better in left than Quentin was and Jones would probably be better in right than Quentin is.

I don't think any of the players mentioned here, however, are horrible outfielders.

Dibbs
04-21-2010, 04:20 PM
Ozzie knows what he's doing....or not. Jones is our first or second best outfielder. He should definitely be playing RF. Quentin back to left.

BringHomeDaBacon
04-21-2010, 06:19 PM
Makes no sense whatsoever.

Earlier this year, Jones started in CF with Rios in LF. If Jones is good enough to play CF (and over Rios) he's certainly better than either Pierre or Quentin.

Sometimes Ozzie's logic smacks of a monkey throwing darts at a lineup card.

Noneck
04-21-2010, 06:33 PM
Hopefully when and if Jones becomes a full time player, he plays either CF or RF. Quentin should only play right if Jones or Rios is on bench. Or if either needs a rest and has to DH.

HangWiffum
04-21-2010, 07:08 PM
hopefully he hits the ball out of the infield sometime soon. he is really hurting the guys behind him by not being on base. he needs to start hitting immediately. if/when he does i predict they will go on a run.

russ99
04-21-2010, 07:28 PM
hopefully he hits the ball out of the infield sometime soon. he is really hurting the guys behind him by not being on base. he needs to start hitting immediately. if/when he does i predict they will go on a run.

With Pierre, it isn't about hitting them out of the infield, it's hitting them where they ain't and legging out a hit.

I'd like to see Juan drag bunt more. It seems that usually he either hits it to the second baseman or bunts right to the pitcher. He has been unlucky on some bunts and shots down the first base line, though.

But the guy's been a solid .300 hitter his whole career. I'm sure he'll pick it up. As for those clamoring for him on base, that's not going to happen the amount you expect. Juan doesn't walk much.

BainesHOF
04-21-2010, 07:36 PM
Jones needs to play the field EVERY time he's in the lineup.

Somebody needs to ask Ozzie about why Jones is the DH tonight. I'd imagine a follow-up or two question would be in order after Ozzie gives a dumb answer to the first one. The only justification would be if Jones is injured and that doesn't seem to be the case.

I think Ozzie needs to manage the Cubs.

voodoochile
04-21-2010, 07:38 PM
Jones needs to play the field EVERY time he's in the lineup.

Somebody needs to ask Ozzie about why Jones is the DH tonight. I'd imagine a follow-up or two question would be in order after Ozzie gives a dumb answer to the first one. The only justification would be if Jones is injured and that doesn't seem to be the case.

I think Ozzie needs to manage the Cubs.

Right on the fine edge of trolling there, BHOF...

WhiteSox5187
04-21-2010, 09:26 PM
I'm not sure if Jones can play CF everyday anymore. I know he is vastly improved this year, but he looked mighty weak in the OF for LA and Texas.

doublem23
04-21-2010, 09:56 PM
I'm not sure if Jones can play CF everyday anymore. I know he is vastly improved this year, but he looked mighty weak in the OF for LA and Texas.

He can't. Or at least he shouldn't be starting in CF as long as Rios is around. LF is the least important defensive position in the game. Arguing over who should be playing there or who should be DHing is a waste of time when this team's facing far, far, far, far more pressing issues.

tick53
04-21-2010, 11:15 PM
C'mon everybody. Don't you know? It's first come first serve with the White Sox. It doesn't matter how bad you are. :tsk:

BainesHOF
04-22-2010, 12:40 AM
He can't. Or at least he shouldn't be starting in CF as long as Rios is around. LF is the least important defensive position in the game. Arguing over who should be playing there or who should be DHing is a waste of time when this team's facing far, far, far, far more pressing issues.

It's not a waste of time, and Wednesday's game was a perfect example.

Quentin has no business being in right with Rios and Jones in the lineup. One should be in center and the other in right. Yet there was Quentin in right tonight, throwing to the wrong base as he always does to allow a runner to move into scoring position and also playing a sacrifice fly like a Little Leaguer.