PDA

View Full Version : Thursday Anniversary

Lip Man 1
04-21-2010, 02:20 AM
Of the strangest inning in the history of the White Sox franchise:

April 22, 1959 - In one of the most bizarre innings in baseball history, the Sox get eleven runs in the 7th inning as part of their 20 - 6 win at Kansas City. The ‘uniqueness’ of it is that fact that those eleven runs scored on only one hit! It took 45 minutes to play. Here is the play by play from it:

WHITE SOX 7TH: GORMAN REPLACED WARD (PITCHING); Ray Boone reached on an error by DeMaestri ; [B]Al Smith reached on an error on a sacrifice bunt by Smith ; [B]Johnny Callison singled to right ; [B]Luis Aparicio walked; Aparicio stole second; Bob Shaw walked; EARL TORGESON BATTED FOR SAMMY ESPOSITO; FREEMAN REPLACED GORMAN (PITCHING); Torgeson walked (walk was charged to Gorman) [Callison scored, Aparicio to third, Shaw to second]; Nellie Fox walked [Aparicio scored, Shaw to third, Torgeson to second]; Jim Landis forced Shaw (pitcher to catcher) [Torgeson to third, Fox to second]; Sherm Lollar walked [Torgeson scored (unearned), Fox to third, Landis to second]; BRUNET REPLACED FREEMAN (PITCHING); Boone walked [Fox scored (unearned), Landis to third, Lollar to second]; Smith walked [Landis scored (unearned), Lollar to third, Boone to second]; Callison was hit by a pitch [Lollar scored (unearned), Boone to third, Smith to second]; LOU SKIZAS RAN FOR CALLISON; Aparicio walked ; Shaw struck out; “[B]BUBBA” PHILLIPS BATTED FOR TORGESON; Phillips walked [Smith scored (unearned), Skizas to third, Aparicio to second]; Fox walked [Skizas scored (unearned), Aparicio to third, Phillips to second]; Landis grounded out (pitcher to first); 11 R (2 ER), 1 H, 3 E, 3 LOB.

Lip

TDog
04-21-2010, 02:46 AM
And a decade later, a Johnny Callison single knocked the 1969 Cubs out of first place during the North Siders' September free fall. But I digress.

I remember a Baseball Digest article about this inning back in the 1970s.

LITTLE NELL
04-21-2010, 07:24 AM
That was GO-GO WHITE SOX baseball, those were the days.

SI1020
04-21-2010, 09:53 AM
I remember that game. I was too young to remember 4 years earlier when the Sox scored 29 runs against KC. The Athletics were perennial doormats back then that seemed to make one sided trades regularly with the Yankees. Roger Maris was an outfielder for the A's in the game mentioned here.

g0g0
04-21-2010, 11:03 AM
Wow. Just...wow. I can't believe all of those walks. I wonder if there is video of that somewhere. I would love to watch that inning!

downstairs
04-21-2010, 12:12 PM
10 walks???

DSpivack
04-21-2010, 12:18 PM
51 years later, Kansas City still sucks.

SephClone89
04-21-2010, 12:26 PM
51 years later, Kansas City still sucks.

Different club, same results.

Paulwny
04-21-2010, 12:29 PM
I remember that game. I was too young to remember 4 years earlier when the Sox scored 29 runs against KC. The Athletics were perennial doormats back then that seemed to make one sided trades regularly with the Yankees. Roger Maris was an outfielder for the A's in the game mentioned here.

Yep, on my 8 transistor radio .