PDA

View Full Version : MLB - Fashion Police

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-20-2010, 09:01 AM
Joe Maddon told to wear something other than his team hoodie by MLB.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/MLB-wont-let-Rays-skipper-wear-hoodie-during-games-041910?GT1=39002

Marqhead
04-20-2010, 09:06 AM
What a ****ing joke.

sox1970
04-20-2010, 09:07 AM
Yet, Manny Ramirez can disrespect the game every time he plays with his pajama uniform and dreads down to the number on his back. Yeah, that makes sense. Way to go, MLB.

eriqjaffe
04-20-2010, 09:10 AM
So how is this different from MLB telling Terry Francona that he couldn't wear a pullover jacket a couple of years ago?

Hell, if anything, MLB needs to be more strict about their uniform policies.

soltrain21
04-20-2010, 09:20 AM
Yet, Manny Ramirez can disrespect the game every time he plays with his pajama uniform and dreads down to the number on his back. Yeah, that makes sense. Way to go, MLB.

You think they should make him cut his hair? Cmon.

sox1970
04-20-2010, 09:21 AM
So how is this different from MLB telling Terry Francona that he couldn't wear a pullover jacket a couple of years ago?

Hell, if anything, MLB needs to be more strict about their uniform policies.

I'm ok with that if includes the players. The pajama-style uniforms are awful. I think alternate-jerseys are overused (I'm looking at you, White Sox). There are some things that can be done.

sox1970
04-20-2010, 09:22 AM
You think they should make him cut his hair? Cmon.

No, he shouldn't have to cut it. Just make it so it's not visible over his name on his back. He's a disgrace.

soltrain21
04-20-2010, 09:24 AM
No, he shouldn't have to cut it. Just make it so it's not visible over his name on his back. He's a disgrace.

Some teams don't even have names on the back of their jersey.

sox1970
04-20-2010, 09:26 AM
Some teams don't even have names on the back of their jersey.

Ok, just that length. If it's down to shirt level, it's too long.

eriqjaffe
04-20-2010, 09:28 AM
I'm ok with that if includes the players. The pajama-style uniforms are awful. I think alternate-jerseys are overused (I'm looking at you, White Sox). There are some things that can be done.I don't mind the alternates so much, although I tend to prefer the regular jerseys. I agree wholeheartedly about the pajama pants.

GoGoCrede
04-20-2010, 09:40 AM
I saw this thread and hoped it was about MLB making all the players wear stirrups.

Thome_Fan
04-20-2010, 09:59 AM
I saw this thread and hoped it was about MLB making all the players wear stirrups.

I'm with you. Bring back the knee pants, these full length pants look so stupid.

ewokpelts
04-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Joe Maddon told to wear something other than his team hoodie by MLB.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/MLB-wont-let-Rays-skipper-wear-hoodie-during-games-041910?GT1=39002
ozzie wears his hoodie a lot

ewokpelts
04-20-2010, 10:07 AM
btw, the hoodie in question is an MLB AUTHENTIC COLLECTION item. as in " same as the players wear".

aryzner
04-20-2010, 10:18 AM
Oh believe you me if I suddenly got absolute power over MLB, that is the first thing I would do.

Bobby Thigpen
04-20-2010, 10:22 AM
When did MLB become the NFL?

g0g0
04-20-2010, 10:34 AM
Seeing all of those fat managers in something other than a uniform is always welcoming to me. Seriously, what's the big deal if it's an officially licensed MLB product??

Nellie_Fox
04-20-2010, 10:45 AM
Hell, if anything, MLB needs to be more strict about their uniform policies.+1

Seeing all of those fat managers in something other than a uniform is always welcoming to me. Seriously, what's the big deal if it's an officially licensed MLB product??There are offically licensed MLB versions of everything from baby bibs to shorts. Should they be worn during games?

Uniform means "the same." Everybody on the team should be dressed the same.

TheOldRoman
04-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Baseall is unique in that it is the only sport in which managers wear uniforms. You don't see Phil Jackson wearing culottes or Lovie Smiths in pads and spandex. It is a tradition unique to baseball and I think they should stick with it. There are a lot of typical replies about "What's the big deal?", but just like when the NFL has been criticized for enforcing uniform rules, baseball is not only in the right to do so, it hasn't gone far enough. The NFL needs to enforce rules it has, particularly regarding sleeve length and sock height. The MLB needs to make rules on the height of pants legs. Just because baseball has done poorly in one aspect doesn't mean they shouldn't enforce anything.

Marqhead
04-20-2010, 10:51 AM

Don't you find it odd that baseball is the only sport in which the manger wears the same uniforms as the player? Seeing some of these guys way past their prime in a tight baseball uniform is pretty unpleasant.

I'm not for completely abolishing clothing rules but I don't see why a licensed hoodie with "Rays" clearly visible on the front in a big deal.

TheOldRoman
04-20-2010, 10:52 AM
+1

There are offically licensed MLB versions of everything from baby bibs to shorts. Should they be worn during games?

Uniform means "the same." Everybody on the team should be dressed the same.Exactly. We are used to some players showing a lot of sock and some wearing baggy pajama pants, so it isn't that big of a deal to us. Imagine if a Bears player wore full lenght white pants with the navy and orange side stripes running down to his feet. That would look pretty out of place.

Bobby Thigpen
04-20-2010, 10:53 AM
And the only reason it's in the rules is because guys wanted to dress down and not wear suits to work...

TheOldRoman
04-20-2010, 11:10 AM
Don't you find it odd that baseball is the only sport in which the manger wears the same uniforms as the player? Seeing some of these guys way past their prime in a tight baseball uniform is pretty unpleasant. I don't find it odd, it is unique to baseball. I don't think it is unpleasant at all. They aren't wearing speedos. They are full covered.

Marqhead
04-20-2010, 11:22 AM
I don't find it odd, it is unique to baseball. I don't think it is unpleasant at all. They aren't wearing speedos. They are full covered.

I am of the opinion that most of these old, fat men who are 40 years past their baseball prime look ridiculous in full uniforms. I much prefer the pullovers that most of these guys wear, I don't see why a hoodie is a big deal.

TheOldRoman
04-20-2010, 12:00 PM
I am of the opinion that most of these old, fat men who are 40 years past their baseball prime look ridiculous in full uniforms. I much prefer the pullovers that most of these guys wear, I don't see why a hoodie is a big deal.Wait, so you have a problem with them wearing a jersey, but you don't mind that they wear baseball pants? I would think you would take more offense to seeing them in the pants, which they also wear with hoodies. Lots of people wear baseball jerseys to games. It isn't form fitting like a football jersey. I don't see the big deal. By the way, there aren't too many current baseball managers who are either fat or old.

Marqhead
04-20-2010, 12:06 PM
Wait, so you have a problem with them wearing a jersey, but you don't mind that they wear baseball pants? I would think you would take more offense to seeing them in the pants, which they also wear with hoodies. Lots of people wear baseball jerseys to games. It isn't form fitting like a football jersey. I don't see the big deal. By the way, there aren't too many current baseball managers who are either fat or old.

It's really not that big of a deal to me and I don't have a "problem" with the jerseys but I think a lot of these guys look silly sitting on the bench in a full uniform. Do I think they should wear suits? No. I just don't see the big deal about a coach wearing a hoodie with baseball pants or some other casual attire like a football coach.

ewokpelts
04-20-2010, 12:22 PM
+1

There are offically licensed MLB versions of everything from baby bibs to shorts. Should they be worn during games?

Uniform means "the same." Everybody on the team should be dressed the same.like i said, the hoodie in question is considered performance wear.

ewokpelts
04-20-2010, 12:24 PM
And the only reason it's in the rules is because guys wanted to dress down and not wear suits to work...only uniformed personel can be on the field. ask connie mack

Bobby Thigpen
04-20-2010, 12:35 PM
only uniformed personel can be on the field. ask connie mack
Correct, but I seem to remember having read that the rule was created because of the need for player/managers along with former retired players not wanting to get dressed up and get rid of the uniform. So they kept the uniform.

TheOldRoman
04-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Correct, but I seem to remember having read that the rule was created because of the need for player/managers along with former retired players not wanting to get dressed up and get rid of the uniform. So they kept the uniform.I didn't read that, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was more of a guess or wives tail. First off, men didn't go out anywhere without wearing a shirt and tie in those days, and they usually were wearing a full suit with a fedora. Men were used to it, and wouldn't have felt as "restrained" as men today. Also, the thick wool unis of the time along with stirrups and sanitary socks weren't exactly loungewear.

g0g0
04-20-2010, 01:03 PM
+1

If the managers can barely fit into their "uniforms" then they sure as hell won't fit into baby bibs lol. But seriously, you know what I meant. A sweatshirt for warmth isn't going to ruin the game. Bring back the stirrups then!

Bobby Thigpen
04-20-2010, 01:18 PM
Interesting articles on why they have to wear the uni-
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1025725/index.htm

And it is from Wikipedia, but-
However, this was actually not true in the early years of the game. Player-managers were common, but non-playing managers whose realm was strictly the dugout often wore business suits, a common occurrence at the time. Retired players who became managers were more likely to continue to wear a baseball uniform (John McGraw (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McGraw_%28baseball%29), for example), especially if they were also active on the coaching lines; managers often doubled as third-base coach. By the late 1940s, nearly all managers were wearing baseball uniforms. Connie Mack was the last major league manager to wear a suit in the dugout until his retirement in the early 1950s; however, in contrast to the uniform-wearing managers, Mack rarely if ever stepped onto the field during a game; instead he sent uniformed coaches onto the field when a managerial presence outside the dugout was required.

Nellie_Fox
04-20-2010, 01:25 PM
Don't you find it odd that baseball is the only sport in which the manger wears the same uniforms as the player? No, because it's the only sport where the manager goes onto the field of play, and the coaches are on the field of play actively involved.

like i said, the hoodie in question is considered performance wear.So? What does that even mean? Are the players wearing hoodies during the game? UNIFORM.

Iwritecode
04-20-2010, 01:51 PM
No, because it's the only sport where the manager goes onto the field of play, and the coaches are on the field of play actively involved.

So? What does that even mean? Are the players wearing hoodies during the game? UNIFORM.

I swear i've seen players allowed to wear jackets while running the bases. I could be wrong though...

Nellie_Fox
04-20-2010, 01:55 PM
I swear i've seen players allowed to wear jackets while running the bases. I could be wrong though...Yes, there is ONE dugout jacket, an actual part of the team uniform, that NL pitchers wear on the bases, and managers and coaches have always been allowed to wear them. If they want to let the players start wearing hoodies on the base paths, then I'll agree with the manager wearing it in the dugout. Not every single piece of clothing that they make with the team name on it is suitable for wear during the game.

eriqjaffe
04-20-2010, 02:19 PM
I wonder if MLB will come down on Don Cooper, too. Don't think I've ever seen him in a regular jersey.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/05/14/sports/14chass.190.jpg

Marqhead
04-20-2010, 02:23 PM
I wonder if MLB will come down on Don Cooper, too. Don't think I've ever seen him in a regular jersey.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/05/14/sports/14chass.190.jpg

I'm pretty sure those jackets are approved by the mlb. There are certain things you are allowed to wear on the field, I assume Coop has the jersey on underneath.

Medford Bobby
04-20-2010, 04:31 PM
I wish they would cut down on the amount of jewelry store hanging on some guys...pitchers and hitters....:o:

ewokpelts
04-20-2010, 04:37 PM
No, because it's the only sport where the manager goes onto the field of play, and the coaches are on the field of play actively involved.

So? What does that even mean? Are the players wearing hoodies during the game? UNIFORM.it's on field gear. which is why ozzie gets away with wearing a pullover jacket most games. and you can tell he's not wearing his jersey underneath.

oh, and pitchers ar eallowed to wear jackets while on the basepaths, so there's plenty of grey area in this debate.

ewokpelts
04-20-2010, 04:42 PM
Yes, there is ONE dugout jacket, an actual part of the team uniform, that NL pitchers wear on the bases, and managers and coaches have always been allowed to wear them. If they want to let the players start wearing hoodies on the base paths, then I'll agree with the manager wearing it in the dugout. Not every single piece of clothing that they make with the team name on it is suitable for wear during the game.

http://www.majesticperformanceapparel.com/images/authentic.gif

uniformed personel can only wear ON FIELD items with this logo. mlb has stressed very hard that authentic colelction items are the same as what the pros wear. maddon's in the right on this one.

Marqhead
04-20-2010, 07:24 PM
Well tonight he's wearing a jacket (MLB approved I assume) with the hoodie underneath but still visible. I wonder if this will satisfy the MLB.

ewokpelts
04-21-2010, 07:47 AM
Well tonight he's wearing a jacket (MLB approved I assume) with the hoodie underneath but still visible. I wonder if this will satisfy the MLB.prolly not, as they chastised him for doing just that in boston

sox1970
04-21-2010, 09:05 AM
MLB changed their minds, and he's allowed to wear it.

Marqhead
04-21-2010, 10:03 AM
MLB changed their minds, and he's allowed to wear it.

:clap::clap::clap:

ewokpelts
04-21-2010, 02:39 PM
MLB changed their minds, and he's allowed to wear it.ten bucks says it was due to the hoodie sales in the tampa area