PDA

View Full Version : Pollyanna Thread

manders_01
04-19-2010, 09:40 PM
Even though I've been a member for four full seasons, I cannot believe the amount of negative threads in here. :shakehead: It's been 13 games. 13! Not only is it so very early in the season but we have seen games that the offense looked great. It's not like we are getting trounced every game by tons of runs. I have (unfortunately) not seen many games. But there's nothing - NOTHING - I have seen that's made me cash it in on these guys.

Now I call this the Pollyanna thread because many on this board would believe I am the definition of a Pollyanna (and proud of it :irule:). And I want to hear from the other "Pollyannas" on the board cause there are just WAY too many dark clouds floating around out there. I'm beginning to hate coming into The Clubhouse cause it's so ****ing laden with negative threads. I'm sure there are plenty of others that feel the same way. You don't even have to explain why you haven't given up, trashed the team, ranted to fire Ozzie, etc. Just let everyone else know you're still behind this team! I have to believe there are more "Polyannas" around here than dark clouds but based on the current trending of threads, I'm concerned there's not. /end rant

:gosox:

spawn
04-19-2010, 09:42 PM
13 games is too small a sample size to consider the season a disaster. Plenty of time to turn this thing around.

GoGoCrede
04-19-2010, 09:42 PM
I'm pretty much as big of a Pollyanna as you can get, so I'll join you in here! :hug: I'm going to three games this week, and I'm still as excited as I would be if we had a winning record. The offseason is too long for me, and I'm happy baseball is back.

We've got a great pitching staff, which is one of the reasons I am not ready to pull the plug on the season just yet.

Hell, I'm still excited that we actually got Peavy.

Go Gavin!!!! I'm excited to actually see him pitch in person this season.

LoveYourSuit
04-19-2010, 09:46 PM
Even though I've been a member for four full seasons, I cannot believe the amount of negative threads in here. :shakehead: It's been 13 games. 13! Not only is it so very early in the season but we have seen games that the offense looked great. It's not like we are getting trounced every game by tons of runs. I have (unfortunately) not seen many games. But there's nothing - NOTHING - I have seen that's made me cash it in on these guys.

Now I call this the Pollyanna thread because many on this board would believe I am the definition of a Pollyanna (and proud of it :irule:). And I want to hear from the other "Pollyannas" on the board cause there are just WAY too many dark clouds floating around out there. I'm beginning to hate coming into The Clubhouse cause it's so ****ing laden with negative threads. I'm sure there are plenty of others that feel the same way. You don't even have to explain why you haven't given up, trashed the team, ranted to fire Ozzie, etc. Just let everyone else know you're still behind this team! I have to believe there are more "Polyannas" around here than dark clouds but based on the current trending of threads, I'm concerned there's not. /end rant

So there is no middle ground?

Either it's a dark cloud or a polyanna?

Anyone every consider the term "realist?"

GoGoCrede
04-19-2010, 09:46 PM

This post isn't very Pollyanna of you. :neener: Anyway, there's nothing I can do about the performance on the field, so I'm just going to sit back and enjoy it.

spawn
04-19-2010, 09:48 PM

Then start a "realist" thread. No one is stopping you.

masloan
04-19-2010, 09:53 PM
13 games is too small a sample size to consider the season a disaster. Plenty of time to turn this thing around.

As long as Pierre and Kotsay hit better the sox will be fine...

LoveYourSuit
04-19-2010, 09:55 PM
As long as Pierre and Kotsay hit better the sox will be fine...

Pierre needs to be good at the top and Quentin needs to post 2008 numbers.

That's it.

If this happens, we will be fine.

If not, then we are toast.

Those two guys IMO are the keys to this offense.

manders_01

On this board, I would say no. You'll note that I say people will think I'm a Pollyanna. I don't think I am. I think I'm not overreacting to not being over .500 two weeks into the season.

masloan
Pierre needs to be good at the top and Quentin needs to post 2008 numbers.

That's it.

If this happens, we will be fine.

If not, then we are toast.

Those two guys IMO are the keys to this offense.

Quentin will be fine...dont worry...just ask Konerko05.

masloan
04-19-2010, 09:57 PM
On this board, I would say no. You'll note that I say people will think I'm a Pollyanna. I don't think I am. I think I'm not overreacting to not being over .500 two weeks into the season.

But Manders...dont you know...games in April count the same as games in August!!!

doublem23
04-19-2010, 10:05 PM

But Manders...dont you know...games in April count the same as games in August!!!

Stay out of the thread, Debbie Downer.

WhiteSox5187
04-19-2010, 10:12 PM

Yep, as awful as this team has looked at times (and I'll admit, in game threads and in post game threads I have REALLY lost it) but i have to remind myself "We're thirteen games in...we're thirteen games in." Another thing to remember: in 1983 we looked this bad until May. Finally, as my dad is fond of saying: we're not THIS bad. We might not be good, but we're not THIS bad.

Really, I think there are some good reasons to be positive, and some good reasons to be negative.

Konerko05
04-19-2010, 10:22 PM

Yeah, ask me.

manders_01
04-19-2010, 10:25 PM
Yeah, ask me.

I've seen the title of the thread you started. Pass.

GoGoCrede
04-19-2010, 10:25 PM
Lol....sports, anyone?

Konerko05
04-19-2010, 10:27 PM
I've seen the title of the thread you started. Pass.

That really hurts, manders.

KMcMahon817
04-19-2010, 10:33 PM
I am about as big of an optimist as possible when it comes to the Sox. No season is over until we are statistically eliminated. I appreciate the thread; I agree that this site has become rather depressing to go to when all you hear is negative nancy's running their mouths. It is hard to be positive when the team is 4-9, but it is also very early, as many have said. This season is far from a lost cause and I honestly think our offense will be just fine.

kittle42
04-19-2010, 10:34 PM
People in Boston are jumping off bridges.

manders_01
04-19-2010, 10:55 PM
That really hurts, manders.

Sorry Konerko05 but your thread is one of the ones that caused me to start mine. I can't let you bring me down. :gulp:

doublem23
04-19-2010, 10:58 PM

Ha, good Lord, less than a decade of being baseball royalty and they've completely forgotten what its like to be a loser for almost a century. Drah-mah Queens.

Konerko05
04-19-2010, 11:00 PM
Sorry Konerko05 but your thread is one of the ones that caused me to start mine. I can't let you bring me down. :gulp:

It's ok. I admit I had a bit too much to drink before making that thread, haha.

I'm not going to ruin your thread. I'm usually somewhat optimistic.

manders_01
04-19-2010, 11:04 PM
It's ok. I admit I had a bit too much to drink before making that thread, haha.

I'm not going to ruin your thread. I'm usually somewhat optimistic.

Be baseball optimistic! Life is good! It's late spring. Night games involve a sweatshirt and hot cocoa. You can see how hard a guy is running by the breath cloud that accompanies him. Soon the temps will go up and that night game will be the most comfortable you'll feel all day. The sun will set over the third base line and the lights of the stadium will be visible all around. It's just getting good!!! :bandance:

Konerko05
04-19-2010, 11:08 PM
Be baseball optimistic! Life is good! It's late spring. Night games involve a sweatshirt and hot cocoa. You can see how hard a guy is running by the breath cloud that accompanies him. Soon the temps will go up and that night game will be the most comfortable you'll feel all day. The sun will set over the third base line and the lights of the stadium will be visible all around. It's just getting good!!! :bandance:

Well, I'm convinced. :gulp:

This time it's happy drinking, haha.

soxnut1018
04-19-2010, 11:44 PM
With a pitching staff as good as ours, I see no reason why we can't put a few winning streaks together and compete for the division crown.

Nellie_Fox
04-19-2010, 11:59 PM
Anyone every consider the term "realist?"How come the self-described "realists" around here are always so damn negative?

voodoochile
04-20-2010, 12:21 AM
Pollyannas ARE realists...

guillensdisciple
04-20-2010, 12:52 AM
Well, I am still on the train completely. Just got a new hat so I have to wear it with pride.

Go Sox!

Sox
04-20-2010, 12:59 AM
I'll state in this thread like I did another thread that I cannot believe so many Sox fans are calling it a season so soon into the brand new 2010 season. I believe that I dubbed this type of mentality E.F.A.S.S (Epic Failure Already Sox Syndrome). Consider yourself fortunate that some of you live near enough to be able to attend Sox games.

I have to either hope that WGN carries a Sox telecast or try and get an internet radio feed because I live so far away. I'm a Sox fan good season or bad. I will continue to root for this team and I still believe that there is still plenty of time to turn things around.

BTW Manders...thanks for starting a thread like this. All of this negativity is getting a bit depressing and annoying quite frankly.

kittle42
04-20-2010, 01:47 AM
I'll state in this thread like I did another thread that I cannot believe so many Sox fans are calling it a season so soon into the brand new 2010 season.

Happens every year at many points for fans of many different teams across sports. It's just how some people prefer their sports fandom to be. Doom and gloom so that you either have your expectations (1) set low and then "met," or (2) set low and then greatly exceeded.

I am often found to be Debbie Downer with all my teams.

Want to see some really idiotic comments? Check out Facebook postings on such places as the White Sox fan page. Much worse than almost anything at WSI.

kufram
04-20-2010, 02:43 AM
I posted this in another thread but thought it might fit here also.

I don't know if the team WILL turn it around but they certainly have time to. The fact that they are hitting SO badly as a unit means that they WILL hit better... it is a matter of time. Of course, we do have weaknesses but there are also strengths. The pitching could be very tough from 1st to 9th two out of three games and that gets you a long way. A little hitting will be enough, possibly.

I follow the White Sox for fun. I get angry when they lose sometimes... doesn't everybody? But calling for heads in the second week of the season achieves nothing. It ain't going to happen this early. But then when it comes to White Sox I'm of the "ain't over til it's over" persuasion. That way i get to enjoy it longer. The only thing I would get down on the team for is if they weren't trying. I have never seen very much of that.

I think that if the home fans get overly down on them (as Chicago fans have been known to do) before they have a chance to right the ship then it could stay bad. Since there is not going to be any personnel change in the immediate future the best thing a real fan can do is show support. Okay, sharpen your barbs.

pudge
04-20-2010, 02:58 AM
Here's some good news for the pollyannas - despite two fewer wins than the Indians, we still have a 3% higher chance of making the post-season, and the Rays chances are only 10% better despite having five more wins than we do!

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/statistics/ps_odds.php

HomeFish
04-20-2010, 03:14 AM

me

g0g0
04-20-2010, 05:16 AM
Good to see a thread about this! I'm totally with you on the positive energy thing. GO SOX!!!

Sox
04-20-2010, 10:16 AM
Happens every year at many points for fans of many different teams across sports. It's just how some people prefer their sports fandom to be. Doom and gloom so that you either have your expectations (1) set low and then "met," or (2) set low and then greatly exceeded.

I am often found to be Debbie Downer with all my teams.

Want to see some really idiotic comments? Check out Facebook postings on such places as the White Sox fan page. Much worse than almost anything at WSI.

If the comments are that bad at the Sox facebook page...all I can say is wow!! I just cannot understand why at 13 games into the season all of the doom and gloom attitude around here all of a sudden. Maybe I don't see it or get it. All I can say is ......Go Sox!!!!!!

onAwr9djRdA

Nellie_Fox
04-20-2010, 10:42 AM
meWell, there ya go. If HomeFish considers you to be a realist, the case is closed.

mzh
04-20-2010, 10:42 AM
Thank you! Glad to know not everyone's running around like a chicken with its head cut off :tongue:

LoveYourSuit
04-20-2010, 11:31 AM
How come the self-described "realists" around here are always so damn negative?

Based on the "negative" play on the field.

MarySwiss
04-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Count me as a Pollyanna. There's no way this season is over before April is! :D:

veeter
04-20-2010, 12:01 PM
I'm totally with you Manders. I said, not that anyone cares, that they'd win this divison by five games, and I'm sticking to that.

SoxGirl4Life
04-20-2010, 12:26 PM
Pollyanna here too. Unless I'm disqualified because they make me sick to my stomach right now....

FielderJones
04-20-2010, 02:19 PM
I'm pretty much as big of a Pollyanna as you can get, so I'll join you in here! :hug: I'm going to three games this week, and I'm still as excited as I would be if we had a winning record. The offseason is too long for me, and I'm happy baseball is back.

Count me as a Pollyanna. There's no way this season is over before April is! :D:

I'm totally with you Manders. I said, not that anyone cares, that they'd win this divison by five games, and I'm sticking to that.

Pollyanna here too. Unless I'm disqualified because they make me sick to my stomach right now....

I'm totally with all of you! :grouphug: (finally got to use this smiley) It is too early to call this season over. As I pointed out in another thread, we just have a tremendous slump over almost the entire lineup going on now. These guys aren't going to hit 50-100 points below their career averages for the entire season. They'll eventually progress to the mean.

Sox
04-20-2010, 02:38 PM

But your the chronic optimist.....I think that would qualify you despite being sick to your stomach right now....:wink:

TheVulture
04-20-2010, 02:42 PM
I'd only say this in a pollyanna thread, but with this pitching staff I think this team could have some eight to ten game winning streaks in them. Of course, with this lineup they could obviously have a few five game losing streaks in them too. Hopefully, the good streaks will outweigh the bad ones.

manders_01
04-20-2010, 09:34 PM
Wait, wait, wait. Did the 4-9 Sox just beat the 10-3 Rays??? :o: Sox are done my ass!!! :bandance:

cbone
04-20-2010, 11:15 PM
Manders, you said it better than I could have. I am on the Pollyana bandwagon full time! :gulp: Great win tonight!

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-21-2010, 10:12 AM

Because of the White Sox??

mzh
04-21-2010, 10:27 AM
JP Morosi agrees with us (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/white-sox-arent-as-bad-as-they-look) :smile:

kittle42
04-21-2010, 11:49 AM
Because of the White Sox??

I certainly doubt that.

manders_01
04-21-2010, 01:52 PM
JP Morosi agrees with us (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/white-sox-arent-as-bad-as-they-look) :smile:

I like it! :thumbsup: