PDA

View Full Version : Frank's stats with 0-1 count

MattSharp
06-16-2002, 08:39 PM
Frank generally takes pitches until he gets a strike, just like little league. After his count is 0-1 Frank is hitting .218. Hes a career .317 hitter and he hits .218 when he takes the first pitch for a strike. Now when Frank takes a first pitch ball he is hitting .299. The thing is Frank has always hit this way, but it just seems like now everyone knows it. If he would get agressive and start hitting the first pitch he would become a dangerous hitter again. Until then though, people probably shouldn't be too worried....

kevingrt
06-16-2002, 10:50 PM
Where'd you find those stats?

RKMeibalane
06-16-2002, 11:58 PM
You can find those numbers and many more in his profile at ESPN.com.

MattSharp
06-17-2002, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
You can find those numbers and many more in his profile at ESPN.com.

Yep, ESPN.....

Paulwny
06-17-2002, 11:11 AM
Frank should take a look at Nomar's stats. As of 2 wks. ago he's batting >.500 when he swings at the first pitch.
But, I'm sure if Frank made a crucial out many will complain that he should have worked the count, no win situation.

RKMeibalane
06-17-2002, 12:06 PM
I was thinking the same thing. It seems as though Thomas and Manuel are blammed for everything that goes wrong, unless of course Royce Clayton was in the lineup again, in which case people get upset with him because he's just awful at the plate.

Dadawg_77
06-17-2002, 12:12 PM
Its about not being predictable. If you swing at every first pitch, a good pitcher/catcher/who ever is calling the game will know that and select a pitch to fool you. If you never swing at the first pitch, they will throw a stike. If you don't have a patteren, the pitch selection is harder and could lead to a mistake by the pitcher.

The only batter who should take a few pitches is the leadoff hitter, or a hitter who is up at a pitching change.

Paulwny
06-17-2002, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

The only batter who should take a few pitches is the leadoff hitter, or a hitter who is up at a pitching change.

Not always, I could be wrong but, I believe most of Ricky Henderson's lead off hr's came on the 1st pitch of the game.

MattSharp
06-17-2002, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Its about not being predictable. If you swing at every first pitch, a good pitcher/catcher/who ever is calling the game will know that and select a pitch to fool you. If you never swing at the first pitch, they will throw a stike. If you don't have a patteren, the pitch selection is harder and could lead to a mistake by the pitcher.

But that is exactly what I am saying. Frank NEVER swings until he gets a strike first. Pitchers have finally caught on. They are throwing him first pitch strikes all the time and he gets behind right away.