PDA

View Full Version : Carlos actually looked like a major leaguer

MattSharp
06-16-2002, 08:33 PM
I saw the grand slam, but I just heard the 2nd one.

My thought was he stepped up and knew that Wood was gonna throw a strike on that first pitch. I mean after walking the bases loaded he couldn't risk walking anyone else. CLee was agressive and it paid off.

If Carlos could start thinking and selecting pitches like that he could turn things around.

Not don't take this wrong, I am not jumping on the Carlos Lee bandwagon, but he is still young and he could still become a good hitter, but right now he isn't.....

Randar68
06-16-2002, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
I saw the grand slam, but I just heard the 2nd one.

My thought was he stepped up and knew that Wood was gonna throw a strike on that first pitch. I mean after walking the bases loaded he couldn't risk walking anyone else. CLee was agressive and it paid off.

If Carlos could start thinking and selecting pitches like that he could turn things around.

Not don't take this wrong, I am not jumping on the Carlos Lee bandwagon, but he is still young and he could still become a good hitter, but right now he isn't.....

Carlos damn near single-handedly won the game for us today. Not that anyone on this board intent on running him out of town will admit it, though...

LongDistanceFan
06-16-2002, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Carlos damn near single-handedly won the game for us today. Not that anyone on this board intent on running him out of town will admit it, though... you are wrong for assuming that, i have posted several times about eating crow...... and yes, i would like to trade him........ as i said in other threads

MattSharp
06-16-2002, 09:55 PM
He had one good game. Like every fan of every sport in Chicago, one good game makes people want to put in the Hall of Fame. he is hitting like .245. He still has a LONG way to go to turn this season around....

MikeKreevich
06-16-2002, 10:17 PM

Carlos damn near single-handedly won the game for us today. Not that anyone on this board intent on running him out of town will admit it, though...
OK, so here is the deal. The sox would love to trade Carlos, and Ray Ray for that matter, and they have been in the line up almost every day with the hope that they would get hot and increase their trade value. I'm hoping Carlos really heats it up with the bat so they can trade his no D, can't break a pain of glass from 20 feet, sorry ass.

RedPinStripes
06-16-2002, 10:25 PM
FATOriginally posted by Randar68

I'll admit that he was great today. Anyone notice that the flubs are the only idiots that will throw him high and inside anymore?

Not taking anything away from Lee today, but that's my beef with him offensivly. He'll kill anything up and in , but not much else.

And I don't need to explain about his defense. If Caballo can be this offensive savior that the dumbass caballo followers think, I'd take him as a DH if they get rid of Thomas. FAT CHANCE!

MattSharp
06-16-2002, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
FAT

I'll admit that he was great today. Anyone notice that the flubs are the only idiots that will throw him high and inside anymore?

Not taking anything away from Lee today, but that's my beef with him offensivly. He'll kill anything up and in , but not much else.

And I don't need to explain about his defense. If Caballo can be this offensive savior that the dumbass caballo followers think, I'd take him as a DH if they get rid of Thomas. FAT CHANCE!

Is this yet another example of bad coaching? Meaning the Sox staff can't teach Lee to be a better hitter?

duke of dorwood
06-16-2002, 11:09 PM
I was there,and he looked like he wanted to hit. The high inside pitches from Wood got him interested. Maybe the Cubs want him the way he hits them. I'll take Matt Clement

RedPinStripes
06-16-2002, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp

Is this yet another example of bad coaching? Meaning the Sox staff can't teach Lee to be a better hitter?

When in doubt, blame the coaching staff. :D:

ISUSoxfan
06-17-2002, 05:25 AM

Carlos is a great Cub Killer. Last year he provided us with the Grand Slam that was voted the greatest moment in Cub history for Sox fans, and this year he saved us from a sweep and unbearable harassment from obnoxious drunk Cub fans.

I have a new favorite player. El Caballo, the RBI horse. 7 RBIs today. If we would have traded Carlos like all these "sky is falling, if you didn't get a hit in your last at bat you suck, ungreatful for past performance, rather hate on our players than the other teams, wanna be fans" wanted, we would have lost 7-3 today and gotten swept. KW is a bad GM, but at least he is smarter than the anti-Carlos majority of this board. Carlos stuck it to the Cub fans and you so-called Sox fans today, and some of you won't even admit you were wrong. All true Sox fans will be forever greatful to #45, Carlos the Cub Killer.

Nellie_Fox
06-17-2002, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by ISUSoxfan
All true Sox fans will be forever greatful to #45, Carlos the Cub Killer. Yeah, he had a good game today, but forever grateful? Come on. I truly hope that this game will get El Caballo going, but I will not be forever grateful to any player for one good game. Winning one out of three from the dreadful Cubs is no cause for dancing in the streets.

Randar68
06-17-2002, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Yeah, he had a good game today, but forever grateful? Come on. I truly hope that this game will get El Caballo going, but I will not be forever grateful to any player for one good game. Winning one out of three from the dreadful Cubs is no cause for dancing in the streets.

Maybe your forgetting last year's game winning Grand Slam. Maybe THE top moment in my life as a Sox fan.

34 Inch Stick
06-17-2002, 11:23 AM
The reason I think positively about Lee is not because he has potential (which he undoubtedly does). I think positively about Lee because he has produced in the past. 2000 was a very good year for him. The first half of last year was great (the only way he finished with decent numbers last year was a great first half).

I like Carlos. I want him to do well. I know that he must be traded to make room for Borchard.

TheBigHurt
06-17-2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

When in doubt, blame the coaching staff. :D:

yeah...it seems to always work

TheBigHurt
06-17-2002, 11:38 AM
Everyone needs to come down it was just one game. I know it was a big game for us but someone had to step up.

Randar68
06-17-2002, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt
Everyone needs to come down it was just one game. I know it was a big game for us but someone had to step up.

Nobody is touting him as the big cheese. However, 90% of the people on this board have absolutely been BITCHING! about him for the past month+. In what many Sox fans consider the biggest series of the year, he single-handedly kept us from being swept.

Yet, I count a whopping 1 (LDF) fan here who is willing to praise his effort and eat some crow, if only for one game.

Nobody here is jumping all over the Carlos band-wagon, but maybe this was a kick-start he needed. Now if he'll only start poking those outside pitches into RF like 2000 and the first half last year, he will be back...

People here would rather have something to whine about than to be happy, and 99% of those people will never come back and admit when the person they've been cryin' about has a great game.

Hypocrites and cry-babies, the whole lot of ye'!

:whiner:

Paulwny
06-17-2002, 12:34 PM

Nobody here is jumping all over the Carlos band-wagon, but maybe this was a kick-start he needed. Now if he'll only start poking those outside pitches into RF like 2000 and the first half last year, he will be back...

I hope you're right, I'm still in Lee's camp.

Garrison
06-17-2002, 12:38 PM
Sounds like Carlos did awesome yesterday. Seven ribbies certainly proves that. Maybe if we played the flubs every day he would produce. I liked his diving catch to snag that blooper in the first game. He has looked good this series. What are the chances of him continuing to look good? I wouldn't bet money on it.

Paulwny
06-17-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Garrison
I wouldn't bet money on it.

Would you bet money against it ?

voodoochile
06-17-2002, 12:57 PM
Maybe batting him third gave him a wake up call and forced him to concentrate more. Maybe it was because he had the league leading RBI man batting behind him and finally saw some pitches to hit.

I liked the single to right the most. The two HR's won the game, but they were fat, up and in, so all he did was get around and they went out. The single to right showed more effort and concentration. Whatever the reason this happened, I can only hope it continues.

Think Frank would mind dropping to 6th and letting Carlos bat 5th for a while?

FanOf14
06-17-2002, 01:46 PM
I give carlos praise for getting us the 1 win against the cubs, but it doesn't make up for the losses he did nothing to avoid happening: (these are just the ones that come to mind while at work) 2 bad throws in the 9th, getting picked off in the 9th, a couple of bad bunts in the 9th. Yes, he did great yesterday and last year, and this isn't taking anything away from yesterday or last year, but I'd like to see a player be able to produce in more than 2 games a year.

FarWestChicago
06-17-2002, 02:53 PM
People here would rather have something to whine about than to be happy, and 99% of those people will never come back and admit when the person they've been cryin' about has a great game.I wish I could disagree with you, but you hit that nail on the head.

Randar68
06-17-2002, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
I wish I could disagree with you, but you hit that nail on the head.

The evidence is always their calculated silence on a day like today or finding a reason to still cry about something miniscule like 1 AB in a win.

I complain about Ray's ability/effort, but when he gets going and sparks this team, I give him his due. The least others here could do is to have the same respect for the others on this board to eat the crow when it's served.

Would we have won yesterday if Wille and Rowand were the LF/CF combo? No, it was Carlos, as much as it may irk some here.

KempersRS
06-17-2002, 03:01 PM
I complain about Ray's ability/effort, but when he gets going and sparks this team, I give him his due. The least others here could do is to have the same respect for the others on this board to eat the crow when it's served.

It's like that with every sport and every group of fans. It's not something new, so get used to it. That's people.

ode to veeck
06-17-2002, 05:21 PM
People here would rather have something to whine about than to be happy, and 99% of those people will never come back and admit when the person they've been cryin' about has a great game.

I imagine a lot of people do much the same as I do -- I ignore most of the whining on the board, and some take that to mean most of the board think "Carlos should be traded" and "Frank is over the Hill", when in fact, most of us disagree with those whining sentiments.

That said, it was really great to see the Caballo aka Cub Killer tear up yesterday, even if it was only one game. Maybe we could make him some special glasses that make all the other MLB teams look like the Cubs when he's wearing them

Randar68
06-17-2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck

I imagine a lot of people do much the same as I do -- I ignore most of the whining on the board, and some take that to mean most of the board think "Carlos should be traded" and "Frank is over the Hill", when in fact, most of us disagree with those whining sentiments.

That said, it was really great to see the Caballo aka Cub Killer tear up yesterday, even if it was only one game. Maybe we could make him some special glasses that make all the other MLB teams look like the Cubs when he's wearing them

There's an idea! Maybe we could modify some Blue-tinted Cubbie Crack Glasses!

chisoxfanatic
06-18-2002, 03:09 AM

Carlos is a great Cub Killer. Last year he provided us with the Grand Slam that was voted the greatest moment in Cub history for Sox fans, and this year he saved us from a sweep and unbearable harassment from obnoxious drunk Cub fans.

I have a new favorite player. El Caballo, the RBI horse. 7 RBIs today. If we would have traded Carlos like all these "sky is falling, if you didn't get a hit in your last at bat you suck, ungreatful for past performance, rather hate on our players than the other teams, wanna be fans" wanted, we would have lost 7-3 today and gotten swept. KW is a bad GM, but at least he is smarter than the anti-Carlos majority of this board. Carlos stuck it to the Cub fans and you so-called Sox fans today, and some of you won't even admit you were wrong. All true Sox fans will be forever greatful to #45, Carlos the Cub Killer.

It's about time someone recognizes my "husband!" I've never doubted him for a moment. He's gonna break out of his slump, and yesterday's game will be that shove he needs.

Heather the Redbird

pudge
06-18-2002, 03:34 AM

Dude, you can't be serious - Carlos got two MEAT balls - sure, he knocked 'em out, but Mags wasn't even in the lineup - you don't think Mags would have done the same in that game? Carlos didn't win ****, we would have won that game without him because Kerry Wood was wilder than Mitch Williams on crack.

The grand slam last season was a thing of beauty, but came before Carlos fell off his tree house, and let me tell you, he ain't gettin back up. The guy needs to go.

GASHWOUND
06-18-2002, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by pudge

Dude, you can't be serious - Carlos got two MEAT balls - sure, he knocked 'em out, but Mags wasn't even in the lineup - you don't think Mags would have done the same in that game? Carlos didn't win ****, we would have won that game without him because Kerry Wood was wilder than Mitch Williams on crack.

The grand slam last season was a thing of beauty, but came before Carlos fell off his tree house, and let me tell you, he ain't gettin back up. The guy needs to go.

This whole post is retarded. Carlos didn't win this game?? Maggs would have done the same thing? We would have won ths game without him???
Carlos single handely won this game for us and you CAN'T assume that Maggs would've hit 2 HR's too. That's just ridicules, dumbass logic.

hold2dibber
06-18-2002, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND

This whole post is retarded. Carlos didn't win this game?? Maggs would have done the same thing? We would have won ths game without him???
Carlos single handely won this game for us and you CAN'T assume that Maggs would've hit 2 HR's too. That's just ridicules, dumbass logic.

I agree - Carlos obviously did win the game for the Sox on Sunday. He was awesome. But that doesn't change the fact that he has been horrible since the middle of last year. I hope he turns it around, because when he's hitting, the whole dynamic of the lineup changes and the Sox can be a real powerhouse. But with him hitting like Darren Lewis, the whole bottom third of the order is a mess.

LongDistanceFan
06-18-2002, 10:07 AM

The grand slam last season was a thing of beauty, but came before Carlos fell off his tree house, and let me tell you, he ain't gettin back up. The guy needs to go. what are you talking about................what game are did youwatch......

do you have some special talent.

:cleo

PaleHoseGeorge
06-18-2002, 10:32 AM

This is a classic. Now we're giving Magglio credit for things he did while sitting on the bench!

:)

raul12
06-18-2002, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Now we're giving Magglio credit for things he did while sitting on the bench!

:)

uuuussseeee the force maggs.....uuusssseeee the fooorrrrce. (would it be called "jedi O"?)

Iwritecode
06-18-2002, 01:16 PM

The grand slam Kerry had just walked 3 guys in a row. Don't tell me you really expected him to just serve one up right down the middle? I was figuring that Carlos would at least make him throw a strike first. The ball he hit was up and in and he got around on it. The second homerun he had to battle for:

(From ESPN.com)
Pitch 1: strike 1 (looking)
Pitch 2: ball 1
Pitch 3: strike 2 (looking)
Pitch 4: foul
Pitch 5: foul
Pitch 6: ball 2
Pitch 7: ball 3

He worked the count full. Even if he (or Maggs) gets a ball right down the middle you can't just assume that he is going to hit it out. Sure Lee has been struggling lately but give credit when it's due.

pudge
06-18-2002, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND

Okay, I got blasted for not being a little more specific - I wasn't assuming Mags would hit two homers, although it sounded like that in my post - my point was he would have driven several runs home in those situations, or really most anybody would have - the point is, Carlos had 7 RBIs - without him, the score would have been 6-3, but then factor that if someone else had been in that 3-hole (ie, Mags) with all those runners on base, I think we would have scored 4 easily and still won. I guess you can argue that, but I really don't think Carlos won the game, I think Kerry Wood lost it. That's my point - geesh you guys are harsh, but I'll take my punishment for not being more specific.

As for "retarded" and "dumbass" - I'm sad to see a fellow Sox fan resorting to such insults.

Randar68
06-18-2002, 02:50 PM

Okay, I got blasted for not being a little more specific - I wasn't assuming Mags would hit two homers, although it sounded like that in my post - my point was he would have driven several runs home in those situations, or really most anybody would have - the point is, Carlos had 7 RBIs - without him, the score would have been 6-3, but then factor that if someone else had been in that 3-hole (ie, Mags) with all those runners on base, I think we would have scored 4 easily and still won. I guess you can argue that, but I really don't think Carlos won the game, I think Kerry Wood lost it. That's my point - geesh you guys are harsh, but I'll take my punishment for not being more specific.

As for "retarded" and "dumbass" - I'm sad to see a fellow Sox fan resorting to such insults.

You can't assume anybody would have done better, the same, or worse in that situation. The fact is, he won that game. Would Rowand or Liefer have done that? 100% positive, no way.

steff
06-18-2002, 03:00 PM
Every now and then even a blind squirrel finds a nut.... :D:

hold2dibber
06-18-2002, 03:43 PM

You can't assume anybody would have done better, the same, or worse in that situation. The fact is, he won that game. Would Rowand or Liefer have done that? 100% positive, no way.

Now wait a second -- first you say "you can't assume anybody would have done better, the same, or worse in that situation" then you go on to say that you're "100% positive" that Liefer or Rowand would have done worse! :smile:

ma-gaga
06-18-2002, 03:59 PM
This is a classic. Now we're giving Magglio credit for things he did while sitting on the bench!

I had a really boring teacher once in High School, and one day he showed a video tape, when it was over there were 3 people asleep in class. He gave out "referrals" to 4 people though. The three that were asleep, and one to someone whom was at home sick because, "if he would have been in class, he would have been asleep."

:) "Ifs" and "buts" make the sporting world go around.

If [insert team] played well, they would have won.
If [insert player] wasn't hurt...
If [insert ump/ref] didn't call that foul...
If [insert commissioner] wasn't such an ass...

The possibilities are endless.

Randar68
06-18-2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

Now wait a second -- first you say "you can't assume anybody would have done better, the same, or worse in that situation" then you go on to say that you're "100% positive" that Liefer or Rowand would have done worse! :smile:

Sorry, but how many HR's do either of them have this year? How many does Rowand have in his career. The analogy was based on Maggs.

This whole thing is rediculous, some people are so blinded by their hatred or pride in their convictions (more like whines in this case), that they refuse to even admit it was a great game by Carlos. If Maggs, Frank, Pauly, anyone else had done it, it would have been the second coming. But, since Carlos has been struggling for a while and all these people have jumped on the "get rid of Carlos" bandwagon, they are too blinded to even admit it was a great game.

Saying Maggs "would have done the same" was just the statement that most clearly illustrated this point.

This whole thing is rediculous and is being perpetuated by a whole bunch of 12-year-old mentalities.

Iwritecode
06-18-2002, 04:14 PM

If Maggs came up in those situations he may or may not have driven in 4 runs. Maybe they would have pitched differently to him than they did CLee. If you look at the statistical odds, it's much harder for a batter to hit a ball than it is for a pitcher to throw a strike. Carlos had the tougher job and he came through. He deserves the credit for it.

LongDistanceFan
06-18-2002, 05:23 PM

As for "retarded" and "dumbass" - I'm sad to see a fellow Sox fan resorting to such insults. oh man that still doesn't do you justice....... advice to pudge.......... quit while you are ahead....... :smile:

LongDistanceFan
06-18-2002, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

If Maggs came up in those situations he may or may not have driven in 4 runs. Maybe they would have pitched differently to him than they did CLee. If you look at the statistical odds, it's much harder for a batter to hit a ball than it is for a pitcher to throw a strike. Carlos had the tougher job and he came through. He deserves the credit for it. clee deserves all the credit for the win......... what a hitting day.......... that was a clinic... and to my amazement, b/c i am a fan of the sox......... i hope he continues........... we need the win, the hot bat, and of course........... raise his value for a trade........ :D:

pudge
06-18-2002, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
oh man that still do you justice....... advice to pugge.......... quit while you are ahead....... :smile:

Yeah I'm quitting on this one, there's no way I'll win. I like steph's comment about the blind squirrel finding the nut - okay, Carlos Lee found a nut, if you all want me to stroke him for that, fine.

pudge
06-18-2002, 05:46 PM

Sorry, but how many HR's do either of them have this year? How many does Rowand have in his career. The analogy was based on Maggs.

This whole thing is rediculous, some people are so blinded by their hatred or pride in their convictions (more like whines in this case), that they refuse to even admit it was a great game by Carlos. If Maggs, Frank, Pauly, anyone else had done it, it would have been the second coming. But, since Carlos has been struggling for a while and all these people have jumped on the "get rid of Carlos" bandwagon, they are too blinded to even admit it was a great game.

Saying Maggs "would have done the same" was just the statement that most clearly illustrated this point.

This whole thing is rediculous and is being perpetuated by a whole bunch of 12-year-old mentalities.

No wait, I'm not done until I at least respond to Randar (I'm not really trying to make enemies on this board, seriously!).

First off, I've always thought CLee was nothing more than the second coming of Lyle Mouton ever since he got here, so I don't jump on bandwagons. Secondly, I think a 12-year-old is the type of person who says CLee was a "hero" that day. To know the game is to know that a major leaguer is *supposed* to deliver when the bases are loaded and the pitcher has nothing and you know you're getting a fat one. That's why I think all this talk of his heroic batting performance is too much. If anyone else had delivered some RBIs in those at bats (which I'm sure they would), I'd be saying the same thing. I just think it's sad we needed Wood to suck for us to win.

Okay, I'm done posting on here until we have a five-game winning streak and I can say something positive.

LongDistanceFan
06-18-2002, 07:11 PM

No wait, I'm not done until I at least respond to Randar (I'm not really trying to make enemies on this board, seriously!).

First off, I've always thought CLee was nothing more than the second coming of Lyle Mouton ever since he got here, so I don't jump on bandwagons. Secondly, I think a 12-year-old is the type of person who says CLee was a "hero" that day. To know the game is to know that a major leaguer is *supposed* to deliver when the bases are loaded and the pitcher has nothing and you know you're getting a fat one. That's why I think all this talk of his heroic batting performance is too much. If anyone else had delivered some RBIs in those at bats (which I'm sure they would), I'd be saying the same thing. I just think it's sad we needed Wood to suck for us to win.

Okay, I'm done posting on here until we have a five-game winning streak and I can say something positive. keep posting.......... i was teasing you...............