PDA

View Full Version : Do you approve or disapprove of the job Kenny Williams is doing?

Viva Medias B's
04-19-2010, 08:39 AM
Since the Ozzie approval/disapproval poll thread has generated several posts about KW, I thought I would post the same poll about the later. Again, this is not a "Should Kenny Williams be fired?" poll, and please keep the discussion civil so that the thread does not go you-know-where and you do not get sent to the WSI Penalty Box.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-19-2010, 09:36 AM
Kenny built the team Ozzie said he wanted/needed. You can argue that KW gave up his control by doing so; I feel he gave his manager the team he asked for. If that team fails to compete, it will be his doing to step in and correct it.

Hopefully it's just a slow start but if this trend continues I wouldn't be surprised to see a tumultuous May at the Cell.

russ99
04-19-2010, 10:09 AM
Not his fault he had to push hard in order to get us up to $105M in payroll. Because that is the reason we have guys like Jones or Kotsay in the middle of the order, not some assumed mandate by Ozzie.

We'll have to see how much Jerry wants to spend to fix things.

Frankfan4life
04-19-2010, 10:20 AM
I thought that not resigning Thome, Pods and Dye was a mistake and nothing so far has changed my mind.

GoGoCrede
04-19-2010, 10:22 AM
I thought that not resigning Thome, Pods and Dye was a mistake and nothing so far has changed my mind.

I really don't think Pods will be able to keep this up throughout the entire season. JMO. I agree with you about Thome.

Lip Man 1
04-19-2010, 10:23 AM
Really, really hard question to answer because you are looking at two Kenny's right now.

The Kenny at the end of the 2006 season and the Kenny since then.

Disregarding completely this year since we have no idea how it will turn out, Kenny made two serious errors in judgment that contributed heavily to bad seasons in 2007 and 2009.

1. His decisions on what he wanted in the bullpen in 2007...young, hard throwers. The problem was the guys he got couldn't throw strikes consistently, fell behind then got lit up plus they had very little record of success either at the major league or minor league level.

2. His decision to bypass a buyer's free agent market before the start of the 2009 season which led to the Sox starting the year with such "stalworths" as Contreras, Colon, Betemit, Miller, Anderson, Wise, Nix and Lillibridge on the roster.

It's also hard to grade Kenny because we don't know what restrictions he has to work under which have never been revealed to the public. I know personally he has a few.

I've always said Kenny's dedication to winning is second to none and I'd love to see what he could do if the chains were removed from him, even if only for two years.

Lip

VMSNS
04-19-2010, 11:49 AM
There isn't much Kenny can do at this point to reconstruct the team. If we're still in it by the trade deadline, then we may see an additional bat or arm, but the team we have now is probably going to be the same core team we have at the end of the season.

Kenny faltered this offseason by letting Ozzie dictate the lineup instead of going with his gut and getting what he thought the team needed. I personally don't agree with the Teahen move and would have preferred the Sox leave Beckham at 3b, move Alexei back to 2b, and acquire a new SS, but that's just my opinion.

Dibbs
04-19-2010, 11:59 AM
I think Kenny has made some obvious mistakes, however I approve of the job he is doing. His positives outweigh his negatives.

JB98
04-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Kenny built this roster. IMO, it is a third-place roster.

Disapprove. Strongly.

white sox bill
04-19-2010, 12:19 PM
This picture will be cleared much later this year. For now I approve.*There appears to be talent. If this current funk we are in can be termed our "bad baseball streak" and the rest of the way, we play to our capabilities(or should I say potential), then we will be in the hunt until the bitter end.

*I reserve right to change this at anytime:smile:

Nelfox02
04-19-2010, 12:30 PM
What about creating a poll asking if we approve of the job that Sox Ownership is doing?

It starts there. Has Kenny GM made mistakes? sure he has, all GM's do, and he will make more. If he had not made any, he is not doing his job. Do I think this guy wants to win badly? yes Do I think he does everything he can with the money he is given and lobbies to get more when he thinks he has a chance to make a move to make this team better? yes. Thus I approve

Do I think Sox ownership has the same commitment to winning games on the field that Kenny GM has? no

JB98
04-19-2010, 12:52 PM
What about creating a poll asking if we approve of the job that Sox Ownership is doing?

It starts there. Has Kenny GM made mistakes? sure he has, all GM's do, and he will make more. If he had not made any, he is not doing his job. Do I think this guy wants to win badly? yes Do I think he does everything he can with the money he is given and lobbies to get more when he thinks he has a chance to make a move to make this team better? yes. Thus I approve

Do I think Sox ownership has the same commitment to winning games on the field that Kenny GM has? no

The White Sox payroll for 2010 is $108,273,197.

That's the fourth highest payroll in the American League and seventh highest payroll in all of baseball.

http://baseball.about.com/od/newsrumors/a/2010baseballteampayrolls.htm

As you can see by following the link, the payroll is actually $12 million higher this year than it was last year.

Let's not act like Kenny doesn't have any resources. The payroll is very competitive.

KMcMahon817
04-19-2010, 01:40 PM

As has been stated many, many times, Thome would have little impact on this lineup and in all honesty, Jones is probably the better option at this point in time. The Sox needed to get away from station to station baseball and Jimmy had to go.

Dye is out of baseball for a reason. I like the guy, and wouldn't mind seeing him on the Sox with a limited role, but he is not the cure to the offensive woes.

And Pods, while he is raking right now, mark my words, Pierre will have a better batting average by the end of the season. Pierre and Pods are an even trade off, at worst, for the Sox.

Those three guys are not the men you want on the team. Now you could argue that their departure and the lack of subsequent moves to improve the middle of line-up is a problem, but the fact that those three are gone is a good thing.

russ99
04-19-2010, 02:11 PM
The White Sox payroll for 2010 is $108,273,197.

That's the fourth highest payroll in the American League and seventh highest payroll in all of baseball.

http://baseball.about.com/od/newsrumors/a/2010baseballteampayrolls.htm

As you can see by following the link, the payroll is actually $12 million higher this year than it was last year.

Let's not act like Kenny doesn't have any resources. The payroll is very competitive.

I don't trust that source. Cot's Baseball Contracts (who gets info from inside sources) says Sox Opening Day payroll was $103.8M.

Linky (http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tK7uKP_MP8Unu0Mx46heFcg&output=html)

And other than Peavy, Buehrle, Konerko, Rios, Jenks and A.J. no one is making over $5M. So let's not act as if we're spending on the level of a NY, Boston or Anaheim.

sox1970
04-19-2010, 02:20 PM
First, I don't think Kenny would approve of the job he's doing himself. I believe him when he says that anything short of a championship is failure. He's trying.

But when you make a trade for Jake Peavy and claim Alex Rios on waivers for the dollars and years they have left on their contracts, you have to take advantage of that window and surround those players with the talent to win. Time is going to tell, but if they have a few under .500, no playoff years, it's a big failure on Kenny Williams' part.

Noneck
04-19-2010, 02:51 PM
\So let's not act as if we're spending on the level of a NY, Boston or Anaheim.

The Tigers also.

JB98
04-19-2010, 04:11 PM
I don't trust that source. Cot's Baseball Contracts (who gets info from inside sources) says Sox Opening Day payroll was $103.8M.

Linky (http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tK7uKP_MP8Unu0Mx46heFcg&output=html)

And other than Peavy, Buehrle, Konerko, Rios, Jenks and A.J. no one is making over $5M. So let's not act as if we're spending on the level of a NY, Boston or Anaheim.

When did I say that?

Whether the payroll is $103 million or $108 million, that's very competitive. New York, Boston and Anaheim are not in our division anyway.

I don't understand why Kenny is such a beloved figure here. I don't approve of JR, KW or Ozzie right now. No one should.

Boondock Saint
04-19-2010, 04:13 PM
Kenny is a smart, aggressive GM who's made a ton of great moves for us since he took the job. I still have plenty of faith in him.

tstrike2000
04-19-2010, 04:17 PM
When did I say that?

Whether the payroll is $103 million or $108 million, that's very competitive. New York, Boston and Anaheim are not in our division anyway.

I don't understand why Kenny is such a beloved figure here. I don't approve of JR, KW or Ozzie right now. No one should.

We'll see by this summer whether KW's typical aggressive moves are worth it. Unfortunately, the nature of high risk, high reward.

Noneck
04-19-2010, 04:30 PM
Williams has made quite a few good moves and some not so good. The one thing we don't know and will never know are the moves he wanted to make but was nixed by the management above him. Williams does not have total control of the personnel moves. We saw that with the Damon situation.

I still have faith in him and I really believe he tries his best at the job he has. That's very important to me.

DickAllen72
04-19-2010, 04:48 PM
I love Kenny Williams. I like the way he goes about his business and I love his attitude. Of course he's not perfect but he's a great GM, IMHO.

As I mentioned on another thread, I think Dave Wilder really made things much more difficult for Kenny.

He also has to deal with a manager that takes players he brings in to strengthen the bench and puts them in the middle of the starting lineup on a regular basis.

russ99
04-19-2010, 06:27 PM
When did I say that?

I didn't intend that. But I also didn't want people latching on to $108M as if the Sox could have brought in a good player for around $8M this offseason, which we never had the leeway to do, and is the real reason we lost out on Damon.

I have no problem with JR, KW or Ozzie at this point, I have a problem with those players who were supposed to perform at their expected level and haven't, especially "swing for the fences" Quentin and Konerko. And I don't understand why our hitting instructor has a job after 3 years of this garbage with 3 different groups of players.

Jerry and Kenny have always said they'd be open to add another impact player if things didn't go as expected, so let's see what they come up with. Hopefully we don't need to wait until July 31st for that.

A. Cavatica
04-19-2010, 07:25 PM
I still think KW is doing more good than harm, but it's time to address the problems on the coaching staff. If the team doesn't turn it around immediately and KW doesn't fire Walker and/or Guillen before the end of the month, then I will change my vote.

Madscout
04-20-2010, 03:45 PM
I put approve, but I didn't know why when I did it. Now I do. Look at the pitching staff he has put together, and the bullpen. They will carry this team when we start hitting. Furthermore, every position player except for Jones is hitting less than his average last year, and his career average (I believe), and it is at least true that they are all under their career average. Now, if they continue to do what they are doing, and he keeps them around several years, then I'll complain.

Madscout
04-20-2010, 03:46 PM
I didn't intend that. But I also didn't want people latching on to $108M as if the Sox could have brought in a good player for around $8M this offseason, which we never had the leeway to do, and is the real reason we lost out on Damon.

I have no problem with JR, KW or Ozzie at this point, I have a problem with those players who were supposed to perform at their expected level and haven't, especially "swing for the fences" Quentin and Konerko. And I don't understand why our hitting instructor has a job after 3 years of this garbage with 3 different groups of players.

Jerry and Kenny have always said they'd be open to add another impact player if things didn't go as expected, so let's see what they come up with. Hopefully we don't need to wait until July 31st for that.
I don't listen to much of WSCR, but I heard someone on yesterday with Steve Stone say that and I agree. Walker better show some signs of turning these guys around.

jabrch
04-20-2010, 03:56 PM
I'm sure I am not the only one who differentiates between the job he is doing, and the results the team has had so far... then again...