PDA

View Full Version : photo editor at Parade must be a Sox fan

Fenway
04-18-2010, 08:35 PM
Mitch Albom writes that people should go to the ballpark and ignore fantasy baseball

Look at what park they picked for the pic :)

http://www.parade.com/news/backpage/mitch-albom/100418-take-in-a-real-game.html

mzh
04-18-2010, 08:37 PM
Link?

Fenway
04-18-2010, 08:43 PM
Oops

http://www.parade.com/news/backpage/mitch-albom/100418-take-in-a-real-game.html

WhiteSox5187
04-18-2010, 09:07 PM
Interesting that they would use a picture of a park that has been gone for about twenty years now.

twinsuck
04-18-2010, 10:21 PM
The mlb.com spring 2010 catalog has a picture of the cell on the cover. I thought that was pretty cool..

theamb
04-18-2010, 10:30 PM
Over/under on Albom plagiarizing this story from some little town in Kansas?

BainesHOF
04-19-2010, 12:19 AM
I know this can be debated, but if you truly love the game and understand all of its intricacies then I'm not sure how fantasy baseball adds to your enjoyment of the sport. I'd argue that it takes away from it.

Rohan
04-19-2010, 12:32 AM
I know this can be debated, but if you truly love the game and understand all of its intricacies then I'm not sure how fantasy baseball adds to your enjoyment of the sport. I'd argue that it takes away from it.

I love baseball. There's no where i'd rather be than a baseball game. But I also really do enjoy fantasy baseball. It doesn't take away from the sport at all. I think that's a silly argument.

DSpivack
04-19-2010, 12:41 AM

I've had MLB.tv for years. Having a rooting interest in a game that I wouldn't care as much about otherwise often gives me a reason/excuse to watch it.

Nellie_Fox
04-19-2010, 12:41 AM
Over/under on Albom plagiarizing this story from some little town in Kansas?How do you do an "over/under" on a non-numeric question?

Sox
04-19-2010, 12:48 AM
Over/under on Albom plagiarizing this story from some little town in Kansas?

I don't get the correlation between a little town in Kansas and Mitch plagiarizing a story like this? :?: Surely you jest!

Jpgr91
04-19-2010, 03:09 AM

I think it adds a sense of personal investment that you would not normally have. For example, if you are watching PIT/FLA and you have Nolasco pitching, you will take an active rooting interest that you would not normally have.

doublem23
04-19-2010, 03:23 AM
I know this is incomprehensible to people like Mitch Albom, but it actually IS possible to enjoy both the on field beauty and drama of a baseball game and enjoy the fascination and challenge that fantasy sports and statistics provide. They're not opposing forces, in fact, I'd say the more I learn about baseball stats from guys at BP and the more I play fantasy baseball, it has enriched my experience with the game.

Furthermore, this may be difficult for Albom to understand, since all he does is sit on his butt writing pathetically corny columns on sports and pathetically corny novels for six figures a year, but for a family of four to go to a ballgame now, you're talking at least $100 in tickets once the Ticketmaster charges are all said and done, $20 to park, and if you want a hot dog or something to drink, probably at least $10 per head realistically. I wonder why so many people are trying to engage with the sport in a way that doesn't steal your wallet.

Nellie_Fox
04-19-2010, 12:28 PM
Sports already brings too much frustration to my life. I don't need a pretend sport to introduce more.

doublem23
04-19-2010, 02:37 PM
Sports already brings too much frustration to my life. I don't need a pretend sport to introduce more.

OK, so don't do it. Nobody is putting a gun to your head forcing you to play fantasy baseball. It doesn't bother me if people don't want to play, to each their own, it's only annoying when you have geezers like Mitch Albom belittling those of us who do play, as if we're somehow inferior baseball fans for taking our fandom a bit farther than just sitting there and watching.

SoxandtheCityTee
04-20-2010, 03:45 PM

This made me laugh. There's a great line in an old movie, "Bunny Lake is Missing," when Carol Lynley asks the British detective inspector who is investigating her daughter's disappearance whether, as a child, he had an imaginary playmate. The inspector (Laurence Olivier) replies, "Madam, I was raised amidst the chaos and tumult of nine brothers and sisters. It would have been madness to invent a tenth."

I've nothing against the fantasy players. It's just not for me.

Nellie_Fox
04-20-2010, 04:52 PM
This made me laugh. There's a great line in an old movie, "Bunny Lake is Missing," when Carol Lynley asks the British detective inspector who is investigating her daughter's disappearance whether, as a child, he had an imaginary playmate. The inspector (Laurence Olivier) replies, "Madam, I was raised amidst the chaos and tumult of nine brothers and sisters. It would have been madness to invent a tenth."

I've nothing against the fantasy players. It's just not for me.Sums up my attitude pretty well.

soltrain21
04-20-2010, 07:05 PM
OK, so don't do it. Nobody is putting a gun to your head forcing you to play fantasy baseball. It doesn't bother me if people don't want to play, to each their own, it's only annoying when you have geezers like Mitch Albom belittling those of us who do play, as if we're somehow inferior baseball fans for taking our fandom a bit farther than just sitting there and watching.

I just get annoyed by people who always bring up their fantasy team to me like I would actually give a crap about it. That would be the equivalent of me telling them how one of the video games I'm playing is going.

I don't care if people play fantasy baseball; but I could not care less about their team. It's so annoying.