PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie says "don't blame Walker..."

Lip Man 1
04-17-2010, 09:30 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0418-white-sox-indians-chicago--20100417,0,4130588.story

Lip

JB98
04-17-2010, 09:37 PM
When the Sox start executing offensively, I'll stop blaming Walker. I promise.

Domeshot17
04-17-2010, 09:42 PM
Well, Walker is not much of a hitting coach, but Ozzie is right. Any hitting coach, any, who has to deal with Kotsay, Vizquel, Nix etc. who isn't given 1 offensive player who carries the load, will fail. Ozzie is at fault, but by being a stubborn ass, he put not only himself, but kenny, walker and everyone involved on the chopping block.

Lip Man 1
04-17-2010, 09:44 PM
Dome:

I seriously doubt that any of those guys are at risk right now. That may change if the ballpark is empty come July but you know JR is very loyal to his people.

Lip

thomas35forever
04-17-2010, 09:52 PM
He says no one's hitting but won't blame Walker? Is that an oxymoron?

Slappy
04-17-2010, 10:02 PM
Yeah, that interview made no sense. That's got to be the most unconvincing "Put the blame on me" cliched rants I've ever heard. Then later in the interview he says "blame the hitters." I can't stand to even read his interviews on the page anymore, and I certainly don't believe a word the guy says.

VMSNS
04-17-2010, 10:40 PM
The offense was a problem last season, and is again a problem this season. Part of Walker's job is to help hitters get out of their slumps, something he isn't doing.

Walker is not doing his job, IMO. Ozzie's loyalty to him is ridiculous.

Viva Medias B's
04-17-2010, 11:01 PM
Walker is not doing his job, IMO. Ozzie's loyalty to him is ridiculous.

Like Jauron & Shoop.

twinsuck
04-17-2010, 11:33 PM
ok, I'll blame Ozzie instead. **** you Ozzie!! :D:

forrestg
04-18-2010, 12:04 AM
Every year we can't get clutch hits every year we get a few new players every year but we get the same results. one constant for the past so many years is walker our hitting coach, Walker, another constant is a vote of confidence for Walker from Ozzie.

southside rocks
04-18-2010, 07:44 AM
I don't blame Walker. I blame the players for not executing and for not doing the jobs they are paid beaucoup bucks to do.

When Walk starts taking at-bats and not getting hits, I'll blame him.

mcfish
04-18-2010, 10:12 AM
I don't blame Walker. I blame the players for not executing and for not doing the jobs they are paid beaucoup bucks to do.

So what exactly do you think Walker is accountable for?

tick53
04-18-2010, 10:37 AM
Well, Walker is not much of a hitting coach, but Ozzie is right. Any hitting coach, any, who has to deal with Kotsay, Vizquel, Nix etc. who isn't given 1 offensive player who carries the load, will fail. Ozzie is at fault, but by being a stubborn ass, he put not only himself, but kenny, walker and everyone involved on the chopping block.

Sure. He's so stubborn that Kotsay is batting third today and playing RF.
Let's get nice and cozy in last place everyone.

Dibbs
04-18-2010, 10:39 AM

This argument really cracks me up every time. Are we just donating to the Greg Walker charity, and paying him for no reason?

HebrewHammer
04-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Link (http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2010/04/ozzie_explains_his_decision_in.html)

Ozzie also help me find that new sig I've been looking for.

SI1020
04-18-2010, 10:57 AM

When Walk starts taking at-bats and not getting hits, I'll blame him. Again I ask the same simple question. Then why even have a hitting coach?

DickAllen72
04-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Dome:

I seriously doubt that any of those guys are at risk right now. That may change if the ballpark is empty come July but you know JR is very loyal to his people.

Lip
I already bought tickets to one game with a group outing coming up in July, but other than that game I have decided not to be spending any more money on White Sox tickets this year. This team is just too damn boring and even though the roster is already weak as it is, the manager seems resoved not to put his best nine players on the field for the vast majority of games.

I'll still follow the team in 2010, but from the comfort of my living room or back yard. Unless JR allows KW to make some major player additions or drastic personnel changes, I'll spend my entertainment dollars in more rewarding ways.

Lip Man 1
04-18-2010, 11:31 AM
Dick:

Solid points to be sure and well written. I seriously suggest that you pass those along to the Sox.

I'm the type who believes that if there is an issue the folks at the top need to hear it. Not saying it will make any difference but if enough folks write, call or e-mail, you never know.

Lip

DickAllen72
04-18-2010, 11:45 AM
Dick:

Solid points to be sure and well written. I seriously suggest that you pass those along to the Sox.

I'm the type who believes that if there is an issue the folks at the top need to hear it. Not saying it will make any difference but if enough folks write, call or e-mail, you never know.

Lip
If you give me an email address to someone on the Sox who might actually read it, I might forward my post him/her. I just hope he/she doesn't respond by telling me to just stop following the Sox and becomea Cubs fan.

kitekrazy
04-18-2010, 12:46 PM
Unless JR allows KW to make some major player additions or drastic personnel changes,

I think this is what fans are missing when it comes to firing Ozzie and Walker. The acquisitions this year are in hopes of getting a good year out of certain players without sacrificing a lot of $$$. It worked in 2005 but it involves a lot of risk and never consistent.

If they are not going to spend money on the top tier free agents then improve the farm system. Do one or the other.

I get tired of the Reinsdorf model "more tickets=more money for free agents". Where in the real world does a company says please buy more of our ****ty product so we can make them better?

HangWiffum
04-18-2010, 12:54 PM
I think this is what fans are missing when it comes to firing Ozzie and Walker. The acquisitions this year are in hopes of getting a good year out of certain players without sacrificing a lot of $$$. It worked in 2005 but it involves a lot of risk and never consistent.

If they are not going to spend money on the top tier free agents then improve the farm system. Do one or the other.

I get tired of the Reinsdorf model "more tickets=more money for free agents". Where in the real world does a company says please buy more of our ****ty product so we can make them better?

that's why they have only 1 ws appearance in about 30 years of ownership

thomas35forever
04-18-2010, 01:43 PM
that's why they have only 1 ws appearance in about 30 years of ownership
Hey, still better than none for the Cubs in all the years the Tribune owned them.

JB98
04-18-2010, 02:12 PM

The payroll this year is nearly double what it was in 2005.

Lip Man 1
04-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Dick:

Try these:

kwilliams@chisox.com
bboyer@chisox.com
bgrim@chisox.com

I know for a fact that all e-mails are read and many personally responded to by orders of JR.

As to anyone who is going to e-mail...be civil, be to the point, and be respectful.

Lip

Lip Man 1
04-18-2010, 03:13 PM
JB:

True but I'd be curious what the average MLB payroll is now as opposed to 2005 and then where do the Sox rank...i.e. above average, below average etc.

If the payroll has been doubled and the results are far less that points a finger in the direction of the G.M. in my opinion and he did make some serious philoisophical errors in judgment in 2007 and 2009.

Lip

JB98
04-18-2010, 03:25 PM
JB:

True but I'd be curious what the average MLB payroll is now as opposed to 2005 and then where do the Sox rank...i.e. above average, below average etc.

If the payroll has been doubled and the results are far less that points a finger in the direction of the G.M. in my opinion and he did make some serious philoisophical errors in judgment in 2007 and 2009.

Lip

Lip, if this team plays poorly all summer, I will point the finger squarely at the GM.

The White Sox 2010 payroll is $108,273,197. That ranks fourth in the American League and seventh in all of baseball. That's plenty enough to be competitive. Perhaps those monies haven't been spent wisely. If that's the case, that's the fault of KW, not JR.

Here is a link that might be useful:

http://baseball.about.com/od/newsrumors/a/2010baseballteampayrolls.htm

DickAllen72
04-18-2010, 08:26 PM
Dick:

Try these:

kwilliams@chisox.com
bboyer@chisox.com
bgrim@chisox.com

I know for a fact that all e-mails are read and many personally responded to by orders of JR.

As to anyone who is going to e-mail...be civil, be to the point, and be respectful.

Lip
Thanks, Lip. I just sent all three an email basically stating what I posted. It's good for any organization to get accurate feedback from their customers.

Tragg
04-18-2010, 08:34 PM
Why is our farm system so dormant?
Lack of money spent on scouting.
Where in the top 1/4 of ML payrolls, but what about our minor league and scouting budgets?

DickAllen72
04-18-2010, 08:42 PM
Why is our farm system so dormant?
Lack of money spent on scouting.

I blame Dave Wilder for a lot of the mess in which the Sox find themselves.

Lip Man 1
04-18-2010, 08:47 PM
Again I refer back to Daver and his expertise on the Sox minor league system. He's stated in the past many times, the Sox haven't significantly increased their minor league budget for years nor will they pay "over slot" for talent in the draft.

Also when talking about the minor league system remember that Kenny Williams was in charge of it before he became the G.M. He's had his hand on the pulse of the system for over a decade and he was the guy who selected Wilder.

Lip

KyWhiSoxFan
04-18-2010, 09:02 PM
Dick:

Lip

Exactly what is the e-mail address one can use to get to KW? I would like to write him.

A. Cavatica
04-18-2010, 09:36 PM
Again I ask the same simple question. Then why even have a hitting coach?

Exactly. Either he is able to help the players perform better, in which case he's doing a poor job and should be fired, or he is not able to help the players perform better, in which case his job should be eliminated.

Either way he needs to go, and so does the field manager.

TDog
04-18-2010, 09:40 PM
Dick:

Lip

Yes, it would be great to give White Sox management reason not to spend more money on this team.

Lip Man 1
04-18-2010, 10:36 PM
Ky:

kwilliams@chisox.com

T-Dog:

I see nothing wrong with Sox fans who are spending their hard earned money letting management know how they feel. If this team blows, the stadium may be half empty regardless of whether fans write or not and making a deal or two at the deadline is meaningless when you're 15 games out...unless of course they are dumping salaries.

Sox ownership has never needed an "excuse" not to spend money in the past, I seriously doubt an e-mail or two will cause a seismic shift in their philosophy either way. (Now as I said earlier thousands might but even that's long shot.)

But if you feel you should support the club regardless of circumstances then by all means do so, that's your right.

Lip

VenturaFan23
04-19-2010, 06:16 AM
Wow, I'd love to have a job where I show piss poor results year in and year out and my boss will always have my back and never blame me. Where do I sign up?

We have a different lineup each year and we are getting pretty much the same ****ty offensive results each year. Exactly, how is Walker "helping"?

HebrewHammer
04-19-2010, 08:31 AM
Wow, I'd love to have a job where I show piss poor results year in and year out and my boss will always have my back and never blame me. Where do I sign up?

We have a different lineup each year and we are getting pretty much the same ****ty offensive results each year. Exactly, how is Walker "helping"?

He knows what kind of pretzels to bring to the coaches' poker game.

Hitmen77
04-20-2010, 08:20 AM
When the Sox start executing offensively, I'll stop blaming Walker. I promise.

Have you not learned anything from WSI? After 4 years of mostly underachieving play, none of this is Ozzie, Kenny, or Walker's fault.

Just wait until we get the kind of players that Ozzie wants, then you'll see some improvements!