PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie Guillen in 2010 Equals Mike Ditka in 1992?

Viva Medias B's
04-17-2010, 08:57 PM
Amid the controversies surrounding Ozzie Guillen over:

His relationship with Kenny Williams
His influence/decisions over the make up of the roster
His presence in social networking circles coupled with the controversial Twitter comments of his middle son, Oney
His generally irascible personality...
...the 4-8 start by the White Sox is the last thing he needed to happen. Twelve games into the season does not a season make, of course. However, here at WSI and elsewhere among the White Sox fandom, there is great angst over the poor start and Ozzie Guillen has (fairly or unfairly) become the chief target of fans' wrath.

It is really too early to tell this, but Ozzie Guillen in this year of 2010 is reminding me of Mike Ditka in 1992. That was the latter's final season as head coach of the Chicago Bears, and the team's 5-11 record helped lead to his dismissal by team management. Regardless of the ineptitude of then-Bears President Michael McCaskey, firing Mike Ditka was the right thing to do given what happened during that 1992 season.

The Bears started out 2-2 and played at Minnesota in Week 5. Leading the Vikings 20-0 (IIRC), quarterback Jim Harbaugh throws an interception that Minnesota returns for a touchdown IIRC. Ditka exploded on the Bears sideline, and TV cameras caught him chewing Harbaugh out as many of you recall. The Vikings would go on to beat the Bears 21-20 in that game. A couple of days later, in a press conference at Halas Hall, Ditka is asked about the tirade and goes into another profanity-laced rant against the media. Then, on his own radio show that the Score carried at the time, there was the memorable incident in which he challenged Neal from Northlake to a fight ("My office is at 250 North Washington..."). It was clear from these incidents that Ditka's tenure as the Bears head coach had run its course. Are we beginning to now see the same thing from Ozzie Guillen?

This season is too young to predict its parallel to the Bears' 1992 season. However, these angry Ozzie rants and his beligerant attitude with f-bombs galore is a suggestion that his tenure as White Sox manager may be starting to run its course. And these seem to be getting beyond occasional Guillen incidents over the years such as his rants against Jay Mariotti and Magglio Ordonez, the time he called up Mike North and spewed f-bombs on the air, or his battles with umpires.

I am not calling for Ozzie Guillen's dismissial at this time at all. Calling for his firing after a 4-8 record in after 7.4 percent of the regular season has been completed is absurd. However, if these incidents and his abrasive attitudes continue coupled with the White Sox continuing to be mediocre, it may have to come to Guillen being dismissed either during the season or after its conclusion.

We are all frustrated at the 4-8 start. Granted, Ozzie Guillen likes to take the pressure off his players by creating an attention-getting controversy. However, this is a time he needs to be more level-headed.

HomeFish
04-17-2010, 09:01 PM
Guillen is the most famous person in a White Sox uniform. This fact alone would make me very, very hesitant to fire him if I were JR.

If the team sucks, Guillen still gets us media exposure.

sox1970
04-17-2010, 09:22 PM
Guillen is the most famous person in a White Sox uniform. This fact alone would make me very, very hesitant to fire him if I were JR.

If the team sucks, Guillen still gets us media exposure.

I'd rather have wins more than media exposure.

Ozzie is becoming a caricature of himself. He's bought into Crazy Ozzie. He needs to go.

Frontman
04-17-2010, 10:04 PM
I'd rather have wins more than media exposure.

Ozzie is becoming a caricature of himself. He's bought into Crazy Ozzie. He needs to go.

I'll reserve judgment; but if the rest of the season plays out like these 12 games?

Hard to argue to keep him then.

Frater Perdurabo
04-17-2010, 10:13 PM
I posted this in another thread, but it probably belongs here. I think these current MLB managers are better than Ozzie (in no particular order):

Mike Scioscia
Joe Torre
Terry Francona
Ron Gardenhire
Charlie Manuel
Jim Leyland
Joe Girardi
Joe Maddon
Tony LaRussa
Fredi Gonzalez
Cito Gaston
Jim Tracy

I also think there are several guys who aren't currently managing who are better managers than Ozzie. (Clint Hurdle, Tom Kelly, Jeff Torborg come to mind.) I would also put a motivated Lou Piniella on that list, but didn't because he's become old and complacent with the Cubs.

At best, Ozzie is an average/mediocre MLB manager:

He's a very good clubhouse manager.

He's a poor in-game strategist.

He's barely average in his handling of bullpen pitching matchups, relying exclusively on "the book" of lefty-lefty and righty-righty.

He's pretty good at handling starting pitchers.

He's a poor evaluator of hitting talent and of outfield defense.

Slappy
04-17-2010, 10:32 PM
There are so many coaches/personell besides the head coach on a team that the main things a manager has to do these days is to effectively handle the media, along with providing team unity by being level headed, and being able to make sound in-game decisions.

Ozzie certainly isn't doing the first two, and arguably last.

kitekrazy
04-18-2010, 12:27 AM
I posted this in another thread, but it probably belongs here. I think these current MLB managers are better than Ozzie (in no particular order):

Mike Scioscia
Joe Torre
Terry Francona
Ron Gardenhire
Charlie Manuel
Jim Leyland
Joe Girardi
Joe Maddon
Tony LaRussa
Fredi Gonzalez
Cito Gaston
Jim Tracy

I can't see anything rational about this. They've had more talent to work with.

jdm2662
04-19-2010, 01:59 PM
I said in 2006 down the stretch if the Sox started to lose, Ozzie's act would get old quick. I did compare it to Ditka. Ditka was entertaining and a fine quote and was loved when they were winning. However, it got old quick when the team was losing. I realize he got a raw deal with Mikey Boy (and was an assphat to boot), but you can't have such behavior from your leader. I grew up in the Ditka era, and was a huge fan of his. That was until a few years ago. Now, I can't stand the guy (but I won't take away what he did as coach, just tired of seeing his mug on TV). Oh yeah, his restaurant is over priced and the food there sucks...

Ozzie's act was cute and fun when the Sox were winning. Now, that they are losing? It's not exactly funny...