PDA

View Full Version : Will Tim Lincecum be a HOF?

JermaineDye05
04-17-2010, 04:46 PM
The guy has already won back-to-back Cy Young awards and he's only turning 26 this year.

gregoriop
04-17-2010, 04:50 PM
It's pretty early to be thinking about this. I mean, he's good but anything can happen, pitchers especially.

BleacherBandit
04-17-2010, 06:54 PM
If he keeps playing at the same rate, i.e winning a Cy Young award every year, then yes.

It's way too early to tell. Injuries are never out of the question for anyone at that position...

Boondock Saint
04-17-2010, 06:56 PM
If he keeps playing at the same rate, i.e winning a Cy Young award every year.

Way too early to tell. Injuries never surprise.

That, and he wouldn't be the first pitcher to fall into mediocrity after a few great years.

JorgeFabregas
04-17-2010, 08:20 PM
If he won, say, 4 Cy Young awards in a row and then had a career-ending injury, would you vote for him? I think he would merit a vote in that case.

TDog
04-17-2010, 09:47 PM
If he won, say, 4 Cy Young awards in a row and then had a career-ending injury, would you vote for him? I think he would merit a vote in that case.

Sandy Koufax only pitched for 12 major league seasons, and he was only a great pitcher in the last five, which included his three Cy Young seasons. He only won 165 regular season games, and he even has the stigma of being beaten 1-0 by the White Sox in the 1959 World Series.

Lincecum is off to a better start to his career than Sandy Koufax.

You have to play 10 seasons to be eligible for election to the Hall of Fame as a player, of course, so Koufax was cutting it a little close. He still made it in his first year of eligibility.

Sometimes when I watch Tim Lincecum pitch, he looks like an injury waiting to happen, but I might have said the same thing about Walter Johnson if I had seen him pitch, judging from what I've read.

Tim Lincecum is such a cool kid. As I posted as an aside in today's game thread, he seems to have his priorities straight. If he doesn't have the talent of Dwight Gooden, he is doing more with what he's got and doesn't appear to be wasting it.

I think the Giants are the perfect match for him, especially after they have assembled the best starting rotation in baseball, despite having Todd Wellemeyer as their fifth starter.

mzh
04-17-2010, 10:05 PM
Sandy Koufax only pitched for 12 major league seasons, and he was only a great pitcher in the last five, which included his three Cy Young seasons. He only won 165 regular season games, and he even has the stigma of being beaten 1-0 by the White Sox in the 1959 World Series.

Lincecum is off to a better start to his career than Sandy Koufax.

You have to play 10 seasons to be eligible for election to the Hall of Fame as a player, of course, so Koufax was cutting it a little close. He still made it in his first year of eligibility.

Sometimes when I watch Tim Lincecum pitch, he looks like an injury waiting to happen, but I might have said the same thing about Walter Johnson if I had seen him pitch, judging from what I've read.

Tim Lincecum is such a cool kid. As I posted as an aside in today's game thread, he seems to have his priorities straight. If he doesn't have the talent of Dwight Gooden, he is doing more with what he's got and doesn't appear to be wasting it.

I think the Giants are the perfect match for him, especially after they have assembled the best starting rotation in baseball, despite having Todd Wellemeyer as their fifth starter.

The HOF has made exceptions in the past, though. Ralph Kiner was put in after only 9 seasons, but those were so dominating they didn't have much choice. Let's say he pitches 6 years in the majors before having a career ending injury, and his projection for that time would be around 108-40 with a 2.66 ERA and about 1500 strikeouts. Does that period of being the best pitcher in the game merit a drastic exception? I think so.

Oh, and he did get busted for having some pot last winter, so I guess he's not totally perfect :D:

TDog
04-17-2010, 10:26 PM
The HOF has made exceptions in the past, though. Ralph Kiner was put in after only 9 seasons, but those were so dominating they didn't have much choice. Let's say he pitches 6 years in the majors before having a career ending injury, and his projection for that time would be around 108-40 with a 2.66 ERA and about 1500 strikeouts. Does that period of being the best pitcher in the game merit a drastic exception? I think so.

Oh, and he did get busted for having some pot last winter, so I guess he's not totally perfect :D:

Kiner played 10 seasons, averaging 147 games a year. And he wasn't elected to the Hall of Fame until 20 years after his retirement. I remember the debate over Kiner in the press (Chicago press cared because he played briefly for the Cubs). There were a lot of people who didn't believe Kiner belonged in the Hall of Fame and a lot more who took a long time to warm up to the idea.

It's possible that the Hall of Fame could make an exception, of course. They waived the waiting period for Roberto Clemente and held a special election. But the 10-year requirement was put in to keep people with short but outstanding careers out.

mzh
04-17-2010, 10:45 PM
Kiner played 10 seasons, averaging 147 games a year. And he wasn't elected to the Hall of Fame until 20 years after his retirement. I remember the debate over Kiner in the press (Chicago press cared because he played briefly for the Cubs). There were a lot of people who didn't believe Kiner belonged in the Hall of Fame and a lot more who took a long time to warm up to the idea.

It's possible that the Hall of Fame could make an exception, of course. They waived the waiting period for Roberto Clemente and held a special election. But the 10-year requirement was put in to keep people with short but outstanding careers out.
So I guess the question would have to be what are the boundaries of having such a ridiculously dominant, outstanding career that there isn't much else to do but elect him. If Lincecum keeps this up for another 3 or 4 years (which he may or may not), he may be pushing those boundaries IMO.