PDA

View Full Version : Chris Davis

mzh
04-16-2010, 10:28 AM
With all the talk about possibly adding Berkman or A-Gon, I'm wondering about this kid. Had a rough season last year and a not so hot start this year, but he's only 23 and has great power potential. The Rangers have Justin Smoak rising fast through the ranks, and may end up having to deal Davis. He could be a below-the-radar trade target I'd be interested in. Thoughts?

guillen4life13
04-16-2010, 10:59 AM
His strikeout rate scares the living daylights out of me. 150 K in 391 AB... wow!

Statwise, he kind of reminds me of Josh Fields.

UChicagoHP
04-16-2010, 11:12 AM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=davis-003chr

I think his minor league numbers show he has quite a bit more potential than Fields, but yeah, unless he can up that OBP, his HR's do not outweigh the bad.

tstrike2000
04-16-2010, 11:16 AM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=davis-003chr

I think his minor league numbers show he has quite a bit more potential than Fields, but yeah, unless he can up that OBP, his HR's do not outweigh the bad.

I think he's got quite a bit more upside than Fields. Who knows if he can develop any plate discipline, but he could work out to be a Ryan Howard/Mark Reynolds type of hitter with high strikeouts but lots of power and rbi's with a mediocre average.

Craig Grebeck
04-16-2010, 11:56 AM
Davis is a good guy to look at, but I'd imagine the Rangers are interested in arms and our organizational pitching depth is a joke.

PalehosePlanet
04-16-2010, 01:55 PM
Texas has a few prospects that are losing their luster (Saltalmachia, Teargarden, Davis) with seemingly much better prospects to take their place in the near future (Smoak, Max Ramirez.)

We all know KW loves to take gambles on post-hype prospects.

Texas's system is loaded; it's hard to speculate as to what they might want for some of these guys. It all depends on the team's place in the standings come mid summer, I'd guess. Or if they have injuries, or bad seasons from guys they're counting on to produce.

I'd imagine that Salty wouldn't be too expensive. Overall he reminds of Jayson Werth when he was a catching prospect, with Baltimore and Toronto, who didn't bloom until well into his late 20's after a position switch and yet another organizational switch. I know his stats have looked terrible, but I still think he has potential. His stock is falling and I'd imagine the asking price is dropping accordingly.

Frater Perdurabo
04-16-2010, 08:25 PM
Texas' system is loaded with pitcher and position player prospects. They don't have any real organizational need. The only "fit" would be if there is a particular Sox prospect they covet.

They might seek a veteran at the deadline, like Paulie or AJ, but the Sox wouldn't deal either unless they were buried in the standings.

Frater Perdurabo
04-16-2010, 08:28 PM
Texas has a few prospects that are losing their luster (Saltalmachia, Teargarden, Davis) with seemingly much better prospects to take their place in the near future (Smoak, Max Ramirez.)

We all know KW loves to take gambles on post-hype prospects.

Texas's system is loaded; it's hard to speculate as to what they might want for some of these guys. It all depends on the team's place in the standings come mid summer, I'd guess. Or if they have injuries, or bad seasons from guys they're counting on to produce.

I'd imagine that Salty wouldn't be too expensive. Overall he reminds of Jayson Werth when he was a catching prospect, with Baltimore and Toronto, who didn't bloom until well into his late 20's after a position switch and yet another organizational switch. I know his stats have looked terrible, but I still think he has potential. His stock is falling and I'd imagine the asking price is dropping accordingly.

Salty has the throwing "yips." If he can't get over the "yips" and throw accurately, he can't play catcher and therefore he's pretty much worthless. Max Ramirez is a hitter who happens to play catcher; he's not much behind the plate.

Smoak definitely is the 1B of the future, but if the Rangers are contending at the deadline, they might prefer a veteran hitter to play 1B just for this season.

Tragg
04-16-2010, 10:05 PM
What does Texas do to get all of thse young players? I know they picked up several with Texiera (same question for Braves), but do they just draft that well and we don't?