PDA

View Full Version : Jackie Robinson Day - April 15th

#1swisher
04-15-2010, 02:19 PM
This is the second consecutive year that players, coaches, and umpires will be wearing the #42 in honor of Hall of Famer, Jackie Robinson.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100409&content_id=9175352&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

GoGoCrede
04-15-2010, 02:23 PM
I really love Jackie. I read a biography on him called "Opening Day" and he was also featured heavily in "Boys of Summer."

I think one of the most striking things about Jackie was his sense of anger. I read in one of those books that his anger was a huge asset - it meant he wasn't going to recoil or quit, nor was he going to take insults lying down. He had a thick skin. He let that determination and his anger see him through.

There were photos of Jackie, Rachel, and their first baby Jackie Jr in the "Opening Day" book - it's really tragic to know that Jackie Jr would later die young.

spawn
04-15-2010, 02:48 PM
I really love Jackie. I read a biography on him called "Opening Day" and he was also featured heavily in "Boys of Summer."

I think one of the most striking things about Jackie was his sense of anger. I read in one of those books that his anger was a huge asset - it meant he wasn't going to recoil or quit, nor was he going to take insults lying down. He had a thick skin. He let that determination and his anger see him through.

There were photos of Jackie, Rachel, and their first baby Jackie Jr in the "Opening Day" book - it's really tragic to know that Jackie Jr would later die young.
I totally agree.

I will say this though...I thought that people wearing the #42 was cool the first year. But now, with everyone being allowed to wear the number, I'm not a fan. It kind of cheapens it. There are better ways of honoring him IMO.

DSpivack
04-15-2010, 03:11 PM
I totally agree.

I will say this though...I thought that people wearing the #42 was cool the first year. But now, with everyone being allowed to wear the number, I'm not a fan. It kind of cheapens it. There are better ways of honoring him IMO.

Yeah, there are other, better ways to commemorate him. It just looks awkward.

Dibbs
04-15-2010, 04:14 PM
I really hate this. It makes it difficult to even watch the games. How about a patch? I think that would do just fine.

GoGoCrede
04-15-2010, 07:06 PM
Yeah, there are other, better ways to commemorate him. It just looks awkward.

I'm looking at the players on the field right now, and you're right. Maybe a cap would have been better? Everyone wearing the same number looks ridiculous. I think a patch would work just as well.

AlleghenySoxFan
04-16-2010, 11:40 AM
Jackie Robinson? I thought baseball just answered the ultimate question:tongue:

Thome_Fan
04-16-2010, 12:27 PM
But what is the question anyway?

RCWHITESOX
04-16-2010, 01:04 PM
But what is the question anyway?

I think it's great that we celebrate Jackie Robinson; but why is it we don't give that same consideration to Branch Rickey who made it all possible. We should honer him with a patch at the same time we honer Robinson.

spawn
04-16-2010, 01:11 PM
I think it's great that we celebrate Jackie Robinson; but why is it we don't give that same consideration to Branch Rickey who made it all possible. We should honer him with a patch at the same time we honer Robinson.
It's great what Branch Rickey did, but what exactly did he have to go through that equalled what Jackie Robinson did? He's not the one that had to suffer the abuse of racism silently from fans and players. And TheOldRoman brought up a great point a couple of years ago. The only other person that kinda gets lost in the shuffle here is Lary Doby, who was the first black American League player and was subjected to the same racism as Jackie. He arrived on the scene a couple of months after Jackie did. He should be honored as well.

Thome_Fan
04-16-2010, 01:29 PM

I was just making a joke off what Allegheny said. It's from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The answer to life, the universe, and everything is 42. Now they just have to figure out what the question is.

asindc
04-16-2010, 01:32 PM
It's great what Branch Rickey did, but what exactly did he have to go through that equalled what Jackie Robinson did? He's not the one that had to suffer the abuse of racism silently from fans and players. And TheOldRoman brought up a great point acouple of years ago. The only other person that kinda gets lost in the shuffle here is Lary Doby, who was the first black American League player and was subjected to the same racism as Jackie. He arrived on the scene a couple of months after Jackie did. He should be honored as well.

Hear, hear! :gulp:A Sox manager as well.