PDA

View Full Version : WCIU and the MLB package question

VA_GoGoSox
04-14-2010, 02:47 PM
Mods -- I think this is the proper forum for this. If not, I apologize.

Does anyone know if the blackout rules for the MLB package have changed since last year? We don't get WCIU here in Peoria, but the bar down the street gets direct tv and the baseball package. In the past, the games on WCIU were always blacked out on the package in central Illinois. Does anyone know if that has changed since last year?

Do I really have to listen to our radio broadcast tonight? Am I stranded in DJ/Farmer land?:o:

DSpivack
04-14-2010, 02:51 PM
If you're normally blacked out, then no, nothing has changed.

If you're in the blackout, you're in the blackout area, doesn't matter what station the game is being broadcast on.

doublem23
04-14-2010, 02:51 PM
About midway in the gray fine text at the bottom of this page there is a text box you can punch your ZIP code in to see what teams' black out areas you are in. I just checked my old ZIP code from when I lived in Peoria (61606) and the Sox are still blacked out there. Looks like you get to enjoy baseball 1930s style tonight!

http://mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/index.jsp

VA_GoGoSox
04-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the replies. Every season I hope this gets fixed, and every season I am disappointed. If anyone wants to know how Farmer's golf game is, ask me tomorrow--I'm sure I'll know all about it.

DSpivack
04-14-2010, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the replies. Every season I hope this gets fixed, and every season I am disappointed. If anyone wants to know how Farmer's golf game is, ask me tomorrow--I'm sure I'll know all about it.

What gets fixed? That you'd get WCIU in Peoria?

doublem23
04-14-2010, 03:08 PM
What gets fixed? That you'd get WCIU in Peoria?

Either that or they lift the blackout restriction on people who can't get the channel that the game is broadcast on.

WCIU and CSN+ games were easily the most frustrating thing about living in Peoria. That and small-town life being boring as hell.

DSpivack
04-14-2010, 03:10 PM
Either that or they lift the blackout restriction on people who can't get the channel that the game is broadcast on.

WCIU and CSN+ games were easily the most frustrating thing about living in Peoria. That and small-town life being boring as hell.

Yeah, I understand having blackout restrictions in the team's market, but beyond that it gets ridiculous.

If you live in Las Vegas, you're blacked out from the Diamondbacks, Padres, Dodgers, Angels, A's and Giants. That's insane.

doublem23
04-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Yeah, I understand having blackout restrictions in the team's market, but beyond that it gets ridiculous.

If you live in Las Vegas, you're blacked out from the Diamondbacks, Padres, Dodgers, Angels, A's and Giants. That's insane.

Same with people who live in Iowa, who are blacked out from Cubs, Sox, Twins, Cardinals, Brewers, and Royals games.

Speaking the Royals black-out, IT IS HUGE!!! All of Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and non-St. Louis Metro Missouri is blacked out of Royals games. No wonder they have no fans, nobody can see their games.

Lip Man 1
04-14-2010, 03:57 PM
According to Bob Grim WCIU Sox games are not available on the DirecTV extra innings package because that station hasn't been able to upgrade their equipment to where DirecTV gcan make the connection.

Lip

Brian26
04-14-2010, 08:52 PM
According to Bob Grim WCIU Sox games are not available on the DirecTV extra innings package because that station hasn't been able to upgrade their equipment to where DirecTV gcan make the connection.

Lip

It's a chore trying to watch games on WCIU in standard def.

FielderJones
04-14-2010, 09:21 PM
It's a chore trying to watch games on WCIU in standard def.

Over-the-air they look good in HD.

Brian26
04-14-2010, 09:27 PM
Over-the-air they look good in HD.

I'm watching on Directv, and they don't offer HD yet. However, that's supposed to change later this year.

FielderJones
04-14-2010, 10:38 PM
I'm watching on Directv, and they don't offer HD yet. However, that's supposed to change later this year.

:geezer: Go up on the roof, mount one of these (http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=03&p=HD7695P&d=Winegard-HD-7695P-High-Definition-VHFUHF-HD769-Series-TV-Antenna-%28HD7695P%29&c=TV%20Antennas&sku=), and run a 75Ω coax back to your TV.

jdm2662
04-15-2010, 08:32 AM
I noticed the U still broadcasts their analog signal. We don't have cable yet, so it was nice to actually see a game last night. :D:

FielderJones
04-15-2010, 11:13 AM
I noticed the U still broadcasts their analog signal. We don't have cable yet, so it was nice to actually see a game last night. :D:

You watched on an analog TV hooked to an antenna? :scratch: I watched WCIU turn off their analog signal on the last night of analog broadcast. I had no idea they have turned it back on!

WhiteSoxFTW
04-15-2010, 11:15 AM
Where does WCIU actually broadcast from? (i.e. Where is their tower?)

FielderJones
04-15-2010, 11:23 AM
Where does WCIU actually broadcast from? (i.e. Where is their tower?)

Willis Tower (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WCIU)

jdm2662
04-15-2010, 11:25 AM
You watched on an analog TV hooked to an antenna? :scratch: I watched WCIU turn off their analog signal on the last night of analog broadcast. I had no idea they have turned it back on!

It's actually on channel 23. Channel 48 (ME TOO) still has theirs on, but that one is really hard to get. It wasn't great reception, but it came in... To think I wanted to go without cable for a while in my new house. Um, I changed my mind. :redneck I do have a digital TV, but I'm lucky if I get two stations at a time. The picture is much better, but boy, is it a pain.