PDA

View Full Version : Mark Buehlre's perfect game thread

BigHurt3515
04-12-2010, 06:17 PM
So i was just looking around the forums and saw the Perfect game thread from last year. I was reading the posts from the last 2 pages and I got the chills again. Only 17 I will never forget sitting in my car in the middle of a parking lot looking at my phone and listening to the radio then goin crazy after the last out. Honking my horn and running around. I looked like an idiot but it was well worth it. And I live in St. Louis and nobody knew what was going on. Got a lot of stares.. Good times.
Just wanted to give you guys a story.
Lets hear some of yours

soltrain21
04-12-2010, 06:41 PM
I was at the game with Hi I'm Skot, Scott's dad and Scott's friend Conrad. I wanted to throw up from the 7th inning on.

mzh
04-12-2010, 06:44 PM
Was in the first row by the rain tarp. Literally ran out in to the aisle moaning with the almost-HR :redface:

BRDSR
04-12-2010, 06:51 PM
Was in the first row by the rain tarp. Literally ran out in to the aisle moaning with the almost-HR :redface:

So...did you stick around long enough to see the catch or were you already in the aisle moaning?

I was at work in D.C. following the game on GameDay...not a lot of productivity after the 6th inning.

chisox616
04-12-2010, 07:04 PM
So i was just looking around the forums and saw the Perfect game thread from last year. I was reading the posts from the last 2 pages and I got the chills again. Only 17 I will never forget sitting in my car in the middle of a parking lot looking at my phone and listening to the radio then goin crazy after the last out. Honking my horn and running around. I looked like an idiot but it was well worth it. And I live in St. Louis and nobody knew what was going on. Got a lot of stares.. Good times.
Just wanted to give you guys a story.
Lets hear some of yours

Haha, I live in O'Fallon when i'm not at college, but I gotta say, a lot of people around here were pretty well aware of it. Pretty soon everyone was all "OMG my friend is Buehrle's cousin!" etc etc. O'Fallon is pretty close to St. Charles.

I didn't get to see it until MLB Network picked it up, my dad turned it on in the 9th. Of course, the first batter I see almost hit a HR (...almost) and I lost it, I was so pissed, I blamed myself for watching at that point, haha. Then...magic happened. After Wise's catch I didn't move.

BigHurt3515
04-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Haha, I live in O'Fallon when i'm not at college, but I gotta say, a lot of people around here were pretty well aware of it. Pretty soon everyone was all "OMG my friend is Buehrle's cousin!" etc etc. O'Fallon is pretty close to St. Charles.

I didn't get to see it until MLB Network picked it up, my dad turned it on in the 9th. Of course, the first batter I see almost hit a HR (...almost) and I lost it, I was so pissed, I blamed myself for watching at that point, haha. Then...magic happened. After Wise's catch I didn't move.

yeah i live in arnold which is close to Jefferson College. Its awesome knowing he was right there and made it from a little Juco college right here

Cat Thief
04-12-2010, 09:31 PM
Had tickets for the game, the wife and I both left work early. Started arguing on 55 about some bull****, made the right on to 294 south and went home.

I watched it from my pool. She watched in the basement. We watched it together in the ninth.

The kicker is we went to Bridgeport to drink and celebrate after that.

Till this day.......:puking:

Frontman
04-12-2010, 09:42 PM
I watched that game on my couch with my son. When Wise was put in; I was bemoaning the fact that Brian Anderson was traded earlier in the week.

Glad Wise pulled that play out of nowhere.

Was an awesome afternoon.

soxlady8
04-12-2010, 10:02 PM
section 507 ... fairly low row !!

Very last minute excursion -- I am off during the summer so day games are a-okay during the week --

neighbor knocks on my door about an hour and a half w 4 tickets !!

I live 1.5 miles from the ball park so it really wasn't a problem.

However, I had no one else who could go w me last minute---

On the way in I gave two tickets to some kids.

I bought a hot dog special and enjoyed the game while texting people/facebooking people while the game is going on ---

6 innings in I knew it could have been something special ---

THEN IT WAS ---
it was really GREAT as last summer for me WAS awful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went to CB Ranch this spring w a mission to get it signed by Burhls or Castro -- did not happen :(

I could have had Coop sign it as he and his family were hanging at my hotel pool but I was enjoying my swim and totally forgot it was in my purse w a sharpie --uuuuuuuuuuuuughhhhh

y2j2785
04-12-2010, 10:22 PM
I was at work and I had all kinds of people calling and texting me when the game was over. The worst part was that when I started telling people at work about it no one seemed to care.

WhiteSoxFTW
04-12-2010, 10:22 PM
I watched the gameday at work like usual. I picked up the mlb.com feed as soon as someone in the game thread said it was up. I was jumping up and down at work like a crazy person.

My buddy, who is in the Marines, was home on leave and his uncle happened to get 4 club level tickets from work. So they went with his brother and my buddy's girlfriend. She is not a baseball fan and had no idea what was going on. She kept asking why they were acting weird and didn't tell her about it until it was over. They didn't want to jinx it, lol.

SOXfnNlansing
04-12-2010, 10:35 PM
I have some what of an interesting story. I was working at Citgo in Lemont. The boss wouldn't let us have a radio in the office. I was just checking scores on my old phone (not smart phone) and it said 0 hits through 5. I went out to my truck to listen to the radio for a few minutes to see if it was a no hitter.

Farmer said that he was perfect through 6. I then followed the rest of the game on my phone (since I had to be in the trailer). I swear my phone's version of mlb.com said 'H' to right field and showed a red dot on 2nd base in the 9th. mlb.com froze for it seems like 5 minutes.

I ran out to my truck to listen to what happened (I thought Pods probably dropped the ball or something). I got to hear the grounder to Ramirez and the throw to Konerko. It was something that I won't forget. I was so deflated (from my phone), then it was like I was reborn listening to Farmio make the call.

DSpivack
04-12-2010, 10:45 PM
I was out running errands or something with family. A friend called and asked something about the Sox game, but often does so I thought nothing of it. I got home sometime in the 7th inning, decided to turn the rest of the game on [I had no idea what was happening]. I was like "Holy ****!" and was speechless the rest of the game.

GoGoCrede
04-12-2010, 10:47 PM
I was in class. :angry: I was able to watch the first 5 innings or so, then I had to leave. I was keeping a close eye on my phone, texting my friend who was on a road trip. When Mark did it, I left the room to squeal and check WSI.

It was glorious.

oeo
04-12-2010, 10:50 PM
SEC 106:
z4LFdFqGEKA

Can't really see a thing in the video and I'm shaking, but at least I got the energy in the park.

I almost turned down the chance to go to it, too. So glad I didn't.

BigHurt3515
04-12-2010, 11:43 PM
SEC 106:
z4LFdFqGEKA

Can't really see a thing in the video and I'm shaking, but at least I got the energy in the park.

Damn just got the chills. Amazing.. Funny think is i was in Chicago for Buehrle's start b4 the perfect game against the O's. Missed it by 5 freaking days!!

manders_01
04-12-2010, 11:54 PM
SEC 106:
z4LFdFqGEKA

That's a great video oeo!

I was at work. And since I'm not allowed to watch games during work, I sneak a peek at Gameday as often as I can. So that's what I did. I didn't really know what was going on since I was checking so sporadically. :(: But as soon as I found out, I was walking on air the rest of the afternoon.

WhiteSoxFTW
04-13-2010, 12:04 AM
That's a great video oeo!

I was at work. And since I'm not allowed to watch games during work, I sneak a peek at Gameday as often as I can. So that's what I did. I didn't really know what was going on since I was checking so sporadically. :(: But as soon as I found out, I was walking on air the rest of the afternoon.
Me too. I didn't really get to share it with anyone that was truly a baseball fan until I got home. There is one girl I work with who is a Cubs "fan" that actually understood what a perfect game is, though.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-13-2010, 12:15 AM
I didn't find out about it until after it happened...:angry:

I was stuck at work, and I got text updates, but all it said was the score. Finally, at about 3:00, my boss' phone rings, he picks up, talks for a second, hangs up, and says "Mark Buehrle pitched a perfect game."

I was like..."No, please...not again." (I had missed the entire no hitter in '07 too, due to school) I was simultaneously ecstatic and furious the rest of the afternoon. After work, I rushed home and went on WSI, to find the party well in progress.

Some luck, huh?

BadBobbyJenks
04-13-2010, 02:22 AM
One day I will do something with my ticket stub.

Never been so nervous/excited/thrilled at a sporting event than sitting at the Cell after the 7th inning. Went there by complete chance that afternoon.

jackbrohamer
04-13-2010, 11:32 AM
A friend of mine (ex-reporter) got me a seat in the pressbox. He told me at the start of the game that "there's no cheering in the press box;" with 2 outs in the 9th, he turned to me and said "nobody will mind if you cheer if he closes it out."

A reporter (IIRC from the Orlando Journal-Sentinel) turned to another reporter with 2 outs in the 5th and said "Hay, he's got a perfect game going!" Not the most observant writers down there!

I turned my head in disgust and swore when I saw Wise jump for the ball, and totally missed the catch.

GoGoCrede
04-13-2010, 12:14 PM
I remember reading on here someone who had tickets for this game, but ended up not going for some reason or another. Bummer!

MountainCur
04-13-2010, 12:16 PM
It was my 4 year old's birthday.

Grandparents had just come over and were sort of mad that I kept watching the game.
My son will, obviously, forever know the date of the perfect game.

tebman
04-13-2010, 03:28 PM
It's like a weird dream. My son and I were at the game.

I've got the Ozzie Plan for 13 games. When the tickets are ordered in December, you pick two games a month for each month in the season, and a thirteenth "Ozzie Game" from a more limited selection of dates, mostly weekday afternoon games. I arbitrarily chose a Thursday in July thinking that if I couldn't get the day off my son and a friend could use the tickets.

I was able to take a vacation day and we went. I told my wife that I expected a low-key afternoon. By the fourth inning I pointed out my scorecard and said hey, Buehrle hasn't given up a hit. By the sixth we and the people sitting around us were getting nervous. We sat down the third-base line in the lower deck getting twitchier and twitchier. An edgy guy sitting behind us told us all, "Don't say a word! Not a word!"

When Kapler his his fly in the ninth, I followed the ball with my mouth open, never noticing Wise heading for the wall. I saw him jump and fall, but from our angle couldn't tell if he had the ball. I watched the second-base umpire who had trotted out to center field pump his fist for the out and realized I'd been holding my breath as I exhaled with a roar.

We were all on our feet for the last out, of course, groaning comically at every pitch not called a strike. When the last out was made, things seemed to go in slow motion as I kept telling myself I didn't believe what I had just seen. We didn't want to leave the park. My son took pictures with his cellphone of the scoreboard with the final line score and we just hung around until it was announced that the park was closing.

Simply unbelievable. We're mounting the ticket stubs, my scorecard, the Sports Illustrated issue with Buehrle's picture, and my empty peanut bag in a poster frame. Otherwise I might not believe it myself.

Sam Spade
04-14-2010, 02:40 AM
I was at the game with Hi I'm Skot
Sorry.

JimmyJames
04-15-2010, 04:29 PM
A good freind of mine and I made the decision to go to one of the games that week. The only day my buddy and I were free was Thursday. Once we found out it was a day game we said, "Well, screw it, let's take a half day, we haven't been to a game together in a while." His GF got 4 tickets behind the Sox dugout in about the 20th row, pretty decent seats.

We had takers for 3 of the 4 tickets. My GF turned the fourth one down as she had grad school that evening and she didn't think she could make it back out to Naperville by the time it started. My buddy's friend also turned down the seat. Both are still kicking themselves. My buddy's friend who turned the ticket down also turned down a ticket for the April game that turned out to be Buherle's first no hitter for which we were also in attendance. What are the odds.

Anyway, here are my flickr photos.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7380406@N04/sets/72157621807779798/

longshot7
04-15-2010, 04:56 PM
Mods, can someone fix the spelling in the thread title? It's the least Mark deserves.

soltrain21
04-15-2010, 05:05 PM
Sorry.

I have no idea if this is a joke or not.