PDA

View Full Version : Attitudes Toward Going to Wrigley Field?

Viva Medias B's
04-12-2010, 09:21 AM
I believe we have done a poll like this in the past; what are your attitudes as a White Sox fan toward going to Wrigley Field?

guillensdisciple
04-12-2010, 09:37 AM
Only if the White Sox are doing a session over there. Too much weird when I am over there for regular games. I feel like I should be somewhere else.

white sox bill
04-12-2010, 09:38 AM
I voted stomaching a couple games a year. It's a great place to party, game notwithstanding.

Johnny Mostil
04-12-2010, 09:42 AM
"caught dead" is a little strong, but I haven't been in nearly two decades, and have no plans to return. I don't see the Sox as many times as I'd like at the Cel. Why would I give the Cubs my money to see them or anybody else?

SI1020
04-12-2010, 09:45 AM
When I was a kid I thought it was great living in a city with 2 baseball teams. I wasn't going to deny myself the chance to see Hank Aaron or Roberto Clemente. Now I won't go mainly because I find the whole Wrigley experience a giant hassle. Going to the Cell is much easier on my nerves, plus I root for the team that plays there.

GoGoCrede
04-12-2010, 09:45 AM
I picked the first option, but I'm not all that opposed to it. If someone offers me a ticket, I'll probably go. I wouldn't go out of my way to get tickets, though. I don't think I'd go for Cubs-Sox, though I wouldn't go if they were at the Cell, either. Too expensive/crazy.

spawn
04-12-2010, 09:50 AM
I voted that I can stomach agame there, but I won't pay to do it. I just don't like Wrigley Field, and not because the Cubs play there.

Moses_Scurry
04-12-2010, 09:57 AM
I'll go if I have free tickets, but I haven't been there in about 7 years.

I did just go to Cincincatti on Saturday with a cub fan friend of mine. I thought the park was very nice, and it was a beautiful day.

C-Dawg
04-12-2010, 10:15 AM
I went there a bunch of times when I was a kid, ie, late-70s. We saw a double-header against the Cardinals where they honored Jack Brickhouse between games on occasion of some milestone such as his 1,000th or 5,000th broadcast, something like that. And we saw the Reds there a few times, being that we are originally from Cincinnati. One game in particular was a 15-14 slugfest in 1977 which Brickhouse used to mention for years afterward whenever there was a ton of runs scored on each side.

Since them however, I've only been there twice as an adult. I don't like being packed in like sardines (instead of half empty like it was in the 70s). Perhaps I'll take in another game sometime if free tickets come my way.

whitesoxfan1986
04-12-2010, 10:16 AM
I'll go only if I was given free tickets. I would never go to a Sox-Cubs game on either side of town because those series bring out the worst in both fanbases. Too many idiots.

Foulke You
04-12-2010, 10:38 AM
I dislike Wrigley Field but I do go to one game a year there to see our Sox play the Cubs. I look at it as supporting the Sox on the road but you don't have to drive as far as Minnesota or KC. I would never go for a non-Sox game at Wrigley even if I was given free tickets. I would just give the tickets to someone who would enjoy it far more than me.

HomeFish
04-12-2010, 10:39 AM
I wouldn't turn down free tickets, unless I had unmovable plans that day.

jabrch
04-12-2010, 10:44 AM
I won't go for Sox/Cubs...just not fun.

I go a few times a year to take friends who oitherwise probably wouldn't go. (My father-in-law has season tickets). I only go to see teams I want to see play against them. Pittsburgh (since I have family ties to SW PA), St. Louis (great crowd), Dodgers (I like LA) or the Mets (another great crowd)

I don't dislike the Cubs or Wrigley. But it is not convenient for me to go to games, and (in general) I'd rather go to a Sox game if I have extra time.

DumpJerry
04-12-2010, 11:01 AM
A friend of mine treats me once or twice a year to his parents' season seats. I go and enjoy the baseball without stressing over the result.

I've been to two Sox games there (once in the Bleachers). It was not as crazy as the media makes it out to be (nor are the Cub games at Comiskey).

But I sure as Hell won't use the bathrooms there.

LongLiveFisk
04-12-2010, 11:24 AM
None of those options apply to me. While I will go on a rare occasion (free tickets usually) I have gone a small handful of times in my life and it's usually spread out over several years. I have not been there since 1996.

Boondock Saint
04-12-2010, 11:28 AM
I'll go to a game or two a year with some Cub fan friends. But not Cubs-Sox. That's not even worth it.

mbwhitesox
04-12-2010, 11:30 AM
Like other have said, I will go if I'm offered free tickets, which always seems to happen a couple times each year. I'm a White Sox fan first and foremost, but I'm also a fan of baseball in general, so I can still enjoy a game regardless of my feelings for the home team.

BTW, what's the deal with all these free Cubs tickets? I could never understand how a ticket with supposedly such high demand is constantly being given away for free? :scratch:

DSpivack
04-12-2010, 11:35 AM
I picked option #2, but I haven't been there since [I think it was] 2004.

Gavin
04-12-2010, 11:47 AM
****, I'll go just to go. it's mlb baseball. I spent 23 years of my life with the closest thing to baseball being the tampa bay rays AAA team---THERE WERE NO BEER GUYS.

that being said.. I'm not dying to go to wrigley field but hey I'm never against watching some baseball.

PatK
04-12-2010, 11:51 AM
I'll go if it's a free ticket.

I won't go to Cubs/Sox games at either stadium. It seems like those games bring out the trash of both fan bases in full force.

C-Dawg
04-12-2010, 11:54 AM
I'll go to a game or two a year with some Cub fan friends. But not Cubs-Sox. That's not even worth it.

I agree, I won't go to those games any more. Maybe its because each Cubs-Sox game I've been to has been a painful loss or maybe its because of bad fan behavior.... Either way, no thanks.

FoulTerritory
04-12-2010, 11:54 AM
****, I'll go just to go. it's mlb baseball. I spent 23 years of my life with the closest thing to baseball being the tampa bay rays AAA team---THERE WERE NO BEER GUYS.

that being said.. I'm not dying to go to wrigley field but hey I'm never against watching some baseball.

I agree with this sentiment. I don't mind Wrigley. Sunshine, baseball, and a couple beers are good times no matter who is playing.

Although when I go, I do enjoy rooting for the road team, merely out of spite.

OldRomanPizza
04-12-2010, 12:14 PM
I go every now and then because my mom is a Cubs fan and we take her there to treat her.

Have only been to one Sox Cubs game at Wrigley, but that was with my parents when I was way young. Must be great to go when the Sox win but hellacious when they lose.

GoGoCrede
04-12-2010, 12:16 PM
I go every now and then because my mom is a Cubs fan and we take her there to treat her.

Have only been to one Sox Cubs game at Wrigley, but that was with my parents when I was way young. Must be great to go when the Sox win but hellacious when they lose.

I feel for every Sox fan who was at Wrigley when Aramis hit that walkoff two years ago. I was at home, and even I was cringing.

WhiteSoxFTW
04-12-2010, 12:20 PM
The last time I was there is when the White Sox and the Cubs were still doing the crosstown preseason games in late March or whatever. I was probably eight or so, which meant it would've been in '93 (or close to that). That said, I would like to go to a game so I can have a first hand idea on all the negative opinions of that ballpark.

I just don't want to pay those prices to "see" the ballpark. The Cubs have the highest average non-premium seating ticket prices in MLB.

TDog
04-12-2010, 12:34 PM
I have been to a few games at Wrigley. The first was in June 1969. A couple more were in the early 1970s. As a kid 40 years ago, I thought it was a smelly run-down place, not at all a fun place to watch a baseball game. Now that there is a Cubs culture and a celebration of the smelly old falling-apart place and their tradition, I can only imagine it would be worse.

I would go to Wrigley again if it were required for my job. I can't think of any other circumstances under which I would go there. I was in Chicago a couple of of years ago, and I was disappointed that the Sox were in Wrigley at time. As far as I was concerned, they might as well have been playing in Atlanta because it precluded me from going to see the Sox play. And most of the Sox games I've been to in the last three years (really, since mid-2003) have been in Oakland.

Nellie_Fox
04-12-2010, 12:35 PM
I haven't been to Wrigley since 1963, and I went then because it was a day out of school. I can't think of anything that would get me to go help their image of an overflow crowd every day.

tebman
04-12-2010, 01:33 PM
I haven't been to a game there in more than ten years. Not because I boycott it, but there's no incentive for me to scrounge for an expensive ticket and deal with the too-crowded hassle of the place. When I was a kid we would go to occasional Cub games, but then it was easier to get tickets and get around up there.

I've got a friend I've known since childhood. He was always a Cubs fan and I was always a Sox fan. It's never been an issue for us because we both love baseball, but Wrigley Field has become an issue for him. He hasn't been to a game for years because he doesn't like what it's become. Instead of being among baseball fans, he found himself shoulder-to-shoulder with louts who had no idea what was going on.

It'll be interesting to see what the new owners do in next couple of years. No matter what they do the ballpark isn't going to change its tourist-attraction status for a long time.

Dibbs
04-12-2010, 01:45 PM
I think I could stomach going there once a year, but i have only been there 3 times in my life. Once I was 14 and it was free. Another time was a work function, and of course free. The third time was versus the Sox. I did pay for those, only because I wanted to experience the game there just once.

WhiteSoxFTW
04-12-2010, 01:49 PM
I would be interested to hear some first-hand experiences from people that go to a few non-Sox games there each year. It seems like a lot of the stuff I hear about Wrigley is over the top criticism. I mean, I know the place is "dirty and smelly", but can someone talk about their experiences instead of blanket reactionary criticism.

KnightSox
04-12-2010, 01:55 PM
I have been to Wrigley just once in my life, I did not pay for the tickets. I guess I would go again but not a Sox/Cubs series, and that goes for both sides of town.

The experience wasn't bad, my only issue was the dumbass Cub fans standing in front of me getting Sammy Sosa's brothers autograph.

C-Dawg
04-12-2010, 01:57 PM
I would be interested to hear some first-hand experiences from people that go to a few non-Sox games there each year. It seems like a lot of the stuff I hear about Wrigley is over the top criticism. I mean, I know the place is "dirty and smelly", but can someone talk about their experiences instead of blanket reactionary criticism.

I went to an April or early-May game against the Phillies in 2005. It was cold and windy and very uncomfortable. The Cubs jumped out to an early 1-0 lead which they held until the 7th when Philly took the lead. The ballpark was absolutely packed until - get this - as soon as the 7th Inning Stretch was over, they started leaving in droves. Yes, with the home team batting the fans were headed out early, I'm assuming to get good seats at the bars. I mean, they saw Coach Ditka sing, why stick around? Sure it was cold, but the way they abandoned the place was almost comical. I don't think there were more than 10,000 or so remaining to see Philly add some insurance runs in the 9th and win it by 4-1.

doublem23
04-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Last year's Cubs/Sox game at Wrigley (the Linebrink implosion) was the first game I'd been to the Shrine in 10 years. And now I have tickets to Friday's game.. Which I got for free since its 47th Ward Day.

:dunno:

I wouldn't go out of my way to go to a game there, but it's not like I'm turning tickets down.

Smokey Burg
04-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Been there, done that, big deal. I haven't been to Wrigley since 1999, and have no plans on going back. Sight lines are poor, many seats are at least partially blocked from most of the action and a few are really terrible. Concessions choices are poor, "washrooms" are pathetic at best and on a weekend game they are un-sanitary by about the 4th inning. Concourses are small, tight and jam up quickly. I felt claustrophobic the last few times I was there. Also, the last several times I was there, it seemed like most of the people at the game (I will not call them fans) were there mostly for the "party" atmosphere and they were there as part of a large group or with comped tickets. Now I may be on the verge of becoming an old curmudgeon, but for me, the place has lost its appeal.

Chrisaway
04-12-2010, 02:52 PM
I haven't been to a game there since 1998. Unless I got free tix to see em play the Sox, I doubt I'll be going to a game there this summer.

russ99
04-12-2010, 02:54 PM
Only if the White Sox are doing a session over there. Too much weird when I am over there for regular games. I feel like I should be somewhere else.

Aw cmon. It's always fun to cheer against the Cubs.

Although I once cheered for Barry Bonds with the Giants. Feel dirty about that...

harwar
04-12-2010, 03:36 PM
my buddy and i went in 1969 .. spent our return bus money at the park and had to walk all the way back to bridgeport .. we had to run some of the time .. we were 14 .. it a fun memory now, but we were scared to death at the time ..

Rohan
04-12-2010, 05:36 PM
None of those options apply to me. While I will go on a rare occasion (free tickets usually) I have gone a small handful of times in my life and it's usually spread out over several years. I have not been there since 1996.

It's all about the free tickets. Cubs tickets are simply just too expensive for me. I'll take free tickets to any baseball game.

BadBobbyJenks
04-12-2010, 07:17 PM
I still like to party there.

Madscout
04-12-2010, 09:59 PM
My whole family are Cub fans, and my dad used to take me to Sox games to see Frank, so I go out of respect for him. I took him to a game when they were still living in NW IN.

tony1972
04-12-2010, 11:13 PM
I believe we have done a poll like this in the past; what are your attitudes as a White Sox fan toward going to Wrigley Field?

This sounds awful..but I'll go to one or two Cubs games a year either (1) Work Outing or (2) Friend Invite..but if I go.I have to drink first. I could never go there sober. So if I'm fairly intoxicated..I can tolerate a Cubs game or being around Cubs fans. I could not do it sober.

StillMissOzzie
04-13-2010, 12:08 AM
Sure are a lot of peeps holding out for free tickets! The last time I was there was for the crosstown doubleheader, with the Cubs getting whipped by Willie Harris in the daylight, and then Elvis Night on the South Side. IIRC, Chelios threw out the first ball for both games and both Chicago teams lost. At least the Bob Chinn Mai Tais were good.

SMO
:gulp:

JB98
04-13-2010, 02:00 AM
I believe I've been to four games there in my lifetime, but none since 2001.

I've pretty much vowed to never set foot in Wrigley Field ever again. I won't even take free tickets to go. I don't enjoy watching baseball with Cubs fans, even if the Cubs are playing somebody other than the Sox.

Why do something that you don't enjoy?

Foulke You
04-13-2010, 02:40 AM
I went to an April or early-May game against the Phillies in 2005. It was cold and windy and very uncomfortable. The Cubs jumped out to an early 1-0 lead which they held until the 7th when Philly took the lead. The ballpark was absolutely packed until - get this - as soon as the 7th Inning Stretch was over, they started leaving in droves. Yes, with the home team batting the fans were headed out early, I'm assuming to get good seats at the bars. I mean, they saw Coach Ditka sing, why stick around? Sure it was cold, but the way they abandoned the place was almost comical. I don't think there were more than 10,000 or so remaining to see Philly add some insurance runs in the 9th and win it by 4-1.
I saw the infamous "mass exodus" of Cubs fans during a 1 run game Sox vs. Cubs a few years ago. My Uncle and I suddenly had about 3 rows in our section to ourselves by the Top of the 8th inning. Almost all of them were talking about which bar to meet up at during the previous inning. It isn't a stereotype if they live up to it.

Also, the Cubs have added a feeble "fan deck" type section behind home plate. It is basically a concrete platform with beer kiosks and tables that they've set up. Mostly standing room. The kicker is that this "fan deck" is outside the viewing area of the ballpark and there are no TVs there to keep track of the game yet the deck is packed the entire time. I know this because I had last row in the upper deck in 2008 during a Cubs/Sox game and I could see the deck behind me from where I was sitting. Everyone on the deck was dressed in Cubs blue.

SoxGirl4Life
04-13-2010, 07:18 AM
I've gone to one game at Wrigley in my life. In the summer of 2005. It was a work event. It was a sky-box deal. I have no idea who won because I was socializing with the bank people that invited us.

As I walked up to the park, my only thought was.. "Wow, its like a big eye-sore in the middle of the neighborhood". HOWEVER, the concourse reminded me of old Comiskey. So that was kind of surreal.

C-Dawg
04-13-2010, 09:10 AM
I saw the infamous "mass exodus" of Cubs fans during a 1 run game Sox vs. Cubs a few years ago. My Uncle and I suddenly had about 3 rows in our section to ourselves by the Top of the 8th inning.

Was that the Mark Buehrle vs. Glendon Rusch game in 2004 where the Cubs led 1-0 for most of the game until the Sox tied it (I believe with a Carlos Lee HR)? Unfortunately Shingo loaded the bases in the bottom of the 9th just in time for Marte to walk in the winning run.... I was there for that game (the only other game I've been to there as an adult, after the one I mentioned earlier). What a nightmare.

Anyway, the stereotypes were in full force that night. We were in the upper deck, surrounded by drunk 20-something kids who spent the whole game on their phones, going to buy more beer or going to the restrooms. Not one of them was watching the game. The guy next to me called everyone on his phone list to tell them he's at the game. Seriously, when they ask "who's winning?" in a tight pitcher's duel like that one, you KNOW they've not been watching.

rwcescato
04-13-2010, 10:13 AM

I have no interest at all to ever going back Last time I was there Cards vs cubs in 1998. Free tickets of course.

tick53
04-13-2010, 10:22 AM
I went with "wouldn't be caught dead there". That last time I visited the unfriendly confines was at a crosstown game. I was dressed on full Sox regalia. I got rednecked on before, during and after the game. I almost got into a fight with some Cub fan airhole on the way out but self-control got the better of me and I walked away. The odds were not in my favor. The part that really got to me was that the Cubs beat the Sox that day. No, not ever shall I return. If someone gave me tickets to a Cubs / Sox World Series game behind home plate, I'd stay home and watch them. Seriously.
Screw Wrigley Field!

guillensdisciple
04-13-2010, 12:49 PM
The only time I will go there besides White Sox games is if I felt like I needed to get drunk while getting a really good laugh. I have done it twice, and both times worked out well. It's worse when you're wearing Sox gear though, so I usually just wear normal clothing to make sure no one slits my throat.

LongLiveFisk
04-13-2010, 02:23 PM
The only time I will go there besides White Sox games is if I felt like I needed to get drunk while getting a really good laugh. I have done it twice, and both times worked out well. It's worse when you're wearing Sox gear though, so I usually just wear normal clothing to make sure no one slits my throat.

It's pretty sad you should have to feel that way. I see plenty of Cubs crap when I'm at the Cell and I doubt any of them are afraid to do it.

guillensdisciple
04-13-2010, 02:36 PM
It's pretty sad you should have to feel that way. I see plenty of Cubs crap when I'm at the Cell and I doubt any of them are afraid to do it.

I agree, but I am one that prefers to have attention somewhere else so I stay away from it.

To me, it seems like there is a lot more dissent from Cubs fans towards Sox fans than there is the other way around.

g0g0
04-13-2010, 02:45 PM
I don't care to go unless they are playing the Sox. Within the strong feelings of dislike, I just wouldn't enjoy it. Plus I'd rather pay to watch baseball on the southside of town. :cool:

FielderJones
04-13-2010, 02:50 PM
The last game (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/2001/B07140CHN2001.htm) I went to the Urinal was nine years ago, with my family plus Cub fan sister-in-law and her Cub fan friends. We were in the last row somewhere far down the third base line, which provided a nice perspective when Carlos Lee went deep. FJ Jr was six years old at the time, and I think he enjoyed his dad's smirk as we left the park, preferably for the last time.

kittle42
04-13-2010, 03:17 PM
I still like to party there.

Agreed, and it's why I voted for the last option.

I hate the Cubs and the Wrigley fans, but I enjoy surrounding myself with people I hate, I guess!

BadBobbyJenks
04-13-2010, 05:13 PM
Agreed, and it's why I voted for the last option.

I hate the Cubs and the Wrigley fans, but I enjoy surrounding myself with people I hate, I guess!

Anytime one of my cubs fan friends has a bleacher ticket, I do not hesitate to take it. I guess I feel the same way you do about those I hate.

veeter
04-13-2010, 05:16 PM
I like going there. But I wouldn't bring my kids there.

LongLiveFisk
04-13-2010, 05:51 PM
To me, it seems like there is a lot more dissent from Cubs fans towards Sox fans than there is the other way around.

Ten years ago I would have disagreed with you but now I totally agree. I think the Sox winning the World Series is a big reason for it but also just the general arrogance so many Cubs fans seem to have with their "everyone should be a Cubs fan" way of thinking. They really resent that a good part of this city is not behind them.

soltrain21
04-13-2010, 06:18 PM
I will go to games from time to time. I normally have a pretty good time. I try to catch the Dodgers when they come through. Always liked seeing the Dodgers play for some reason.

I never sit in the bleachers, so going to the bathroom there is really the only awful thing. I rarely drink to begin with so that isn't an issue.

C-Dawg
04-13-2010, 09:08 PM

I'm starting to agree. It seems the biggest Cub fans I know are VERY thin-skinned and get irritated anytime anything Sox crosses their path. I recently heard one complain he gets angry just seeing World Series bumper stickers and license-plate frames, because he thinks we display that stuff just to piss them off! Its always about them I suppose.

It's worse when you're wearing Sox gear though, so I usually just wear normal clothing to make sure no one slits my throat.

Good point. I don't like seeing them at the Cell wearing their stuff when the Cubs aren't there, so I don't wear Sox stuff at Wrigley unless the Sox are actually there (and I don't go to those games anymore).

SOXSINCE'70
04-14-2010, 06:23 AM
I voted stomaching a couple games a year.

Agreed. Whenever the Phils or D-Backs are in town.:D:

Orta 4-6-3
04-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Ten years ago I would have disagreed with you but now I totally agree. I think the Sox winning the World Series is a big reason for it but also just the general arrogance so many Cubs fans seem to have with their "everyone should be a Cubs fan" way of thinking. They really resent that a good part of this city is not behind them.

Excellent summary! Arrogant is the key word; they have arrogance without accomplishment. I like to refer to them as "self-congratulatory lemmings".

Of course, there are plenty Cub fans who are good baseball fans you can have a civil conversation with. But most I seem to run across are the type all too familiar with WSI posters. I agree, too, with LLF that the insufferable nature of Wrigley/Cub fans is a relatively recent phenomenon. The Sox-Cub rivarly started taking on more of an edge with the advent of interleague play, when they actually started to play each other, and the Cubbie choke in '03 and the Sox winning it all in '05 made them especially bitter and antagonistic.

kittle42
04-14-2010, 06:42 PM
Excellent summary! Arrogant is the key word; they have arrogance without accomplishment. I like to refer to them as "self-congratulatory lemmings".

Of course, there are plenty Cub fans who are good baseball fans you can have a civil conversation with. But most I seem to run across are the type all too familiar with WSI posters. I agree, too, with LLF that the insufferable nature of Wrigley/Cub fans is a relatively recent phenomenon. The Sox-Cub rivarly started taking on more of an edge with the advent of interleague play, when they actually started to play each other, and the Cubbie choke in '03 and the Sox winning it all in '05 made them especially bitter and antagonistic.

Excellent post.

AZChiSoxFan
04-14-2010, 07:06 PM
DISCLAIMER.....it's easier for me because I don't live in Chicago and don't have obnoxious cub fans (sorry to be redundant) in my face 24/7.

I love baseball so I am pretty much always up for taking in a game in any major league stadium. I happened to be in Chicago the first weekend of Oct last year (last weekend of the regular season) and since the cubs were out of it by then, I was able to get some tickets for $5 each. Except for the fact that I had to hear that insanely stupid song at the end of the game, it was actually an enjoyable experience. However, I think the fact that the cubs were totally out of it and Wrigley was only half full had a lot to do with it being a positive experience.

MARTINMVP
04-14-2010, 10:31 PM
DISCLAIMER.....it's easier for me because I don't live in Chicago and don't have obnoxious cub fans (sorry to be redundant) in my face 24/7.

I love baseball so I am pretty much always up for taking in a game in any major league stadium. I happened to be in Chicago the first weekend of Oct last year (last weekend of the regular season) and since the cubs were out of it by then, I was able to get some tickets for $5 each. Except for the fact that I had to hear that insanely stupid song at the end of the game, it was actually an enjoyable experience. However, I think the fact that the cubs were totally out of it and Wrigley was only half full had a lot to do with it being a positive experience.

I was at the last Friday game last year at Wrigley when they were playing the Diamondbacks. On Stubhub, upperdeck tickets behind third base were for sale for a $1. I bought a bleacher seat for $5. I sat next to some random people and after we got started talking, they got pissed off (not at me necessary) that I only paid $5 for my ticket, and they had bought their tickets a while ago thinking that the final weekend of the season would had meant something (i.e. a playoff race). It was a cold, rainy day and the Cubs were getting their asses handed to them pretty badly.

MrT27
04-14-2010, 11:04 PM
First off I'm not an anti-Cubs person. I just view them as just another NL team that happen to be in the same city as my favorite team. I only care about them the 6 games the Sox play against them.

As for me going to Wrigley, I end up going once a year or so but thats it. It has to be a special occasion for me to go (a player I want to see play, a real nice day out, or I get free tickets).

If given a choice I would much rather drive to Milwaukee or maybe even St. Louis to see a game over Wrigley (if the Sox aren't an option that is). Wrigley is just such a pain to get to and the ballpark is just garbage. I've been to a fair amount of ballparks and Wrigley is the worst I've been to, even worse then the Metrodome.

jcw218
04-15-2010, 12:19 AM
I'd have no problem going there for a game or two if asked by a friend who had extra tickets. Would not be my first choice where I was the one who purchased the tickets

johnnyg83
04-15-2010, 12:32 AM
I love it. I think it's a fun place to see a game and go out afterward. The fans? I block them out.

djcollie03
04-19-2010, 02:56 PM
I usually end up going to one Sox/Cubs game at Wrigley a year (sadly the Linebrink debacle last year). Other than that, if I get a freebie, I'll go for the neighborhood and party atmosphere once every few years.

I'll be interested to see if the renovations made in the offseason make all that much of a difference to the park. I've always thought the ambiance angle - this is what a day at the park was like in the good old days - were overrated. Seats are tight, walk ways underneath are tight, disgusting bathrooms and just all around old and dingy.

Outside of the Cubs/Sox series, fans are pretty much the same as anywhere else. The big difference I note is that a ridiculous amount of fans are from out of town and there for the "Wrigley experience." While Cubs "fans", the majority seem much more casual about the outcome and are just there to enjoy the experience of a day at the game.

CPditka
04-19-2010, 04:50 PM
Went this weekend on Sat for Cubs/Stros w/ some friends (free tix). We were in the bleachers. 2 entire rows got thrown out for fighting.

I just shook my head.... but I got a nice tan.

twsoxfan5
04-20-2010, 09:43 AM
There is tradition in my family starting with my dad that none of us have ever been inside Wrigley and I plan on continuing that tradition.

soxlady8
04-20-2010, 04:42 PM
I have a friend that is a Cub fan so I can stomache a game or two there w her as she goes to the Cell to stomache a few games w me.

Mr. Soxlady8 was brought up near St.Louis -- We have not gone to any Cubs /Cardinal games , but I would if I had the opportunity --

VMSNS
04-20-2010, 05:06 PM
I've been to Wrigley once in my life, and that was last summer vs. the Phillies (I believe it was in August). My girlfriend is a causal Cub fan and I promised I'd take her. It wasn't a terrible experience, but it's not something I'd really want to do again. I guess I'd be willing to go once or twice a year just to see the opposing team.

Based on my one visit there, a lot of stereotypes are true. The place smells, and it's dirty and cramped (especially the concourse). Fortunately, I didn't get a chance to visit the bathroom. There were two middle-aged couples sitting behind us, and all they were doing was talking about how bad the Sox are and how The Cell wasn't a nice field, blah blah blah. Cub fans that say they don't care about the Sox are full of ****. Rich Harden took a no-hitter into the 5th or 6th, and you could tell that nobody even noticed. The guy next to me even said "Harden doesn't look good today". Everyone is on their phones or talking to the person next to them.

I also noticed a good amount of the stadium clear out during the later innings, even though the game was tied. Then, all the "bro's" came down from the bleachers down to our section and were walking around shirtless and shouting stuff at the Phillies players on the field.

I also second the notion that Cub fans are thin-skinned. They seem to take major offense to anything Sox-related. I find it to be quite funny, actually.

kevingrt
04-20-2010, 06:33 PM
Anytime I get free tickets I go. And I usually go to a White Sox game every year though. But would I ever pay money to see the Cubs play anyone minus the White Sox? NO!

slavko
04-20-2010, 07:03 PM
Old Russian Proverb: Every duck prefers its own swamp.

sullythered
04-20-2010, 11:14 PM
I am actually physically uncomfortable at Wrigley Field.

TDog
04-21-2010, 12:09 AM
There is tradition in my family starting with my dad that none of us have ever been inside Wrigley and I plan on continuing that tradition.

I worked in Alaska with an editor who hated the White Sox. He said that when he was a kid, he brought home free White Sox tickets that he had earned by getting straight A's in school. His father tore them up and said no one in this family ever has been to a White Sox game and no one would ever go to a White Sox game.

I told him that I learned to think for myself, and in fact, family members had taken me to Cubs game when I was a kid.

As much as I respect your family tradition, I think I came by my hatred for the Cubs and Wrigley Field more honestly than my editor friend came by his hatred for everything related to the White Sox.

NorthSideSox72
04-21-2010, 10:46 AM
I've never been a big Cubs hater. I'll go to a game there once every year or two with friends who have tickets, and have a good time. Its a baseball game, in Chicago, in a classic stadium. Yes, the fans have a greater tendency to be basebally-stupid, and not really have a clue what is going on. But really, any team has a percentage of that, and I don't think its a ton higher for the Cubs fans.

The schadenfreude you see from some Sox fans in watching the Cubs lose is a little sad, really. What kind of life must you have if you get so much enjoyment out of seeing some baseball team lose? I don't root FOR The Cubs, and I occasionally laugh at their debacles, but that's about it.

ktssox
04-21-2010, 11:53 AM
I worked in Alaska with an editor who hated the White Sox. He said that when he was a kid, he brought home free White Sox tickets that he had earned by getting straight A's in school. His father tore them up and said no one in this family ever has been to a White Sox game and no one would ever go to a White Sox game.

I told him that I learned to think for myself, and in fact, family members had taken me to Cubs game when I was a kid.

As much as I respect your family tradition, I think I came by my hatred for the Cubs and Wrigley Field more honestly than my editor friend came by his hatred for everything related to the White Sox.

I am tw's sister. My dad grew up on the far south side of the city. He said that back then, you just didn't make that trek up to the north side. If he wanted to see a game, there was a much closer stadium fielding a team he actually liked. He just said there was no reason to travel all the way up there to see a team he didn't care about.

It has only turned into this silly/funny tradition because my dad thinks its neat to say he's lived in Chicago all his life and never stepped foot in one if its landmarks. His children just decided to continue the tradition. We're not staying away because we hate the cubs so much we can't image stepping foot in their stadium. I think now we all just think it's amusing and fun to say we've never been there, especially when everyone tells you it's something you have to experience.

Frontman
04-21-2010, 12:47 PM
It's a part of baseball; and I'll take my son when he's old enough to appreciate sitting the entire game. If I could; I'd visit every baseball park in the majors at least once.

DSpivack
04-21-2010, 01:17 PM
It's a part of baseball; and I'll take my son when he's old enough to appreciate sitting the entire game. If I could; I'd visit every baseball park in the majors at least once.

I would love to do that, as well. I've been to 10 current parks and 3 ones that have since been torn down, so I have a ways to go.

WhiteSoxFTW
04-21-2010, 02:22 PM

Me too. I was going to start on that task this summer and see St. Louis and KC, but I bought a Sox split package instead. I've been to the Cell, Wrigely, Tropicana, and AT&T. I haven't been to Wrigley since I was 10 and that was a preseason game, so I'd like to go as an adult and see all of this stuff firsthand.

FarmerAndy
04-22-2010, 01:20 PM
I go to about 4 or 5 games at Wrigley every year. A buddy of mine gets good seats for free from his work, and we go. I like baseball, and it's cool to go see N.L. teams that I don't get to see as often. I don't root for or against the Cubs. As a fan of the game it's nice to sit and watch objectively, without any rooting interests at all. I truly enjoy that.

I don't ever spend money on Cub tickets. Baseball is expensive, so I prefer to spend what expendable income I do have on Sox games. I'm a White Sox fan and I do like the Cell experience more than the Wrigley experience. However, I don't mind going to games at Wrigley at all. The whole stereotype is WAY overblown. It's a ballpark and professional ballplayers play baseball there. I will admit that the bleachers seem a little out of control. I sat out there once and I don't care to sit there ever again. But other than that, I've had a fine experience every time I've been there.

I know I'm in the minority. But no matter how you try to justify it, I think the whole Sox/Cubs, Cell/Wrigley rivalry is simpleton garbage. I like baseball. I root for the White Sox, have my whole life. In the N.L. I sort of fancy the Marlins. The rest of the teams - I don't like or dislike any more than the other, and that includes the Cubs. I enjoy the game itself, and while my first choice is to cheer on my Sox at the Cell, I'm happy to watch any team play in any ballpark. Beats being at work.

IlliniSox4Life
04-22-2010, 04:04 PM
I go if I get free tickets, which usually happens once or twice a year. It's still baseball. Going next Wednesday actually.

MARTINMVP
04-30-2010, 12:13 AM
I was there today going with a friend of mine who is a Cubs fan; he had the extra ticket and I took the bait and went. Bleacher seats, a nice day out, so why not? My first time in the bleachers was at the end of the year last year, so they were half empty... not the "full" experience.

The stereotypes are all true. I hate to say it. This was frat house city. On the L there, a girl was talking about how she only dates Cub fans... and if the guy is cute and he is not a Cub fan, but a Red Sox fan, then that is ok. The other person said "gotta love the Red Sox... they are the AL Cubbies!" At the game, the person next to me (nice person by the way, but still...) mumbled how they would not be able to sing today (the "Go Cubs Go" song at the end of the game) after it was obvious that the Cubs were not going to come back. In the 7th, after the inning ended (where 7 runs was scored by the D'Backs), I heard a "this game is miserable but at least we are having a good time here!" I sat there stunned as everyone was still able to proudly sing the 7th inning stretch. People then started leaving immediately after and I heard the "which bar are we going to" type of crap.

I don't condemn any of what took place. If that's what people like, then fine. The bleacher folks don't necessarily represent all Cub fans, but the stereotypes are indeed true of a lot of them. If I ever go again, it won't be in that section.

In another side nugget, there were two people there in Cubs-Curse shirts who were Sox fans (people were heckling them the entire time after they admitted to being Sox fans). I didn't tell anyone there I was a Sox fan... I dressed neutral. Didn't cheer for the other team, but didn't get excited for any good part for the Cubs. The two others who were Sox fans were not there with anyone who were Cub fans, so I don't exactly understand why the hell they were there. They were both adults and they were blatantly cheering for the other team (not being loud or obnoxious) - but I kept wondering, why are they were, especially when the Sox were on TV at the same time. At least my reasoning for being there was going with a buddy who didn't want to go alone.

C-Dawg
04-30-2010, 07:30 AM
The other person said "gotta love the Red Sox... they are the AL Cubbies!"

LOL I wonder if anyone in Boston refers to the Cubs as "the NL Red Sox"?

Thome_Fan
04-30-2010, 10:55 AM

Agreed. Besides it being part of baseball, I'm fascinated by the architecture. I love all the different approaches to the same type of building.

Shoeless
04-30-2010, 10:58 AM
More like "the NL 2009 Indians"

NorthSideSox72
04-30-2010, 01:16 PM
I was there today going with a friend of mine who is a Cubs fan; he had the extra ticket and I took the bait and went. Bleacher seats, a nice day out, so why not? My first time in the bleachers was at the end of the year last year, so they were half empty... not the "full" experience.

The stereotypes are all true. I hate to say it. This was frat house city. On the L there, a girl was talking about how she only dates Cub fans... and if the guy is cute and he is not a Cub fan, but a Red Sox fan, then that is ok. The other person said "gotta love the Red Sox... they are the AL Cubbies!" At the game, the person next to me (nice person by the way, but still...) mumbled how they would not be able to sing today (the "Go Cubs Go" song at the end of the game) after it was obvious that the Cubs were not going to come back. In the 7th, after the inning ended (where 7 runs was scored by the D'Backs), I heard a "this game is miserable but at least we are having a good time here!" I sat there stunned as everyone was still able to proudly sing the 7th inning stretch. People then started leaving immediately after and I heard the "which bar are we going to" type of crap.

I don't condemn any of what took place. If that's what people like, then fine. The bleacher folks don't necessarily represent all Cub fans, but the stereotypes are indeed true of a lot of them. If I ever go again, it won't be in that section.

In another side nugget, there were two people there in Cubs-Curse shirts who were Sox fans (people were heckling them the entire time after they admitted to being Sox fans). I didn't tell anyone there I was a Sox fan... I dressed neutral. Didn't cheer for the other team, but didn't get excited for any good part for the Cubs. The two others who were Sox fans were not there with anyone who were Cub fans, so I don't exactly understand why the hell they were there. They were both adults and they were blatantly cheering for the other team (not being loud or obnoxious) - but I kept wondering, why are they were, especially when the Sox were on TV at the same time. At least my reasoning for being there was going with a buddy who didn't want to go alone.

I think the bleachers are definitely a different experience than the rest of the park. There, the stereotypes hold largely true. Elsewhere in the park, in my experience, not as much so.

kittle42
04-30-2010, 01:18 PM
I think the bleachers are definitely a different experience than the rest of the park. There, the stereotypes hold largely true. Elsewhere in the park, in my experience, not as much so.

Pretty accurate.

SephClone89
04-30-2010, 01:27 PM
I haven't been to Wrigley in ages. I saw a game there in '99, and one in '04. The latter was a Cubs/Sox game, and I don't really remember much about that one either.

While Cubs fans annoy the hell out of me, I would probably be interested in going sometime. Maybe to see the Phillies or Mets or Dodgers or Giants. While I am not a fan of the cult of Wrigley, I do love baseball history, and I suppose I should someday try to objectively take in the atmosphere of the old park.

Nellie_Fox
04-30-2010, 02:15 PM
I should someday try to objectively take in the atmosphere of the old park.Smell that? That urine smell? That's atmosphere!

kittle42
04-30-2010, 05:19 PM
Smell that? That urine smell? That's atmosphere!

They cleaned up the restrooms this year, but I think the stench of the fans peeing outside the restrooms remains.

LongLiveFisk
05-01-2010, 01:02 AM

I doubt it. The Red Sox have two championships in recent years. I doubt they feel any need to associate themselves with a losing ballclub from another city.

DSpivack
05-01-2010, 03:51 AM
I doubt it. The Red Sox have two championships in recent years. I doubt they feel any need to associate themselves with a losing ballclub from another city.

This is true. No one can live up to the aura of Fenway and the passion of Red Sawx fans!

C-Dawg
05-01-2010, 09:10 AM

My point exactly! :gulp:

All the "Cub-Red Sox love" that magically appeared after 2004 was strictly one-way. Red Sox fans didn't return the love.

SephClone89
05-01-2010, 10:09 AM

All the "Cub-Red Sox love" that magically appeared after 2004 was strictly one-way. Red Sox fans didn't return the love.

It makes as much sense for them to think of us as the AL Cubs, honestly...

Foulke You
05-02-2010, 12:54 PM

This is very true. I've been to Boston many times and Red Sox fans don't even think about the Cubs. It's a joke. I've never understood the fake kinship Cubs fans feel towards the Red Sox. It's a completely one way love affair.

BadBobbyJenks
05-02-2010, 03:01 PM
Friend of mine had free tickets yesterday.

We all looked at each other in about the 6th inning and asked if anyone knew the score. Nobody knew, its contagious.

We left in the 8th inning and walked to the bar. :gulp:

SephClone89
05-07-2010, 01:27 AM
I'm considering going later this year to see Lincecum pitch for the Giants.

Will make sure to steer clear of the bleachers.

soxfanreggie
05-08-2010, 03:09 PM
I love baseball and have no problem rooting against the Cubs when I see them play. I'll watch Cubs games with my Grandma, but she knows I will root for their opponent. I'll also go to a game if some buddies are going - always free tickets for me.

samurai_sox
05-08-2010, 06:18 PM
If I were to come across some free tickets to Wrigley I would consider......

to sell them immediately.

cws05champ
05-16-2010, 05:14 PM
I'm considering going later this year to see Lincecum pitch for the Giants.

Will make sure to steer clear of the bleachers.

Good thing to keep in mind...read this blog.

http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2010/5/13/1470313/the-wrigley-field-bleachers-are