PDA

View Full Version : MLB TV-Phone Question

Hegewisch
04-11-2010, 11:18 PM
I am in hope I could get some advice. I was at our cottage in Michigan today and, could hear some of the game on a scratchy AM 670. I am considering getting MLB TV on my iPhone to watch games. Since I am not "Tech" savy, I was wondering the following:

1. Can I really watch Sox games on my iPhone ? (like when they are not on tv, or I am not home can I actually watch a game?)

2. Is it worth it ?

3. Which is the right one to sign up for ? (I already get text updates).

Thanks.......:scratch:

DSpivack
04-11-2010, 11:23 PM
No, you'll be blacked out from Sox games, as you would be watching MLB.tv on the computer, assuming you're in the Chicago area.

The app is $14.99, but you need an MLB.tv subscription to watch the games, so it's not an either/or.

I must say I am pleasantly surprised with the quality of the games on the app, although I only have an iPod touch and only have thus far watched games at home connected to my WiFi; trying to watch on AT&T's network would be a completely different matter.

EDIT: Didn't see the Michigan comment. I'm not exactly sure, but I think it works on IP address. Do you have WiFi at your place in Michigan? If so, have you tried watching MLB.tv there before on a computer?

russ99
04-12-2010, 12:08 AM
I am in hope I could get some advice. I was at our cottage in Michigan today and, could hear some of the game on a scratchy AM 670. I am considering getting MLB TV on my iPhone to watch games. Since I am not "Tech" savy, I was wondering the following:

1. Can I really watch Sox games on my iPhone ? (like when they are not on tv, or I am not home can I actually watch a game?)

2. Is it worth it ?

3. Which is the right one to sign up for ? (I already get text updates).

Thanks.......:scratch:

1. As the other poster said, live Sox games are blacked out. Cubs too. Also the Sunday night ESPN and national Fox games are blacked out.

MLB needs to put a stop to this. They're getting cash from our subscriptions, advertisers and broadcast/cable networks, so why have a blackout? Get with the times...

Depending on where you are in Michigan you might get coverage, the iPhone uses GPS to check where you are. I'd check out the MLB blackout map to see where the Sox blackout territory ends.

Condensed games (cutting out balls and strikes, unless it's strike 3 or ball 4) for the Sox are usually available the next morning, so you can still watch on the phone. I like these since I can watch a whole game in around 10 minutes.

2. Yes, totally worth it if you like watching baseball and/or have a second favorite team. The option to watch any (non-blackout) game live on your phone is awesome. Especially useful if you play in Fantasy leagues. For just watching Sox games, it's probably not worth it.

3. I got the higher level subscription, for the DVR controls, the choice to pick home or away game feeds and the full game replays.

HD quality video, full replays and some of the more advanced playback controls are on the computer only, and not available on the iPhone. And yes you have to pay extra for the iPhone app, which they really should give you with a higher subscription level...

Connection speed/quality: Obviously Wifi is best, but I still get decent quality video on the 3G connection. Things tend to get a bit iffy if you are in areas with less than 4 bars, but still watchable with a few artifacts.

The other difference this year is they cut out the video feed's commercials. Kind of miss that, not those annoying Cincinnati chili joint ads so much...

Nellie_Fox
04-12-2010, 12:18 AM
MLB needs to put a stop to this. They're getting cash from our subscriptions, advertisers and broadcast/cable networks, so why have a blackout? Because if the local TV stations don't have exclusive rights to the game in their market area, they won't pay the big rights fees. Pretty simple concept.

maristsox
04-12-2010, 12:36 AM
I cant get AM in my building at work. Do the black out restrictions apply for listening to the games via the iphone app?

Jurr
04-12-2010, 06:49 AM
There are no blackout restrictions for gameday audio. The video is all that's affected. There was nothing better than watching yesterday's game while walking through Macy's while my fiancée registered for plates!!!

Hegewisch
04-12-2010, 08:00 AM
Thanks. So, I guess I am still unsure. But, I guess for $14.95 it wouldn't hurt. Especially if I can get at least audio of every game. And, watch game if not in Chitown. So, what app do I choose as I am a little confused. Do I just go with iPhone at bat app ?

asindc
04-12-2010, 08:31 AM
Thanks. So, I guess I am still unsure. But, I guess for $14.95 it wouldn't hurt. Especially if I can get at least audio of every game. And, watch game if not in Chitown. So, what app do I choose as I am a little confused. Do I just go with iPhone at bat app ?

If you search "At Bat 2010", it should be the first option to come up in the App Store search results. That is $14.99. That will give you audio and other features, but not video. If you want to watch games, then you have to buy the additional MLB.tv subscription, which costs either an additional $100 or $120, depending on the level of service you get. Either level will allow you to watch non-blackout MLB games on your computer and iPhone/iTouch.

asindc
04-12-2010, 08:32 AM
1. As the other poster said, live Sox games are blacked out. Cubs too. Also the Sunday night ESPN and national Fox games are blacked out.

MLB needs to put a stop to this. They're getting cash from our subscriptions, advertisers and broadcast/cable networks, so why have a blackout? Get with the times...

Depending on where you are in Michigan you might get coverage, the iPhone uses GPS to check where you are. I'd check out the MLB blackout map to see where the Sox blackout territory ends.

Condensed games (cutting out balls and strikes, unless it's strike 3 or ball 4) for the Sox are usually available the next morning, so you can still watch on the phone. I like these since I can watch a whole game in around 10 minutes.

2. Yes, totally worth it if you like watching baseball and/or have a second favorite team. The option to watch any (non-blackout) game live on your phone is awesome. Especially useful if you play in Fantasy leagues. For just watching Sox games, it's probably not worth it.

3. I got the higher level subscription, for the DVR controls, the choice to pick home or away game feeds and the full game replays.

HD quality video, full replays and some of the more advanced playback controls are on the computer only, and not available on the iPhone. And yes you have to pay extra for the iPhone app, which they really should give you with a higher subscription level...

Connection speed/quality: Obviously Wifi is best, but I still get decent quality video on the 3G connection. Things tend to get a bit iffy if you are in areas with less than 4 bars, but still watchable with a few artifacts.

The other difference this year is they cut out the video feed's commercials. Kind of miss that, not those annoying Cincinnati chili joint ads so much...

The second bolded statement is the answer to the first bolded statement.

gregoriop
04-12-2010, 08:34 AM
You can get around the blackout restriction by logging in through a proxy. It only checks where you are on login, so after you are logged in you can turn the proxy off.

Hegewisch
04-12-2010, 10:40 AM
I might just try the AM 670 App and listen to games for free ?

FoulTerritory
04-12-2010, 10:48 AM
I might just try the AM 670 App and listen to games for free ?

I have 670 on my CBS/AOL radio app, and the station goes to infomercial or other programming when a Sox game starts.

Hegewisch
04-12-2010, 10:51 AM
I have 670 on my CBS/AOL radio app, and the station goes to infomercial or other programming when a Sox game starts.

That is nuts. Whats the problem ?

SephClone89
04-12-2010, 10:59 AM

It's a rights issue. A live stream of a radio station cannot contain a live major league game. Try going to the 670 website tonight and listening to the game. It's been this way for ages.

beasly213
04-12-2010, 11:00 AM

Because in order to listen online you need an mlb.com radio subscription.

Illini Stripes
04-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Sirus Satellite Radio might be another option for you.

Hegewisch
04-12-2010, 11:04 AM

They have all "the bases covered !!!":rolleyes::(:

russ99
04-12-2010, 02:43 PM
The second bolded statement is the answer to the first bolded statement.

Then play the ads. I don't really mind if I can see Sox games live...

johnnyg83
04-12-2010, 03:05 PM
I love MLB.tv ... ideal for out of town viewing and to watch older games.

vinny
04-12-2010, 10:01 PM
In theory. But there are at least three stations I've found so far that don't preempt their live feed of Sox games online. I listened to the game tonight.

Hegewisch
04-14-2010, 10:32 PM
I have not made a decision yet. However, for the $3.99 a month I get HR updates and a video of the HR.