PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Jones-ing For A Win 4/11 Postgame Thread

Sockinchisox
04-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Homers and clutch hits!

soxinem1
04-11-2010, 03:21 PM
2-out RBI............YES!!!!

I say put Jones in the lineup and leave him there for at least 20 games and see what he does.

Good to see some hard-hit balls today off of two guys who have owned us.

soxnut1018
04-11-2010, 03:22 PM
What the **** were they thinking!?!
:bandance::bandance::bandance:
:bliss::bliss::bliss:
kM7C_yNlCLU

Nelfox02
04-11-2010, 03:22 PM
I ve been hard on these player/organization the last couple days---but this was nice started out rough---but you knew Mark would battle again some offensive issues but nice to see the HR stroke and Jones with a big hit did not think we could score Quentin on that but it worked out for a change solid D today

Crazy finish!!!! At the plate!!!!!!

Nice game---find a way to at least split in Toronto please

BRDSR
04-11-2010, 03:23 PM
I love to see Thome succeed and the Twins fail...no matter what team Thome's on! Refreshing to see some solid execution on that last play.

KnightSox
Mark did not have his location today, but he gutted it out. Great win!

Bucky F. Dent
Player of the game, Juan Pierre's Arm! :D:

SoxGirl4Life
Feels sooooooo good to win. Mercy! We needed that one!

asindc
04-11-2010, 03:24 PM
But, but, I thought Pierre couldn't play LF any better than Pods...

thomas35forever
I love to see Thome succeed and the Twins fail...no matter what team Thome's on! Refreshing to see some solid execution on that last play.
Didn't think we'd get the best of both worlds on the same play. I love baseball! Now on pace to win 54 games!

soxinem1
Player of the game, Juan Pierre's Arm! :D:

We've seen him hit into his first DP in three years, now we might have seen him get his only assist of the year!!!:smile:

voodoochile
:soxwin:

I cannot believe they sent the runner. I mean he was just rounding third when Alexei got the ball. One thing to test a LF arm, but to test a SS from just past the IF dirt? :scratch:

We take it...

Got some hits, got some runs, got a W. A big fat W!

:)

October26
Wow - what a game and what an ending. Sox win! Sox win! YES! :)

Marqhead
04-11-2010, 03:25 PM
96 on the gun for Jenks. Great defensive play by Pierre to get it to the relay man, no chance for Hardy at the plate.

Gutsy performance for Buehrle today giving the pen some much needed rest. Let's turn this into something positive in Toronto!

Corlose 15
04-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Not a bad day for Jonesay.

I agree though, time to see what Jones can do. At DH.

Soxster67
04-11-2010, 03:26 PM

I wasn't able to watch any of the games against the Twins. What kind of reception did Thome get?

DirtySox
04-11-2010, 03:27 PM
Good to see Jenks with velocity around 96. I'd also like to see Andruw given more AB's instead of Kotsay.

asindc
What the **** were they thinking!?!
:bandance::bandance::bandance:
:bliss::bliss::bliss:
kM7C_yNlCLU

They probably had been reading WSI comments about Pierre's defense.:tongue:

Frontman
A much needed win; and a team win.

And I blame ChiSoxGirl. Had she stayed in town; the Sox would of won the past 4 games.....

SI1020
Player of the game, Juan Pierre's Arm! :D: How dare they test his mighty arm!

manders_01
04-11-2010, 03:28 PM
That win felt great! Certainly what we needed. And I think overall, the guys looked good out there. Let's keep it up! :bandance:

Frontman
I wasn't able to watch any of the games against the Twins. What kind of reception did Thome get?

His first at bat he got a standing O. He's gotten a polite reception here in Chicago; something he deserved when returning to Cleveland......

Boondock Saint
What a clutch AB from Jones. This team needs a lot more of that.

The Pierre cannon cannot be trifled with. :redneck

RedHeadPaleHoser
FINALLY.

Too much long ball, but it helps get the W. I hope we get our heads (and bats) out of our asses and off our shoulders and start hitting. It's never to early to start winning.

Frater Perdurabo
04-11-2010, 03:30 PM
It's about damn time.

Now, let's hope Peavy can shut down the Jays and the Sox can score enough runs to give him a win.

ChiSoxGirl
A much needed win; and a team win.

And I blame ChiSoxGirl. Had she stayed in town; the Sox would of won the past 4 games.....

My plane landed at O'Hare two minutes before first pitch. Need I say more?! :wink:

BoysMom3
That felt awesome! We so needed that win today!!!! I can't get over them sending him home. No chance at all - I'll take it - nice!!!

october23sp
Finally.

BadBobbyJenks
Nice effort J.J Hardy.

Buehrle with a huge outing today, our pen needed all 8 of those innings.

Does Bobby look slim or what. 96 was good to see.

chisox616
04-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Fantastic ending and I want to say way more of Jones, but hey, both members of the DH duo helped us out today I guess. Also PIERRE AND HIS GUN WOOO!

BTW I think it's pretty interesting how Columbia College in Missouri is getting all this ad time. Pretty funny, it's about 10 minutes away from me where I am, and ...I can't really imagine why it's getting ad time on WGN, for a Sox game? Whatever.

Soxgirl22
No idea why they sent that runner home, but hey, I'll certainly take it!

And, Buehrle squeezes out another win!! :D: Good day.

Soxman219
2-4 looks better than 1-5!:bandance:

BoysMom3
My plane landed at O'Hare two minutes before first pitch. Need I say more?! :wink:

Ahahahaha. I love it!! Where were ya? Anywhere exciting? We just got in from a beautiful trip to Jamaica.

Frankfan4life
Thanks Andruw for the CLUTCH hit. :bandance: Bobby, please practice the 1-2-3 inning and thanks Twinkies for making yourselves look like boneheads on that last play.

soltrain21
Sox win, awesome! Now let's string some wins together.

DaveFeelsRight
blow up this team, the season is over, blah blah blah.

/majority of the people here.

anyways, i don't know if it was hardy's choice or the twins 3rd base coach's choice but, that was a awful decision to go home on that. the ball was already in alexei's hands haha.

asindc

You are not allowed to go out of town until after the season.:smile:

VMSNS
04-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Nice to finally win one. Jones had a great at bat. Buehrle looked good even after getting roughed up early. Great to see Jenks hitting 96 on the gun. And, a nice throw by Pierre. :D:

Still, would like to be able to score more without the HR. Peavy needs to bring it tomorrow in Toronto.

SoxGirl4Life
I love AJ on that final play waiting at home plate with the ball.... "C'mon punk!"

SI1020
My plane landed at O'Hare two minutes before first pitch. Need I say more?! :wink: Don't take a summer vacation. :D:

Foulke You
04-11-2010, 03:33 PM
Too much long ball.
I was happy to see runs of any kind. I don't care how we do it. Mercy, what a ballgame. Nice recovery by the Sox and Buehrle after a shaky start. Jenks had good stuff today too but he really pitched to Thome's strengths in that AB by going lower in the zone. Oh well, a win is a win! It feels good. :gulp:

Can we find a way to win a series in Toronto for a change?

SoxGirl4Life
04-11-2010, 03:33 PM

Why is that in teal? If she's good luck, she's gotta stay put!

october23sp
04-11-2010, 03:34 PM

anyways, i don't know if it was hardy's choice or the twins 3rd base coach's choice but, that was a awful decision to go home on that. the ball was already in alexei's hands haha.

We're 2-4. We still aren't a good enough team to make fun of people who look at this bad start and freak out. Like me.

Cat Thief
What was up with the 3rd base coach jumping out to the 3rd base position on the last play?

Much needed win!

:gulp:

Over By There
Maybe a little lucky with them sending Hardy, but hey, we needed this. There were some nice flashes with the lumber today. Now let's get a little winning streak going behind Peavy. :cool:

thomas35forever
04-11-2010, 03:35 PM
We're 2-4. We still aren't a good enough team to make fun of people who look at this bad start and freak out. Like me.
How about the Astros, who are 0-6 to start?

Anyone else notice the small number of people in today's game thread? I propose we limit the number of users in the game thread at a time in order to improve the club and our health.:cool:

october23sp
04-11-2010, 03:37 PM

Anyone else notice the small number of people in today's game thread? I propose we limit the number of users in the game thread at a time in order to improve the club and our health.:cool:

I didn't WSI it up today, I was playing MLB 10 the Show, I just watched the last inning. I should do that the rest of the season.

ChiSoxGirl
04-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Ahahahaha. I love it!! Where were ya? Anywhere exciting? We just got in from a beautiful trip to Jamaica.

Myrtle Beach. The weather was fabulous and I became one with the sun when I was there. :cool:

You are not the first person to tell me this.

Don't take a summer vacation. :D:

Too late. My Goddaughter is graduating 8th grade in mid-June, and I already have my plane ticket to San Diego. I'll be gone June 16-26, so brace yourselves, kids! :wink:

SoxGirl4Life
04-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Myrtle Beach. The weather was fabulous and I became one with the sun when I was there. :cool:

You are not the first person to tell me this.

Too late. My Goddaughter is graduating 8th grade in mid-June, and I already have my plane ticket to San Diego. I'll be gone June 16-26, so brace yourselves, kids! :wink:

10 days? couldn't this be planned during the all star break? lol

badgerboy1848
04-11-2010, 03:39 PM
Ya know the last couple games sucked but they certainly dident get their ass kicked. a few hits here and there, and we would have swept this series.

esbrechtel
04-11-2010, 03:40 PM
sox win, awesome! Now let's string some wins together.

+1

Soxfanspcu11

He got a GREAT reception and he even tipped his helmet to the crowd, it was AWESOME! :bandance:

Once again proving the difference between Chicago and Cleveland (as if we needed any more evidence).

Great game! These are the types of games that pump teams up and typically start them off on a winning streak! FINGERS CROSSED! :D:

SoxGirl4Life
Ya know the last couple games sucked but they certainly dident get their ass kicked. a few hits here and there, and we would have swept this series.

They haven't gotten their ass kicked in any of the games. Its that good pitching, non existent hitting that may just drive us crazy this year.

FielderJones

My message to all WSIers on the ledge:

Jump! Jump! Jump!

But leave me your season tickets first. :wink:

ChiSoxGirl
04-11-2010, 03:46 PM
10 days? couldn't this be planned during the all star break? lol

Graduation can't be moved. :tongue:

HangWiffum
04-11-2010, 03:50 PM
What was up with the 3rd base coach jumping out to the 3rd base position on the last play?

Much needed win!

:gulp:

i noticed that right away as well. i had the game dvr'd and he jumped ON THE FIELD OF PLAY trying to dupe the relay man into thinking the baserunner stopped at third. this kind of thing has to be illegal. just another reason to hate those ****ers

soxnut1018
04-11-2010, 03:50 PM
How'd the Twins do? (http://www.didthetwinswin.com/)

thomas35forever
04-11-2010, 03:53 PM
How'd the Twins do? (http://www.didthetwinswin.com/)
:twinslose

cheezheadsoxfan
04-11-2010, 03:54 PM
My mood has swung up and will stay there at least until tomorrow's game.:smile:

Let's change the karma in Toronto, I'm getting tired of that act too.

asindc
04-11-2010, 03:54 PM
i noticed that right away as well. i had the game dvr'd and he jumped ON THE FIELD OF PLAY trying to dupe the relay man into thinking the baserunner stopped at third. this kind of thing has to be illegal. just another reason to hate those ****ers

Even if that was what he was trying to do, there was very little chance of it working, since Pierre had already hit Alexei with the throw and all Alexei had to do was turn around and see where Hardy was. Besides, I'm sure Bobby and Teahen were yelling home! on the play anyway. Just stupid baserunning/coaching, depending on who made the call.

TDog
04-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Not a bad day for Jonesay.

I agree though, time to see what Jones can do. At DH.

Or maybe see what he can do in right field and DH Quentin. But Jones wasn't the only DH who drove in a run today. It actually worked out the way Guillen would have hoped when he drew up the lineup. Kotsay homered off the right hander with two outs after Konerko hit into a doubleplay earlier. In the eighth inning, after Pierre and Beckham went down easily, Quentin and Konerko got hits and Gardenhire goes to the bullpen for the situational lefty. Guillen responds by bringing in Jones, who gets the hit to drive in the go ahead run. No way that pitching matchup develops if Jones had been the starting DH. Sadly, the situational lefty wasn't going to face Rios. He only faced Jones because the rules required him to. Gardenhire brought in the right-hander to get him out.

Gardenhire didn't have any choice in who to bring in because Blackburn was obviously tiring. He wasn't going to stay in after giving up two hits to someone who had homered off of him earlier. And with Kotsay due up, he wasn't going to bring in the right-hander.

If Guillen outmanaged Gardenhire today, and he seems to have done so, it wasn't just in the eighth inning. What happened in the eighth inning was set up by putting Kotsay fifth on the lineup card.

I like the fact that Buehrle pitched eight, despite being over the arbitrary 100-pitch mark after seven. I didn't see the game thread, but some people probably thought it was done to give Buehrle a chance for the win. Rather, I think it was done to save the bullpen in what could have been another extra-inning game. Buehrle wasn't great today, but great pitchers can win games by going deep when they don't pitch quality starts.

Ideally Jenks should have retired Thome. You knew if someone got on base, he would hit for Harris (I wonder if Twins fans are complaining about Harris DHing). The third base coach or the runner must have assumed they could run all the way home on Pierre, apparently despite evidence to the contrary.

Now the Sox have to figure out how to win when Buehrle isn't pitching.

Danielgosox38
04-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Great win by the good guys! Let's keep this going!

Rikirk
04-11-2010, 04:03 PM
Nice way to win a game...good job gang.

doublem23
04-11-2010, 04:08 PM
:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Let's hope this springboards us on a nice little win streak.

asindc
04-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Or maybe see what he can do in right field and DH Quentin. But Jones wasn't the only DH who drove in a run today. It actually worked out the way Guillen would have hoped when he drew up the lineup. Kotsay homered off the right hander with two outs after Konerko hit into a doubleplay earlier. In the eighth inning, after Pierre and Beckham went down easily, Quentin and Konerko got hits and Gardenhire goes to the bullpen for the situational lefty. Guillen responds by bringing in Jones, who gets the hit to drive in the go ahead run. No way that pitching matchup develops if Jones had been the starting DH. Sadly, the situational lefty wasn't going to face Rios. He only faced Jones because the rules required him to. Gardenhire brought in the right-hander to get him out.

Gardenhire didn't have any choice in who to bring in because Blackburn was obviously tiring. He wasn't going to stay in after giving up two hits to someone who had homered off of him earlier. And with Kotsay due up, he wasn't going to bring in the right-hander.

If Guillen outmanaged Gardenhire today, and he seems to have done so, it wasn't just in the eighth inning. What happened in the eighth inning was set up by putting Kotsay fifth on the lineup card.

I like the fact that Buehrle pitched eight, despite being over the arbitrary 100-pitch mark after seven. I didn't see the game thread, but some people probably thought it was done to give Buehrle a chance for the win. Rather, I think it was done to save the bullpen in what could have been another extra-inning game. Buehrle wasn't great today, but great pitchers can win games by going deep when they don't pitch quality starts.

Ideally Jenks should have retired Thome. You knew if someone got on base, he would hit for Harris (I wonder if Twins fans are complaining about Harris DHing). The third base coach or the runner must have assumed they could run all the way home on Pierre, apparently despite evidence to the contrary.

Good analysis.

Frontman
04-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Well said, TDog. The game was played by the 12 players Ozzie used; and that's how its supposed to be done.

soxinem1
04-11-2010, 04:15 PM

I wonder why pitching six innings and giving up three runs or less is considered a quality start, but pitching eight innings and giving up four runs or less is not?:scratch::?:

voodoochile
04-11-2010, 04:18 PM

Buehrle wasn't great early, but he allowed only 1 hit and no walks over the final 5 innings and as you mentioned saved the bullpen when it desperately needed some time off. Was a heck of a performance for BurlyMon especially given his early inning woes.

Question I've always wondered about. I thought a reliever brought technically has to pitch to one batter, but couldn't that be simply throwing one pitch and then bringing in another reliever? Obviously you could burn through a bench and a bullpen really quickly doing things like that, but I'm surprised more teams don't do it occasionally at least...

asindc
04-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Buehrle wasn't great early, but he allowed only 1 hit and no walks over the final 5 innings and as you mentioned saved the bullpen when it desperately needed some time off. Was a heck of a performance for BurlyMon especially given his early inning woes.

Question I've always wondered about. I thought a reliever brought technically has to pitch to one batter, but couldn't that be simply throwing one pitch and then bringing in another reliever? Obviously you could burn through a bench and a bullpen really quickly doing things like that, but I'm surprised more teams don't do it occasionally at least...

Not sure, but I think once a pitcher begins pitching to a batter, he must continue through that AB unless he gets injured. Same thing with a batter. In fact, I don't know if a switch-hitter is allowed to switch sides within an AB.

longshot7
04-11-2010, 04:23 PM

Let's figure out a way to see some Padre games while you're down here!

voodoochile
04-11-2010, 04:26 PM
Not sure, but I think once a pitcher begins pitching to a batter, he must continue through that AB unless he gets injured. Same thing with a batter. In fact, I don't know if a switch-hitter is allowed to switch sides within an AB.

I've seen pitcher's pulled midway through at-bats before when no injury occurred and I'm pretty sure I remember Crazy Carl switching sides in the middle of an at bat before, but maybe I'm nuts.

LongLiveFisk
04-11-2010, 04:27 PM
Great win, Sox!

Now everyone, back away from the ledge.

TDog
04-11-2010, 04:29 PM

A batter can be replaced at any time. A hitter can switch sides during an at bat, even if there is no pitching change. A pitcher must pitch to his first hitter until the hitter reaches first, is retired or the inning ends (see Dean Stone, 1954 All-Star Game). There is an injury exception, just as there is an injury exception for a player touching first before coming out for a pinch runner if he is hit by a pitch.

The rules specify who is charged with strikeouts and walks that involve two pitchers, making it clear a pitcher can be removed before an at bat is complete. For example, a pitcher who leaves with no one on base and a 2-0 count on the hitter would be charge with the run if he is replaced by a pitcher who waks him and that hitter comes around to score.

I don't know what the logic behind the rule reuiring a pitcher to face at least one hitter or end the inning. But the effect is to limit the defense to one pitching move at a time, which makes for a better game.

GoGoCrede
04-11-2010, 04:35 PM
Just got home! God, was this game a nice refreshing change. Early on I could see that Buehrle didn't have his best stuff, so it was wonderful to see the offense back up a pitcher for once. Imagine if they'd done that all week. Kotsay actually getting a homer was a nice surprise.

Great call putting Jones in there. I now love him. Initially, I was sure the Twins were going to tie it in the 9th, and I wasn't able to see the tag very clearly (I'm too short, guy in front of me was too tall) but the cheers spoke for themselves.

Not much else to say - I was freezing in my section (116). It definitely wasn't all that warm today.

Let's keep this hitting thing going - I hear it helps win ballgames. :smile:

Lip Man 1
04-11-2010, 04:36 PM
TDog:

Not sure I understand you because I've seen pitchers replaced in the middle of a count on a hitter (say 2-0) without an injury and a relief pitcher winds up walking the guy.

The walk is charged to the pitcher who began the count by the way but my point is that pitchers can be changed in the middle of an at bat.

----------------------

Regarding the game itself...the way they've been playing you take anything you can get when you get it. Nice to see some offense today (granted the majority of it was home runs...)

Maybe this takes the "pressure" that apparently the players have been feeling (:rolleyes:) off and like double said, they can build something from this.

With the demolition of the Metrodome, the Skydome is now the #1 Sox House of Horrors (with Boston, Texas and Oakland not so far behind...)

Lip

SoxGirl4Life
04-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Just got home! God, was this game a nice refreshing change. Early on I could see that Buehrle didn't have his best stuff, so it was wonderful to see the offense back up a pitcher for once. Imagine if they'd done that all week. Kotsay actually getting a homer was a nice surprise.

Great call putting Jones in there. I now love him. Initially, I was sure the Twins were going to tie it in the 9th, and I wasn't able to see the tag very clearly (I'm too short, guy in front of me was too tall) but the cheers spoke for themselves.

Not much else to say - I was freezing in my section (116). It definitely wasn't all that warm today.

Glad they sent you off with a win! You deserve it for making it to almost every game this week! Kudos!

voodoochile
04-11-2010, 04:40 PM
TDog:

Not sure I understand you because I've seen pitchers replaced in the middle of a count on a hitter (say 2-0) without an injury and a relief pitcher winds up walking the guy.

The walk is charged to the pitcher who began the count by the way but my point is that pitchers can be changed in the middle of an at bat.

I wrote something similar above and recall seeing this stuff too, but now wonder if it's because those pitchers have already faced at least one other batter and thus can be pulled at any time. I can't recall ever seeing a pitcher pulled midway through their first batter. That would mesh with what TDog says the rule is.

GoGoCrede
04-11-2010, 04:40 PM
Glad they sent you off with a win! You deserve it for making it to almost every game this week! Kudos!

*takes a bow* My poor wallet! :smile: It was worth it. See you next homestand, boys!

Clutch two out hits - just what I wanted for my birthday tomorrow!

DSpivack
04-11-2010, 04:41 PM

I was down the 3B line (151), I kept taking on and off my fleece, as when the sun was out it felt warm.

What a refreshing change from wednesday's game, in the performance, the crowd, and the weather.

GoGoCrede
04-11-2010, 04:42 PM
I was down the 3B line (151), I kept taking on and off my fleece, as when the sun was out it felt warm.

What a refreshing change from wednesday's game, in the performance, the crowd, and the weather.

I tried walking around the concourse to get warm, but I couldn't stop shivering. Of course, that was probably because my dumb ass wore flip flops. If not for those, I would have been fine.

SoxGirl4Life
04-11-2010, 04:42 PM
*takes a bow* My poor wallet! :smile: It was worth it. See you next homestand, boys!

Clutch two out hits - just what I wanted for my birthday tomorrow!

Happy early Birthday!

Madvora
04-11-2010, 04:43 PM
People calling for all Jones and no Kotsay seem to have forgotten that Kotsay hit a home run today.

jabrch
04-11-2010, 04:43 PM
I tried walking around the concourse to get warm, but I couldn't stop shivering. Of course, that was probably because my dumb ass wore flip flops. If not for those, I would have been fine.

Next time, try putting flip flops on your feet. They work better.

TDog
04-11-2010, 04:44 PM
TDog:

Not sure I understand you because I've seen pitchers replaced in the middle of a count on a hitter (say 2-0) without an injury and a relief pitcher winds up walking the guy. ...

I was clarifying my point while you were writing your post expressing your confusion.

I have forgotten his name, but there was a pitcher who watched his first major-league strikeout from the bench. He was replaced with a 3-2 count on the hitter. When the reliever struck him out, the strikeout was credited to this rookie.

I'm guessing it wasn't Nolan Ryan.

GoGoCrede
04-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Happy early Birthday!

Thanks. :smile:

Next time, try putting flip flops on your feet. They work better.

They were actually worn on my hands, to warm them up.

soxinem1
04-11-2010, 04:58 PM
I've seen pitcher's pulled midway through at-bats before when no injury occurred and I'm pretty sure I remember Crazy Carl switching sides in the middle of an at bat before, but maybe I'm nuts.

I believe a pitcher has to throw one pitch, and a hitter can switch sides if he has less than two strikes on him.

I remember Jesus Pena getting a one-pitch/save K against the cubs back in 2000, and I also seem to remember Crazy Carl switching sides of the plate during an at-bat.

TDog
04-11-2010, 05:03 PM
I believe a pitcher has to throw one pitch, and a hitter can switch sides if he has less than two strikes on him.

I remember Jesus Pena getting a one-pitch/save K against the cubs back in 2000, and I also seem to remember Crazy Carl switching sides of the plate during an at-bat.

Kelly Wunsch got a one-pitch win for the Sox. And, as I already alluded to, Dean Stone won an All-Star game without throwing any pitches.

soxlady8
04-11-2010, 05:19 PM
:)

I too was at the game today and it was frustrating w the weather--
I was sometimes too warm and sometimes too cold --
however, the win was awesome !!!
I thought we were in real trouble w Mark's first inning !!

BainesHOF
04-11-2010, 05:20 PM
Great job by Buehrle. He obviously didn't have it today, yet he battled and won the game. That's what good pitchers do.

Was Joey Cora coaching at third for the Twins in the ninth? Just asking.

Jones needs to be in the lineup a lot more. He was our best hitter in spring training, he's enjoy many years of success and he's only 32. On a team that's struggling to produce runs, he needs to swing the bat regularly, at least for awhile. I have no idea if it'll work out, but it needs to be tried. It was nice that Kotsay homered today, but he's been part of the problem. Kotsay might still wind up being a big contributor for us this season, but, for now, Jones should be in the lineup most of the time.

By the way, it makes no sense to have Kotsay DH and Konerko at first. Kotsay has better range at first and he's much more mobile around the bag on throws to first. For some reason, Konerko has degenerated into a first baseman who moves around the bag like an old man.

SoxGirl4Life
04-11-2010, 05:32 PM
This picture is pretty cool. AND I love AJ... soooo.. bonus!

Twins_Morneau
04-11-2010, 05:33 PM
Good game Sox. Sending Hardy at the end was boneheaded mistake by our 3rd Base coach.

SephClone89
04-11-2010, 05:34 PM
For some reason, Konerko has degenerated into a first baseman who moves around the bag like an old man.

:scratch:
Age, maybe?

fram40
04-11-2010, 05:39 PM
I cannot believe they sent the runner. I mean he was just rounding third when Alexei got the ball. One thing to test a LF arm, but to test a SS from just past the IF dirt? :scratch:

Except it wasn't Alexei. It was Teahen who relayed to home. Alexei did not get out there to relay/cut the ball. Maybe that's why the 3rd base coach sent him - no relay man out in left.

Why not? Is this another situation where Alexei is not where he needs to be?

KMcMahon817
04-11-2010, 05:41 PM
Great game.

With all the negativity going around these parts this week, I'll add my two cents. Sox finish the first week 2-4, while hitting miserably at the plate. Things can't get a whole lot worse than that offensively, and really, no breaks or calls went our way until today. Seeing the relay throw glance off TCQ's foot as he was preparing for a collision with Mauer in 8th was the Sox first good break of the season.

The Sox could just as easily be 6-0 as they are 2-4. As OG keeps saying, they have had the opportunity to win every game, and that's really encouraging.

This team will fine, the bats will wake up and match the stellar pitching. Let's go take the series in Toronto.:D:

C-Dawg
04-11-2010, 05:46 PM

Big smile there on J.J. Hardy.... He knew he was out by a mile.

Thanks for posting that picture; I was way out in 108 trying to shoot it with my little P&S vidcam. Only by hearing the cheers did I know for sure he was out.

LOL I always liked J.J. Hardy; too bad he had to join the enemy!

voodoochile
04-11-2010, 05:48 PM
Except it wasn't Alexei. It was Teahen who relayed to home. Alexei did not get out there to relay/cut the ball. Maybe that's why the 3rd base coach sent him - no relay man out in left.

You are correct, just watched the replay. I don't know about Alexei's positioning, but Pierre says he turned saw Teahen and threw the ball to him as fast as he could for what it's worth.

BadBobbyJenks
04-11-2010, 06:10 PM
You are correct, just watched the replay. I don't know about Alexei's positioning, but Pierre says he turned saw Teahen and threw the ball to him as fast as he could for what it's worth.

Well Thome was up so they were in the shift.

asindc
04-11-2010, 06:12 PM

I can't think of a reason why Alexei should not be the one taking the throw from Pierre on that play. Even if Hardy is not sent, he might over-run the base and Teahen would need to be there to make a play. Also, if Pierre's arm is in fact as weak as Pods,' then Alexei is in a better position to get to shallow LF to receive the throw. On the replay I've seen, Teahen was the only Sox player in the picture as Hardy rounded third. Where was Alexei?

SoxGirl4Life
04-11-2010, 06:14 PM
I can't think of a reason why Alexei should not be the one taking the throw from Pierre on that play. Even if Hardy is not sent, he might over-run the base and Teahen would need to be there to make a play. Also, if Pierre's arm is in fact as weak as Pods,' then Alexei is in a better position to get to shallow LF to receive the throw. On the replay I've seen, Teahen was the only Sox player in the picture as Hardy rounded third. Where was Alexei?

Like BadBobbyJenks said, they were in the exaggerated shift because Thome was up. Makes perfect sense to me.

asindc
After watching the replay again, I realize Teahen was the closest to receive the throw because of the shift on Thome.

EDIT: SoxGirl4Life, you beat me to it.

gobears1987
So is anyone who has been ripping Ozzie going to give him credit? That was a well managed game.

gobears1987
04-11-2010, 06:15 PM
After watching the replay again, I realize Teahen was the closest to receive the throw because of the shift on Thome.

We, as fans, really should be used to that shift. We saw it applied against us every game for the last 4 years.

Rdy2PlayBall
04-11-2010, 06:27 PM
So is anyone who has been ripping Ozzie going to give him credit? That was a well managed game.It's easier to notice a poorly managed game from a game managed well... not noticing it is really no biggie.

We should be a lot less worried than some people are acting... we just had a very evenly played series against the greatest team in baseball... If you really look at it, we could be 6-0 if we just got a little more lucky. I'm not confident, but I am far from worried. We will get hot soon, I don't think we are the same kind of team as last year where we can't get that big winning streak.

I want to see what Jones can do. I know Kotsay got the HR, but Jones has been walking a lot and having some good at bats and good contact. I say let Jones start the Jays series... while Kotsay pinch hits in the late innings if they switch pitchers or something.

KMcMahon817
04-11-2010, 06:31 PM
It's easier to notice a poorly managed game from a game managed well... not noticing it is really no biggie.

We should be a lot less worried than some people are acting... we just had a very evenly played series against the greatest team in baseball... If you really look at it, we could be 6-0 if we just got a little more lucky. I'm not confident, but I am far from worried. We will get hot soon, I don't think we are the same kind of team as last year where we can't get that big winning streak.

I want to see what Jones can do. I know Kotsay got the HR, but Jones has been walking a lot and having some good at bats and good contact. I say let Jones start the Jays series... while Kotsay pinch hits in the late innings if they switch pitchers or something.

Ummm, you may be getting a little carried away with that.

Rdy2PlayBall
04-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Ummm, you may be getting a little carried away with that.Obviously, but some people act they are our only competition... so they might as well be the greatest. :tongue:

TDog
04-11-2010, 06:34 PM
It's easier to notice a poorly managed game from a game managed well... not noticing it is really no biggie.

It's also easy to complain about a poorly managed game that really isn't poorly managed. That's no biggie.

If Jones starts instead of Kotsay, the only way the Sox are tied is if Jones had hit a solo home run. The only way the Sox are leading is if he hit more than one solo home run.

The only way Jones hits against the lefty and not a tougher pitcher for him to hit in that situation is if Kotsay starts at DH.

Not seing that is no biggie, either.

asindc
04-11-2010, 06:35 PM

All good points. I have been wanting to see Jones start as DH since game one. I'm hoping that Kotsay is just getting some early-season ABs to get him in the flow and to give him a chance to win the job outright. I don't agree with that, but I'm hoping it is no more than that. I think Jones will crush the ball with regularity in our park.

mccoydp
04-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Too bad I missed this one; looked pretty good from the replay clips I saw.

Time to start a somber streak in T'ronto, folks!

JB98
04-11-2010, 07:26 PM
After Pierre fielded the carom on that shot Thome hit, I looked down to see where Hardy was. At that moment, I thought, "A good relay should prevent him from scoring." Then, I looked up in the outfield and couldn't find Alexei, who would normally be the relay man on a play like that. I thought, "Oh, ****. The shift..." Fortunately, Pierre got the ball to Teahen. Two accurate throws, game over.

Buehrle getting a couple DPs early to minimize damage was key. He didn't have it at all in the early innings, but his stuff seemed to come back to him at some point in the middle innings. His last two innings were his best, IMO. Nice batting effort by Mark.

Also nice to see two RBIs from the DH spot today. You could tell Jones was NOT pressing in that eighth inning. He took a couple strikes, waited for his pitch, didn't overswing and got the job done.

BleacherBandit
04-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Also nice to see two RBIs from the DH spot today. You could tell Jones was NOT pressing in that eighth inning. He took a couple strikes, waited for his pitch, didn't overswing and got the job done.

I think that's the key to our anemic hitting the past few games. Players like Alexei, Pierre, and Teahen aren't getting good looks during their at-bats. I see alot of swings on the first pitch and accordingly alot of one, two pitch at-bats.

I also heard this dude on the pre-game and post-game shows who was determined to convince the radio-hosts that the Sox aren't adept at hitting breaking pitches, which screws them over since 95% of out pitches are curves, sliders, pitches with movement etc.

Easy stuff, right? :rolleyes:

doublem23

Thome was batting, so the shift was on. Alexei was on the wrong side of 2B.

Corlose 15
After Pierre fielded the carom on that shot Thome hit, I looked down to see where Hardy was. At that moment, I thought, "A good relay should prevent him from scoring." Then, I looked up in the outfield and couldn't find Alexei, who would normally be the relay man on a play like that. I thought, "Oh, ****. The shift..." Fortunately, Pierre got the ball to Teahen. Two accurate throws, game over.

Buehrle getting a couple DPs early to minimize damage was key. He didn't have it at all in the early innings, but his stuff seemed to come back to him at some point in the middle innings. His last two innings were his best, IMO. Nice batting effort by Mark.

Absolutely, Jones looked perfectly calm at the plate and waited for his pitch.

asindc
04-11-2010, 07:33 PM

Aren't you forgetting something?

doublem23
04-11-2010, 07:34 PM
Absolutely, Jones looked perfectly calm at the plate and waited for his pitch.

Hopefully his "I've Got Nothing to Lose" attitude will rub off on some of our guys.

BleacherBandit
04-11-2010, 07:36 PM
Is Pierre a player that just fouls a whole bunch of times during a regular at-bat? Because it seems like he does it very often, more than the regular protecting himself in a pitcher's count. I don't know for sure, but it seems as if he has either grounded out on the first pitch or down 0-2 right away.

JB98
04-11-2010, 07:40 PM
Aren't you forgetting something?

The Twins are crappy. They are perpetual losers. :cool:

(And their fans suck, too.)

SephClone89
Is Pierre a player that just fouls a whole bunch of times during a regular at-bat? Because it seems like he does it very often, more than the regular protecting himself in a pitcher's count. I don't know for sure, but it seems as if he has either grounded out on the first pitch or down 0-2 right away.

This guy is his idol:

http://ajroxmywhitesox.mlblogs.com/appling%20%28flickr.com%29.jpg

twinslayer

6 games / 162 games= 3.7% of the season so far. He has been pretty slow out of the gates here, but let's let him settle in a bit.

Mohoney
04-11-2010, 07:45 PM

The Astros are going to be bottom feeders. We're expected to be in the mix for a division title. There's a pretty big difference there.

DonnieDarko
04-11-2010, 07:47 PM
The Astros were also unlucky to run into Halladay.

CG, 7H, 1 unearned run, 8Ks. Ouch.

oeo
04-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Ummm, you may be getting a little carried away with that.

They did however shut down an offense that was red hot against the Angels. They hit 9 homeruns in their first four games, and only 1 in the homerun heaven that is US Cellular Field. The pitching has been as good as advertised. And the fact that we have had a lead in all six games in the 7th inning or later with no offensive production whatsoever makes me optimistic that this could be a good year, regardless of their current record.

Mohoney
04-11-2010, 07:53 PM
So is anyone who has been ripping Ozzie going to give him credit? That was a well managed game.

The best decision Ozzie has made all season was leaving Buehrle in to pitch 8 innings. Buehrle responds in a big way with 6 up, 6 down in the 7th and 8th.

Everybody with the exception of Bobby got today off, which was really needed. Toronto has really been hitting the ball well so far.

oeo
04-11-2010, 07:54 PM
The best decision Ozzie has made all season was leaving Buehrle in to pitch 8 innings. Buehrle responds in a big way with 6 up, 6 down in the 7th and 8th.

Everybody with the exception of Bobby got today off, which was really needed. Toronto has really been hitting the ball well so far.

Second straight year we get the Blue Jays when they're red hot.

Brian26
04-11-2010, 08:00 PM

Even if that was what he was trying to do, there was very little chance of it working, since Pierre had already hit Alexei with the throw and all Alexei had to do was turn around and see where Hardy was. Besides, I'm sure Bobby and Teahen were yelling home! on the play anyway. Just stupid baserunning/coaching, depending on who made the call.

I know most people don't spend anytime reading what others post in these postgame threads, but I believe Teahen made the relay throw to end the game.

Brian26
04-11-2010, 08:02 PM
A batter can be replaced at any time. A hitter can switch sides during an at bat, even if there is no pitching change.

Just going through this thread post-by-post...so this has probably already been answered, but I always thought the batter could switch sides until he had two strikes on him.

Brian26
04-11-2010, 08:05 PM
TDog:

If a pitching change is made, the new pitcher has to face at least one batter.

This came up a couple of years ago (early 2007) in the Cubs/Sox game at Wrigley when Lou schooled Ozzie. Ozzie brought in Boone Logan to face someone, and then Piniella called for DLee to pinch hit. Logan was forced to face Lee and subsequently was taken deep.

Brian26
04-11-2010, 08:09 PM

Regarding the former point, what would keep a manager from just calling a pitch out to waste a pitch and then making a change in the case of a really bad match-up (ie Boone Logan vs. Derrick Lee)? I think the pitcher has to face the batter for an entire at bat.

Brian26
04-11-2010, 08:10 PM

Hawk's call of the play is great.

Brian26
04-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Except it wasn't Alexei.

You are correct, just watched the replay.

Ok- I'm glad I wasn't the only one who caught this. :D:

delben91
04-11-2010, 08:12 PM
I said in the game thread that I didn't think the Sox could get 5 runs today. I'm glad to say I was wrong.

Now, can they do it again tomorrow...I'd like to be wrong again.

BRDSR
04-11-2010, 08:24 PM
Just watched Pierre's last play of the game again...that was a great play. He didn't get over-excited, and knew from the beginning that the best chance was to make a good play off the wall, not to make a good play on the ball. Either they hold up the runner or he's got a shot to get him at the plate.

Smart players win games.

ChiSoxGirl
04-11-2010, 08:25 PM
Let's figure out a way to see some Padre games while you're down here!

Sounds like a plan! We'll be in touch as it gets closer, I'm sure.

asindc
04-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Just watched Pierre's last play of the game again...that was a great play. He didn't get over-excited, and knew from the beginning that the best chance was to make a good play off the wall, not to make a good play on the ball. Either they hold up the runner or he's got a shot to get him at the plate.

Smart players win games.

I think Pods might have gone for the catch and Thome might have ended up with an RBI-triple.

TDog
04-11-2010, 08:43 PM
If a pitching change is made, the new pitcher has to face at least one batter.

This came up a couple of years ago (early 2007) in the Cubs/Sox game at Wrigley when Lou schooled Ozzie. Ozzie brought in Boone Logan to face someone, and then Piniella called for DLee to pinch hit. Logan was forced to face Lee and subsequently was taken deep.

And the ensuing postgame thread was full of posters calling Guillen an idiot for leaving Logan in the game, which brought responses with links to the rule that requires a pitcher to face a hitter (in most cases -- a pickoff that ends an inning will allow a new pitcher to come in and face the hitter in the next inning, but a pickoff that doesn't end the inning won't permit the pitcher to be pulled). Then people retracted what they said and called Guillen an idiot for not realizing the Cubs would hit Lee.

I don't know that Piniella schooled Guillen on that day. Lee didn't start because he was injured. I think Guillen gambled that Lee wouldn't hit, and if he did, his injury made the possible Logan-Lee matchup with a force at any base more favorable than the Aardsma-Jones matchup would have been. Obviously Guillen was wrong, but I don't believe he never considered the possibility that the Cubs would send up a right-hander against Logan. At the time, Guillen probably had more confidence in Logan than events of the season would justify.

I'm gave Guillen the benefit of the doubt. I don't see any reason why he didn't deserve it. It isn't like he signaled to the bullpen for a pitcher who wasn't warming up. I didn't listen to the postgame news conference, though, so I don't know if Guillen said he was schooled by Piniella in the game.

bunty_doghunter
04-11-2010, 08:44 PM
The best decision Ozzie has made all season was leaving Buehrle in to pitch 8 innings.
Not that much choice, the bullpen was used heavily until now.

bunty_doghunter
04-11-2010, 08:53 PM
I said in the game thread that I didn't think the Sox could get 5 runs today. I'm glad to say I was wrong.

Now, can they do it again tomorrow...I'd like to be wrong again.
Let's hope it doesn't depend on 3 homers and a big mistake by the other team to do it. We used to have to depend on the multiple-solo homer effort.

GoGoCrede
04-11-2010, 08:53 PM
I forgot to add that the ceremonial first pitch was thrown by Captain James A. Lovell, Jr., who was part of the Apollo 13 mission. Rongey interviewed him and he mentioned being at one of the Astros/White Sox games a couple of years back, which was cool.

The scoreboard also mentioned what the Sox were doing at that point in time, 40 years ago - they lost a game against the Brewers 8-4 and the team included the likes of Aparicio, Melton, and Ken Berry. Long time ago.

Just a little anecdote for those who care. :smile:

DSpivack
04-11-2010, 08:57 PM
I forgot to add that the ceremonial first pitch was thrown by Captain James A. Lovell, Jr., who was part of the Apollo 13 mission. Rongey interviewed him and he mentioned being at one of the Astros/White Sox games a couple of years back, which was cool.

The scoreboard also mentioned what the Sox were doing at that point in time, 40 years ago - they lost a game against the Brewers 8-4 and the team included the likes of Aparicio, Melton, and Ken Berry. Long time ago.

"Houston, we have a problem." x2!

He also said he lives in the area. I take it he's a Sox fan, then?

DSpivack
04-11-2010, 09:01 PM
The Twins are crappy. They are perpetual losers. :cool:

(And their fans suck, too.)

:bandance:

I actually don't mind their fans, especially not when compared to Cleveland and Detroit.

CLUBHOUSE KID
04-11-2010, 09:01 PM
Okay don't bash me but this is one thing that bothers me about a lot of WSox fans...They are to flip-floppy...OD: Yes what a game wow! After that: **** this team Ozzie too! Now: Yes this is it! I mean I know people get mad after loses and happy after wins but its to extreme IMO Anyways it was Mark not Alexei someone actually asked me about this after the game lol

twentywontowin
04-11-2010, 09:02 PM
"Houston, we have a problem." x2!

He also said he lives in the area. I take it he's a Sox fan, then?

The Lovell's live in Lake Forest. Could be a Sox fan.

DSpivack
04-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Okay don't bash me but this is one thing that bothers me about a lot of WSox fans...They are to flip-floppy...OD: Yes what a game wow! After that: **** this team Ozzie too! Now: Yes this is it! I mean I know people get mad after loses and happy after wins but its to extreme IMO Anyways it was Mark not Alexei someone actually asked me about this after the game lol

It probably doesn't make you feel any better, but that isn't unique to Sox fans. That's fans of most teams in general.

Brian26
04-11-2010, 09:03 PM

That was a cool segment. I'm not sure if its a regular thing or if they're only going to do it on Sundays with Ranger, but it's a bit classier than carting the guy around to both broadcast booths for an inning and then being forced to listen to him stumble through Take Me Out to the Ballgame.

asindc
04-11-2010, 09:03 PM
And the ensuing postgame thread was full of posters calling Guillen an idiot for leaving Logan in the game, which brought responses with links to the rule that requires a pitcher to face a hitter (in most cases -- a pickoff that ends an inning will allow a new pitcher to come in and face the hitter in the next inning, but a pickoff that doesn't end the inning won't permit the pitcher to be pulled). Then people retracted what they said and called Guillen an idiot for not realizing the Cubs would hit Lee.

I don't know that Piniella schooled Guillen on that day. Lee didn't start because he was injured. I think Guillen gambled that Lee wouldn't hit, and if he did, his injury made the possible Logan-Lee matchup with a force at any base more favorable than the Aardsma-Jones matchup would have been. Obviously Guillen was wrong, but I don't believe he never considered the possibility that the Cubs would send up a right-hander against Logan. At the time, Guillen probably had more confidence in Logan than events of the season would justify.

I'm gave Guillen the benefit of the doubt. I don't see any reason why he didn't deserve it. It isn't like he signaled to the bullpen for a pitcher who wasn't warming up. I didn't listen to the postgame news conference, though, so I don't know if Guillen said he was schooled by Piniella in the game.

It's sad that it seems that some Sox fans actually believe that.:rolleyes:

Brian26
04-11-2010, 09:15 PM

Lee wasn't on the DL. His injury wasn't serious enough to place him on the DL. Before that series at Wrigley, there were rumors all over radio and the newspapers that he was ready to come back anyday. He pinch hit that day, the next day, and then played full-time beginning with the Cubs next series in San Diego after the off day. He had missed five games.

Let's not pretend the Cubs pulled the wool over Ozzie's eyes by signing Eddie Gaedel to a contract during the middle of the game to go pinch hit.

That being said, I still don't think blame falls totally on Ozzie. Boone Logan and most of the rest of the Sox bullpen had no business being on the major league roster at that point.

TDog
04-11-2010, 09:19 PM

That was a Saturday afternoon game that I actually remember watching on Channel 32. Aparicio went 3-for-4. May drove in two runs with a triple. The Sox took a 4-2 lead into the eighth.

The next day, my mother was nice enough to take my brothers and I out to the ballpark, which I'm sure wasn't her first choice. The stands were empty, we froze, and the Sox lost 5-2, but May hit his first home run since his military accident eight months earlier. We didn't stay for the second game, which the Sox lost 16-2.

That was a long time ago.

soxinem1
04-11-2010, 09:30 PM
One bad thing about today's game was the streak of taking the lead first coming to an end at five games.

I was curiously watching that as it related to that one year that we had the lead in what, 25 games to start the year?

Lip Man 1
04-11-2010, 09:35 PM
I know it was over 35 games. I think it ended at 38 when Baltimore scored first in a game in mid May.

Lip

JohnTucker0814
04-11-2010, 09:43 PM

This shift that was put on for Thome meant that Teahen was actually in the SS position, that is probably why he was the cutoff man. Sorry if this was answered already, just browsing the thread since I didn't get to see the game today!

ilsox7
04-11-2010, 09:53 PM
I know it was over 35 games. I think it ended at 38 when Baltimore scored first in a game in mid May.

Lip

Ended at 37 and it was not taking the lead first, it was just having a lead at any point in the game.

cheezheadsoxfan
04-11-2010, 09:57 PM
:bandance:

I actually don't mind their fans, especially not when compared to Cleveland and Detroit.

Rather be at the Cell with Twins fans than with Red Sox fans. I worked with a Twin fan and he was less obnoxious than me. :rolleyes:

Foulke You
04-11-2010, 09:57 PM
Second straight year we get the Blue Jays when they're red hot.
We also got swept 4 games there in 2008 if memory serves. I'd be happy with a split but 3 out of 4 would be amazing. At least we won't have to face Halladay anymore.

In an unrelated note, there was an interesting blurb in the Trib sports section today that said the last time the Sox started 1W-4L was in 2006. We ended up winning 90 games that year. As painful as this Opening week was to watch, we have to remember that it is still way early. I'd feel a whole lot better if the batting averages actually got above .200 :cool:

CLUBHOUSE KID
04-11-2010, 10:02 PM
We also got swept 4 games there in 2008 if memory serves. I'd be happy with a split but 3 out of 4 would be amazing. At least we won't have to face Halladay anymore.

In an unrelated note, there was an interesting blurb in the Trib sports section today that said the last time the Sox started 1W-4L was in 2006. We ended up winning 90 games that year. As painful as this Opening week was to watch, we have to remember that it is still way early. I'd feel a whole lot better if the batting averages actually got above .200 :cool:

How could you forget?!?! lol This where they had all the blow-up dolls in the clubhouse

doublem23
04-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Ended at 37 and it was not taking the lead first, it was just having a lead at any point in the game.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200505150.shtml

That was the game that blew the streak, which I only know because I was at that game.

soxinem1
04-11-2010, 10:30 PM

If that is the case, then the streak lives on!!!!!:bandance::bandance:

twentywontowin
04-11-2010, 10:38 PM

That was the game that blew the streak, which I only know because I was at that game.

Rowand batting third!? :o:

Domeshot17
04-11-2010, 10:39 PM
only can type 1 handed so I will make it short. Good game, a lot to like in this win. Mostly the no quit attitude. Only concern is 3 home runs only brought in 4 runs. We need to get guys on base for these.

guillensdisciple
04-12-2010, 12:50 AM
Didn't see the game, but followed gamecast. Hella happy we won, and can now relax a little bit from all of this losing. Pitching staff is remarkable and will win the Sox a lot of games. Once the hitting gets going, which I am 90 percent positive it will, this team will be as good as many people think or imagine it to be (the hopeful ones).

6 games in with a lot of baseball left. The Sox are the team in the Central no one wants to heat up. If we catch fire, all hell is breaking loose. Way too much pitching, and too much hitting potential.

It's up to the Sox to take care of the potential they have.

C-Dawg
04-12-2010, 06:38 AM
Rather be at the Cell with Twins fans than with Red Sox fans.

I agree. Twins fans are pretty quiet and polite. Indians fans are jerks. But Red Sox fans are off-the-charts awful.

asindc
04-12-2010, 08:41 AM

I don't think we have won there since 2007. We are more than overdue.

WhiteSoxFTW
04-12-2010, 10:17 AM
The 2010 "ozzieball" White Sox break a losing streak by hitting home runs. Hmm...

And, they were only 1-2 run HRs as well. So much for manufacturing runs with runners on base.

C-Dawg
04-12-2010, 10:49 AM

That was also the game after the famous "Hot Dog Man" game.... Those of us seated down the 1st base line that Saturday night never laughed so hard in our lives! A great game too; those early 2005 games the Sox were really on a roll.

Nellie_Fox
04-12-2010, 11:28 AM
The 2010 "ozzieball" White Sox break a losing streak by hitting home runs. Hmm...

And, they were only 1-2 run HRs as well. So much for manufacturing runs with runners on base.I knew someone would point this out. The goal is to be able to win in multiple ways, not JUST by the home run. Nobody said they shouldn't hit home runs.

WhiteSoxFTW
04-12-2010, 11:44 AM
I knew someone would point this out. The goal is to be able to win in multiple ways, not JUST by the home run. Nobody said they shouldn't hit home runs.
I think it is short-sighted to think that they can win without majorly relying on the home run in US Cellular Field. I really don't think this team will win with "small ball". We will see, though.

TDog
04-12-2010, 11:51 AM
I knew someone would point this out. The goal is to be able to win in multiple ways, not JUST by the home run. Nobody said they shouldn't hit home runs.

Reading postgame threads, I am left to wonder if the goal is to find multiple things to complain about after great wins. After opening day, the major complaint was how the Sox scored all the runners who got to third with less than two outs. After Sunday the home runs bother people.

Maybe next someone will complain that all of the Sox runs Sunday scored after the Sox had two outs and no one on base. I wouldn't complain about that, though.

Chez
04-12-2010, 11:55 AM
This shift that was put on for Thome meant that Teahen was actually in the SS position, that is probably why he was the cutoff man. Sorry if this was answered already, just browsing the thread since I didn't get to see the game today!

Thanks for bringing this up because even though I was there, I couldn't for the life of me figure out why Teahen was the cut-off man on the last play. It was due to the Thome shift.

beasly213
04-12-2010, 12:17 PM

Actually.. someone did.. :rolleyes:

FINALLY.

Too much long ball, but it helps get the W. I hope we get our heads (and bats) out of our asses and off our shoulders and start hitting. It's never to early to start winning.

WhiteSoxFTW
04-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Too much long ball? What the hell? :scratch:

Everybody loves home runs, especially when they win us ballgames...which is the cause more often than not.

wassagstdu
04-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Good heads-up play by Teahen. Ramirez -- not so much.

soltrain21
04-12-2010, 05:57 PM

Ramirez was on the other side of the diamond.

SephClone89
04-12-2010, 05:58 PM

:scratch:

wassagstdu
04-13-2010, 06:27 AM
Ramirez was on the other side of the diamond.

He didn't have as far to run as Hardy, and Teahen should have been able to cover third. Nobody expected Teahen to make that play.

doublem23
04-13-2010, 06:31 AM
He didn't have as far to run as Hardy, and Teahen should have been able to cover third. Nobody expected Teahen to make that play.

There was no way Alexei would have had enough time to get in proper position to relay that ball home. Teahen was the only one with a play.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-13-2010, 06:51 AM

Actually.. someone did.. :rolleyes:

My point was the only offense for those games WAS the long ball. I am on board 1000% about scoring with home runs. But when a HR is your only solution because the team built can't move guys around as it's built, then there's trouble.