PDA

View Full Version : 2010 vs 2009 Opening Day Lineup...I don't get it.

captain54
04-11-2010, 01:05 AM
2009 Opening Day Lineup
Wise cf
Getz 2b
Quentin lf
Thome dh
Dye rf
Konerko 1b
Pierzynski c
Ramirez ss
Fields 3b

2010 Opening Day Lineup
Pierre lf
Beckham 2b
Quentin rf
Konerko 1b
Kotsay/Jones dh
Rios cf
Pierzynski c
Thehan 3b
Ramirez ss

On paper, I think the 10' lineup looks a lot better than the 09' lineup.....is it too early to throw in the towel after 4 games?

Nellie_Fox
04-11-2010, 01:13 AM
...is it too early to throw in the towel after 4 games?Yes.

gobears1987
04-11-2010, 01:15 AM
Yes.

Agreed, but this is WSI. Overreactions and hyperbole are the norm. Reason need not apply.

LongLiveFisk
04-11-2010, 01:18 AM
Agreed, but this is WSI. Overreactions and hyperbole are the norm. Reason need not apply.

True enough. After the opener I was reading comments about how this team is going to be fun to watch and how it was going to be a great year and just four days later, this team sucks and the season is over.

Yep, welcome to WSI! :)

captain54
04-11-2010, 01:41 AM
In defense of the overreactors, its not easy watch a wildly inconsistent offense. One day they kick booty, and then the next few days they suck. Then repeat. We've been watching a lot of this the past few years. I realize it's baseball, but it gets old. I think a lot of people are seeing "deja vu all over again" as Yogi would say.

DaveFeelsRight
04-11-2010, 03:01 AM
there's still over 150+ games to play and i can't believe people are ready to jump off the ****ing ledge already.

DonnieDarko
04-11-2010, 03:18 AM
there's still over 150+ games to play and i can't believe people are ready to jump off the ****ing ledge already.

:welcome:

Sam Spade
04-11-2010, 03:54 AM
I feel for everyone who is down on the team right now. After the first game of the year, I decided I wanted to buy a new TV for the season. After the last four games, I stopped looking for one. I have the same wild thoughts everyone else does, the same passion. I just don't post those thoughts, because I know they are stupid.

Konerko05
04-11-2010, 04:27 AM

Not really. When people's concerns prove to be true the first three out of four games, there is very good reason to be upset/worried.

I have zero faith in this offense right now. I'm sure that will improve, but I will not ever be comfortable with this lineup.

Waste of pitching staff.

BRDSR
04-11-2010, 08:11 AM
On paper, I think the 10' lineup looks a lot better than the 09' lineup.....is it too early to throw in the towel after 4 games?

4 games? Yes, way too early. But this team has played 5 full games...

I agree with Konerko05's sentiments. If this team had a stacked lineup and had lost the first five games scoring 16 runs (six of which were in the first game), I wouldn't be worried. If this team was 1-4, having scored 30 runs and giving up 40 with this pitching staff, I wouldn't be worried.

But the fact is, this team has gotten more-than-adequate pitching to start the year but has proven to be completely inept at the plate and lacking in fundamentals. Basically, they are living up to my worst realistic fears. Because it's only five games into the season, I'm retaining some optimism against mostly pessimism. However, my pessimism isn't fueled by a 1-4 record; it's fueled by the fact that if the first five games are indicative of the type of team the White Sox are, they will lose 85-90 games.

Hitmen77
04-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Time to start carrying over the tired old excuses from last year:

It's too cold for our hitters, just wait until our guys get going, we haven't hit our stride yet, the umps have lousy strike zones against us, etc., etc.

SI1020
04-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Ordinarily 5 games isn't just too early, it's way too early to throw in the towel. However you have a team that has played below .500 ball for three and half years. You see the same mistakes that have driven us crazy being repeated again. The hitting, which was suspect to begin with, is proving the worst of the naysayers right. Ozzie is up to his usual questionable in game strategies and appears to be angrily melting down a little bit at a time. In addition to all this, at least to me the Twins look to be a very formidable team. I will never count out the Jim Leyland managed Tigers until they show me conclusively they're not a contender. I could go on but I'm pretty low profile around here, so I'll just conclude that I find the anger, frustration and concern perfectly understandable.

jabrch
04-11-2010, 01:50 PM
2009 Opening Day Lineup
Wise cf
Getz 2b
Quentin lf
Thome dh
Dye rf
Konerko 1b
Pierzynski c
Ramirez ss
Fields 3b

2010 Opening Day Lineup
Pierre lf
Beckham 2b
Quentin rf
Konerko 1b
Kotsay/Jones dh
Rios cf
Pierzynski c
Thehan 3b
Ramirez ss

Nope - Some of our fans did it in December. Why are you so late getting to the "party"?

Domeshot17
04-11-2010, 01:52 PM
It is too early to throw in the towel for sure. However, the truth is just like the expression, you can't win your division in april, but you can't lose it. If the Sox offense doesn't pick up Buehrle today, we are 5 back of the Twins after week 1. That is very very very very very bad.