PDA

View Full Version : JP Wants AG, I Hope KW Agrees

PhillipsBubba
04-10-2010, 08:28 PM
It's time for Kenny to make an all out push for Adrian Gonzalez. As far as I'm concerned they can have anyone but Beckham. I know this was discussed early in the spring, but it's now obvious the Sox don't have the offense to beat out the Twins or Tigers.

tsoxman
04-10-2010, 08:57 PM
It's time for Kenny to make an all out push for Adrian Gonzalez. As far as I'm concerned they can have anyone but Beckham. I know this was discussed early in the spring, but it's now obvious the Sox don't have the offense to beat out the Twins or Tigers.
So instead of siging Damon in the offseason, we now probably have to empty out was is left of out barren farm system to acquire some replacement level hitter. (I am assuming that we do not have enough to offer to get AG).

Wonderful.

Tragg
04-10-2010, 08:59 PM
So instead of siging Damon in the offseason, we now probably have to empty out was is left of out barren farm system to acquire some replacement level hitter. (I am assuming that we do not have enough to offer to get AG).

Wonderful.
Please no.
We're never going to get this thing done if we don't develop a lot of young talent.
No more mediocre veteran players.

It's Dankerific
04-10-2010, 09:00 PM
I've always hated how we are so sure of ourselves in the offseason, refusing easy FA pickups and then stuck trading away valuable farmhands (even if they turn out to be nothing, we could still have used them for a different trade) for similar players... especially players that played for us before like Everett and Alomar.

tm1119
04-10-2010, 09:02 PM

Wonderful.

Johnny Damon would not make or break this lineup. Would he be an improvement over Kotsay/Jones? Sure. But not enough to where our lineup would be magically a lot better now. His #'s were really skewed last year from hitting in the Yankee lineup and that ridiculously short porch in left in their new stadium. We need more help than Damon.

Brian26
04-10-2010, 10:34 PM

Trades like this just don't happen one week into a new season.

As I've said in the past, the chances of the Sox getting Gonzalez are extremely weak. I can't find an example in the history of major league baseball where one team has traded their best two players in consecutive years to the same team.

mcfish
04-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Trades like this just don't happen one week into a new season.

As I've said in the past, the chances of the Sox getting Gonzalez are extremely weak. I can't find an example in the history of major league baseball where one team has traded their best two players in consecutive years to the same team.I don't know if they were the absolute best players at the time or not, but the Pirates operated as the Cubs' farm team for a few years there.

But either way you're right; AG's not getting traded for a few months if at all.

DSpivack
04-10-2010, 11:25 PM
I'm probably in the minority, but I really don't think he gets dealt at all.

waltwilliams
04-11-2010, 12:43 AM
As I've said in the past, the chances of the Sox getting Gonzalez are extremely weak. I can't find an example in the history of major league baseball where one team has traded their best two players in consecutive years to the same team.

Sorry for irrelevant the trivia but after the Babe Ruth deal the Red Sox continued to send all their best players to the Yankess including their best hitter, Harry Hooper and all of their best pitchers; Carl Mays, Sad Sam Jones, Herb Pennock, Bullet Joe Bush and Waite Hoyt in a series of deals.

balke
04-11-2010, 10:04 AM
I do think the Sox would benefit from AG. I do also have a little faith this offense can get clicking though. Can't give up on them yet - but they have to get used to producing in late game situations. It seems like they can get that runner on and in position, but can't seem to drive it in.

Maybe 3 weeks in of close games - and they start executing better.

GoSox2K3
04-11-2010, 02:15 PM
I like how people think the Sox can just snap their fingers and get Adrian Gonzalez.

It's not going to happen. Even if we were to empty out what little talent we have in our farm system, there are other teams that would want him and have more talent depth to trade from and those teams would easily outbid the Sox for his services.

HomeFish
04-11-2010, 03:27 PM
All 30 GM's in baseball want AG. Hell, I want him for my softball team.