PDA

View Full Version : What to do about our hitting?

russ99
04-10-2010, 04:01 PM
This is tongue in cheek, but still interesting

Rikirk
04-10-2010, 04:10 PM
You know what....I think Frank could teach these guys a few things about hitting.

kevingrt
04-10-2010, 04:11 PM
You know what....I think Frank could teach these guys a few things about hitting.

Well they for sure walk enough.

soltrain21
04-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Can we fire Walker AND get another bat.

Dibbs
04-10-2010, 04:59 PM
I vote for acquire another bat and fire Walker. Every year we go through the same story. Then you get people saying hitting coaches don't matter. Even more reason to get rid of him in my opinion. It is no loss if it doesn't matter.

WhiteSox5187
04-10-2010, 05:06 PM
It's too early to panic, but if we keep this up for another week, Walker's job has got to be in jeopardy.

Daver
04-10-2010, 05:18 PM
If they were in the AL they could have a guy in the line-up just for his bat...

Wait, never mind.

doublem23
04-10-2010, 05:21 PM

I don't know, as much as I like Frank the only guy he could ever really take hitting advice from was Walt Hrniak who is generally regarded as a giant douche amongst every other player he worked with. Not saying Frank would be the same way, but I hesitate to think that a guy who could hit .330 with his eyes closed would know how to tap into the mind of the struggling hitter. If Frank wants to coach hitting professionally, he'll probably have to learn the ropes in the minors first.

Did Greg Walker ever coach in the minors before joining the Sox? I seriously do not remember. Frank's great, but there has to be someone more qualified to run a Major League hitting coaching staff, right?

We just need a bat. And an exorcism.

BadBobbyJenks
04-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Too bad a good bat wont be available until at least mid May. For now just keep betting the under.

DumpJerry
04-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Have a computer in the dugout logged into WSI during the game for expert advice.

GoGoCrede
04-10-2010, 05:55 PM

My thoughts exactly.

Have a computer in the dugout logged into WSI during the game for expert advice.

:rolling: BTW, it was good seeing you at the game on Friday! Sorry you had to sit through that dreck.

TheOldRoman
04-10-2010, 05:58 PM
Can we fire Walker AND get another bat.I like the sound of that.

DumpJerry
04-10-2010, 06:02 PM
:rolling: BTW, it was good seeing you at the game on Friday! Sorry you had to sit through that dreck.
Likewise!

JB98
04-10-2010, 06:39 PM

In my dreams...

russ99
04-10-2010, 07:12 PM
I get it, Walker's a member of the "White Sox Family". But can't the Sox kick the guy upstairs?

If they can find a job for Jerry Krause, they certainly can find a different one for Greg Walker. And it might not be a bad idea to get someone who will push Ozzie a bit.

Lillian
04-10-2010, 07:37 PM
The import of this message may sound redundant, but let me put it in other words. Put Jones in the lineup, and leave him there!
It's not that I am that confident that he will hit, but he's the closest thing to a slugger we have, next to Quentin, and Konerko, and the middle of the lineup needs three power threats to be competitive in the A.L. Therefore, let Jones try to get his timing down, and pray that he'll produce. If he doesn't, this team is in trouble. Quentin, Konerko and Kotsay is not going to work in this league.

The Twins have Mauer, Mornea, Kubel and Cuddeyer.
The Yankees have A Rod, Teixeiira and Cano, and more.
The Rays have Zobrist, Longoria and Pena.
The Indians have Sizemore, Choo and Hafner
The Rangers have Hamilton, Guerrero, Cruz and Davis.
The Red Sox have Martinez, Youkilis and Drew.
The Angels have Abreu, Hunter, Matsui, Morales and Rivera.

All of the better teams, and some that aren't that good have at least 3 solid hitters in the heart of their order.

Most of us thought that the DH spot was going to be a question mark, and it appears to be working out that way. If Jones is not going to play, then bat Rios 5th, and hope that he continues to hit.

However, in any case, Kotsay cannot be a number 5 hitter in the A. L.

Lip Man 1
04-10-2010, 08:45 PM
I think fair or not it's time to change hitting coaches. However Frank Thomas certainly isn't the answer to that position.

Lip

JB98
04-10-2010, 09:18 PM
I do agree with the thought that Jones needs more ABs. He's not the player he used to be. In fact, he may suck. But he has a better track record than Kotsay, and he's the best in-house option they got. Sad to say, but it's true.

Waysouthsider
04-10-2010, 09:44 PM
I think fair or not it's time to change hitting coaches. However Frank Thomas certainly isn't the answer to that position.

Lip

Agreed...I'm sick of this.....it feels exactly like last season.....I know everyone is loyal to Walker, but this is just horrifying...when the pitching staff is performing so well with absolutely NO run support something has to change...

Now, in addition to that I also am worried about the lack of focus on this team....too many base running and fielding mistakes....wow, it looks like little league out there!

Pear-Zin-Ski
04-10-2010, 11:02 PM

this!

mcfish
04-10-2010, 11:31 PM

Lip
Like I said in one of the postgame threads... someone is at fault. It's Kenny's job to fill the roster with enough talent to win; it's Walker's job to mold that talent into productive offensive players; it's Ozzie's job to put those players in the best position to succeed. The offense has been awful for 2-3 years and counting now - there has been plenty of time for each of them to correct their prior mistakes. But the roster doesn't get better, no one progresses, and/or players are still being put in positions to fail.

If this doesn't turn around and this season is as bad offensively as we expect it will be, I think any combination from one to all three of them has to be fired.

Sam Spade
04-11-2010, 12:27 AM
They should fire walker and hope ozzie quits. I'm guessing he is just full of **** when he said he'd leave if walker was sent packing. Its undeniably ozzie's fault that we have no big bat. He didn't want one and that is well documented.

thomas35forever
04-11-2010, 12:46 AM
I do agree with the thought that Jones needs more ABs. He's not the player he used to be. In fact, he may suck. But he has a better track record than Kotsay, and he's the best in-house option they got. Sad to say, but it's true.
Agreed. Kotsay is a career pinch hitter and should be left as such. Jones is a former MVP candidate. Which would you prefer? Apparently in the Sox's case, not the latter.

Baron
04-11-2010, 12:47 AM
Agreed. Kotsay is a career pinch hitter and should be left as such. Jones is a former MVP candidate. Which would you prefer? Apparently in the Sox's case, not the latter.

I dont want either of them...but if I had to chose it would be Jones

PalehosePlanet
04-11-2010, 12:55 AM

The other good thing here would be that we could DH Pierre, and have a much better defensive OF.

mcfish
04-11-2010, 01:20 AM
They should fire walker and hope ozzie quits. I'm guessing he is just full of **** when he said he'd leave if walker was sent packing. Its undeniably ozzie's fault that we have no big bat. He didn't want one and that is well documented.
While Ozzie is not without blame on the issue, the responsibility ultimately lies with Kenny Williams to set the roster. What Ozzie does or doesn't want is just a suggestion - its up to Kenny to act on that suggestion or not.

SOXSINCE'70
04-11-2010, 10:19 AM
I don't believe this man has a major league contract.
It's almost time to consider him an option.

:dye:

russ99
04-11-2010, 10:54 AM
While Ozzie is not without blame on the issue, the responsibility ultimately lies with Kenny Williams to set the roster. What Ozzie does or doesn't want is just a suggestion - its up to Kenny to act on that suggestion or not.

And the truth of the matter is that we didn't have the payroll flexibility to add another big bat. Everyone we acquired we did so fairly inexpensively. We got Jones at bargain basement prices, Putz took less to play with Thornton and the Dodgers are paying $10M of Pierre's salary.

If you want to blame Ozzie, fine - but the Sox were priced out of the Damon market, Matsui didn't want to sign here, so who else is there?

I didn't see Jerry OKing another 8-10M in payroll, which is what we'd have needed to bring in an impact bat.

And don't say Thome, we all know he's only good for one thing anymore. We'd have the same putrid offense with 1-2 more homers.

tick53
04-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Let Jones play the outfield. He's won 10 Gold Gloves and can still hit. Keep Juan Pierre off the field, he's happy just to be there. Do that DH shuffle that Ozzie talked about earlier with Pierre, Kotsay, Jones and Konerko. Give Teahen some more time to get his settle down, he'll be servicable if nothing else.

mcfish
04-11-2010, 11:06 AM
And the truth of the matter is that we didn't have the payroll flexibility to add another big bat. Everyone we acquired we did so fairly inexpensively. We got Jones at bargain basement prices, Putz took less to play with Thornton and the Dodgers are paying $10M of Pierre's salary.

If you want to blame Ozzie, fine - but the Sox were priced out of the Damon market, Matsui didn't want to sign here, so who else is there?

I didn't see Jerry OKing another 8-10M in payroll, which is what we'd have needed to bring in an impact bat.

And don't say Thome, we all know he's only good for one thing anymore. We'd have the same putrid offense with 1-2 more homers.Get creative. Who knows what's out there? Either way, make sure there are 9 players on the roster worthy of a starting spot. The fact that there are not is on KW whether OG told him he didn't want someone or not.

psyclonis
04-11-2010, 11:20 AM
Im surprised Teahen gets so much hate
Yeah overall hes slightly below average but hes also a 9th hitter w/ a .375 obp so far...
Pierre($8M/2) on the other hand only has 2 runs and a .227 obp
KW would have been better off signing Pods($2M) as our leadoff and saving around $6M

Also:
Rios should bat 1st w/ Pierre batting 8th and Teahen 9th
Jones should play 90% of the time

Soxfest
04-11-2010, 11:25 AM
Walker never should of been back in 2010!:angry::angry:

Rikirk
04-12-2010, 09:03 PM
So what one or two things would help our offense,...sure the pitching is good...but what do we do about power?

KnightSox
04-12-2010, 09:27 PM
I'm going to give it at least 30 games before something has to change.