PDA

View Full Version : Bring back Getz

LITTLE NELL
04-10-2010, 06:29 AM
I know its early but Teahan is not the answer at 3B. I for one was happy last year with Beckham at 3B and Getz at 2B, anyone in agreement.

DaveFeelsRight
04-10-2010, 07:28 AM
yes, 5 games into the season gives you the perfect amount of time to tell if a player is good or not.

DrCrawdad
04-10-2010, 08:00 AM
I know its early but Teahan is not the answer at 3B. I for one was happy last year with Beckham at 3B and Getz at 2B, anyone in agreement.

Overpaid for Teahen twice. First in the trade. Second in the contract.

doublem23
04-10-2010, 08:16 AM
Getz wouldn't help this mess. We need someone who can actually hit.

DrCrawdad
04-10-2010, 08:53 AM
Getz wouldn't help this mess. We need someone who can actually hit.

http://www.rotorob.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/mark_teahen.jpg
HUH?

:scratch:

doublem23
04-10-2010, 08:56 AM
http://www.rotorob.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/mark_teahen.jpg
HUH?

:scratch:

Neither Getz nor Teahen can hit the ball, so replacing one with the other or vice versa is just a lateral movement. If you want to improve this team, you need to add a nice, fat bat right in the middle of the order, not swap #9 hitters with the Royals again.

DrCrawdad
04-10-2010, 09:24 AM
Neither Getz nor Teahen can hit the ball, so replacing one with the other or vice versa is just a lateral movement. If you want to improve this team, you need to add a nice, fat bat right in the middle of the order, not swap #9 hitters with the Royals again.

I agree, but we not only swapped but then the Sox signed Teahen to a 3 year contract on top of it! I'd take Beckham at 3rd, Getz at 2nd over Teahen at 3rd, Beckham at 2nd any day.

Two for Teahen was bad. Three for Teahen was worse.

psyclonis
04-10-2010, 09:41 AM
If KW didn't trade Getz, just resigned Pods, and used the Teahen/Pierre money to sign Damon...
Would the Sox would be 4-0 right now?

I say yes. :gulp:

Frater Perdurabo
04-10-2010, 09:43 AM
At least Getz could make contact to make productive outs, and could steal bases exceptionally well. Teahen just strikes out and GIDPs in crucial situations. I could deal with Teahen's Ks and GIDPs if he also hit 35 homers and 35 doubles. But he doesn't.

DrCrawdad
04-10-2010, 09:50 AM
At least Getz could make contact to make productive outs, and could steal bases exceptionally well. Teahen just strikes out and GIDPs in crucial situations. I could deal with Teahen's Ks and GIDPs if he also hit 35 homers and 35 doubles. But he doesn't.

If Teahen could field his position above average I'd grant him some slack. Lousy defense, lousy offense and we'll be seeing him until 2013. Wonderful.

And I tell you what, I sure hope Teahen turns it around, QUICKLY, and someone can quote my comments here and point out how I was wrong. Please, I hope I'm proven wrong. Please.

SI1020
04-10-2010, 10:46 AM
If Teahen could field his position above average I'd grant him some slack. Lousy defense, lousy offense and we'll be seeing him until 2013. Wonderful.

And I tell you what, I sure hope Teahen turns it around, QUICKLY, and someone can quote my comments here and point out how I was wrong. Please, I hope I'm proven wrong. Please. Yes despite all the angry energy floating around this place we fans dearly want to be proven wrong not just about Teahen, but the entire team. Even those of us who are getting up at 4:AM because we're too dumb to manage a baseball team.

hawkjt
04-10-2010, 11:16 AM
I advocated for keeping Pods all last season and offseason,and many ridiculed him. How is figgins doing? He is making like 10 million,right?
Pods is making like 1.5 million? I will give Pierre a month or more to get it going, he is an over .300 hitter lifetime,but yes, I will be watching Pods results this year to see how he does...

BadBobbyJenks
04-10-2010, 11:32 AM
You know things are getting bad when people are wishing for Getz to come back. Please be big game Freddy today, please.

getonbckthr
04-10-2010, 11:42 AM
I want it on record, and you can look it up if you don't believe me, that I hated this trade from the moment it was rumored to be getting discussed.

Brian26
04-10-2010, 01:36 PM
I want it on record, and you can look it up if you don't believe me, that I hated this trade from the moment it was rumored to be getting discussed.

Were there actually rumors about this trade? I remember this one as coming absolutely out of nowhere.

soltrain21
04-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Or we could get a better third baseman than Teahen or a better second baseman than Beckham and move Beckham back to third.

Seriously - longing for Chris Getz? He was adequate, sure. Do you just hate change or something? It's Chris Getz.

Jiddy78
04-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Crede IMO.

fram40
04-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Were there actually rumors about this trade? I remember this one as coming absolutely out of nowhere.

didn't it take a day or two to be confirmed?

Put me in the group that prefers Getz/Beckham to Beckham/Teahen.

soltrain21
04-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Crede IMO.

Just because they once played here does not mean that it's a good idea to bring them back.

Hell, how about Herbert Perry or Jose Valentine?

DrCrawdad
04-10-2010, 07:41 PM
Or we could get a better third baseman than Teahen or a better second baseman than Beckham and move Beckham back to third.

Seriously - longing for Chris Getz? He was adequate, sure. Do you just hate change or something? It's Chris Getz.

It's not longing for Getz so much as the trade was a waste of players that could have been used as fodder for another deal first. Second, the player the Sox got - Teahen - can't hit or field his position. Third, the Sox signed Teahen to a 3 year contract, for no apparent reason and that is money out of the Sox budget that won't be used to improve the team.

It's not longing for Getz it's just a realization that the team was better with Beckham/Getz than Beckham/Teahen.

johnnyg83
04-10-2010, 07:49 PM
The contract extension is the vexing part of this. Why? Would Teahan be in big demand in free agency?

Don't we have Morel in the wings?

russ99
04-10-2010, 07:52 PM
It's not longing for Getz so much as the trade was a waste of players that could have been used as fodder for another deal first. Second, the player the Sox got - Teahen - can't hit or field his position. Third, the Sox signed Teahen to a 3 year contract, for no apparent reason and that is money out of the Sox budget that won't be used to improve the team.

It's not longing for Getz it's just a realization that the team was better with Beckham/Getz than Beckham/Teahen.

Again, Teahen wasn't signed for no apparent reason. But I guess some of you would rather have him be awarded $4M in an arbitration hearing instead of the $2.75M he's getting paid this year. Kenny tried to lock him in at a much lower rate.

Fields and Getz won't amount to much, and Teahen still has a chance to be a productive hitter despite his poor start. If defense is such an issue, switch him with Beckham. He played 2B most of the time in KC.

Jpgr91
04-10-2010, 07:58 PM
Kuzmanoff would have been a better option to Tehan.

DrCrawdad
04-10-2010, 07:59 PM
Again, Teahen wasn't signed for no apparent reason. But I guess some of you would rather have him be awarded $4M in an arbitration hearing instead of the $2.75M he's getting paid this year. Kenny tried to lock him in at a much lower rate.

Fields and Getz won't amount to much, and Teahen still has a chance to be a productive hitter despite his poor start. If defense is such an issue, switch him with Beckham. He played 2B most of the time in KC.

I'd rather not have Teahen at all. That said though, I hope Teahen has a great season and shows he knows how to play 3rd base.

Mr. Downtown
04-10-2010, 11:57 PM
I've posted on various threads here that I thought the trade was a bad one. Sorry, but there can be no doubt (and I know we're only a week into the season) that Beckham/Getz is better than Beckham/Teahen. The two of them could have been the mainstays for a long, long time. Getz stole his 3rd base tonight. Sure, he doesn't hit HR's, but so many little things that a championship team needs he brings to the table. He had a 10 pitch at-bat against Beckett tonight which ended with a hit, a stolen base, and a run scored. But he doesn't hit HR's. You folks need to learn the Game.

oeo
04-11-2010, 12:16 AM

Nope. We're a better team, offensively and defensively. Just give it time. Teahen has hit in his career, and at times, very well. Judging off of 10 AB's is beyond silly. And besides, despite only having 1 hit, he has a .375 OBP. It hasn't been ALL bad. Obviously it's magnified because the rest of the team isn't doing anything either.

thomas35forever
04-11-2010, 12:32 AM
If Getz comes back, it'll be as a utility player and nothing else. Good luck trying to break up this infield.

Mr. Downtown
04-11-2010, 12:40 AM
Getz isn't coming back so I'm not sure what your point is. The White Sox infield is bottom third major league. I didn't say bottom quarter or bottom fifth, but it is bottom third.

Corlose 15
04-11-2010, 12:53 AM
Nope. We're a better team, offensively and defensively. Just give it time. Teahen has hit in his career, and at times, very well. Judging off of 10 AB's is beyond silly. And besides, despite only having 1 hit, he has a .375 OBP. It hasn't been ALL bad. Obviously it's magnified because the rest of the team isn't doing anything either.

Pierre .150
Beckham .222
Quentin .267
Konerko .250
Kotsay .100
Vizquel .200
Rios .211
Pierzynski .211
Ramirez .158
Teahen .091

Yep, it's Teahens fault.

Mr. Downtown
04-11-2010, 01:04 AM
What's the point of your post?

The Sox aren't hitting. We get that.

I think the point of a lot of the posts was Teahen or Getz.....not whether or not the Sox are hitting.

Why are you a big fan of Teahen? Just curious.

Personally I think he's a marginal big league player. Why do you like him?

oeo
04-11-2010, 01:26 AM
What's the point of your post?

The Sox aren't hitting. We get that.

I think the point of a lot of the posts was Teahen or Getz.....not whether or not the Sox are hitting.

Why are you a big fan of Teahen? Just curious.

Personally I think he's a marginal big league player. Why do you like him?

The Sox not hitting has made Teahen's early season woes look worse than they actually are. Sure, he hasn't brought much to the table other than the ability to get on base, but he also only has 11 AB's. If the rest of the team was hitting, I don't really think Teahen would be a discussion. People would still be a bit concerned, but not asking for Getz back or asking for drastic change this early in the year.

I don't get this thread, to be honest. Teahen has a track record, and whether you like it or not, it's an okay to pretty good one. Getz does not, yet people would be more confident in him right now? This is a classic case of not knowing the new guy, much like Rios last year. Ignore what he's done in the past and if he's not doing anything right now, for the Sox, he obviously sucks. On the other side of that, if Teahen was tearing it up, people would be acting like KW is a ****ing god right now.

How about we let the season play out a bit?

Tragg
04-11-2010, 12:13 PM
Getz stole his 3rd base tonight. Sure, he doesn't hit HR's, but so many little things that a championship team needs he brings to the table. He had a 10 pitch at-bat against Beckett tonight which ended with a hit, a stolen base, and a run scored.
The thing is, those are the skills that the manager says he wants...at least the stolen base part is. But they send him on his way after 1 season. That's longer than Sweeney lasted. If you're you're a young position player but not a potential all star, the management seems to not want a thing to do with you.
If you're a veteran position player but no all star, you're embraced.
And the veteran mediocrity is paid 3 times as much as the young mediocrity. This club gave almost 2 mill to Cintron. What's Teahan making - $3 million for 3, per the new contract? that needs to be considered in him v. Getz.

Lip Man 1
04-11-2010, 12:31 PM
Tragg:

I think parts of the reason for what has taken place along these lines since Kenny took over are the following:

1. Kenny doesn't trust the minor league system or the possibility of success for minor league players in general. (And the numbers support that possible belief on both counts.)

2. Kenny realizes that Sox fans, even before the stakes were raised by winning a World Series, will not tolerate losing or mediocrity. They simply will not show up in the numbers needed by management to at least 'break even.' Because of those factors Kenny is put in a position where the franchise has to at least appear to 'contend' every year. So he tries to roll the dice, bring in recognizable names and hope they work out despite their limitations (injuries, slumps the past few years).

I have no direct evidence to either of the above points. It's just a general impression that I have after talking with people, interviewing them and so on.

Lip

CLUBHOUSE KID
04-11-2010, 12:39 PM
I would much rather have Getz...I mean he played like a few games in 2008 and a 2009 season but he was hurt a little. MUCH higher ceiling IMO...I would rather have the 2009 INF.

oeo
04-11-2010, 05:01 PM
The thing is, those are the skills that the manager says he wants...at least the stolen base part is. But they send him on his way after 1 season. That's longer than Sweeney lasted. If you're you're a young position player but not a potential all star, the management seems to not want a thing to do with you.
And the veteran mediocrity is paid 3 times as much as the young mediocrity. This club gave almost 2 mill to Cintron. What's Teahan making - $3 million for 3, per the new contract? that needs to be considered in him v. Getz.

How about the fact that Getz is nothing more than a singles hitter? Chris Getz is a utility talent that can only play second base. The Sox have a utility guy in the minors that is both a better hitter and can play multiple positions.

Why is Sweeney even being brought up? Getz is not the hitter or defender that Sweeney is. And ONCE AGAIN, the only reason Sweeney was dealt was because Kenny had to land his "big fish" after he struck out on Hunter, Fukudome, and Rowand.

I don't get why so many people hate Teahen. It's hilarious.

I would much rather have Getz...I mean he played like a few games in 2008 and a 2009 season but he was hurt a little. MUCH higher ceiling IMO...I would rather have the 2009 INF.

That's another negative about Getz: he can't stay healthy. He's always tweaking something. Also, Getz' ceiling will never match what Teahen has already done in his career.

WhiteSoxFTW
04-12-2010, 12:32 PM
If KW didn't trade Getz, just resigned Pods, and used the Teahen/Pierre money to sign Damon...
Would the Sox would be 4-0 right now?

I say yes. :gulp:

Hmmm...never thought about it that way.

I was a big Getz fan last year, and I didn't understand the Teahen trade. I know the White sox want Beckham to be the long-term 2b, and he fits better in that position, but Getz/Beckham does sit better with me than Teahen/Beckham.

Tragg:

I think parts of the reason for what has taken place along these lines since Kenny took over are the following:

1. Kenny doesn't trust the minor league system or the possibility of success for minor league players in general. (And the numbers support that possible belief on both counts.)

2. Kenny realizes that Sox fans, even before the stakes were raised by winning a World Series, will not tolerate losing or mediocrity. They simply will not show up in the numbers needed by management to at least 'break even.' Because of those factors Kenny is put in a position where the franchise has to at least appear to 'contend' every year. So he tries to roll the dice, bring in recognizable names and hope they work out despite their limitations (injuries, slumps the past few years).

I have no direct evidence to either of the above points. It's just a general impression that I have after talking with people, interviewing them and so on.

Lip
Very interesing Lip. I can definitely see that. It's an unfortunate neccessity for KW then if that is ultimately true. He has to do what he can to keep the gate numbers up, and if that means recognizable veterans over adequate up and comers, then it's what he has to do. Too bad he didn't make different decisions this offseason and signed Johnny Damon. That's a pretty recognizable name that would get casual fans attention.

KMcMahon817
04-12-2010, 01:47 PM

You should work on spelling his name right before you bash him.

Teahen has been a solid player in his career, and has a pretty high ceiling. The sample size is so small that this is a pointless conversation. You were probably calling for Beckham's head when he struggled in his first 20 abs with the sox. Teahen is halfway to that point, and he's already getting ripped on. Ridiculous.

harwar
04-12-2010, 03:57 PM
I watch the Royals quite a bit (not sure why) and Getz seems to always be on base .. i was one of the people surprised by the trade .. i guess that they really want Beckham at 2nd base .. also,Pods is on base even more i think .. if we're lucky, Teahen and Pierre will have career years ..

EnglishChiSox
04-12-2010, 04:05 PM
I watch the Royals quite a bit (not sure why) and Getz seems to always be on base .. i was one of the people surprised by the trade .. i guess that they really want Beckham at 2nd base .. also,Pods is on base even more i think .. if we're lucky, Teahen and Pierre will have career years ..

Pods has been hotter than a fast food apple pie today vs the Tigers, he's a bit streaky compared to JP. Pierre i believe has more left in here, resigning Pods would have left a big hole next winter.

Getz is a good player and i want him to succeed for KC but Beckham is just a better player.

doublem23
04-12-2010, 04:08 PM
Getz is a good player and i want him to succeed for KC but Beckham is just a better player.

Yeah but the question here is would you prefer Getz 2B/Beckham 3B or Beckham 2B/Teahen 3B? Ultimately, I don't think either Getz or Teahen are substantially better than the other, so it's all just talk. That contract extension for Teahen, though... Blegh.

DSpivack
04-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Yeah but the question here is would you prefer Getz 2B/Beckham 3B or Beckham 2B/Teahen 3B? Ultimately, I don't think either Getz or Teahen are substantially better than the other, so it's all just talk. That contract extension for Teahen, though... Blegh.

Didn't they just buy out his arb years, though? So he won't necessarily be here any longer than without that extension.

oeo
04-12-2010, 04:45 PM
One thing I don't think anyone has mentioned...when the Sox drafted Beckham, they obviously planned on him being the second baseman of the future. The only reason he was playing third base last year was due to necessity. So Getz had to go, whether you like him or not.

oeo
04-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Didn't they just buy out his arb years, though? So he won't necessarily be here any longer than without that extension.

He would have been a free agent after 2011, now he will be a free agent after 2012. They likely got him at a cheaper price tag than going through arbitration, too. The hate for Teahen is humorous.

doublem23
04-12-2010, 05:06 PM
He would have been a free agent after 2011, now he will be a free agent after 2012. They likely got him at a cheaper price tag than going through arbitration, too. The hate for Teahen is humorous.

Yeah, how can people not love a guy who can't hit and can't field? WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU FANS!!!

russ99
04-12-2010, 05:39 PM
Hmmm...never thought about it that way.

I was a big Getz fan last year, and I didn't understand the Teahen trade. I know the White sox want Beckham to be the long-term 2b, and he fits better in that position, but Getz/Beckham does sit better with me than Teahen/Beckham.

Very interesing Lip. I can definitely see that. It's an unfortunate neccessity for KW then if that is ultimately true. He has to do what he can to keep the gate numbers up, and if that means recognizable veterans over adequate up and comers, then it's what he has to do. Too bad he didn't make different decisions this offseason and signed Johnny Damon. That's a pretty recognizable name that would get casual fans attention.

Kenny tried to get Damon, he was priced out by Boras who was trying to drum up a 3-way bidding war between one bidder.

And Kenny tried twice to give prospects a chance to take a major role on the club, and those seasons are the two worst records the Sox have since he took over as GM.

Personally, I'm all with him there. I'd rather the Sox get experienced major leaguers than bring up prospects. Rebuilding is for suckers.

oeo
04-13-2010, 12:01 AM
Yeah, how can people not love a guy who can't hit and can't field? WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU FANS!!!

But he can hit for decent to good average, and is an average defender. You're not one to look at the facts, though. We're absolutely a better defensive team with Teahen-Beckham than Beckham-Getz. Beckham has already made a couple plays Getz would have no shot at, one of which was tonight against Wells a few pitches before Buck hit a 2-run bomb, and Teahen has been fine at third. The offense really won't even be close. Getz is a singles hitter, we already have Juan Pierre for that.

And it's not about "loving" him, it's about not "hating" him. There's really no need to hate him. He's not an All Star, but do we need him to be?

LITTLE NELL
04-13-2010, 08:02 AM

I do not hate Teahen but we gave up on Getz way too early, hell he was only a rookie last year.

Brian26
04-18-2010, 09:58 AM
Getz has been put on the DL again, this time the 15-day.

He's quite fragile, and this is one of the reasons the Sox traded him.

BringHomeDaBacon
04-18-2010, 11:47 AM
But he can hit for decent to good average, and is an average defender. You're not one to look at the facts, though. We're absolutely a better defensive team with Teahen-Beckham than Beckham-Getz. Beckham has already made a couple plays Getz would have no shot at, one of which was tonight against Wells a few pitches before Buck hit a 2-run bomb, and Teahen has been fine at third. The offense really won't even be close. Getz is a singles hitter, we already have Juan Pierre for that.

And it's not about "loving" him, it's about not "hating" him. There's really no need to hate him. He's not an All Star, but do we need him to be?

You want to look at facts? How about Teahen's career .268/.332/.419.

A far cry from "decent to good" especially from 3b.

This is not an endorsement of Getz but giving anything of value away be it prospects or a long term extension for a below average player was foolish.