PDA

View Full Version : When do we see Omar starting in the IF?

HomeFish
04-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Teahen is going to be hard to justify keeping in the starting 9 if this keeps up

Boondock Saint
04-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Teahen is going to be hard to justify keeping in the starting 9 if this keeps up

I'd rather see him playing SS. Alexei has been embarrassing.

Rdy2PlayBall
04-08-2010, 10:25 PM
I'd rather see him playing SS. Alexei has been embarrassing.This year? Really? He has two nice plays and a bad feed from Beckham... I've haven't really seen him do any thing wrong.

asindc
04-08-2010, 10:37 PM
When one of the three IF at 2B, SS, or 3B, all of whom are better than he is, need a break.

Boondock Saint
04-08-2010, 10:38 PM
This year? Really? He has two nice plays and a bad feed from Beckham... I've haven't really seen him do any thing wrong.

That .111 OBP doesn't help any. He's been atrocious at the plate.

Rdy2PlayBall
04-08-2010, 10:42 PM
That .111 OBP doesn't help any. He's been atrocious at the plate.I don't think Vizquel will be replacing Alexei for offense.

SOXfnNlansing
04-08-2010, 11:02 PM
Teahen really does suck. I was hoping that spring training was an abberation, but I think we'll be seeing #11 at 3rd base on the road trip. :(:

Domeshot17
04-08-2010, 11:14 PM
we just locked up Teahen to an extension on a whim. He is here to stay. Vizquel brings nothing to the team really but some leadership and knowledge. His job isn't to play baseball, but make Alexei and Gordon better.

voodoochile
04-08-2010, 11:33 PM
Ozzie said never... I just got off the phone with him...

He specifically told me to tell the posters at WSI that he loves to piss us off...

voodoochile
04-08-2010, 11:42 PM

:rolling:

TDog
04-09-2010, 12:03 AM
I don't think Vizquel will be replacing Alexei for offense.

Ramirez has looked better at short than Beckham has at second, especially in doubleplay situations. Vizquel hasn't been any kind of a hitter the last couple of seasons, although he did lead the National League in sacrifices a couple of seasons ago.

thomas35forever
04-09-2010, 12:35 AM
Here's an idea: play Vizquel at short when it's cold since we obviously can't expect anything out of Alexei in those conditions.

gobears1987
04-09-2010, 01:39 AM

He does this every April.

doublem23
04-09-2010, 07:26 AM

Vizquel is not the answer for our offensive woes.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-09-2010, 08:04 AM
I think you'll see Omar at 2nd soon. Beckham will have to be moved back to 3rd because Teahan can't get out of his own way offensively.

Yeah, I know, it's only 3 games, but Teahan's "struggled" all spring.....

russ99
04-09-2010, 09:50 AM
That alligator arm play at 3rd yesterday didn't especially endear Teahen with the fanbase...

If I know Ozzie, Omar will be starting on Sunday.

sox1970
04-09-2010, 10:00 AM
That alligator arm play at 3rd yesterday didn't especially endear Teahen with the fanbase...

If I know Ozzie, Omar will be starting on Sunday.

The Sunday lineup will be Saturday. Noon game tomorrow. I wouldn't be surprised if Lucy and Nix start tonight.

veeter
04-09-2010, 01:42 PM
Vizquel is not the answer for our offensive woes.Actually he may be. He could bat second and sacrifice his season away. Then move Gordon down to drive in runs.

doublem23
04-09-2010, 01:45 PM
Actually he may be. He could bat second and sacrifice his season away. Then move Gordon down to drive in runs.

You shouldn't be laying down sacrifice bunts with your #2 hitter. #9? Fine, it's usually stupid, but whatever. #2 hitters are supposed to hit the ball.

veeter
04-09-2010, 01:47 PM
You shouldn't be laying down sacrifice bunts with your #2 hitter. #9? Fine, it's usually stupid, but whatever. #2 hitters are supposed to hit the ball.So last night had to piss you off too.

doublem23
04-09-2010, 01:48 PM
So last night had to piss you off too.

Yes that was frustrating.

I may have mentioned a time or two around these parts that I'm not really that wild about the way this offense is constructed, so I'm not really going to blow a gasket over it at this point. Wouldn't accomplish anything. Just gotta shake your head and hope for better tomorrow. But Ozzie specifically moving a guy who can't hit into the #2 slot just in case he needs to lay down a sacrifice bunt might set the bar even lower for his decision-making process.

veeter
04-09-2010, 01:50 PM
So is Ozzie just off to a bad start, or did he really think he was doing the right thing?

PorkChopExpress
04-09-2010, 01:53 PM
You shouldn't be laying down sacrifice bunts with your #2 hitter. #9? Fine, it's usually stupid, but whatever. #2 hitters are supposed to hit the ball.

How many RBI's did Sizemore get in the #2 hole this series? Why? Because Acta let him swing the bat because he is a good hitter. The announcers continually said that is why the Indians wanted to get Sizemore in the #2 hole, to give him a chance to swing the bat with runners on. I get very frsutrated with Ozzie sometimes, too. He sits there and watches other teams do things that work, but continues to stick to his way of doing things that doesn't work. And because of that he is predictable and other teams can use that to their advantage. They know when we are bunting and can adjust their defense accordingly. It would be nice to keep them on their toes once in a while.

doublem23
04-09-2010, 01:58 PM
How many RBI's did Sizemore get in the #2 hole this series? Why? Because Acta let him swing the bat because he is a good hitter. The announcers continually said that is why the Indians wanted to get Sizemore in the #2 hole, to give him a chance to swing the bat with runners on. I get very frsutrated with Ozzie sometimes, too. He sits there and watches other teams do things that work, but continues to stick to his way of doing things that doesn't work. And because of that he is predictable and other teams can use that to their advantage. They know when we are bunting and can adjust their defense accordingly. It would be nice to keep them on their toes once in a while.

The problem appears that, on top of being one of our best hitters, Bacon might be the best bunter on the team, too. What a pickle!

veeter
04-09-2010, 02:02 PM
How many RBI's did Sizemore get in the #2 hole this series? Why? Because Acta let him swing the bat because he is a good hitter. The announcers continually said that is why the Indians wanted to get Sizemore in the #2 hole, to give him a chance to swing the bat with runners on. I get very frsutrated with Ozzie sometimes, too. He sits there and watches other teams do things that work, but continues to stick to his way of doing things that doesn't work. And because of that he is predictable and other teams can use that to their advantage. They know when we are bunting and can adjust their defense accordingly. It would be nice to keep them on their toes once in a while.There are instances when the two hole guy has a job to do. But you have to know your personnel. Tadahito was masterful working with Pods on hit and runs, hitting the ball to the right side, and so forth. The funny thing is Ozzie seemingly never asked Iguchi to give himself up with a bunt. Now you've got a star in the making in Gordon, a better hitter than Iguchi, and Ozzie's sacrifcing him. It makes no sense.

TDog
04-09-2010, 02:50 PM
The problem appears that, on top of being one of our best hitters, Bacon might be the best bunter on the team, too. What a pickle!

Bechham is not close to being the best bunter on the team. He was taught how to bunt by Jeff Cox at the major league level, having never bunted in college or competitively before that ever in his life and having spent little time in the minors. The same applies to Ramirez, who had never bunted in Cuba and never spent any time in the minors. Beckham wasn't a good bunter last year, and you can see he has worked hard to make himself a good bunter. Ramirez's bunting improved last year to the point he could be counted on to get a sacrifice down.

Kotsay has always been a pretty good bunter, but he wasn't a double-digit sacrifice guy when he .300 for the A's, who bunt a lot. He was bunting when he was hitting over .290 and one of the top batting-average hitters in his lineup in Florida, San Diego and Oakland. But clearly the best bunter on the team is Vizquel, who led the AL in sacrifice bunts a couple of times when he was batting second for the Indians in the 1990s. He also led the AL in sacrifices with 20 in his last season with the Indians before leading the NL in sacrifices with 20 the next season.

Vizquel also is the hitter you want up if you call a suicide squeeze because he has been there many times before and has the best chance at adjusting to a pitchout. Vizquel has at least a dozen successful squeezes in his career. I don't believe Kotsay has any. I don't know if he failed in an attempt that would have won a game, as did the man the White Sox traded for him.

doublem23
04-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Dude laid down two pretty nice ones, if he's not the best bunter on this team, he's at least in top 3-5.

TDog
04-09-2010, 03:23 PM
Dude laid down two pretty nice ones, if he's not the best bunter on this team, he's at least in top 3-5.

No question Beckham is in the top quarter of bunters among Sox offensive players. The players I mentioned in my post are probably the ones who would be most trusted in a sacrifice situation. And while Pierre works a lot on his bunting, I wouldn't trust him to sacrifice. Beckham has worked hard on his bunting, as Ramirez did last year. Obviously, he wouldn't have worked so hard on his bunting if he were pegged as a cleanup hitter.

WhiteSoxFTW
04-09-2010, 04:11 PM
You will get your first look at him tonight.