PDA

View Full Version : How sad is the Nationals Organization?

y2j2785
04-08-2010, 10:11 AM
I know this has been talked about before but let's just recap what this organization has done recently and what's the newest thing they've done.

The "Natinals"
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/04/nationals_uniform_fail.html

Teddy Rossvelt
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/05/nationals_bobblehead_fail.html?wprss=dcsportsbog

Fans Get Involved in the Game
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/05/nationals_tarp_fail.html

That's Not My Name
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/05/nats_bats_also_feature_spellin.html

Exploding Sausages
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/05/nats_sausage_fail.html

And the latest installment: Phillies fans get offered chance to buy tickets before Nationals fans do.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/The-Phillies-fan-invasion-was-orchestrated-by-th?urn=mlb,232653

I feel bad for their fans. I don't think the excuse that offering tickets to Phillies fans first will help pay for Stephen Strasburg's contract will be bought by any Nationals fans.

munchman33
04-08-2010, 10:15 AM
I feel bad for their fans. I don't think the excuse that offering tickets to Phillies fans first will help pay for Stephen Strasburg's contract will be bought by any Nationals fans.

Seems to me that any team would be caught in that kind of a situation. Group plans are always offered first, and callbacks are always made when sales are down.

y2j2785
04-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Seems to me that any team would be caught in that kind of a situation. Group plans are always offered first, and callbacks are always made when sales are down.

It's just being talked about because of the past incidents that the Nationals have had. I understand that group packages are offered first, but the fact that the Nationals actually called Phillies Fan Nation personally and offered them tickets is what really gets me. I don't see teams like the White Sox calling up a huge Cubs fan group and offering them tickets...at least I'd hope not.

asindc
04-08-2010, 10:27 AM
There are several threads on the latest topic ongoing at wnff.net. The most prominent thread can be found here:

http://www.wnff.net/index.php/topic,17106.100.html

The hardcore fans (yes, there are some) are quite pissed about this, especially since it happened last year on OD as well. The owners, the Lerner family, have not been popular ever since MLB chose them over another ownership group that included many popular locals, including Calvin Hill (that's Grant Hill's dad for the younger amongst us). Many people, including myself, feared that the Lerners would focus on the business side to the detriment of the on-the-field product (sound familiar?). Unfortunately, we have not been proven wrong.

The two OD fiascos in consecutive years have Nats fans boiling mad, and are just part of the disturbing characteristics that Lerners have exhibited during their ownership tenure. While there have been "takeovers" of parks/stadiums by visting teams' fans against other teams throughout sports over the years, the galling thing about this OD is that the Lerners heard from their fan base on this issue last year and apparently nothing was done about it. The result is that you have probably the worst fan base in the NL descending on your OD and booing your best player when he is presented the Silver Slugger and Gold Glove awards. There is really no excuse for that.

asindc
04-08-2010, 10:30 AM
It's just being talked about because of the past incidents that the Nationals have had. I understand that group packages are offered first, but the fact that the Nationals actually called Phillies Fan Nation personally and offered them tickets is what really gets me. I don't see teams like the White Sox calling up a huge Cubs fan group and offering them tickets...at least I'd hope not.

Exactly. One poster in the thread I linked to in my previous post said that the Philly fans were accommodated with private space to set up tailgating, which generally is not allowed around Nats Park. This was a concerted, deliberate effort to bring Philly fans down from Philly on OD, of all games. Some Nats fans understand it to some extent, but the fact that it was OD is what has most of them pissed.

asindc
04-08-2010, 10:38 AM
I will add that part of the frustration Nats fans feel, especially those who grew up in the National Capital area and have rooted for the local teams all their lives, is that they have also seen this with the Wizards and Caps to some extent over the years. It is the nature of growing up in the nation's capital where you have transplants from all over the country. They understand to a point that if the local team is lousy, then they leave themselves vunerable to something like this, especially from Philly, NY, Boston, and Pittsburgh fans. But the fact that management deliberately encouraged this on OD is what is eating at them.

By the way, I went to a Nats-Cubs game here a couple of seasons ago. There were quite a few Sox fans in attendance who wore both Sox and Nats gear, just as I did. A few Nats fans told me that they appreciated that.

munchman33
04-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Exactly. One poster in the thread I linked to in my previous post said that the Philly fans were accommodated with private space to set up tailgating, which generally is not allowed around Nats Park. This was a concerted, deliberate effort to bring Philly fans down from Philly on OD, of all games. Some Nats fans understand it to some extent, but the fact that it was OD is what has most of them pissed.

Yes, but if season ticket sales were higher, the Nats wouldn't have to reach out to previous group ticket buyers. You don't even know this particular group was high on their list. It could have been the last group they called.

asindc
04-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Yes, but if season ticket sales were higher, the Nats wouldn't have to reach out to previous group ticket buyers. You don't even know this particular group was high on their list. It could have been the last group they called.

If you took a few minutes to read the thread I linked to, you will realize that it was more than that. Some Philly fans were given the opportunity to buy tickets before they were released to the general public here. Of course, my favorite saying in all of sports is "Winning Cures All," but to forsake your own fan base and invite the opposing fans to OD before many of your own had access to tickets is inexcusable.

munchman33
04-08-2010, 12:07 PM
If you took a few minutes to read the thread I linked to, you will realize that it was more than that. Some Philly fans were given the opportunity to buy tickets before they were released to the general public here. Of course, my favorite saying in all of sports is "Winning Cures All," but to forsake your own fan base and invite the opposing fans to OD before many of your own had access to tickets is inexcusable.

I read the article. And, like I said before, this is not an uncommon practice. The Nationals are not going to hold 75% of their tickets for general purchase, they are going to cater to the groups that bring in guaranteed numbers first. There is a threshold that they will hold to keep tickets open for single game purchases, but my instinct tells me that selling to a large group of phillie fans has more to do with not being anywhere near that threshold by the time that groups name came up.

Moses_Scurry
04-08-2010, 01:18 PM
I wish they were still the Expos.

ewokpelts
04-08-2010, 01:32 PM
sox sell group tickets for OD, as well as cubs/sox. difference is that cubs/sox games you need to buy additional groups.

asindc
04-08-2010, 01:34 PM
I wish they were still the Expos.

You and about 5,000 Montreal residents, total.

DSpivack
04-08-2010, 01:44 PM

That franchise was run into the ground. With more committed ownership, I definitely think they could have survived there.

Marqhead
04-08-2010, 02:03 PM
That franchise was run into the ground. With more committed ownership, I definitely think they could have survived there.

In a city of 4 million I sure hope so. The way they throw their support behind the Habs (yes I know it's Canada and hockey) it's too bad they couldn't make it. I guess that's what terrible ownership and trading away fan favorites as soon as they get good/expensive will do.

munchman33
04-08-2010, 02:08 PM

:rolling:

NDSox12
04-08-2010, 06:24 PM
I was at the game Nats game on Monday. It was a pretty disappointing situation that would have really had me riled up if I were a true Nats fan. I'm a partial season ticket holder (21 game plan). Since full and half season ticket holders get their regular seats for Opening Day, I was relegated to slightly worse seats in right field, as opposed to my normal seats in left. My section was probably 85% Phillies fans, and I suspect many of them were from those group ticket sales.

I have no proof of this, but I suspect those group ticket purchasers got seating priority even over me, a partial season ticket holder. I was in the 11th row, so there were 10 rows of almost all Phillies fans in front of me. I doubt many of them purchased their tickets off of other Nats season ticket holders, so it is pretty safe to assume they assigned me an Opening Day seat after many of those group ticket sales were made. You'd think they would take care of their own first, but no.

I have a long list of complaints with the Nationals organization. They are lucky I'm such a huge baseball fan, or they would have lost my business years ago.

I look forward to rooting against them for the first time ever this June when the Sox come to town!

WhiteSox5187
04-08-2010, 07:34 PM

Indeed, they were actually one of the more successful teams of the 1980s and early 1990s, what killed them was the strike and then Loria coming in and doing everything possible to destroy that franchise.

gobears1987
04-09-2010, 12:34 AM

Yep, by the same moron who is destroying the Marlins. Loria is a disgrace and should be kicked out of baseball.

ewokpelts
04-09-2010, 07:55 AM
Yep, by the same moron who is destroying the Marlins. Loria is a disgrace and should be kicked out of baseball.loria has a ring AND a new stadium. must be doing something right