PDA

View Full Version : Soriano may get bonus!

ohiosoxfan
04-07-2010, 03:16 PM
Just was perusing an interesting site that spells out a lot of big league contracts (mlbcontracts.blogspot.com) and found a tidbit that some would find amusing. Alfonso Soriano is in line for a $75,000 bonus if he captures a Gold Glove during his illustrious contract with the Cubbies. His agent is obviously very wise.

spawn
04-07-2010, 03:20 PM
:whocares

Rohan
04-07-2010, 03:56 PM
Just was perusing an interesting site that spells out a lot of big league contracts (mlbcontracts.blogspot.com) and found a tidbit that some would find amusing. Alfonso Soriano is in line for a $75,000 bonus if he captures a Gold Glove during his illustrious contract with the Cubbies. His agent is obviously very wise.

:whocares

According to the original poster, some people care. It's just an example of Cubs shenanigans - So I guess he posted it in the right spot.

spawn
04-07-2010, 04:03 PM
According to the original poster, some people care. It's just an example of Cubs shenanigans - So I guess he posted it in the right spot.
And how is offering a bouns for a player if he wins a Gold Glove shenanignas? There are players on other teams that have that in their contracts, along with bonuses for being named to the All-Star team. Sorry if I don't care that he won't ever get that $75,000, as he will never win a Gold Glove. :shrug:

whitem0nkey
04-07-2010, 04:06 PM
does anything change around here?

oeo
04-07-2010, 04:12 PM
I'm pretty sure most, if not all, contracts have these types of bonuses, even if there's no shot at getting it. For instance, a middle reliever winning the MVP.

DSpivack
04-07-2010, 04:14 PM
And how is offering a bouns for a player if he wins a Gold Glove shenanignas? There are players on other teams that have that in their contracts, along with bonuses for being named to the All-Star team. Sorry if I don't care that he won't ever get that $75,000, as he will never win a Gold Glove. :shrug:

No kidding, unattainable clauses are fairly common in MLB contracts.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Give him a bonus for hopping like a little bitch before he catches a ball and he'd be a rich, yet hobbled, left fielder.

Rohan
04-07-2010, 04:20 PM

I understand it's pretty common for players to have contractual bonuses for achievements. I wasn't terribly intrigued by it either. I just think that the original poster is pointing out how silly it is for them to have even slated such an achievement in Soriano's contract in the first place. Some people may find that humorous as well.

If no one cares, then no one will post, and the thread will drop in its listed order. I thought that we operate on the general guideline that if you don't care about a topic, then don't read/post in it? :dunno:

pythons007
04-07-2010, 05:07 PM
That would kind of suck if he won a gold glove but didn't get a bonus. I would think that all major league contracts have these tied into them. Pitchers would have Cy Young, MVP, Gold Glove, All-Star Game, All-Star Game MVP, Divisional MVP, CLS MVP, WS MVP. Hitters would have, silver slugger, triple crown, all-star, all-star mvp and all the others...

CLUBHOUSE KID
04-07-2010, 11:20 PM
Give him a bonus for hopping like a little bitch before he catches a ball and he'd be a rich, yet hobbled, left fielder.

lol very true!

CLUBHOUSE KID
04-07-2010, 11:20 PM
if no one cares, then no one will post, and the thread will drop in its listed order. I thought that we operate on the general guideline that if you don't care about a topic, then don't read/post in it? :dunno:

This...

spawn
04-08-2010, 06:57 AM
If no one cares, then no one will post, and the thread will drop in its listed order. I thought that we operate on the general guideline that if you don't care about a topic, then don't read/post in it? :dunno:
Sorry, I didn't know I wasn't allowed to respond to silly threads. My bad. :rolleyes:

If you start a thread trying to ridicule the team on the north side for something that every team in MLB does, expect to get this type of response. Cub fans already think Sox fans are obsessed and jealous of them. Threads like this do nothing to disuade that line of thought.

DumpJerry
04-08-2010, 07:15 AM
I have a clause in my contract that pays me a $80,000 bonus if I win a Gold Glove. I think it is very reasonable and not at all ridiculous.

white sox bill
04-08-2010, 07:24 AM
Isn't this like Tiger Woods getting a bonus if he wins the "Family man of the year" award? I would think the sun setting in the East tonight would have better odds.

asindc
04-08-2010, 07:59 AM
... and in other news, a dog has bitten a man. More details to follow.

Sorry, I didn't know I wasn't allowed to respond to silly threads. My bad. :rolleyes:

If you start a thread trying to ridicule the team on the north side for something that every team in MLB does, expect to get this type of response. Cub fans already think Sox fans are obsessed and jealous of them. Threads like this does nothing to disuade that line of thought.

This.

downstairs
04-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Oh, it makes sense to me. Think about it from the player's perspective. He's not known, say, as a typical MVP candidate. Or Gold Glover. So he's not paid for that type of achievement.

But what if he has a stunning breakout year and all the stars align, and he gets the award (its happened)... he'd want to ensure he's paid for that achievement.

doublem23
04-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Scott Linebrink has an incentive clause in his contract if he wins the Cy Young Award.

They're pretty common for most veterans.

GoGoCrede
04-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Scott Linebrink has an incentive clause in his contract if he wins the Cy Young Award.

*snort*

doublem23
04-08-2010, 01:28 PM
*snort*

Bingo.

DumpJerry
04-08-2010, 02:23 PM

:Linebrink:
Money is a running dog capitalist tool used to keep the proletariat down. I will not participate in such repression of the people.

oeo
04-08-2010, 02:30 PM

And even one for winning the MVP.

BadBobbyJenks
04-08-2010, 05:24 PM
*snort*

You snorted!

TDog
04-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Such contract incentives are common. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a DH who has a Gold Glove incentive in his contract. Certainly there are plenty of MVP and Cy Young incentives for players who you would think would have no shot at such awards.

Really, a Gold Glove incentive for Soriano sounds like something the Cubs would have or should have requested during negotiations to inspire Soriano to improve his defense.