PDA

View Full Version : Predictions for lineup on 4-7 (Carmona vs. Peavy)

guillen4life13
04-07-2010, 02:26 AM
I'm predicting the following:

LF Pierre
2B Beckham
RF Quentin
1B Konerko
CF Rios
C Pierzynski
DH Jones
3B Teahen
SS Ramirez

P Peavy

I think Ozzie is going to think about putting Rios in at the 5th spot after the hard hit balls he had against Westbrook and the relative success Beckham, Q and Konerko had. I think Andruw Jones will get the call because, even though Kotsay got two runs home, he was still relatively ineffective, and there's no harm in seeing how Jones will do against Carmona.

Here's hoping for another shoddy day from Jndians pitching. :gulp:

Edit: when the lineup is announced, I suppose this thread can either be merged with the lineup thread or can be deleted. I kind of have fun trying to predict what OG will do.

BadBobbyJenks
04-07-2010, 02:41 AM
I would doubt he changes anything from the opener actually.

35th and Shields
04-07-2010, 02:55 AM
I would doubt he changes anything from the opener actually.

As he shouldn't. Although I'm guessing he'll but Jones out there but who knows.

JohnTucker0814
04-07-2010, 09:13 AM
1. LF Pierre
2. 2b Beckham
3. DH Quentin
4. 1b Konerko
5. RF Rios
6. C Pierzynski
7. CF Jones
8. 3b Teahen
9. SS Ramirez

I say Jones starts and Q is put at DH because of the wet field.

Craig Grebeck
04-07-2010, 09:17 AM
God help us if he actually displaces Rios like that.

(RF)

Tinker, tinker, tinker.

asindc
04-07-2010, 09:28 AM
This is not a prediction of today's lineup, but just what I eventually hope to see this year. I would like to see Rios produce at least a .900 OPS (something he has yet to do, I know, but one can hope) so that he can hit 3rd in the order. The lineup would look like this:

1. LF Pierre
2. 2B Beckham
3. CF Rios
4. RF Quentin
5. 1B Konerko
6. C Pierzynski
7. DH Jones
8. 3B Teahen
9. SS Ramirez

BTW, I see no need to put Jones in CF this early in the season. I would prefer that Jones get spot starts in CF when Rios is resting or DHing. Otherwise, he should be full time DH, IMO.

Craig Grebeck
04-07-2010, 09:33 AM
This is not a prediction of today's lineup, but just what I eventually hope to see this year. I would like to see Rios produce at least a .900 OPS (something he has yet to do, I know, but one can hope) so that he can hit 3rd in the order. The lineup would look like this:

1. LF Pierre
2. 2B Beckham
3. CF Rios
4. RF Quentin
5. 1B Konerko
6. C Pierzynski
7. CF Jones
8. 3B Teahen
9. SS Ramirez

BTW, I see no need to put Jones in CF this early in the season. I would prefer that Jones get spot starts in CF when Rios is resting or DHing. Otherwise, he should be full time DH, IMO.
Word.

Marqhead
04-07-2010, 09:54 AM

And yet you have him in CF in that lineup. Dual CFs! :cool:

The Immigrant
04-07-2010, 10:04 AM
This is not a prediction of today's lineup, but just what I eventually hope to see this year. I would like to see Rios produce at least a .900 OPS (something he has yet to do, I know, but one can hope) so that he can hit 3rd in the order.

Last year there were barely 10 guys in the entire AL with OPS above .900. I don't think you'll ever see Rios in that category over a full season.

doublem23
04-07-2010, 10:04 AM
And yet you have him in CF in that lineup. Dual CFs! :cool:

And here I thought we were done with teams built like a softball team.

:neener:

asindc
04-07-2010, 10:13 AM
Last year there were barely 10 guys in the entire AL with OPS above .900. I don't think you'll ever see Rios in that category over a full season.

Point well taken. If he matches his best season, .865, then that will also work. The point is that if he plays as well as he is capable, I would like to see him batting 3rd.

Dibbs
04-07-2010, 10:22 AM
I would imagine Ozzie will put out the same lineup, with Kotsay batting fifth. Every year he seems to have a pet that he misuses.

Marqhead
04-07-2010, 10:23 AM
And here I thought we were done with teams built like a softball team.

:neener:

Maybe the MLB will allow us to play with 16" co-ed rec league rules. If the pitcher walks the hitter in front of Jones/Kotsay, Jonesay has the option of taking an automatic walk.

UofCSoxFan
04-07-2010, 10:56 AM
I would imagine Ozzie will put out the same lineup, with Kotsay batting fifth. Every year he seems to have a pet that he misuses.

Let's calm down before we assume a) Kotsay will be bad and b) Ozzie will misuse him. I think Kotsay should start against Carmona, who actually is a lot tougher against righties than lefties.

I wouldn't be suprised at all if the Sox are in contention in June or July (which they will be) if the Sox pick a bonified everyday DH. Until then, I can live with Jones/Kotsay.

russ99
04-07-2010, 11:16 AM

1. LF Pierre
2. 2B Beckham
3. CF Rios
4. RF Quentin
5. 1B Konerko
6. C Pierzynski
7. DH Jones
8. 3B Teahen
9. SS Ramirez

I'd rather see Kotsay in the 3 spot. Also, A.J. or Alexei (after May 1st) in the 2 spot with Bacon moving to 3.

Overall, I prefer Carlos in the 4 spot, Paul in the 5 spot and Alex 6th. Whatever Ozzie needs to do to keep the run producers together would be preferred.

Rios would be more comfortable and likely produce more at 6. Putting him 3rd puts more pressure on him.

Craig Grebeck
04-07-2010, 11:18 AM
I'd rather see Kotsay in the 3 spot. Also, A.J. or Alexei in the 2 spot with Bacon moving to 3.

Overall, I prefer Carlos in the 4 spot, Paul in the 5 spot and Alex 6th. Whatever Ozzie needs to do to keep that intact would be preferred.
Good ****ing lord what are you talking about? Is Kotsay better than Rios?

russ99
04-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Good ****ing lord what are you talking about? Is Kotsay better than Rios?

No, we need Rios after the sluggers. See the rest of my post.

If you want to overreact about Kotsay after one game, have fun with that...

Dibbs
04-07-2010, 11:25 AM
I'd rather see Kotsay in the 3 spot

I'm speechless. I am guessing this is a joke, I am writing it down in my diary. Russ99 had a very funny joke today.

DirtySox
04-07-2010, 11:28 AM
I'd rather see Kotsay in the 3 spot. Also, A.J. or Alexei (after May 1st) in the 2 spot with Bacon moving to 3.

Overall, I prefer Carlos in the 4 spot, Paul in the 5 spot and Alex 6th. Whatever Ozzie needs to do to keep the run producers together would be preferred.

Rios would be more comfortable and likely produce more at 6. Putting him 3rd puts more pressure on him.

This suggestion surely deserves a :puking:.

asindc
04-07-2010, 11:32 AM

While I would love to see Kotsay hit well enough to be our #3 hitter (how awesome would that be?), I think it is much more likely that Rios will hit that well and that Jones will out-produce Kotsay to the point that Kotsay is better suited as a super-sub. In my ideal lineup, our best hitters are bunched together from 2 to 6 (2 to 7 if Jones has a resurgence). The only major bat in our lineup who would not be in that bunch is Alexei at 9, which I am fine with because it groups him with Pierre and Beckham for a 9-1-2 speed setup for the 3-4-5-6 hitters. If Rios plays to potential, I like him in the 3 spot more than in the 5 or 6 spot because of his speed, and when he is locked in he is a line-drive machine. I would rather see AJ and Jones interchange between 6 and 7 depending on the pitching matchups and whoever else is in the lineup that day.

russ99
04-07-2010, 11:58 AM
I'm speechless. I am guessing this is a joke, I am writing it down in my diary. Russ99 had a very funny joke today.

Just saying. If we assume Jones can hit close to his average level with a good number of at-bats, why can't Kotsay?

Who else on the team would you move to the third spot while keeping Rios at 6th, where he can drive runs in?

jabrch
04-07-2010, 12:11 PM
If you randomly draw your lineup, the net results don't project to be significantly worse than if you do it using any signle approach to optimizing it. I can't believe how silly people get about this ****. There is no right and wrong answer. And you are talking about a percentage or a percent of your possible PAs.

For ****'s sake gang - stop pencil****ing this thing. Enjoy the game without worrying about nitpicking **** that, at the end of the day, has a small chance of amounting to a hill of beans.

Everyone enjoys things differently I guess. If this is how some of you enjoy the game, I guess to each their own. But ya'all seem so miserable about what might amount to absolutely nothing...

doublem23
04-07-2010, 12:14 PM
I am sorry that some people have their own opinions and like talking about them instead of being Ozzie/KW zombie drones.

jabrch
04-07-2010, 12:17 PM
I am sorry that some people have their own opinions

Having opinions - great
Thinking they are facts - ignorant
Telling everyone that they are facts - bragging of said ignorance

and like talking about them instead of being Ozzie/KW zombie drones.

When you find them, let me know. I'm just not sure I am (baseball) smarter than OG/KW are.

ShoelessJoeS
04-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Looks like Kotsay should be in there today, and maybe Jones in CF instead of Rios.

CARMONA VS. WHITE SOX
Mark Teahen: 10-for-27, .370, 2 RBI
A.J. Pierzynski: 6-for-16, .375, 1 RBI
Alex Rios: 2-for-14, .143
Mark Kotsay: 3-for-7, .429, 1 RBI
Paul Konerko: 3-for-7, .429, 1 HR, 3 RBI
Alexei Ramirez: 1-for-5, .200

jabrch
04-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Looks like Kotsay should be in there today, and maybe Jones in CF instead of Rios.

CARMONA VS. WHITE SOX
Mark Teahen: 10-for-27, .370, 2 RBI
A.J. Pierzynski: 6-for-16, .375, 1 RBI
Alex Rios: 2-for-14, .143
Mark Kotsay: 3-for-7, .429, 1 RBI
Paul Konerko: 3-for-7, .429, 1 HR, 3 RBI
Alexei Ramirez: 1-for-5, .200

Those sample sizes are awful thin to draw conclusions. Even the biggest one (27 ABs) is still thin. I wouldn't draw conclusions based on it. I wouldn't bench Rios after a great opening day both at the dish and with the glove for Jones. Kotsay/Jones...toss up in my eyes until one proves to be better than the other.

NLaloosh
04-07-2010, 01:44 PM
I saw the history,too.

I expect Ozzie to use the opening day lineup.

If not, then Jones is in. Who sits ? Rios or Kotsay?

I can't see the point in "resting" Rios. The guy's young, has proven that he can play 160 games and he's playing well.

Either keep the same lineup or put Jones in RF and DH Carlos due to the wet turf. That's what I would do.

Jim Shorts
04-07-2010, 01:50 PM
I could see Ozzie giving Alexei the day off with the cold and rain.

I could also see Ozzie DHing TCQ with the sloppy field.

I'm guessing Andruw Jones gets to play tonight as reward for the spring and to prove himself.

hawkjt
04-07-2010, 02:02 PM
Tonites lineup is a true crapshoot considering the extenuating circumstances:

1. Weather...cold and wet...Ozzie could opt to protect older or injury prone players ...like Carlos,or Jones, or Kotsay,or even PK.

2. 2nd game of the season and the desire to get everyone some game action early in the season...

3. Ozzie has many options this year,and he loves to tinker.

4. Ozzie might want to go with the lineup that just gives the Sox the best chance to win vs reported toughie Carmona.

Kotsay could end up in right field and Carlos DH to protect Carlos.
I think he will have all the lefties in the lineup vs Carmona.

DirtySox
04-07-2010, 02:34 PM
InsideTheSox (http://twitter.com/InsideTheSox)
#WhiteSox (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23WhiteSox) vs. Cle: Pierre7, Beckham4, Quentin9, PK3, Kotsaydh, Rios8, AJ2, Teahen5, Ramirez6. Peavy pitching.

Jim Shorts
04-07-2010, 02:50 PM
InsideTheSox (http://twitter.com/InsideTheSox)
#WhiteSox (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23WhiteSox) vs. Cle: Pierre7, Beckham4, Quentin9, PK3, Kotsaydh, Rios8, AJ2, Teahen5, Ramirez6. Peavy pitching.

Craig, Dibbs and Bobby have gasoline for another day...

Craig Grebeck
04-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Why are we worried about bunching righties? Rios, Quentin, Konerko and Beckham will be fine against RHP. Kotsay? Doubt it.

Jim Shorts
04-07-2010, 02:56 PM
It's been noted, you think Kotsay is hot garbage. Your point is out there on the internets and it's pretty clear.

Craig Grebeck
04-07-2010, 03:11 PM
It's been noted, you think Kotsay is hot garbage. Your point is out there on the internets and it's pretty clear.
Or I think focusing too much on R-L-R-L will result in putting hot garbage instead of talent (say, Alex Rios) in a spot reserved for the latter.