PDA

View Full Version : Does Ozzie plan on using A. Jones against RH's at all?

tm1119
04-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Obviously none of you are in Ozzie's head(probably a good thing), but did Ozzie state in any interviews exactly how he plans to do this DH platoon? Is he really going to do it strictly RH/LH with Kotsay and Jones? I think it would be a shame to not give Andruw some more AB's based on the work and performance he put in over the winter and spring.

oeo
04-05-2010, 10:08 PM
It's all going to depend on how each one performs. If one of them steps up, they're going to get the bulk of the AB's.

tm1119
04-05-2010, 10:17 PM
I understand that, but its going to take a little while for either of them to be established as having a hot bat or under performing. So until one is able to establish themselves will it be a RH/LH thing or just whatever Ozzie says that day? I was just wondering if Ozzie stated this or not.

jabrch
04-05-2010, 10:40 PM
What Ozzie plans is not something we will likely find out about until it happens - or until he wants us to know.

oeo
04-05-2010, 10:46 PM
I understand that, but its going to take a little while for either of them to be established as having a hot bat or under performing. So until one is able to establish themselves will it be a RH/LH thing or just whatever Ozzie says that day? I was just wondering if Ozzie stated this or not.

Probably whatever Ozzie says. I wouldn't be surprised if Jones started tomorrow.

SephClone89
04-05-2010, 11:15 PM
Probably whatever Ozzie says. I wouldn't be surprised if Jones started tomorrow.

I would be. :tongue:

DSpivack
04-05-2010, 11:15 PM

He'd be pretty lonely in the park if he did. :tongue:

GoGoCrede
04-05-2010, 11:16 PM
He'd be pretty lonely in the park if he did. :tongue:

He's used to it. He showed up to ST a day early because he got the days mixed up. :cool:

DSpivack
04-05-2010, 11:16 PM
He's used to it. He showed up to ST a day early because he got the days mixed up. :cool:

Haha, I forgot about that.

SephClone89
04-05-2010, 11:31 PM

Didn't he show up like half a week early, actually? I think he reported the same day as pitchers and catchers.

Nellie_Fox
04-06-2010, 12:09 AM
My understanding is that Konerko and TCQ are going to get some DH time as well.

gobears1987
04-06-2010, 12:14 AM

If he did people would say he permanently ruined Kotsay by not starting him the 2nd game of the season.

Maybe that shouldn't be tealed since people really would say that.

gobears1987
04-06-2010, 12:15 AM
My understanding is that Konerko and TCQ are going to get some DH time as well.

I really want to see TCQ get time just because it reduces the risk of him getting injured. I'd especially want to see him DH if the field is wet.

dickallen15
04-06-2010, 07:53 AM
Ozzie said if Jones was hot, he'd be playing every day.

WhiteSoxFTW
04-06-2010, 10:46 AM
Ozzie said if Jones was hot, he'd be playing every day.

In OG's interview with Ranger and Holmes last Saturday, I interpreted his comments about Jones to mean that we would see him a lot b/c he played so well in ST. I hope Ozzie isn't going to stick with his stubborn L/R vs R/L lineups only. That doesn't always work out so well.

jabrch
04-06-2010, 10:57 AM
In OG's interview with Ranger and Holmes last Saturday, I interpreted his comments about Jones to mean that we would see him a lot b/c he played so well in ST. I hope Ozzie isn't going to stick with his stubborn L/R vs R/L lineups only. That doesn't always work out so well.

He stubbornly trotted Thome out there against LHP most of last year and watched him stubbornly hit .209/.314/.429, stubbornly.

I see no evidence to support a claim that he is only going to hit Kots vs LHP and Jones vs RHP. I mean - seriously... Guillen is going to change his lineup almost every day. I can't think of too many reasonable combinations we won't see.

canOcorn
04-06-2010, 12:07 PM
I hope Ozzie isn't going to stick with his stubborn L/R vs R/L lineups only. That doesn't always work out so well.

You shouldn't hold out too much hope since he rarely deviates from that philosophy even when the numbers show he should.

Taliesinrk
04-06-2010, 12:26 PM
What Ozzie plans is not something we will likely find out about until it happens - or until he wants us to know.

The operative word here is "plans". Ozzie may plan things, but I have to think those plans change about as frequently as do the words that come out of his mouth. I think that, often times, we don't know what Ozzie plans until it happens because he doesn't either... which is another reason I love watching the Sox.

HomeFish
04-06-2010, 12:31 PM
If he did people would say he permanently ruined Kotsay by not starting him the 2nd game of the season.

This is a wonderful post.

pudge
04-06-2010, 04:19 PM
One thing is certain, for all the noise around Kotsay batting fifth and playing DH, it only took one game to see how cringe-inducing that plan is. A gracious call is all that avoided two rally-killing double plays. Granted, Jim Thome just as easily could have grounded into two double plays, but I think you can live with Thome doing it, and not live with Kotsay doing it. Heck, I can even live with Andruw Jones doing it.

jabrch
04-06-2010, 04:22 PM
One thing is certain, for all the noise around Kotsay batting fifth and playing DH, it only took one game to see how cringe-inducing that plan is. A gracious call is all that avoided two rally-killing double plays. Granted, Jim Thome just as easily could have grounded into two double plays, but I think you can live with Thome doing it, and not live with Kotsay doing it. Heck, I can even live with Andrew Jones doing it.

So one game is enough for you to make a decision? Cool. Then you can conclude that with this rotation, pen, defense, Beck, TCQ, PK and Rios that we don't need to worry about production at DH - we will be just fine.

How about giving it a bit more than one game before celebrating the genius of the plan or condemning it to death?

SCCWS
04-06-2010, 04:35 PM
One thing is certain, for all the noise around Kotsay batting fifth and playing DH, it only took one game to see how cringe-inducing that plan is. A gracious call is all that avoided two rally-killing double plays. Granted, Jim Thome just as easily could have grounded into two double plays, but I think you can live with Thome doing it, and not live with Kotsay doing it. Heck, I can even live with Andruw Jones doing it.

So if Jones is the DH and hits into 2 doubleplays, you can live with it. If Kotsay does it it is "cringe-inducing". Let me guess---because Jones looks better running down to first? he wears your favorite number?

BadBobbyJenks
04-06-2010, 04:54 PM
So one game is enough for you to make a decision? Cool. Then you can conclude that with this rotation, pen, defense, Beck, TCQ, PK and Rios that we don't need to worry about production at DH - we will be just fine.

How about giving it a bit more than one game before celebrating the genius of the plan or condemning it to death?

Oh didn't you just make a thread about Thornton shutting down lefties until the end of time?

voodoochile
04-06-2010, 05:01 PM
I just got off the phone with Ozzie and the answer to the original question is...

"No!"

He then went on a rant about how he makes out the ****ing lineups. It was a bit crazy and I'm kind of glad I'm hard of hearing. I feel a bit sorry for the operator who had to translate all those swear words. I thought the screen on my phone was going to overheat...

spawn
04-06-2010, 05:08 PM
I just got off the phone with Ozzie and the answer to the original question is...

"No!"

He then went on a rant about how he makes out the ****ing lineups. It was a bit crazy and I'm kind of glad I'm hard of hearing. I feel a bit sorry for the operator who had to translate all those swear words. I thought the screen on my phone was going to overheat...
You're lucky. When I got patched through to him, he handed the phone to Oney. I never got an answer to the question. He just kept bitchin about nerds and Nancy Faust. I ended up realizing it wasn't wroth it and hung up the phone.

Lillian
04-07-2010, 03:03 AM
If you look at Andruw Jones' split stats over the last 5 years, you will discover that he has hit virtually the same vs. right handers and left handers.
This includes two outstanding seasons in 2005 and 2006, and three injury plagued years, during which he was in terrible shape.

If you believe he is now capable of performing up to reasonable expectations for a guy still in his prime, now in great shape, who has had a long stellar career, then platooning him doesn't make any sense.
If on the the other hand, you believe that he is finished as he turns 33, then just cut him or trade him for a left handed bat. However platooning him should not be an option.

Moreover, as I have previously pointed out, he is still arguably the best center fielder on this team, and therefore should be playing the outfield, and not DHing.

I think that Ozzie will eventually play Jones in CF on a pretty regular basis. I suspect that he is just giving Kotsay an opportunity to play because he had a very good Spring. If Jones performs, and Kotsay doesn't, Ozzie will likely return Kotsay to his role as bench player and Jones can bat in the middle of the order.
His presence in the lineup could provide the much needed protection for Quentin. That is really the biggest weakness in the Sox offense. There is no one on this team that can stop pitchers from going around Carlos, except for Jones. Konerko would have provided that kind of protection in his prime, but I don't think he can fill that role at this stage of his career.

One other point which argues quite strongly for Jones over Kotsay: The upside potential of Jones is far greater than it is for Kotsay. There is a realistic chance that Jones could be a very productive run producer, and that makes playing him worth a shot. Kotsay at his best, would still never be a big run producer