PDA

View Full Version : Traffic ???

mikesouthside
04-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Hey all. What will be the best way to get to the park now that 290 will be a mess? (Coming from the NW BURBS) We were taking 290 and getting off at Racine and cutting over to Halsted. Any suggestions? Thanks.

raven1
04-05-2010, 09:51 PM
I just take I-90 to get out to the Northwest, north of the loop it moved pretty fast.

twinslayer
04-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Park at the nearest train station and take the El, or find a way to get to the El with public transportation. The best way is to bypass it completely. It's a little uncomfortable, but it definitely works and you can make some fellow White Sox friends on the train coming home, like I did =]

DumpJerry
04-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Kennedy to Dan Ryan.

The Critic
04-05-2010, 09:58 PM
I know it's not the answer you're looking for, but I agree with twinslayer.
There's so much construction going on this summer, I'm never driving to the park. As unreliable as the CTA can be, I'll take my chances with their brand of headache over the traffic headache.

DSpivack
04-05-2010, 10:55 PM
I know it's not the answer you're looking for, but I agree with twinslayer.
There's so much construction going on this summer, I'm never driving to the park. As unreliable as the CTA can be, I'll take my chances with their brand of headache over the traffic headache.

If you park, say, at Rosemont though how long would it take to get to 35th? 90 minutes? Two hours? It takes me nearly an hour and I'm just off the northern edge of the Red Line. It would save a lot of money not to have to park, though [assuming just two people, or one, in the car].

kevingrt
04-06-2010, 08:33 AM
Speaking of traffic what was up with 35 St. on the west side of the stadium being an absolute parking lot around 10:00 AM yesterday. I finally took Wallace to 33rd to get to Lot G but man ti was not moving for awhile.

ewokpelts
04-06-2010, 08:40 AM
www.transitchicago.com (http://www.transitchicago.com)

www.metrarail.com (http://www.metrarail.com)

Law11
04-06-2010, 12:04 PM
355 to 55. take that in if you can.
88e to 294s to 55 works

I come in from Arlington Hts and take 90e to 294s to 55 and it feeds into the ryan for all of about 1 minute to the USCF exit at 32nd.

kobo
04-06-2010, 12:17 PM
If you park, say, at Rosemont though how long would it take to get to 35th? 90 minutes? Two hours? It takes me nearly an hour and I'm just off the northern edge of the Red Line. It would save a lot of money not to have to park, though [assuming just two people, or one, in the car].
I took the L yesterday and got on the blue line at Rosemont, took about 50 minutes to get from there to the park. That's the norm, unless there is construction happening on the L. It's my preferred method of getting to games because I hate dealing with traffic and having to park, and gives me a chance to sober up a little afterwards if I've had a few beers at the game.

DSpivack
04-06-2010, 12:41 PM
I took the L yesterday and got on the blue line at Rosemont, took about 50 minutes to get from there to the park. That's the norm, unless there is construction happening on the L. It's my preferred method of getting to games because I hate dealing with traffic and having to park, and gives me a chance to sober up a little afterwards if I've had a few beers at the game.

Totally thought it would take longer, that's not bad at all.

kobo
04-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Totally thought it would take longer, that's not bad at all.
The longest wait is when switching from the blue line to the red line. Got lucky yesterday as the red line showed up like 2 minutes after we got to the platform. But from past experiences, the longest it might take is about a hour, which really isn't bad. I'd spend that much time in traffic, so I'd rather take the L and meet up with friends in the lot rather than dealing with the hassle of driving.

Skarpachi
04-06-2010, 01:00 PM
88e to 294s to 55 works

I come in from Arlington Hts and take 90e to 294s to 55 and it feeds into the ryan for all of about 1 minute to the USCF exit at 32nd.

I'll be coming in from Schaumburg for tomorrow night's game. I usually take 290 in, but have to come up with a new route due to the construction. Was thinking about 355 to 55, but then 355 gets backed up around Lake Street and then again from 88 to Ogden. 90 to 294 to 55 might be my best bet.

C-Dawg
04-06-2010, 01:15 PM
The longest wait is when switching from the blue line to the red line.

Going home, that's always the delay - waiting at Jackson for the Blue Line. It'll be interesting to see if the CTA cutbacks will have a noticeable impact this season. Still beats driving in my opinion.

Law11
04-06-2010, 05:14 PM
I'll be coming in from Schaumburg for tomorrow night's game. I usually take 290 in, but have to come up with a new route due to the construction. Was thinking about 355 to 55, but then 355 gets backed up around Lake Street and then again from 88 to Ogden. 90 to 294 to 55 might be my best bet.

youre only issue will be 90e that damn thing backs up to the 94/294s split bad the closer to rush hour you get.

Ive actually taken 83 at Higgins south to 55 but again the lights will kill you along 83 until you get past Oakbrook.

cbrownson13
04-06-2010, 05:30 PM
I came from Naperville for opening day. 88 to 290 to 90/94 and had no problems at all. Granted, this was at 9:30AM, not 5PM.

chisoxfanatic
04-06-2010, 06:19 PM
I'd consult a traffic times map if you can to see where the congestion is on the major expressways. Sometimes, it's quickest to take the Tri-State tollway to the Stevenson.

mikesouthside
04-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. I would be coming from Bartlett so kinda stuck in the middle about how to go and (yes I'll say it) not very good with directions...still not sure best plan.

CLUBHOUSE KID
04-08-2010, 12:24 AM
Speaking of traffic what was up with 35 St. on the west side of the stadium being an absolute parking lot around 10:00 AM yesterday. I finally took Wallace to 33rd to get to Lot G but man ti was not moving for awhile.

What do you mean? 35th/Normal is always packed because it opens very early over there (G-Lot and Red Hots parking). If going to G-Lot go n the 33rd/Canal entrance. I always walk in the street because it is so packed when I am walking down 35th from Normal to Wallace before the games lol

kevingrt
04-08-2010, 01:14 AM
What do you mean? 35th/Normal is always packed because it opens very early over there (G-Lot and Red Hots parking). If going to G-Lot go n the 33rd/Canal entrance. I always walk in the street because it is so packed when I am walking down 35th from Normal to Wallace before the games lol

It's usually packed but I have never seen it as bad as Opening Day and this includes any Cubs vs. Sox game and any of the playoff games from 2005 or 2008.

soxrme
04-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Another reason Amtrack should stop by the park. People from the northwest suburbs would take it over driving everyday.

CLUBHOUSE KID
04-08-2010, 08:59 PM
It's usually packed but I have never seen it as bad as Opening Day and this includes any Cubs vs. Sox game and any of the playoff games from 2005 or 2008.

I do believe this lol i was amazed myself

Jimmy John
06-25-2010, 11:09 AM
So I'll be leaving Schaumburg around noon for today's 3:00 start. Think I'll be alright taking 90 to the Kennedy?

doublem23
06-25-2010, 11:38 AM
Another reason Amtrack should stop by the park. People from the northwest suburbs would take it over driving everyday.

I know this post is several months old, but what?

A) I think you mean Metra.

B) You can take the NW Metra Line to Jefferson Park and take the CTA into the park. Probably a lot easier. Especially since the 35th Street Metra stop would be on the SWS Line, which goes to Union Station, not the station that the NW Line goes to. You're actually telling me people would wait around for up to an hour, walk several blocks through Downtown Chicago at night to try and catch a train at Oglivie? No way.

If you don't take the train now from the NW burbs, you won't when the new stop opens up.

kobo
06-25-2010, 11:41 AM
So I'll be leaving Schaumburg around noon for today's 3:00 start. Think I'll be alright taking 90 to the Kennedy?
If leaving at that time you should be ok. Probably won't have much traffic until you get to the junction.

Jimmy John
06-25-2010, 11:42 AM
If leaving at that time you should be ok. Probably won't have much traffic until you get to the junction.

That's what I'm hoping. Thanks.

tebman
06-25-2010, 11:59 AM
88e to 294s to 55 works

If you come in via I-55, exit at Damen. Take Damen south to Pershing (which is 39th Street). Turn left (east) on Pershing and take that to Stewart Street, which is the alley next to the railroad viaduct. That feeds directly into Lots F and L on the south side of the ballpark.

I've taken that route for the last five years and it's always been *much* easier than taking I-55 all the way in and then trying to exit from the Ryan.

ChicagoRushFan
06-25-2010, 12:02 PM
I'll second what Tebman said. That is the way I go. However I do usually get there pretty early. When its closer to first pitch, it might change.

Jimmy John
06-25-2010, 12:10 PM
If you come in via I-55, exit at Damen. Take Damen south to Pershing (which is 39th Street). Turn left (east) on Pershing and take that to Stewart Street, which is the alley next to the railroad viaduct. That feeds directly into Lots F and L on the south side of the ballpark.

I've taken that route for the last five years and it's always been *much* easier than taking I-55 all the way in and then trying to exit from the Ryan.

That's exactly what I do when I drive in from the west burbs. It's flawless.

Getting down to 55 via 355 can be a bit of a pain but once you hit the Stevenson it's relatively smooth.

Warriorjan
06-25-2010, 01:13 PM
Anyone who confuses Amtrak with Metra never takes the train now and wouldn't be likely to take it anyway.
You can also park at Cumberland on the Blue Line in a covered garage.