PDA

View Full Version : Jason Heyward

DaveFeelsRight
04-05-2010, 04:48 PM
Kid is going to be such a star. 3-run bomb off of Zambrano in the first inning.

Whappeh
04-05-2010, 04:52 PM
I switched over to see that blast. That was sick.

The resulting inning has been hilarious.

DirtySox
04-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Missed it, but yes J-Hey is going to be a monster. I also love Tommy Hanson. The Braves are a fun team to watch.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-05-2010, 04:56 PM
But this is still the year, right?

spawn
04-05-2010, 05:04 PM
Wow...Zambrano pulled after and inning and a third. Probably didn't have it today.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-05-2010, 05:07 PM
Wow...Zambrano pulled after and inning and a third. Probably didn't have it today.

Gatorade coolers in the Atlanta area have been placed on high alert.

Boondock Saint
04-05-2010, 05:16 PM

He was throwing meatballs up there. Not only that, his fastball is 2-4 MPH slower than it normally is. The difference between 96 and 92 can make all the difference in the world for a power pitcher like Zambrano.

Mr. White Sox
04-05-2010, 05:21 PM
He was throwing meatballs up there. Not only that, his fastball is 2-4 MPH slower than it normally is. The difference between 96 and 92 can make all the difference in the world for a power pitcher like Zambrano.

Was Zambrano even touching 96 last year? I distinctly remembered most of his games at around the 93-94mph range.

Shoeless
04-05-2010, 05:27 PM
This performance speaks volumes about Cubs pitching.

soltrain21
04-05-2010, 05:30 PM
This performance speaks volumes about Cubs pitching.

Not really. It's one game.

Shoeless
04-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Not really. It's one game.
No, you're right, it's just evident that the Cubs NEED Z to pitch more innings than that or they're in a lot of trouble.

DSpivack
04-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Missed it, but yes J-Hey is going to be a monster. I also love Tommy Hanson. The Braves are a fun team to watch.

Jurjens ain't bad either and Freddie Freeman could be up by the end of the year, too, no?

pythons007
04-05-2010, 05:58 PM
I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but did Zambrano go balistic? I saw he had an error and then promptly gave up a bomb to McCann.

soltrain21
04-05-2010, 06:00 PM
I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but did Zambrano go balistic? I saw he had an error and then promptly gave up a bomb to McCann.

No. He didn't seem to throw any sort of fit.

Viva Medias B's
04-05-2010, 06:03 PM
No. He didn't seem to throw any sort of fit.

...in front of of television cameras.

soltrain21
04-05-2010, 06:11 PM
...in front of of television cameras.

Well, I'm sure a ton of players go back into the locker room and get angry after a bad outing.

I'm sure the Cubs will be happy as long as he isn't going nuts in the dugout anymore.

goon
04-05-2010, 06:15 PM
Samardzija walks the bases loaded, no outs. Fantastic.

edit: now 12-5... the Braves look good, the Cubs, ehhhh

goon
04-05-2010, 06:16 PM
Well, I'm sure a ton of players go back into the locker room and get angry after a bad outing.

The guys a head case obviously. He doesn't really need to be defended.

soltrain21
04-05-2010, 06:19 PM
The guys a head case obviously. He doesn't really need to be defended.

I'm not defending him. I think he is an idiot for doing it in the dugout and on the mound - but let's not act like he is the only player that will flip their **** after things go wrong.

Rockabilly
I see Heyward finishing in 2nd place in the ROY vote.

DSpivack
I see Heyward finishing in 2nd place in the ROY vote.

Behind whom?

soltrain21
Jeff Samaradizja is obviously not ready to be in the major leagues. He is....not good.

Rockabilly
04-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Behind whom?

Strasburg..

goon
04-05-2010, 06:22 PM
I'm not defending him. I think he is an idiot for doing it in the dugout and on the mound - but let's not act like he is the only player that will flip their **** after things go wrong.

Totally, but Viva was probably just joking around. The guy has a history of flying off the handle, he's an easy target for ridicule.

goon
04-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Jeff Samaradizja is obviously not ready to be in the major leagues. He is....not good.

Yeah... they just look fundamentally bad, nothing new there really.

TDog
04-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Heyward now has something in common with Chuck Tanner, who hit a home run in his first major league at bat while playing for the Braves.

Off the top of my head, the only Hall of Famer I can think of who hit a home run in his first major league at bat is Hoyt Wilhelm, but I'm sure he isn't alone.

goon
04-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Heyward now has something in common with Chuck Tanner, who hit a home run in his first major league at bat while playing for the Braves.

Off the top of my head, the only Hall of Famer I can think of who hit a home run in his first major league at bat is Hoyt Wilhelm, but I'm sure he isn't alone.

good list here: lissst (http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:rlJoavR8PacJ:www.baseball-almanac.com/feats/feats5.shtml+hr+in+first+mlb+ab&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us)

soltrain21
04-05-2010, 06:34 PM

Carlos Lee did it for us, correct?

Edit - and Olivo and Fields. I forgot about those.

soltrain21
04-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Heyward is going to have an Upton/Longoria contract in about a month.

TDog
04-05-2010, 07:11 PM
good list here: lissst (http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:rlJoavR8PacJ:www.baseball-almanac.com/feats/feats5.shtml+hr+in+first+mlb+ab&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us)

Without looking at the list, I will note that my favorite name has to be Don Rose, who never hit another home run. Rose was a pitcher for the Angels in 1972. The Angels traded All-Star shortstop Jim Fregosi for him. The Angels also got three other players in the deal: Leroy Stanton, Frank Estrada and Nolan Ryan.

But none of those other guys hit home runs in their first major league at bats.

gobears1987
04-05-2010, 07:21 PM

That's why I like my pitchers relying on movement and location instead of a damn RADAR gun.

DirtySox
04-05-2010, 07:26 PM
That's why I like my pitchers relying on movement and location instead of a damn RADAR gun.

They can rely on a combination of both. It's not an either/or situation.

TDog
04-05-2010, 07:32 PM
They can rely on a combination of both. It's not an either/or situation.

There are pitchers who are more effective when their velocity is down because they have more movement. A radar gun is a tool. If you use it in evaluating talent you have to know how to interpret it. Pitching is not hand never has been getting the highest number on the radar gun.

tick53
04-05-2010, 07:36 PM

Dance everybody! :bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance: :bandance:

TDog
04-05-2010, 09:00 PM

Who was that Bozo on Chicago radio whose discussion of the Buehrle perfect game centered around Kerry Wood's 20-strikeout game being more impressive? A discussion more relevant than comparing two games in two different centuries might be comparing Buehrle's start today to Zambrano's. You could compare their respective defensive day as well as their afternoons on the mound.

pythons007
04-06-2010, 09:23 AM
Who was that Bozo on Chicago radio whose discussion of the Buehrle perfect game centered around Kerry Wood's 20-strikeout game being more impressive? A discussion more relevant than comparing two games in two different centuries might be comparing Buehrle's start today to Zambrano's. You could compare their respective defensive day as well as their afternoons on the mound.

It was on Chicago Tribune Live and it was the moron Dave Kaplan. The guy can't say anything positive about the Sox without including something that has to do with the Cubs. He's a freaking tool.

illinibk
04-06-2010, 10:50 AM
Kid is going to be such a star. 3-run bomb off of Zambrano in the first inning.

That was impressive. That's the first I've ever seen of Heyward, but Ken Griffey Jr.'s name immediately came to mind when searching for a comparison. He will be fun to watch over the next 15 years.

Moses_Scurry
04-06-2010, 11:31 AM
It couldn't have happened to a better team (other than the White Sox, of course). I've always had a soft spot for the Braves. It comes from watching many games as a young kid on WTBS. Dale Murphy was my favorite. I also really liked Bruce Benedict, Brett Butler, and Pasqual Perez.

MarySwiss
04-06-2010, 12:05 PM
Who was that Bozo on Chicago radio whose discussion of the Buehrle perfect game centered around Kerry Wood's 20-strikeout game being more impressive?

It was on Chicago Tribune Live and it was the moron Dave Kaplan. The guy can't say anything positive about the Sox without including something that has to do with the Cubs. He's a freaking tool.

I just knew it was Kaplan before I even looked at the answer. :mad:

BTW, I even kind of felt sorry for Zambrano. That first inning before the home run, there were two dropped fly balls. The Cubs fielders looked like they were rehearsing a comedy routine. Which I guess is sort of true, in a way.