PDA

View Full Version : Official 'So Much For Small Ball' Opening Day Win Thread!!

soxinem1
04-05-2010, 03:33 PM
A couple HR's, two-out run scoring, great pitching, game ending catch, Buehrle with the golve...... YES!!

soltrain21
04-05-2010, 03:33 PM
We take dat one!

aryzner
04-05-2010, 03:34 PM
162-0 here we come!! :bandance::bandance::bandance:

KnightSox
Let's repeat this performance a hundred more times this season and we'll be okay.

I've gotta say we are the favorites to win it all after 1 game!!! :cool:

Pear-Zin-Ski
Everything went right (aside from Kotsay :rolleyes:) today. Hope that means the rest of the season will be looking up. GREAT way to start off the 2010 campaign.

PeoriaSoxFan
I'll take games like this all year long. Glad I took the day off to watch. Awesome game. Go Sox.

ElevenUp
Great start to a hopefully great season. :gulp:

downstairs
04-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Me likey. Everything to like about that game. Some manufactured runs, some home runs, excellent pitching from the starter, middle relief, and closer.

cbone
Nice start! :gulp:

thedudeabides
Great start to the season!!! :bandance:

This team should be exciting to watch this year.

HomeFish
Imagine how many more runs we could have scored without Kotsay in the #5 slot

PeoriaSoxFan
Frank Thomas in the postgame. Nice.

whitem0nkey
:bandance:

so happy that baseball is here and we got our first win on opening day.

voodoochile
04-05-2010, 03:36 PM
:soxwin:

Great play by BurlyMon should make the year's highlight real for sure.

Making productive outs really really helps.

TCQ and PK off to nice starts and hey look a CF who can both field and hit...:o:

:supernana:

:)

Marqhead
First place in the Central.

guillen4life13
Great game by the Sox all around. Teahen had a rough one but just forget about it and up and at 'em for next game.

Carmona vs. Peavy on Wednesday. Should be a good one also.

SI1020
04-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Me likey. Everything to like about that game. Some manufactured runs, some home runs, excellent pitching from the starter, middle relief, and closer. Exactly. One of the best opening day wins since I don't know when. I really liked the way Rios looked today.

awesomefan
Go sox!!!! I love these guys!!!!

Frankfan4life
WOW!!! What's not to like about today's game??? Pitching, defense, offense, base-running - the Sox did it all and did it all well. Please, Puhleez let this be the REAL 2010 White Sox. I'm impressed!!!!! :bandance:

thomas35forever
04-05-2010, 03:38 PM
Awesome game. I've got a really good feeling about this year's team. Just play like this consistently and nobody will be able to stop them.

Sox83Kid
Wish I would've attended this game in person. :(: I'm going to like watching this pitching staff! :bandance:

Soxman219
EVEN THOUGH I COULDN'T SEE IT, IT WAS AN GREAT START FOR OUR SOX.

Burls was amazing
Runs were timely
Rios owned the last two innings

and the day's not over

I say I'm loving life:bandance:

SoxGirl4Life
What a perfect way to finish this day!

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-05-2010, 03:39 PM
Only thing better than the W would have been to be there in person. That said, great game!!!

Thome_Fan
04-05-2010, 03:39 PM
It ended up exactly like Ranger said. Kotsay wasn't great today, in fact he was rather poor, but still managed to drive runs in in an ugly style. The rest of the offense and the pitching was good enough that he really didn't make a difference. With a big bopper in his spot, maybe there is a grand slam in one of those bases loaded situations but would it have changed the outcome? Not at all.

guillensdisciple
04-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Wooooo!!

Great way to play the first game of the year. I have a lot of faith that this team will do great things this year.

Frank was a little jittery with his first commentary, but that's alright.

Shoeless
04-05-2010, 03:41 PM
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/3433/kennythekeg.jpg
Kenny the Keg! Let's drink! That's a White Sox Victory!

SephClone89
Paulie set the Sox record for consecutive Opening Day starts? Fantastic.

munchman33
Kotsay in, Sox win.

munchman33
04-05-2010, 03:42 PM
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/3433/kennythekeg.jpg
Kenny the Keg! Let's drink! That's a White Sox Victory!

:thumbsup:

SoxSpeed22
Now that's how you start the season. Buehrle with a terrific start, great play (understatement). PK gets the offense rolling with a homer. Rios looking like he wants to be All-Star Rios again. Beckham showing how smart a player he is and solid bullpen work from Putz and Thornton make for a win. Let's do it again Wednesday.

TheOldRoman
Great to get a win on opening day. Aside from playing really well and starting off on the right foot, the Sox beat a terrible team. If they take care of business all year against crappy teams they will be in the postseason.

SoxGirl4Life
04-05-2010, 03:43 PM
I'm so excited. I can't wait. Wednesday better not be rained out!

Frankfan4life
Wish I would've attended this game in person. :(: I'm going to like watching this pitching staff! :bandance:I wish I could have seen the game but I couldn't take off work today. I followed it on MLB "At Bat" and Game Day audio. Fortunately, I'll be able to watch the whole game on my DVR when I get home. :D:

Crestani
:rolleyes:WOW!!! What's not to like about today's game??? Pitching, defense, offense, base-running - the Sox did it all and did it all well. Please, Puhleez let this be the REAL 2010 White Sox. I'm impressed!!!!! :bandance:
It has always been about pitching and defense. this years team appears to have both...GO SOX.

cheezheadsoxfan
04-05-2010, 03:45 PM
:soxwin:

Great play by BurlyMon should make the year's highlight real for sure.

Making productive outs really really helps.

TCQ and PK off to nice starts and hey look a CF who can both field and hit...:o:

:supernana:

:)
It has been awhile, hasn't it!:cool:

guillensdisciple
04-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Ozzie going thick on the media hahahhaha!!!!

Hell yes!!!

awesomefan
Not only did Buehrle get to the ball after it bounced off his foot & toss it between his legs backwards to PK..Paulie bare handed the catch.

Coolest play in history!!!!:cool:

Shoeless
And we get to see Frank Thomas on every home game telecast.

thomas35forever
I love when Ozzie flips on the media.:cool:

Hendu
Can't wait to watch the game when I get home. Another effortless cruise control pitching performance by Burls, and from the Youtube clip I saw of The Play...all I can say is wow. And what a barehanded grab by Paulie.

Corlose 15
04-05-2010, 03:48 PM
There really is not a whole lot to not like about today's game. Buehrle was outstanding and looks ready to defend his gold glove.:cool:

Rios smoked 2 balls today and solid in center. Both TCQ and Beckham go the other way for doubles. Paulie with the big blast. 6 runs on 6 hits for a White Sox winner!

Thome_Fan
04-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Ozzie going thick on the media hahahhaha!!!!

Hell yes!!!

"I need to go get some vodka..."

Frankfan4life
04-05-2010, 03:49 PM
:rolleyes:
It has always been about pitching and defense. this years team appears to have both...GO SOX.Even though I'm happy about the win, the Sox are playing the Jndians after all. But, if this team thinks they're good, then I think they'll play like it.

johnnyg83
04-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Good win. Good win.

VMSNS
04-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Great game. I was watching on my phone during class. :D:

Kotsay crapped his pants, but at least he managed to score some runs in the process. Nice pitching all around. Thornton looked absolutely filthy. Oh, and Rios. Hopefully this is just a taste of what's to come.

Great job today, Sox!

:gulp::gulp::gulp:

MeteorsSox4367
04-05-2010, 03:56 PM
I loved SI's assessment in its preview that the Sox now have a bonafide ace with Peavy.

I'm sorry, but Buehrle's not a bonafide ace? Yeah, right.

Great job today, Mark. Way to go, boys!

Frontman
04-05-2010, 03:58 PM
Solid all around baseball today. Nothing to hate on; ok Kotsay didn't play well, but the game is baseball. NINE players make a lineup. Kotsay struggled; but the other's picked him up.

Not a problem.

Wonderful way to start the season. And yes, it IS the Indians afterall, BUT; they are the type of team the Sox SHOULD win against.

IF the Sox play to their skill level; NOT the opponent's skill level?

This is going to be a great year of Sox baseball.

markopat
04-05-2010, 03:58 PM
WOW...what a fun game to watch...everyone has already mentioned the plays and the hits....HELL YEAH!!!

Go Go White Sox!!!:bandance:

Shoeless
04-05-2010, 03:59 PM
Solid all around baseball today. Nothing to hate on; ok Kotsay didn't play well, but the game is baseball. NINE players make a lineup. Kotsay struggled; but the other's picked him up.

Not a problem.

Wonderful way to start the season. And yes, it IS the Indians afterall, BUT; they are the type of team the Sox SHOULD win against.

IF the Sox play to their skill level; NOT the opponent's skill level?

This is going to be a great year of Sox baseball.

Kotsay and Teahen (MVP) will be better. I have faith

KRS1
04-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Fun game all around the diamond. Mark opening up the year with a great play to back a great pitching performance was awesome to see.

SoxFan1979
04-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Shut out at home always great whether its the 1st game or 160 I'll take it. Wooooooooo GO SOX! Way to start the season. :bandance::bandance:

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Fun game all around the diamond. Mark opening up the year with a great play to back a great pitching performance was awesome to see.

All he needed was a homer to pick up the trifecta.

He should've hit for Kotsay.

spawn
04-05-2010, 04:02 PM
I'm trying to remember what happened the last time we opened the season with a shutout of the Indians...

Harry Potter
04-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Great way to start the season boys! :bandance:

guillensdisciple
04-05-2010, 04:07 PM
I'm trying to remember what happened the last time we opened the season with a shutout of the Indians...

I have a feeling this one is important.

spawn
04-05-2010, 04:08 PM
I have a feeling this one is important.
I'm not sayin'...I'm just saying'...:tongue:

gf2020
04-05-2010, 04:08 PM
That was a really fun game to watch. I'm stoked for the rest of the season.

BainesHOF
04-05-2010, 04:10 PM
It's the best play I've seen a pitcher make. It was awesome on a bunch of different levels.

- The initial stop off Buehrle's foot. Sure, that part was a little lucky, but Buehrle still had to prevent the ball from going up the middle in the first place.

- Great hustle by Buehrle to get to the ball in foul territory.

- Outstanding body control. After chasing down the ball at full speed, Buehrle was able to keep his body under control once he got to it.

- Tremendous creativity. Buehrle's split-second decision to flip the ball between his legs was genius. I don't think he had a play any other way.

- A perfect blind flip. Not only was Buehrle able to get the ball to Konerko, but he had something on the flip.

Konerko's barehanded catch and A.J.'s fist pump into the air were the icing on the cake at the end of the play.

Boondock Saint
04-05-2010, 04:13 PM
I was more than happy to just be watching baseball again, but game like that just totally lifted my spirits. I don't think I realized how much I missed baseball until I was watching it again.

guillensdisciple
04-05-2010, 04:14 PM
Must they have this one day rest break in between 1 and 2 every damn year. I really want to see the next game. This is too much of a tease.

veeter
04-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Just like they drew it up, great game!!

DirtySox
04-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Must they have this one day rest break in between 1 and 2 every damn year. I really want to see the next game. This is too much of a tease.

I feel the same way. At least I have no reason to put off my studying for finals.

TDog
04-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Even though I'm happy about the win, the Sox are playing the Jndians after all. But, if this team thinks they're good, then I think they'll play like it.

The Indians played great defense today, except at catcher, and his mistakes required the White Sox to be aggressive to take advantage of his mistakes.

What the Sox didn't do was play the old station-to-station baseball. Quentin didn't get the memo, twice staying at first when Beckham from second turned balls in the dirt into wild pitches.

I was impressed with Beckham at the plate, on the bases and even in the field. Konerko played a great first base and homered to right in his first regular season at bat after shaking my hand. I was particularly impressed with Rios, both at the plate and in center.

Complain about Kotsay if you will, but the Sox twice loaded the bases today and twice brought at least the runner from third home. How many times last year did the White Sox load the bases and not score? That happened often enough that most Sox fans considered it typical. (Most would say the template would have Thome striking out and Konerko grounding into a doubleplay, although Konerko didn't ground into all that many doubleplays.) The key is making contact. I don't believe the Sox had more than one or two at bats where they struck out with runners on base.

And if the game had been tied in the fifth, I'm guessing Jones would have hit for Kotsay when they brought in the southpaw to face him.

What most impressed me today was not Mark Buehrle's pitching, which, really, is what I expected and why I forgot to mention it, but the aggressiveness of the Sox. Three runs scored via the long ball. Three runs can be credited to aggressiveness.

Well played, guys.

spawn
04-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Buehrle's Play (http://whitesox.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=7282679&c_id=cws)

Rios' Catch (http://whitesox.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=7282367&c_id=cws)

I hope we can play this kind of defense all season long...

asindc
04-05-2010, 04:32 PM
The Indians played great defense today, except at catcher, and his mistakes required the White Sox to be aggressive to take advantage of his mistakes.

What the Sox didn't do was play the old station-to-station baseball. Quentin didn't get the memo, twice staying at first when Beckham from second turned balls in the dirt into wild pitches.

I was impressed with Beckham at the plate, on the bases and even in the field. Konerko played a great first base and homered to right in his first regular season at bat after shaking my hand. I was particularly impressed with Rios, both at the plate and in center.

Complain about Kotsay if you will, but the Sox twice loaded the bases today and twice brought at least the runner from third home. How many times last year did the White Sox load the bases and not score? That happened often enough that most Sox fans considered it typical. (Most would say the template would have Thome striking out and Konerko grounding into a doubleplay, although Konerko didn't ground into all that many doubleplays.) The key is making contact. I don't believe the Sox had more than one or two at bats where they struck out with runners on base.

And if the game had been tied in the fifth, I'm guessing Jones would have hit for Kotsay when they brought in the southpaw to face him.

What most impressed me today was not Mark Buehrle's pitching, which, really, is what I expected and why I forgot to mention it, but the aggressiveness of the Sox. Three runs scored via the long ball. Three runs can be credited to aggressiveness.

Well played, guys.

I post here as asindc, and I approve of this post.:smile:

TDog
04-05-2010, 04:33 PM

They schedule an off-day after opening day for a reason. If opening day is weathered-out, the hav ine another day to play the game without losing one of the biggest gates of the year.

Viva Medias B's
04-05-2010, 04:39 PM
I just got back. Weatherwise, this was more like a Marlins opening day than a White Sox one. But I won't complain.

Although it was against the not-so-good Cleveland Indians, I really liked what I saw out there today.

pythons007
04-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Buehrle's Play (http://whitesox.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=7282679&c_id=cws)

Rios' Catch (http://whitesox.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=7282367&c_id=cws)

Buehrle's play, could be top 5 for the season and its only opening day!!! Seriously, I just saw that and it was nasty awesome!! W-O-W!!!!

UChicagoHP
04-05-2010, 04:41 PM

Nice, but does every video on every sporting site have to have an ad nowadays? Sorry for the vent, it's just sickening! But WOW nice plays!

pythons007
04-05-2010, 04:42 PM
I just got back. Weatherwise, this was more like a Marlins opening day than a White Sox one. But I won't complain.

Although it was against the not-so-good Cleveland Indians, I really liked what I saw out there today.

A lot of people are writing off the Indians. I still say they will have an above average offense this year! Their pitching is what's terrible, Westbrook is not a number 1.

Jim Shorts
04-05-2010, 04:42 PM
Nice, but does every video on every sporting site have to have an ad nowadays? Sorry for the vent, it's just sickening! But WOW nice plays!

Yeah, they do. If you'd like to keep getting them for free....

Madvora
04-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Beautiful game. Strong performance. I love this team.

Milkman43
04-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Imagine how many more runs we could have scored without Kotsay in the #5 slot

It's about time for everyone to get off Kotsay's case. He's a great ballplayer who plays the game the right way. It's not his fault that Ozzie puts him in the 5-hole. He's one of the best players on the Sox at hitting good pitching and always tries to do the right thing (hit behind a runner) when he's at the plate. Enough already, let the guy play.

GoGoCrede
04-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Wow. I simply could not have asked for a more perfect 1st Opening Day. My face is totally sunburned, but it's okay. Nothing can ruin today for me.

I met a few WSIers today, which was a lot of fun. I've never tailgated before today. :smile: I was in section 146, so the sun was beating down on me.

Where to start? Buehrle's amazing play was amazing. My mouth dropped open and they replayed it several times. I better see that all over ESPN tonight!

The giveaways were pretty good - the drawstring bag has the number 10 on it, and being the idiot I am, I thought, "Oh, how nice, they're giving away Alexei bags!" It didn't dawn on me that it's for 2010.

Nancy was awesome today, and she played Lady Gaga and Taylor Swift, among others. I will really miss her.

Christ, do the Indians suck or what?

Baseball is back. All is right with the world. :gulp:(Except the raising of the hot dog and beer prices!)

HomeFish
04-05-2010, 04:56 PM
What was defending Gold Glove winner Mark Buehrle's play?

SoxSpeed22
04-05-2010, 04:56 PM
It's about time for everyone to get off Kotsay's case. He's a great ballplayer who plays the game the right way. It's not his fault that Ozzie puts him in the 5-hole. He's one of the best players on the Sox at hitting good pitching and always tries to do the right thing (hit behind a runner) when he's at the plate. Enough already, let the guy play.Teal is sarcasm, buddy.

soltrain21
04-05-2010, 04:58 PM
It's about time for everyone to get off Kotsay's case. He's a great ballplayer who plays the game the right way. It's not his fault that Ozzie puts him in the 5-hole. He's one of the best players on the Sox at hitting good pitching and always tries to do the right thing (hit behind a runner) when he's at the plate. Enough already, let the guy play.

I have NEVER understood what people mean when they say this. Are there players out there who use spoons as bats and run to 2nd base before 1st?

Viva Medias B's
This was Nancy Faust's last OD as organist.

:(:

Speaking of that, I believe it was United States Navy jets that did the flyover, right? Notice that she played "Wild Blue Yonder" after the flyover which is the song of the United States Air Force? I didn't mind because I love that song, but I wonder if any of the Navy guys on the field got a little sensitive over that.

Frontman
What was defending Gold Glove winner Mark Buehrle's play?

Just a deflect a ball off his shin, recover, grab it with his glove and shuffle pass it BETWEEN HIS LEGS for a barehanded catch by Paul Konerko.

Totally was Konerko who made that play possible.

Milkman43
04-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Teal is sarcasm, buddy.

Yeah, get over it. Sorry I'm not up to date with the color codes.

goon
04-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Complete domination. Rios needs to bat 5th immediately. I DVRed the game, thought it was funny how it was Kotsay to come up TWICE with the bases loaded... both times grounded out. Woof.

Pretty much a perfect game besides that... Beckham-Quentin-Konerko then hopefully Rios looks very promising.

GoGoCrede
04-05-2010, 05:00 PM
This was Nancy Faust's last OD as organist.

:(:

I'm holding out hope that the Sox will realize their mistake in getting rid of her and ask her back for next season.

asindc
04-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Yeah, get over it. Sorry I'm not up to date with the color codes.

As much as I agree with your previous post, the teal thing is kinda important to know if you are posting here.:smile:

mmmmmbeeer
04-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Just a deflect a ball off his shin, recover, grab it with his glove and shuffle pass it BETWEEN HIS LEGS for a barehanded catch by Paul Konerko.

Totally was Konerko who made that play possible.

:D:

As impressive as his description sounds, he forgot to include the flip between his legs was when he was facing away from Paulie....like a backwards flip. RIDICULOUS play!!!!

Frankfan4life
04-05-2010, 05:03 PM

Well played, guys.Thanks for the analysis. I agree that aggressiveness is going to be an important component but the Sox must also play "smart" and they did that today. I can't wait to watch the game this evening.

P.S. Nice handshake you got there. :cool:

BadBobbyJenks
04-05-2010, 05:12 PM
Lots of positives today, but I would hope today was enough to show how ridiculously stupid it is to have your worst hitter batting 5th. Twice he came up with the bases loaded and twice bounced into a double play. (yes one of them was not)

Rios hit the ball hard twice, Burls was nasty with his change up working.

Quentin looked good and our set up men were great.

Frontman
04-05-2010, 05:14 PM
:D:

As impressive as his description sounds, he forgot to include the flip between his legs was when he was facing away from Paulie....like a backwards flip. RIDICULOUS play!!!!

No, I had that part "Shuffle pass between the legs."

It was up there with the Iguchi "Matrix" move and Danks play at home last season as far as uber-cool "Oh no he didn't!" moments.

soltrain21
04-05-2010, 05:15 PM
No, I had that part "Shuffle pass between the legs."

It was up there with the Iguchi "Matrix" move and Danks play at home last season as far as uber-cool "Oh no he didn't!" moments.

Mark's play was awesome, but I think I liked Iguchi's play better. That defied gravity.

Frontman
04-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Mark's play was awesome, but I think I liked Iguchi's play better. That defied gravity.

Oh totally. Iguchi could of broke his neck/wrist on that move. Mark just could of caused and error and launch that ball into right field.

Dibbs
04-05-2010, 05:19 PM
Wow, just about a perfect day. Too much good to comment on. Now we get Jake on Wednesday!

Despite Kotsay being an inch away from grounding into two double plays with the bases loaded, this was a perfect day.

Rockabilly
04-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Great win today... Buehrle is my fav Sox player of all time

doublem23
04-05-2010, 05:26 PM

You could pay for it.

Frontman
04-05-2010, 05:26 PM
I just saw a tweet about Mark's play:

"sportsguy33 (http://twitter.com/sportsguy33) Mark Buehrle just made the greatest fielding play in pitcher history. Someone will have to catch a line drive with their genitals to top it."

Lip Man 1
04-05-2010, 05:28 PM
You can't ask for anything more on Opening Day from a team. Well played, well done.

Enjoy the off day everyone.

Lip

LongLiveFisk
04-05-2010, 05:28 PM
Wow, for those of you who were lucky enough to be there, I don't think you could have asked for a more perfect opening day. Weather and outcome were beautiful! :gulp:

longshot7
04-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Oh totally. Iguchi could of broke his neck/wrist on that move. Mark just could of caused and error and launch that ball into right field.

Could've - it's a contraction of COULD HAVE. fyi.

Frontman
04-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Could've - it's a contraction of COULD HAVE. fyi.

I translated it from the Japanese....

All kidding aside; we really need to worry about punctuation and grammar on a day like today?

oeo
04-05-2010, 05:31 PM

Iguchi could have done the same thing and it would have been worse. The runner would have most definitely advanced if he overthrows Konerko, that little floater from Buehrle wouldn't have made it anywhere.

Tragg
04-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Everything went right (aside from Kotsay :rolleyes:) today.
It's called a productive double play.

Great pitching. I saw the bottom of the 9th and that was awesome. The first 2 weren't close to Thornton and what a catch to end the game.

october23sp
04-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Nice win, the scary thing is that our pitching could do that EVERY game. Bravo.

GoGoCrede
04-05-2010, 05:41 PM
I don't think I've seen this yet...

:indianslose

DSpivack
04-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Nice win, the scary thing is that our pitching could do that EVERY game. Bravo.

I'm an optimist on our pitching this year, but even I don't think we'll finish with 0.00 ERA.:tongue:

Frontman
04-05-2010, 05:45 PM
I'm an optimist on our pitching this year, but even I don't think we'll finish with 0.00 ERA.:tongue:

No, probably not. Linebrink is still in the 'pen. :wink:

All in all, a great day. Now if Butler can pull off the upset tonight; I'll be thrilled with the results of today's sports in the area.

goon
04-05-2010, 05:53 PM
I just saw a tweet about Mark's play:

"sportsguy33 (http://twitter.com/sportsguy33) Mark Buehrle just made the greatest fielding play in pitcher history. Someone will have to catch a line drive with their genitals to top it."

Bill Simmons rules.

soxnut1018
04-05-2010, 06:00 PM
That was my first Opening Day ever, and I couldn't have asked for a better game. I still can't believe the play Buehrle made, it made the play Alexei made 2 years ago look routine. The weather was great and we played great. It feels so great to have 2 aces. After today's game I just thought we just shut them out and we have an even better pitcher going tomorrow. And for the first time of the year:
kM7C_yNlCLU

PicktoCLick72
04-05-2010, 06:00 PM
What a day to be at the park. Got some color to take the early lead for best tan against the gf. Some thoughts.

MB looked at his best. It didn't seem like the Indians got one good swing against him.

Bacon's swing looks nice and he seems to fit in the 2 spot.

Seeing TCQ and PK going opposite field is a good thing.

Putz and Thornton throwing some heat.

Just one game, but I like what I see.

Frontman
04-05-2010, 06:02 PM
Bill Simmons rules.

Was wondering if that was one of WSI's very own. Totally cracked me up.

jabrch
04-05-2010, 06:04 PM
They suck. (The Indians that is...)

hawkjt
04-05-2010, 06:07 PM
Everything fell into place today. Even those who are bitching about Kotsay seem to forget that he got two runs across the plate...by making contact. That is a big improvement over strikeouts last year from Big Jim and JD.

Love to see Alex get the big ole monkey off his back with that homer...and PK relaxed everyone with his opening inning homer..thanks Captain!

Defense - check
Offense -check
pitching -check

So far, so good....keep it rolling Sox.

DrCrawdad
04-05-2010, 06:09 PM
Rios was robbed from a base hit early in the game, then homers and
ends the game with a brilliant catch. Then there is Mark Buehrle, a tidy 2 hour 25 minutes win and on top of it all a extra-brilliant play.

A great start to the 2010 season!

Go White Sox!

ChiSox81
04-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Just 161 more games until the playoffs...

gobears1987
04-05-2010, 06:15 PM
I think this team can surprise a lot of people. Solid rotation, solid pen, and some position players who can score a few runs.

twinslayer
04-05-2010, 06:18 PM
Aside from the lady next to me bitching about how Crede would have made that rolling ground ball play in the second, it was a great game. Teahen is not comparable to Crede before his injuries, so let's not go there. I was satisfied with the win, and we were clicking on all cylinders, which is great for the first game. Keep it up guys!

october23sp
04-05-2010, 06:23 PM

http://zembla.cementhorizon.com/archives/swerski.jpg
Okay, Okay we'll finish with a 0.000001 ERA.

esbrechtel
04-05-2010, 06:24 PM
It is really hard to not get excited about the team after today's win...They pitched well, played D, and hit....but we all have to remember it was only 1 game and they were playing the Indians :D:

Let's not all start buying our WS tickets...

soltrain21
04-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Aside from the lady next to me bitching about how Crede would have made that rolling ground ball play in the second, it was a great game. Teahen is not comparable to Crede before his injuries, so let's not go there. I was satisfied with the win, and we were clicking on all cylinders, which is great for the first game. Keep it up guys!

Teahen can walk. Crede can't.

Frontman
04-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Aside from the lady next to me bitching about how Crede would have made that rolling ground ball play in the second, it was a great game. Teahen is not comparable to Crede before his injuries, so let's not go there.

Oh for the love of churros; this love of players no longer with the Sox is getting insane.

Ok, fine. I'll join in:

"Rios' catch was nuthin!!! Rowand would of caught it while his pants were falling off!!!! BA would of been camped under it with a hotdog in one hand, a beer in the other; and caught it with his teeth!!!!!"

twinslayer
04-05-2010, 06:59 PM
Oh for the love of churros; this love of players no longer with the Sox is getting insane.

Ok, fine. I'll join in:

"Rios' catch was nuthin!!! Rowand would of caught it while his pants were falling off!!!! BA would of been camped under it with a hotdog in one hand, a beer in the other; and caught it with his teeth!!!!!"

Heheh, you are evil

GlassSox
04-05-2010, 06:59 PM
What a great day to enjoy a great Sox game. There is nothing to complain about today. It was so good to be at the cell again with all the good Sox fans.

Shoeless
04-05-2010, 07:03 PM
Teahen can walk. Crede can't.
It's sad how far we've come such that I took mild amusement in that sad, but true statement. I miss Joe :(

It's Dankerific
04-05-2010, 07:04 PM
at least Kotsay wasn't batting 3rd.

JB98
04-05-2010, 07:07 PM
I don't think we could have asked for a better Opening Day.

Buehrle was on top of his game -- only three hits allowed. One of those hits traveled about 60 feet, another was a flair into shallow left. Nice outing, highlighted by that unbelievable defensive play.

I liked seeing Quentin and Konerko drive the ball to the opposite field. I liked what I saw from Rios today, knocking one out of the park and making a terrific catch in CF.

I also liked the baserunning by Beckham and Pierzynski, taking the extra base on wild pitches that weren't really *that* wild.

Still gotta work on turning DPs, though. Gordon almost got himself killed turning a fairly routine DP in the second. Then, he made a bad feed to Alexei to break the rhythm of what should have been a DP in the third. Good job by Buehrle to pitch over that. That was Cleveland's best chance to score all day. Obviously, Beckham is still a work in progress at 2B. If that's our biggest problem, we'll be fine.

TDog
04-05-2010, 07:23 PM
Still gotta work on turning DPs, though. Gordon almost got himself killed turning a fairly routine DP in the second. Then, he made a bad feed to Alexei to break the rhythm of what should have been a DP in the third. Good job by Buehrle to pitch over that. That was Cleveland's best chance to score all day. Obviously, Beckham is still a work in progress at 2B. If that's our biggest problem, we'll be fine.

Actually, Beckham showed me more at second than I expected from him, but I agree about turning the DPs. Beckham needs a lot of work. Rarmirez looked solid (I love his arm), but obviously he and Beckham are going to need to work together as a team.

LITTLE NELL
04-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Great start.
Anyone have the answer to MB's record on opening day starts?

JB98
04-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Actually, Beckham showed me more at second than I expected from him, but I agree about turning the DPs. Beckham needs a lot of work. Rarmirez looked solid (I love his arm), but obviously he and Beckham are going to need to work together as a team.

Beckham did make a very good play ranging to his left in the seventh inning today. I should point that out, just in case I sounded like I was bitching needlessly in my previous post. The DP turn is my main concern with Beckham's defense.

SBSoxFan
04-05-2010, 07:39 PM
All he needed was a homer to pick up the trifecta.

He should've hit for Kotsay.

I thought Jones might have hit for Kotsay with the bases loaded and none out in the fifth (?). It would've been a cool call by Ozzie, and could have put the game away right there.

And what about Thornton? Wow! Remember, he got traded because of his control; 10 pitches, 10 strikes today. :bandance:

Johnny Mostil
04-05-2010, 07:43 PM
Beckham did make a very good play ranging to his left in the seventh inning today. I should point that out, just in case I sounded like I was bitching needlessly in my previous post. The DP turn is my main concern with Beckham's defense.

I didn't really follow the pre-season, but, FWIW, Rongey on the post-game commented on how Beckham just didn't get much work turning DPs in spring training (while adding he thought he'd be fine with more practice at it). Just the way the ball bounced, or didn't, during the exhibition season, I guess.

october23sp
04-05-2010, 07:44 PM
TCQ been hit by 2 balls already.

JB98
04-05-2010, 07:45 PM
I thought Jones might have hit for Kotsay with the bases loaded and none out in the fifth (?). It would've been a cool call by Ozzie, and could have put the game away right there.

And what about Thornton? Wow! Remember, he got traded because of his control; 10 pitches, 10 strikes today. :bandance:

We were actually debating that in the stands today. My buddy was saying Ozzie should have sent up Andruw there. I think sticking with Kotsay was fine, because it was only the fifth inning. Never know if you're gonna see a tough right-handed reliever in the later innings, in which case you'd want Kotsay in the game. Also, we were already up 4-0 with our ace on the mound.

If we had been trailing, I would have used Jones in that situation.

gobears1987
04-05-2010, 07:47 PM
TCQ been hit by 2 balls already.

I'm just glad he's wearing an elbow guard because he'll be hit by dozens more this season with that stance where his elbow is practically over the plate. I'd hate to see him get injured by a HPB because he wasn't wearing an elbow pad.

jabrch
04-05-2010, 07:48 PM

And just flat out unhittable. He was awesome today. Putz looked good too. The pen did exactly what they were called on to do today.

gobears1987
04-05-2010, 07:50 PM
One thing that is worth noting is that the Indians (Sizemore in particular) have been one of the few teams that have hit Buehrle hard over the years. It's nice to see Buehrle dominate them. He has done so before, but retiring Sizemore consistently is something he has had trouble with. It was great to see him to that today.

twinslayer
04-05-2010, 07:51 PM
I'm just glad he's wearing an elbow guard because he'll be hit by dozens more this season with that stance where his elbow is practically over the plate. I'd hate to see him get injured by a HPB because he wasn't wearing an elbow pad.

My dad isn't a big baseball guy, but he noticed TCQ getting hit twice, and then I saw the stat of him getting hit each year, leading the AL in 2008. I guess I never really noticed it. He is a plate-crowder

gobears1987
04-05-2010, 07:51 PM

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51w2rlnk-%2BL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

No problem

twinsuck
04-05-2010, 08:13 PM
Awesome game!!! What a perfect day so far, the only thing that wold make it better is a Duke win!! :D:

Thome_Fan
04-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Awesome game!!! What a perfect day so far, the only thing that wold make it better is a Duke win!! :D:

:chunks:

CubsfansareDRUNK
04-05-2010, 08:48 PM
That game was fantastic, but it didn't feel like a Sox game without Gene Honda :(

Baron
04-05-2010, 08:58 PM
On another note the Cubs got shelled today :D:

SI1020
04-05-2010, 09:06 PM
great start.
Anyone have the answer to mb's record on opening day starts?
2002 w
2003 l
2004 nd
2005 w
2006 nd
2008 nd
2009 nd
2010 w

Brian26
04-05-2010, 09:13 PM
2004 nd

Thank you Billy Koch and Damaso Marte.

:clap:

gobears1987
04-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Thank you Billy Koch and Damaso Marte.

:clap:
Yeah serious, that game pissed me off like no other.

LITTLE NELL
04-05-2010, 09:23 PM
2002 w
2003 l
2004 nd
2005 w
2006 nd
2008 nd
2009 nd
2010 w

Thanks, I would have guessed it was better.

oeo
04-05-2010, 09:24 PM
2002 w
2003 l
2004 nd
2005 w
2006 nd
2008 nd
2009 nd
2010 w

Still makes me mad that he didn't get the start in 2007. It would be nine straight years now. Plus we wouldn't have had to see Contreras get lit up.

gobears1987
04-05-2010, 09:26 PM
2006 would've been a win for Buehrle if the long rain delay didn't force him out of the game before he could finish the 5th inning. He was dominating up til that point.

SBSoxFan
04-05-2010, 09:26 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51w2rlnk-%2BL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

No problem

During the telecast, Hawk said, I think I have this correct, that the Sox lead the majors with 603 quality starts since 2003.

RedPinStripes
04-05-2010, 09:28 PM
Love it! Can't ask for a better opening day! :bandance:

Waysouthsider
04-05-2010, 09:28 PM
Awesome day.....I feel a WHOLE LOT better......!

And thank you sCrUBs for sucking as always and making our Sox look even better in contrast!

Jurr
04-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Ahhhh...baseball's back!
I always get nervous about opening day. The Koch and Contreras debacles always creep right in to mind. It was so good to see our boys spank Cleveland.

Great start. 99 more!!!

Johnny Mostil
04-05-2010, 09:55 PM
During the telecast, Hawk said, I think I have this correct, that the Sox lead the majors with 603 quality starts since 2003.

On-line (pre-)Game Notes indicate Sox had 610 quality starts since start of '03 season, more than any other team in majors, and five more than Cubs (whom I presume had second-most). Sox had 86 quality starts last year, most in AL and three more than Mariners. Buehrle leads majors with 189 quality starts since 2001.

Pierzynski also caught his 10,000th inning today.

infohawk
04-05-2010, 10:16 PM
Great win! That play by Buehrle was fantastic. I'm so glad that Rios had a good game. Sets the tone for his 2010.

kidmccarthy
04-05-2010, 11:13 PM
Great game. I cant remember a game where grady sizemore wasnt making mark sweat. good all around effort. I hope teahen can make some better contact and that we dont have to see linebrink, but today is just a nice day to enjoy. bring on more of those indians, they seem real bad.

jabrch
04-05-2010, 11:17 PM
That game was fantastic, but it didn't feel like a Sox game without Gene Honda :(

I was wondering what senseless stuff folks would complain about...

GoGoCrede
04-05-2010, 11:19 PM
I was wondering what senseless stuff folks would complain about...

Senseless is complaining about the long beer lines. Gene Honda is the voice of Sox games. It did feel odd without him (I got over it, though).

jabrch
04-05-2010, 11:21 PM
Senseless is complaining about the long beer lines. Gene Honda is the voice of Sox games. It did feel odd without him (I got over it, though).

It happens every year - how is it odd?

Just wait until no more Nancy...

GoGoCrede
04-05-2010, 11:22 PM
It happens every year - how is it odd?

Just wait until no more Nancy...

Actually, I didn't know that it happens every year. My bad. It was still a bit odd.

Nancy was wonderful today. She always livens up the games.

Rikirk
04-06-2010, 12:04 AM
Great opening to the season. Give Buehrle his bronze statue outside sox park now!

ramblinsoxfan11
04-06-2010, 12:10 AM
Now that's an Opening Day to remember!!! :gulp:

One game closer to a 162-0 season

Ranger
04-06-2010, 12:34 AM
Even though I'm happy about the win, the Sox are playing the Jndians after all. But, if this team thinks they're good, then I think they'll play like it.

They need to beat up on bad teams.

I'm holding out hope that the Sox will realize their mistake in getting rid of her and ask her back for next season.

This is all her call.

We were actually debating that in the stands today. My buddy was saying Ozzie should have sent up Andruw there. I think sticking with Kotsay was fine, because it was only the fifth inning. Never know if you're gonna see a tough right-handed reliever in the later innings, in which case you'd want Kotsay in the game. Also, we were already up 4-0 with our ace on the mound.

If we had been trailing, I would have used Jones in that situation.

You wouldn't see that in the 5th, even if they would've been trailing. Probably 7th inning or later.

jabrch
04-06-2010, 12:38 AM
You wouldn't see that in the 5th, even if they would've been trailing. Probably 7th inning or later.

Normally - you are right. I think with OG and this team, we will see a bit more of that. He's going to go on gut feel and do some things that will be arguable. Some will work - others won't. But I don't expect Guillen to manage consistently this year. I don't think that's a bad thing either.

TDog
04-06-2010, 12:47 AM
... You wouldn't see that in the 5th, even if they would've been trailing. Probably 7th inning or later.

I once saw Tony LaRussa pinch hit in the first after the A's knocked out the starting pitcher to maintain the lefty-righty percentages. But you're right. You generally don't see a manager burn a player like that until late in the game.

Bob Roarman
04-06-2010, 02:26 AM

Well to be fair, he's the voice of a lot of things. Just shows how good of a job he does.

oeo
04-06-2010, 02:51 AM
Great game. I cant remember a game where grady sizemore wasnt making mark sweat. good all around effort. I hope teahen can make some better contact and that we dont have to see linebrink, but today is just a nice day to enjoy. bring on more of those indians, they seem real bad.

Teahen did take one to the left field track. As long as he keeps going that way, he's going to be fine.

It's one game, though. I thought he looked fine at the plate, and he has been hitting the ball well lately.

ChiSoxGirl
04-06-2010, 08:03 AM
This is the first chance I've had to post about yesterday's opener- had to pack for my trip to Myrtle Beach and am currently sitting in Charlotte waiting for my connecting flight.

To me, everything about Opening Day was absolutely perfect- from the amazing weather to our awesome tailgate to Buehrle's great pitching and unbelievable play in the fifth. Yesterday was definitely one of the best days ever for me!

I've been watching baseball for 20 years and I'd never, ever seen a defensive play in person quite like the one Buehrle made yesterday. They replayed the heck out of that thing on the jumbotron when Herm Schneider went out to check on him and seeing the expression on both Buehrle's and Beckham's faces was worth the price of admission itself!

Yesterday was as perfect as an Opening Day could possibly be.May there be about 100 more games like it this season! :cheers:

Carolina Kenny
04-06-2010, 08:56 AM
On-line (pre-)Game Notes indicate Sox had 610 quality starts since start of '03 season, more than any other team in majors, and five more than Cubs (whom I presume had second-most). Sox had 86 quality starts last year, most in AL and three more than Mariners. Buehrle leads majors with 189 quality starts since 2001.

Pierzynski also caught his 10,000th inning today.

Does anyone know how many innings Fisk caught?

SI1020
04-06-2010, 09:10 AM
Does anyone know how many innings Fisk caught? 18511.2

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/f/fiskca01.shtml

October26
04-06-2010, 09:51 AM
I enjoyed watching the Sox home opener with my dad, who is 82 and has not been feeling well of late. We always love to see the Sox play well; especially on Opening Day.

My dad has the MLB Package and we watched a bunch of games concurrently. It was fantastic to overdose on baseball yesterday - I'm so glad baseball is back! :bandance: Go Sox!

Heffalump
04-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Great opener yesterday. Buehrle is unbelievable and the O and D performed well.

Let's keep in going! I am very excited to see Peavy tomorrow!

doublem23
04-06-2010, 09:21 PM
POTW from the Game Thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=13&id=3912)