PDA

View Full Version : Jack Cust?

SephClone89
04-05-2010, 11:44 AM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2010/04/as-designate-jack-cust-for-assignment-eric-chavez-to-be-everyday-dh/1

Anybody?

I would prefer him as the LH in the platoon if Kotsay doesn't cut it.

CWSpalehoseCWS
04-05-2010, 11:56 AM
I say let the Sox stick with what they have and go from there if anything doesn't work out. Kotsay and Jones looked good in ST, Cust, not so much. I know spring stats mean ****, but I'd prefer to let them see what they got.

munchman33
04-05-2010, 12:29 PM
I didn't realize Cust had such a tough year last year. Pass.

russ99
04-05-2010, 12:50 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2010/04/as-designate-jack-cust-for-assignment-eric-chavez-to-be-everyday-dh/1

Anybody?

I would prefer him as the LH in the platoon if Kotsay doesn't cut it.

Uh no. There's a reason the A's cut him. Power with no other MLB-level skills just doesn't cut it.

I'd hope Kenny would be after much better players if he does need to add a bat at some point.

guillen4life13
04-05-2010, 01:46 PM
I think he'd be an upgrade over Kotsay. More power and better at getting on base. But it would depend what he asks for money wise.

october23sp
04-05-2010, 01:51 PM
I'd actually rather have Kotsay over Cust.

soxinem1
04-05-2010, 02:16 PM
I'd actually rather have Kotsay over Cust.

Though I can't believe I'd say it would be better to have Kotsay as a DH over anyone, Cust is one of them. I'd pass.

TDog
04-05-2010, 03:08 PM
I think he'd be an upgrade over Kotsay. More power and better at getting on base. But it would depend what he asks for money wise.

The list of hitters who Cust would be an upgrade over is quite short, and Kotsay isn't on it.

The Sox showed no interest in Cust when he was available in the offseason. That is because he isn't a very good hitter, and he is atrocious in the field.

WSI has had this discussion before.

asindc
04-05-2010, 03:14 PM
No.

pythons007
04-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Cust = Thome Jr. no thank you.

TDog
04-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Cust = Thome Jr. no thank you.

You insult Thome Sr. I'm guessing a lot of White Sox fans haven't seen a lot of Jack Cust of late.

pythons007
04-06-2010, 09:29 AM
You insult Thome Sr. I'm guessing a lot of White Sox fans haven't seen a lot of Jack Cust of late.

Yes its very insulting, but Cust resembles Thome in a lot of ways in Thome's twilight years. Both are high OBP guys, strike out a lot, and basically are homer or nothing.

However, Thome wasn't like that his entire career. He had some 300 average years, with some very high 200s mixed in there as well. To give him credit he's a career .277 hitter.

Cust is worse than Adam Dunn, his high is .256! That is god awful.

TDog
04-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Yes its very insulting, but Cust resembles Thome in a lot of ways in Thome's twilight years. Both are high OBP guys, strike out a lot, and basically are homer or nothing.

However, Thome wasn't like that his entire career. He had some 300 average years, with some very high 200s mixed in there as well. To give him credit he's a career .277 hitter.

Cust is worse than Adam Dunn, his high is .256! That is god awful.

I see your point. Of course, the White Sox didn't re-sign Thome because they wanted to go in a different direction. It wasn't a matter of money. I can see how some fans who don't understand the direction or don't believe in the direction might look at Cust as an alternative. But Cust would be a serious downgrade over Thome, both in on-the-field performance and in character.

If you ask most A's fans who they would prefer on their roster, most would choose Kotsay over Cust, although you see a lot more people wearing Cust jerseys to the coliseum, but Kotsay hasn't played with the A's for a couple of years.