PDA

View Full Version : Sox hire the other Jerry

gregoriop
04-05-2010, 11:21 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5056444

To revamp the Dominican scouting system.

soxinem1
04-05-2010, 11:25 AM
Krause scouted with the White Sox in the 80's. He was always a good baseball talent evaluator.

khan
04-05-2010, 12:08 PM
If Krause was a scout for the SOX in a time that the talent level in the organization sucked ass, I'm not too sure about this hire.

Who did Krause scout/sign back in the '80s? Ron Karkovice(sp?)? I honestly can't recall a bumper crop of elite players being scouted/signed in that timeframe.

soxinem1
04-05-2010, 12:32 PM
If Krause was a scout for the SOX in a time that the talent level in the organization sucked ass, I'm not too sure about this hire.

Who did Krause scout/sign back in the '80s? Ron Karkovice(sp?)? I honestly can't recall a bumper crop of elite players being scouted/signed in that timeframe.

He actually recommended Roland Hemond acquire Ozzie Guillen from SD and sign Kenny Williams, who was also being scouted by many NFL teams even though he barely played any college football.

That was also an era when the GM was more known for his trades than minor league player development. Sort of like the current GM.

DrCrawdad
04-05-2010, 12:33 PM

http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/Ozzie%20Guillen%2001%208x10-V.jpg
http://product.images.fansedge.com/83-00/83-00219-F.jpg

DrCrawdad
04-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Maybe I'm in a minority here, but I like this move.

nug0hs
04-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Hmm, I thought of this Seinfeld episode when I read the title

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/ap/nyet34811211933.h2.jpg

:bandance:

asindc
04-05-2010, 12:36 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5056444

To revamp the Dominican scouting system.

For what it's worth, I was in the DR in November 2008 for a week. I took in a DR league (winter ball) game while there. I ran into a scout from the Tigers, and there were a few other scouts from other teams. None from the Sox. While passing through the airport gift shops, looking at billboards, advertisements, paraphernalia worn by DR citizens, and other public indications of support or awareness for MLB, I did not see any evidence that the Sox exist as far as DR citizens are concerned.

We are talking about a baseball-mad society here, folks. The gift shops I browsed at the airport featured caps from every MLB club except the Sox and maybe one or two other clubs (for the record, every other AL Central team had merchandise available in the shops). If I had not worn my Sox cap to the game, I would not have seen the Sox logo the whole time I was there.

Stating the obvious: This needs to change.

khan
04-05-2010, 12:39 PM
He actually recommended Roland Hemond acquire Ozzie Guillen from SD and sign Kenny Williams, who was also being scouted by many NFL teams even though he barely played any college football.
I didn't know that. So, 1 good move, and 1 "eh" move. KW the player wasn't exactly anything to write home about...

That was also an era when the GM was more known for his trades than minor league player development. Sort of like the current GM.
OK. But Krause was a scout, not a GM, no?

thomas35forever
04-05-2010, 04:14 PM
He'll stay away from the fans if he's smart.

gobears1987
04-05-2010, 07:13 PM
Krause destroyed the greatest dynasty of all-time, but he is one hell of a scout. Without him, we don't get Ozzie.

jabrch
04-05-2010, 07:16 PM
Krause destroyed the greatest dynasty of all-time,

I don't believe for a second that this is true.

Shoeless
04-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Krause destroyed the greatest dynasty of all-time, but he is one hell of a scout. Without him, we don't get Ozzie.
You mean the dynasty he also built? I think Phil Jackson destroyed that dynasty. If not him, then MJ's gambling problem.

GoGoCrede
04-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Totally thought the title was referring to Jerry Manuel for some reason.

SephClone89
04-05-2010, 08:11 PM

This.

jabrch
04-05-2010, 08:30 PM
You mean the dynasty he also built? I think Phil Jackson destroyed that dynasty. If not him, then MJ's gambling problem.

I think the time had come to an end. I don't think it was Krause's fault at all. There are many reasons why it happened. One of them was everyone got greedy and wanted more money...Pipp got the big sign and trade. MJ got the huge deal. Phil took time off - and eventually went to LA.

Krause? He was no more responsible than anyone else - including MJ.

soxfanreggie
04-05-2010, 09:44 PM

Oh no...no no no no no! I am glad the only time that he will be back at the Cell will be in the visitors' dugout.

slavko
04-05-2010, 11:48 PM

Stretch. A big stretch. Interesting that JR didn't burn any bridges when he fired him as GM. If he's still overweight and badly dressed he can't be too good of a scout.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-06-2010, 08:08 AM
Krause destroyed the greatest dynasty of all-time....

Says who? The Moron? Jordan was done, Pippen's contract was up, and Jackson was ready to move on without Krause.

Krause got Ozzie as a rookie. I think KW is a shrewd guy to get him on board to fix the scouting system.

rdwj
04-06-2010, 08:25 AM
Excellent move - I like it

Viva Medias B's
04-06-2010, 09:47 AM
Krause destroyed the greatest dynasty of all-time...

Biggest myth in the history of Chicago sports. To the people who claim the Bulls' dynasty was all "Michael, Phil, and Scottie," revisit your Bulls history. Sure, Jerry's job as Bulls GM in the post-Jordan years was mediocre, but he built that Bulls dynasty that Saint Michael the Air Angel profited off of. Krasue built the team around Jordan, who was drafted by Rod Thorn. Krause hired Phil; Krause drafted Scottie. People who continue to promote this myth are not Bulls fans; they are Jordan fans. If you want any idea what kind of person Michael Jordan really is, just watch his Hall of Fame speech.

And let me add, if we ever see a 7th Bulls title with Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah hoisting the Larry O'Brien Trophy, I'd consider it the greatest Bulls title in my lifetime. An entirely different regime, perhaps one yet to come, would be responsible for that.