PDA

View Full Version : Cool article in NYT about bonding over the White Sox

UofCSoxFan
04-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Cool story in the NYT by a sportscaster about Father-Daughter bonding over the White Sox (also mentioned in Peter King's SI column)...I'm sure a lot of us can relate, either as son's or daughters growing up or as parents.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/04/sports/baseball/04cheer.html?ref=sports

Mods...feel free to move if this doesn't belong here.

DSpivack
04-05-2010, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the link! Just reminds me of me when I was little pestering my dad with questions at a baseball game [whether at Comiskey II, Busch Stadium II, or even at Wrigley]. He didn't instill love for the Sox into me [he didn't really have one favorite team], but certainly the love for baseball overall.

soxinem1
04-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Whenever parents/kids can find a common ground over something, especially early in the child's life, it is always a good thing.

Especially if it is a dual White Sox Obsession!!!!!!:D::D:

BRDSR
04-05-2010, 11:49 AM
An excellent article. My Dad's favorite sport was football and mine was baseball. We did plenty of bonding over both, but it sure would've been fun if our favorites had aligned (well, if his favorite had been baseball :D:).

Off topic, but OP's signature always makes me laugh. What makes the picture awesome is that it clearly looks to me like it was taken at Wrigley Field.

g0g0
04-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Great stuff! I can only hope my son gets into it when he's a little older. There's just something about baseball that's different than any other sport when it comes to father/son/daughter/mother bonding IMO.

hawkjt
04-05-2010, 12:50 PM
I have always liked Revsine's work on the Big Ten Network,and his allegiance to the Sox,which he does not hide.

Sounds like a good dad also...good for him.:D:

wilburaga
04-05-2010, 01:05 PM
My daughter was cheering on the White Sox during the 2005 World Series at her college in Massachusetts. A bunch of freshly embittered Red Sox fans began harassing her, accusing her of being a front runner, and, worse a Yankee fan. After all, why would a Jersey girl cheer for the White Sox? She went to her room and returned with her Sox cap on, a ragged, weathered item that gave ample testimony as to the depth and duration of her Sox allegiance. Good girl.

DSpivack
04-05-2010, 01:11 PM
My daughter was cheering on the White Sox during the 2005 World Series at her college in Massachusetts. A bunch of freshly embittered Red Sox fans began harassing her, accusing her of being a front runner, and, worse a Yankee fan. After all, why would a Jersey girl cheer for the White Sox? She went to her room and returned with her Sox cap on, a ragged, weathered item that gave ample testimony as to the depth and duration of her Sox allegiance. Good girl.

She certainly had it harder than I did. In Atlanta in college, I was at a fellow WSI members apt., we went outside and sprayed champagne on each other. :)

cheezheadsoxfan
04-05-2010, 01:53 PM
Nice article. Reminds me of when I was 9 and asking my Dad "what's Looie Aparicio"? And I now have a White Sox fan daughter.:smile:

guillensdisciple
04-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Awesome article- I am happy my father and I shared baseball when I was growing up. Many a days were spent discussing the game, and practicing it.

Grew a connection that will never disappear.

ZachAL
04-05-2010, 10:02 PM
She certainly had it harder than I did. In Atlanta in college, I was at a fellow WSI members apt., we went outside and sprayed champagne on each other. :)

DSpivack! That champagne stung the eyes, but one of the greatest memories of my life!

DSpivack
04-05-2010, 10:58 PM
DSpivack! That champagne stung the eyes, but one of the greatest memories of my life!

:gulp: