PDA

View Full Version : Joe Crede....

getonbckthr
04-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Would it hurt to offer him a minor league deal in case Teahen doesn't work out or as an insurance policy for our outfield, Teahen and Konerko?

Boondock Saint
04-04-2010, 12:25 PM
Would it hurt to offer him a minor league deal in case Teahen doesn't work out or as an insurance policy for our outfield, Teahen and Konerko?

I don't think he or Boras are interested in a minor league deal. If that isn't the case, I'd love to have him back in the organization.

konerko 14
04-04-2010, 01:07 PM
I'd love to have Crede back!

tstrike2000
04-04-2010, 01:28 PM
I'd love to have Crede back!

Unfortunately, that also comes with Crede's back.

Rockabilly
04-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Would love to have Crede back.. I think his career is done though because of his back injury.

kittle42
04-04-2010, 02:15 PM
2005!

spawn
04-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Unfortunately, that also comes with Crede's back.
Thank you. Crede hasn't been able to stay healthy, yet people still want him on this team. Go figure.

TDog
04-04-2010, 02:26 PM
My guess is that if Joe Crede were interested in a minor league deal, he already would have signed one. I don't believe any team would give him a major league contract considering questions of his health, and it may be that Joe Crede has accepted his career is over. I really don't know.

I do know that I was disappointed that he didn't sign with the Giants last year, instead choosing to sign with the Twins. But that worked out OK, although the good young third baseman who emerged for the Giants last year may end up eating himself out of a baseball career.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-04-2010, 03:05 PM
I do know that I was disappointed that he didn't sign with the Giants last year, instead choosing to sign with the Twins. But that worked out OK, although the good young third baseman who emerged for the Giants last year may end up eating himself out of a baseball career.

I'm assuming you're talking about Sandoval.

Fat or not, the guy can hit. Prince Fielder isn't exactly a specimen of fitness either, yet I'd take him on the Sox, weight be damned.

palehozenychicty
04-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Thank you. Crede hasn't been able to stay healthy, yet people still want him on this team. Go figure.

For real. It's been over.

kevingrt
04-04-2010, 06:53 PM
For real. It's been over.

I wouldn't mind him in AAA as an insurance policy at the corner or DH in case we get the injury bug. Obviously that won't happen but I'm just saying.

TDog
04-04-2010, 07:16 PM

Fat or not, the guy can hit. Prince Fielder isn't exactly a specimen of fitness either, yet I'd take him on the Sox, weight be damned.

There is real concern among Giants officials that if Sandoval doesn't improve his conditioning that he won't be able in any shape to do any hitting late in the season. He certainly won't be able to play a full season at third base if he doesn't get his act together.

I look at players like Crede who can't play after working hard to develop his hitting while establishing himself as one of the best in the game at his position and then you look at Sandoval who is a much better natural hitter but could throw it all away by not working and I just have to shake my head.

Boondock Saint
04-04-2010, 08:04 PM
There is real concern among Giants officials that if Sandoval doesn't improve his conditioning that he won't be able in any shape to do any hitting late in the season. He certainly won't be able to play a full season at third base if he doesn't get his act together.

I look at players like Crede who can't play after working hard to develop his hitting while establishing himself as one of the best in the game at his position and then you look at Sandoval who is a much better natural hitter but could throw it all away by not working and I just have to shake my head.

Miguel Cabrera is almost the exact same story. If he would just keep his weight down, he might be an MVP/Gold Glove caliber third baseman right now. Instead, half of his immense talent is wasted at first base.

DumpJerry
04-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Sure, why not? Back in '05, he was a pretty good hitter.

For about five or six weeks.

DaveFeelsRight
04-04-2010, 08:23 PM
2005!home runs!

sullythered
04-04-2010, 08:38 PM

baseball-reference.com has Sandoval at 180 lbs!!! When was that, 5th grade?

The guy is awesome, though.

mzh
04-04-2010, 09:12 PM
baseball-reference.com has Sandoval at 180 lbs!!! When was that, 5th grade?

The guy is awesome, though.
MLB.com has him at 5'11, 245 :o:

Gotta be in the top few percent in the league...

gobears1987
04-07-2010, 02:16 PM
I really hate to say this, but I doubt Crede plays an inning at the major league level again.

soltrain21
04-07-2010, 03:03 PM
I wouldn't mind him in AAA as an insurance policy at the corner or DH in case we get the injury bug. Obviously that won't happen but I'm just saying.

I'll take my chance with what we got. Crede hit well for like six weeks total.

We could always see what Politte is doing if Santos doesn't pan out.

jabrch
04-07-2010, 03:12 PM
It couldn't hurt to do it - but I also don't believe it is likely to help. Teahen has the job for now, but Morel is the 3B of the future. Not sure if that is in 1, 2 or 3 years...

NLaloosh
04-07-2010, 03:14 PM
How much money do you think Borass cost Crede by not letting him sign long term with the Sox ?

asindc
04-07-2010, 03:28 PM
How much money do you think Borass cost Crede by not letting him sign long term with the Sox ?

More than he will ever admit.

TheOldRoman
04-07-2010, 03:47 PM

For about five or six weeks.Yeah, and then the entire playoffs, and then the first half of 2006 until his back got really bad. He had finally became a good hitter. I am not saying the Sox should sign him to even a minor league deal, but it is BS to claim he was only good for a month out of his career. The end of 2005 wasn't a fluke for him, other than the fact that his back was relatively healthy then.

Frontman
04-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Crede became a great hitter....which puts torque on the back....what's Joe's lingering issues again?

Look; I will always appreciate Joe. I felt he was a player robbed a few times (All star appearances if A-Rod wasn't a Yankee; a Gold Glove if A-Rod wasn't a Yankee; and I would make an argument that Joe was the MVP of the World Series more than Dye.) But; as the Van Halen song goes, "Dream another dream, this dream is over."

guillen4life13
04-07-2010, 05:13 PM
Crede became a great hitter....which puts torque on the back....what's Joe's lingering issues again?

Look; I will always appreciate Joe. I felt he was a player robbed a few times (All star appearances if A-Rod wasn't a Yankee; a Gold Glove if A-Rod wasn't a Yankee; and I would make an argument that Joe was the MVP of the World Series more than Dye.) But; as the Van Halen song goes, "Dream another dream, this dream is over."

But I thought he was to follow the Journey song: "Don't stop believing"

BTW, the Van Halen song is way better. Definitely the best song on that album and one of the songs that convinced me to get serious about the guitar. That verse riff is just awesome.

Noneck
04-07-2010, 10:39 PM
Crede became a great hitter

Joe was never a great hitter, just a couple hot streaks he had. He became a average to good hitter at the end with the Sox.

Frontman
04-07-2010, 10:50 PM
Joe was never a great hitter, just a couple hot streaks he had. He became a average to good hitter at the end with the Sox.

How about a good hitter who was great when it came for timely hitting?

Noneck
04-07-2010, 10:56 PM
How about a good hitter who was great when it came for timely hitting?

I loved Joe so I am not going to argue with that but being a clutch hitter isnt going to put that torque on his back. How he got his back troubles has nothing to do with him turning into a average to good hitter and very good in the clutch.

Frontman
04-08-2010, 06:11 AM
I loved Joe so I am not going to argue with that but being a clutch hitter isnt going to put that torque on his back. How he got his back troubles has nothing to do with him turning into a average to good hitter and very good in the clutch.

Looking at footage of Joe's home run/power swing; you can see how he really drives through, putting a lot of pressure onto his lower back. Not exactly sure where his injuries are; but that couldn't of been good.

Either way; the point is moot. Joe's back is now shot; and it probably cut short a brilliant career in baseball.

Foulke You
04-27-2010, 06:02 PM

For about five or six weeks.
In addition to those 6 weeks in '05, Joe also put together a fantastic 2006 season. .280 avg 30HRs 94RBIs and 31 doubles for the Sox in 2006. I'm NOT advocating a return of Joe Crede, just pointing out that he didn't just have "one hot streak". He followed it up with a great season and was emerging as one of the game's best offensive and defensive 3B when the back injury started to bite him in 2007 and he was never the same player. It's too bad, I loved Joe Crede but he is likely done.

Huisj
04-27-2010, 07:21 PM
In addition to those 6 weeks in '05, Joe also put together a fantastic 2006 season. .280 avg 30HRs 94RBIs and 31 doubles for the Sox in 2006. I'm NOT advocating a return of Joe Crede, just pointing out that he didn't just have "one hot streak". He followed it up with a great season and was emerging as one of the game's best offensive and defensive 3B when the back injury started to bite him in 2007 and he was never the same player. It's too bad, I loved Joe Crede but he is likely done.

And also don't forget the first half he put together in 2008. As of June 22 that season, Crede was hitting .273-15-45 with an .862 OPS. Then things flared up again, he sat out for a few games, and he never hit right again when he came back because he just wasn't healthy.

So yeah, 6 weeks + the playoffs + all of 2006 + half of 2007...

TheOldRoman
04-27-2010, 09:27 PM
And also don't forget the first half he put together in 2008. As of June 22 that season, Crede was hitting .273-15-45 with an .862 OPS. Then things flared up again, he sat out for a few games, and he never hit right again when he came back because he just wasn't healthy.

So yeah, 6 weeks + the playoffs + all of 2006 + half of 2007...Actually, it was only about half or 2/3 of 2006. His back started getting bad at the end of 06 and his numbers tailed off. His numbers were more impressive before that.

slavko
04-27-2010, 10:50 PM
More than he will ever admit.

Didn't know when to hold 'em, fold 'em. The agent is a formula guy, not a situational thinker. Saved us a bundle.

Huisj
04-28-2010, 05:07 PM
Actually, it was only about half or 2/3 of 2006. His back started getting bad at the end of 06 and his numbers tailed off. His numbers were more impressive before that.

We'll call it 5/6 of the year for 2006. He was very good in August, but hit only .179 in September.

GoGoCrede
04-28-2010, 05:09 PM
Has he officially retired yet, or is he still looking for work?

salty99
04-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Has he officially retired yet, or is he still looking for work?

Still looking

Thome25
04-28-2010, 07:44 PM
Why don't we sign Crazy Carl, Pablo Ozuna, and trade for Rowand while we're at it? Party like it's 2005!!!