PDA

View Full Version : Schedule analysis: White Sox advantage?

Zakath
04-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Looking over the schedules for what are arguably the three contenders in the AL Central and given the unbalanced scheduling, it looks like the Sox get a fairly decent advantage over the Tigers, while comparing our schedule with the Twins is pretty much a wash (they have an advantage in the intraleague schedule, while we have a big advantage in the interleague schedule). Any advantage you can get in a division that will probably be decided by a couple of games will help.

Division schedule:
Everyone plays the same schedule, 9 at home and 9 on the road against each division opponent. The advantage the Sox have is that every division opponent plays their last series against the Sox at US Cellular.

Long road trips (pretty much a wash, though one of the Sox road trips includes an 8-mile journey):
Sox have 3 road trips longer than 7 games - June 11-20 (3 @CHC, 3 @PIT, 3 @WSH), July 15-25 (4 @MIN, 3 @SEA, 3 @OAK), and August 30-September 9 (3 @CLE, 3 @BOS, 4 @DET)
Twins have 3 road trips longer than 7 games - April 23-May 2 (3 @KC, 3 @DET, 3 @CLE), June 18-27 (3 @PHI, 3 @MIL, 3 @NYM), and August 2-12 (4 @TB, 3 @CLE, 3 @CWS)
Tigers have 3 road trips longer than 7 games - April 16-26 (3 @SEA, 4 @LAA, 4 @TEX), June 22-30 (3 @NYM, 3 @ATL, 3 @MIN), and August 26-September 5 (4 @TOR, 3 @MIN, 3 @KC)

League "big boys" (NYY, BOS, LAA, Minnesota with an advantage):
Sox - 22 games (vs. BOS 4H, 3R, vs. NYY 3H, 3R, vs. LAA 6H, 3R)
Twins - 18 games (vs. BOS 3H, 2R, vs. NYY 3H, 3R, vs. LAA 3H, 4R)
Tigers - 24 games (vs. BOS 3H, 3R, vs. NYY 4H, 4R, vs. LAA 6H, 4R)

Interleague play (Sox with an advantage):
Sox - 3 vs. ATL, 3 vs. CHC, 3 vs. FLA, 3 @CHC, 3 @PIT, 3 @WSH (no division winners, and play arguably the two weakest NL teams on the road)
Twins - 3 vs. MIL, 3 vs. ATL, 3 vs. COL, 3 @MIL, 3 @NYM, 3 @PHI (do not get to play Pittsburgh or Washington, and have to go to NL champion Philadelphia)
Tigers - 3 vs. ARI, 3 vs. PIT, 3 vs. WSH, 3 @ ATL, 3 @LAD, 3 @NYM (don't play the same team for two series, play the two weakest NL teams at home, and have to go to NL West Champion LA)

If you want teams that got screwed by the schedule, as if the Indians weren't going to be bad enough, they have 25 games vs. the big boys (vs. BOS 4H, 4R, vs. NYY 4H, 4R, vs. LAA 3H, 6R) and also have to go to Philadelphia.

cws05champ
04-04-2010, 10:56 AM
Looking over the schedules for what are arguably the three contenders in the AL Central and given the unbalanced scheduling, it looks like the Sox get a fairly decent advantage over the Tigers, while comparing our schedule with the Twins is pretty much a wash (they have an advantage in the intraleague schedule, while we have a big advantage in the interleague schedule). Any advantage you can get in a division that will probably be decided by a couple of games will help.

Division schedule:
Everyone plays the same schedule, 9 at home and 9 on the road against each division opponent. The advantage the Sox have is that every division opponent plays their last series against the Sox at US Cellular.

Long road trips (pretty much a wash, though one of the Sox road trips includes an 8-mile journey):
Sox have 3 road trips longer than 7 games - June 11-20 (3 @CHC, 3 @PIT, 3 @WSH), July 15-25 (4 @MIN, 3 @SEA, 3 @OAK), and August 30-September 9 (3 @CLE, 3 @BOS, 4 @DET)
Twins have 3 road trips longer than 7 games - April 23-May 2 (3 @KC, 3 @DET, 3 @CLE), June 18-27 (3 @PHI, 3 @MIL, 3 @NYM), and August 2-12 (4 @TB, 3 @CLE, 3 @CWS)
Tigers have 3 road trips longer than 7 games - April 16-26 (3 @SEA, 4 @LAA, 4 @TEX), June 22-30 (3 @NYM, 3 @ATL, 3 @MIN), and August 26-September 5 (4 @TOR, 3 @MIN, 3 @KC)

League "big boys" (NYY, BOS, LAA, Minnesota with an advantage):
Sox - 22 games (vs. BOS 4H, 3R, vs. NYY 3H, 3R, vs. LAA 6H, 3R)
Twins - 18 games (vs. BOS 3H, 2R, vs. NYY 3H, 3R, vs. LAA 3H, 4R)
Tigers - 24 games (vs. BOS 3H, 3R, vs. NYY 4H, 4R, vs. LAA 6H, 4R)

Interleague play (Sox with an advantage):
Sox - 3 vs. ATL, 3 vs. CHC, 3 vs. FLA, 3 @CHC, 3 @PIT, 3 @WSH (no division winners, and play arguably the two weakest NL teams on the road)
Twins - 3 vs. MIL, 3 vs. ATL, 3 vs. COL, 3 @MIL, 3 @NYM, 3 @PHI (do not get to play Pittsburgh or Washington, and have to go to NL champion Philadelphia)
Tigers - 3 vs. ARI, 3 vs. PIT, 3 vs. WSH, 3 @ ATL, 3 @LAD, 3 @NYM (don't play the same team for two series, play the two weakest NL teams at home, and have to go to NL West Champion LA)

If you want teams that got screwed by the schedule, as if the Indians weren't going to be bad enough, they have 25 games vs. the big boys (vs. BOS 4H, 4R, vs. NYY 4H, 4R, vs. LAA 3H, 6R) and also have to go to Philadelphia.
Looks like the Sox and Twins schedules are pretty similar...no real advantage from what I believe to be the main competition in the division. This is why Inter-league play sucks...if you have the wild card you should have the same teams on the docket as all other AL teams. I liked inter-league at first but have grown tired of it. Especially the Cubs games...should be only 3 per year instead of the H & H.

LITTLE NELL
04-04-2010, 11:06 AM
I'm from the old school were I believe that no team should have any schedule advantage with every team in the division playing the same opponents the same amount of times.
The division schedule is great with the Sox, Minn, Det, Clev and KC playing each other 18 times, its when you get out of the division were things are a mess.
I think MLB must address this issue and somehow balance out the schedule.

Corlose 15
04-04-2010, 11:16 AM
What happened to divisions playing divisions in interleague play so that everyone plays the same teams aside from when you have the rivarly games?

LITTLE NELL
04-04-2010, 11:20 AM
What happened to divisions playing divisions in interleague play so that everyone plays the same teams aside from when you have the rivarly games?

Excellent question, in fact who needs the rivalry games?
We don't need to play the Cubs 6 times every year.

doublem23
04-04-2010, 12:11 PM

Says the guy who lives in Florida. I'll take Cubs/Sox 10 times out of 10 over Sox/Any other NL team.

SephClone89
04-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Says the guy who lives in Florida. I'll take Cubs/Sox 10 times out of 10 over Sox/Any other NL team.

I'd rather play the Brewers or the Cards more often. I really think we need to cut down the Sox/Cubs series to three a year.

Lip Man 1
04-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Corlose:

The original idea for interleague play went by the boards a few years ago because owners were upset that they weren't having the chance to face the high profile Eastern teams in their home cities. (Good draw for their fans...)

Lip

whitem0nkey
04-04-2010, 12:43 PM

these games bring in more people, we get more money, and we can do more baseball moves with that money.

Boondock Saint
04-04-2010, 01:07 PM

Speak for yourself. Living out here, we see enough of the Cubs. I'd rather take those six games we play them every year and play some NL East/West teams.

SephClone89
04-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Speak for yourself. Living out here, we see enough of the Cubs. I'd rather take those six games we play them every year and play some NL East/West teams.

This. I'd love to play the Dodgers, Giants, Phillies or Mets more often.

doublem23
04-04-2010, 01:26 PM

You can watch all those teams when they play the Cubs. The Sox/Cubs game are a guaranteed 3-game sellout at prime ticket prices. More revenue = Good.

Plus, they're always good games. Even during a god awful season like last year, the Cubs/Sox games were great.

Tragg
04-04-2010, 02:47 PM
The Twins appear to have just about as challenging an interleague slate as you can find. We have a big edge there.

Otherwise, the BP types will tell you that the Angels are the one team that doesn't have a chance in the West; now I think that, coupled with their love for the As no matter what players are on that team, is silly. BUT, I think the West is deeper than 1 team.
Tampa should be considered an AL big boy

pudge
04-04-2010, 08:10 PM
Cubs/Sox games are never getting reduced because they make money. And as people have mentioned, more money is good for both teams in the city. Although I agree that six games is overkill - I personally wish it was just three. But again, I'll take the revenue until baseball has some sort of salary cap.

I just can't stand seeing teams like KC and DET 19 times a year - I get so sick of those teams, and it doesn't help that they're rather boring. I'd much rather go back to the days of a complete balanced AL schedule, but I'm sure there are good reasons why they won't do that. Probably too much travel.