PDA

View Full Version : Just a reminder: "What it Means to Be a White Sox tonight" on WGN.

SephClone89
04-04-2010, 08:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-NZEEW1cpQ

This is on at 7pm, on both WGN-9 AND WGN America. Should be pretty cool; they had a three or four minute preview during one of the spring broadcasts. It's always nice to see some Sox programming.

Shoeless
04-04-2010, 09:12 AM
Followed directly by "What it means to be a Cub". They must have spent a lot of money on fans crying for an entire hour.

konerko 14
04-04-2010, 09:40 AM
sounds like it's gonna be pretty good

tick53
04-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the reminder. I almost forgot. :smile:

esbrechtel
04-04-2010, 12:01 PM
dvr is set...

MarySwiss
04-04-2010, 12:08 PM
Thanks! I would have missed this; I rarely watch WGN anymore. :smile:

Thome25
04-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Does anyone have an internet feed of this for us out-of-towners? If so, please PM the link......thanks!!

ramblinsoxfan11
04-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Just finished watching it, that was really well made and definitely got me pumped for Opening Day :)

btw I never realized how the whole Sox clubhouse has been there for decades, that is really cool how it seems almost like a family atmosphere. Go White Sox!!!

konerko 14
04-04-2010, 08:24 PM
loved hearing the world series baseball story from Paulie :smile:

GoGoCrede
04-04-2010, 08:32 PM
I really enjoyed hearing Billy and Minnie speak. Billy's always been one of my favorites.

GlassSox
04-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Very enjoyable show.

sox1970
04-04-2010, 09:14 PM
It was good.

But Hawk Harrelson calling the White Sox the best organization in baseball, and citing one of the reasons as the farm system, was a real "Who You Crappin'" moment.

skobabe8
04-04-2010, 09:26 PM
Is it on again?

Lip Man 1
04-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Just got done watching on Superstation WGN one of the most amazing shows I've seen in a long time. "What It Means To Be A White Sox."

If you have the chance to see it (I don't know if it will be shown again) you absolutely have to.

They talked to numerous guys who wore the uniform...great players and people like Bill Melton, Billy Pierce, Donn Pall, Ron Kittle, "Jungle" Jim Rivera, Robin Ventura, Gary Peters, Joe Horlen, Luis Aparicio...literally a role call of some of the greatest White Sox players in the last 50 years.

But to me what really made the show, was actual film and TV footage from the 1950's, 1960's, 1970's and 1980's. I've got a lot of stuff in my video White Sox library but some of the stuff shown tonight I didn't even know still existed.

Honest to God, watching some of it brought tears to my eyes.

I just wanted to alert all of you about the show.

Again one of the finest White Sox documentary / shows I've ever seen!

Hope all is well with all of you and HAPPY OPENING DAY!

Lip

manders_01
04-04-2010, 10:15 PM
I didn't see this thread in enough time and completely missed it. :(: I'm crossing my fingers that it's played again or available on DVD someday.

Lorenzo Barcelo
04-04-2010, 10:19 PM
I'm sure this will be played during a rain delay (for a WGN game) this year. Hopefully they replay it for the people that missed it though.

GoGoCrede
04-04-2010, 10:22 PM
It was good.

But Hawk Harrelson calling the White Sox the best organization in baseball, and citing one of the reasons as the farm system, was a real "Who You Crappin'" moment.

Yeah, I snorted out loud at that little gem.

I didn't see this thread in enough time and completely missed it. :(: I'm crossing my fingers that it's played again or available on DVD someday.

It's available in book version, apparently.

TomBradley72
04-05-2010, 08:02 AM
But to me what really made the show, was actual film and TV footage from the 1950's, 1960's, 1970's and 1980's. I've got a lot of stuff in my video White Sox library but some of the stuff shown tonight I didn't even know still existed.

Honest to God, watching some of it brought tears to my eyes.

I just wanted to alert all of you about the show.

Again one of the finest White Sox documentary / shows I've ever seen!

Hope all is well with all of you and HAPPY OPENING DAY!

Lip

I agree Lip...the early 70's highlights of Dick Allen, Carlos May and Bill Melton was AWESOME...and very high quality.

Would have liked to see a mention of the 1993(Jackson's homer in the division clincher) and 2000 teams as well as a little more on the '77 team...but overall a GREAT show.

Milw
04-05-2010, 09:35 AM
I appreciated how well done it was and how much effort went into the production of it. That said, as someone born in the 80s, the show as a whole wasn't real accessible to me. There was a fair amount of time spent on the 2005 team (although I felt, in context, there needed to be more) and the 90s and the rest of the 2000s seemed to have gotten only cursory, superficial mentions. I don't recall the 1993, 2000 or 2008 teams barely getting mentioned, even though a good five minutes was spent on the 1983 team. And a disproportionate amount of time spent on the 50s, 60s and 70s.

Again, that's just my perspective as someone who can't really relate to White Sox baseball pre-late 80s. Minor quibbles in an otherwise well done show, though.

RhubarbStew
04-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Yeah I found this really entertaining. Ditto on seeing seeing some rare old footage. Very cool seeing Melton throw across the diamond to Allen at first and jacking one out to left field.

Railsplitter
04-05-2010, 10:02 AM
I liked seeing some of the guys I remember from whan I was a kid. They left out one little tidbit about Carlos May: he's the only big leaguer to wear his birthday (May 17) on the back of his uniform.

dickallen15
04-05-2010, 10:14 AM
I liked seeing some of the guys I remember from whan I was a kid. They left out one little tidbit about Carlos May: he's the only big leaguer to wear his birthday (May 17) on the back of his uniform.

He's also the only player I know that hit a ball over the wall on opening day but was only credited with a triple as he missed home plate running around the bases.

DSpivack
04-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Completely forgot about this last night. Hopefully they'll play it again.

Mendoza Line
04-05-2010, 10:46 AM
Completely forgot about this last night. Hopefully they'll play it again.

I have a feeling this will be a staple of "rain delay theater" :smile:

Vestigio
04-05-2010, 10:52 AM
I appreciated how well done it was and how much effort went into the production of it. That said, as someone born in the 80s, the show as a whole wasn't real accessible to me. There was a fair amount of time spent on the 2005 team (although I felt, in context, there needed to be more) and the 90s and the rest of the 2000s seemed to have gotten only cursory, superficial mentions. I don't recall the 1993, 2000 or 2008 teams barely getting mentioned, even though a good five minutes was spent on the 1983 team. And a disproportionate amount of time spent on the 50s, 60s and 70s.

Again, that's just my perspective as someone who can't really relate to White Sox baseball pre-late 80s. Minor quibbles in an otherwise well done show, though.

I'm also born of the late '80s but I had no problem with the time that wasnt spent on the '93, '00, and '08 teams because I knew most of what occurred during those seasons. Its the teams prior to my birth that made the show the most interesting. I was watching it with my dad so it was real cool to hear the stories that he had about the teams that he grew up watching.

Lip Man 1
04-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Milw:

You need to learn all you can about the history of the franchise. These type shows are good for you.

Regarding Carlos May, he talks about his injury AND missing home plate in the only regularly scheduled opening day DH in MLB history in my interview with him for WSI.

Lip

TomBradley72
04-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Had a chance to skim through the new book "What it Means to Be a White Sox" at the Borders last week...looks pretty good as well.

MarySwiss
04-05-2010, 02:05 PM
I watched this earlier today and it got me wondering....

Has WGN ever released a video of the 2005 parade? I taped it, but since I didn't know how long it would be, I taped it on SLP, and it's started to fade.

eriqjaffe
04-05-2010, 02:32 PM
I don't think they ever did. IIRC, there's some bits of it on the World Series DVD set, but not much.

MarySwiss
04-05-2010, 02:50 PM
I don't think they ever did. IIRC, there's some bits of it on the World Series DVD set, but not much.

Yep, very little. Too bad. I'd bet a lot of Sox fans would purchase such a video. Especially Sox fans who were at the parade because they obviously were not able to view the whole thing. And it was pretty damn impressive. :D:

Nellie_Fox
04-05-2010, 02:58 PM
I watched this earlier today and it got me wondering....

Has WGN ever released a video of the 2005 parade? I taped it, but since I didn't know how long it would be, I taped it on SLP, and it's started to fade.
Copy it onto a DVD before it wears out completely.

MarySwiss
04-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Copy it onto a DVD before it wears out completely.

Thanks, Nellie! I think I'll have it professionally copied!

It's long because I didn't know exactly what would happen when. But I was actually glad I wasn't in Chicago because I would've gone to the parade--and missed a lot! :D:

Milw
04-05-2010, 04:53 PM
Milw:

You need to learn all you can about the history of the franchise. These type shows are good for you.

Regarding Carlos May, he talks about his injury AND missing home plate in the only regularly scheduled opening day DH in MLB history in my interview with him for WSI.

Lip
I know my Sox history, thank you. I didn't learn anything new from this show. But stuff that happened before I was born doesn't resonate with me on an emotional level, that's all.

Lip Man 1
04-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Milw:

That's fine, than at least you should have enjoyed seeing rare TV footage from the 1970's.

ANYTHING involving the White Sox resonates with me, regardless of when it took place, but that's just me.

Lip

longshot7
04-05-2010, 05:36 PM
anyone know if there are plans to re-air this?