PDA

View Full Version : Is this at all realistic? (doubleheader related)

SephClone89
04-04-2010, 01:45 AM
What if each team scheduled one true doubleheader a season? They could market it as a special event that could really put butts into seats. They could even mark up ticket prices to, say, 2/3rds of the price of two tickets.

I feel like this would be good for teams who have trouble drawing fans to the park.

Nellie_Fox
04-04-2010, 02:27 AM
What if each team scheduled one true doubleheader a season? They could market it as a special event that could really put butts into seats. They could even mark up ticket prices to, say, 2/3rds of the price of two tickets.

I feel like this would be good for teams who have trouble drawing fans to the park.I'd like it, but they'd have to negotiate it with the players' association, since I believe that the CBA prohibits regularly-scheduled double headers.

BNLSox
04-04-2010, 02:57 AM
I love the idea as well, but perhaps we're not the right people to be asking since we're all clearly BIG baseball fans. We'd want to better understand how such an offering would draw new people to the park.

From a marketing standpoint, why would a doubleheader offering draw more fans to a park that struggles to fill seats at a price point of 2/3's the cost of two games? I think the only way a team with poor attendance could make this work would be to offer up the second game free and focus on making money on concessions and merchandise.

I assume though that Sat/Sun draw isn't a big issue even for teams that have lower avg. attendance. Anyone have splits on those figures?

Love the idea though. Doubleheaders are a blast!

DumpJerry
04-04-2010, 08:49 AM
The only people who like doubleheaders are the fans. Players hate them for obvious reasons (especially now that amphetamines are banned) and owners hate them (even with your idea of a 2/3 markup, they lose money on ticket sales overall since there is now a discounted game on the schedule). Since the fans are the low people on totem pole, we lose out.

cws05champ
04-04-2010, 11:01 AM
I would like each team to schedule one DH a month. They could shorten the season by a week and start the post season the last week of Sept. I know it's not realistic, but if they had most as split DH the owners may not lose too much $$.

TDog
04-04-2010, 01:26 PM
he 1970 White Sox would not have been nearly as bad if they didn't play regularly scheduled doubleheaders on most Sundays. I think they had 13 scheduled, but that might have included one or two scheduled twi-nighters. They would lose a tough first game and then get pounded with their spot starter on the mound and a few of the regulars, like Aparicio or Melton, getting rested. Or Tommy John would shut out the Yankees and after a half-hour break, Barry Moore would come out and get ripped. But generally a Sunday doubleheader against the 1970 White Sox was two wins for whoever was playing the White Sox.

Doubleheaders are not nearly as bad as those day-night things where they play two games in one day and charge two admissions. By the baseball rulebook, these are not defined as doubleheaders. That is what the players' union should oppose. The time between games generally is considerably more than a half hour, so they make for a longer day at the ballpark. As I understand it, players on both teams have to agree to play a day-nighter. I would love to see players refuse.