PDA

View Full Version : Reds SP Mike Leake To Skip Minors

DSpivack
04-03-2010, 11:00 PM
First player to head straight to the major leagues since Xavier Nady in 2000.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100402&content_id=9056296&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

DumpJerry
04-03-2010, 11:11 PM
The Reds are a major league team?

WhiteSox5187
04-03-2010, 11:22 PM

:rolleyes: They are going to be a very very good team in a few years with a rotation of Volquez (if he can come back), Cueto, Chapman, and this kid. Plus Homer Bailey was pretty good to end the season last year. There's a chance they might be able to compete this year too.

DSpivack
04-03-2010, 11:30 PM
:rolleyes: They are going to be a very very good team in a few years with a rotation of Volquez (if he can come back), Cueto, Chapman, and this kid. Plus Homer Bailey was pretty good to end the season last year. There's a chance they might be able to compete this year too.

In the NL Central, that's certainly possible.

Frater Perdurabo
04-04-2010, 03:03 AM
The biggest thing keeping the Reds from winning the NL Central is that they don't get to play the Reds 18 times per year.

doublem23
04-04-2010, 05:44 AM

:rolleyes:

We won a whopping 1 more game than they did last season.

Frater Perdurabo
04-04-2010, 07:34 AM
:rolleyes:

We won a whopping 1 more game than they did last season.

They got to play the Pirates 18 times.

doublem23
04-04-2010, 07:57 AM
They got to play the Pirates 18 times.

We got to play the Indians and Royals 18 times a piece.

goon
04-04-2010, 09:37 AM
We got to play the Indians and Royals 18 times a piece.

The NL and the NL Central is worse. Not even a point to argue.

That said, that's pretty impressive with the type of pitching depth the Reds have, I'm kind of embarrassed to admit I've never heard of the guy.

The list in the link is interesting. There are some great players to skip the minors, I knew about Dave Winfield, didn't know Olerud did that.

Rdy2PlayBall
04-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Why isn't an NL Central team moved to the AL West? Sorry, just looking at the 2009 standings and needed to know why the Central has 6 teams...

DumpJerry
04-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Why isn't an NL Central team moved to the AL West? Sorry, just looking at the 2009 standings and needed to know why the Central has 6 teams...
It's the Grand Design to torture Cub fans.

doublem23
04-04-2010, 10:34 AM

Because then there'd be 15 teams in each league, which means interleague all season long.

doublem23
04-04-2010, 10:35 AM
The NL and the NL Central is worse. Not even a point to argue.

The NL is definitely worse than the AL on a whole, but it's not a stretch to argue the AL Central was the worst division in all of baseball last year. Every team sucked.

DirtySox
04-04-2010, 10:42 AM
I'm a fan of Leake, but I don't really like this move. Most scouts see Leake very close to his ceiling and the argument is that he won't really gain much from minor league time, and that he might as well learn while in the major league rotation.

That being said, the Reds are my NL team and I look forward to watching this play out. This team has some impressive young talent, especially in the pitching department, and Votto/Bruce are nothing to sneeze at either. Don't sleep.

DSpivack
04-04-2010, 10:44 AM
I'm a fan of Leake, but I don't really like this move. Most scouts see Leake very close to his ceiling and the argument is that he won't really gain much from minor league time, and that he might as well learn while in the major league rotation.

That being said, the Reds are my NL team and I look forward to watching this play out. This team has some impressive young talent, especially in the pitching department, and Votto/Bruce are nothing to sneeze at either. Don't sleep.

How close is Alonso to being ready to play in the bigs? What happens to Votto and him when he is ready?

DirtySox
04-04-2010, 10:53 AM
How close is Alonso to being ready to play in the bigs? What happens with and Votto when he is ready?

He didn't have the most impressive spring. (Small sample size though) He is going to be playing in AAA Louisville. I don't think he is that far away, but it should be interesting to see how his power numbers rebound from the broken hamate. As far as position goes, he has been playing LF very often which is probably the best place to stash away a player with questionable defense if 1B is occupied. There was also talk of 3B and C, (mostly by Dusty) but catcher isn't going to happen.

If he starts mashing sometime this year, the mediocrity in LF won't block him from a promotion.

I know I say this every time, but the Reds really screwed up in passing on Beckham.

Hendu
04-04-2010, 11:06 AM
I watched MLB Network's Reds version of 30 Teams in 30 Days last night. They're going to be a fun team to watch over the next couple of years, but Dusty Baker is the wrong manager to develop a young pitching staff.

goon
04-04-2010, 04:05 PM
The NL is definitely worse than the AL on a whole, but it's not a stretch to argue the AL Central was the worst division in all of baseball last year. Every team sucked.

Whatever. You can't compare records is the point. The Indians, White Sox, Royals, whoever, may have had similar or worse records than the Reds, they also played against better competition in the AL. Those teams face the likes of the Yankees, Red Sox, Mariners, Rays, Angels, Rangers, Twins all season long with the exception of a couple of weeks of interleague. The Reds, on a whole, faced worse teams, worse pitching staffs, lineups, you can't really compare records from NL to AL.

It's fair to assume that had the Reds played in the AL, they would have lost a lot more games.

DirtySox
04-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Leake makes his debut today against the Cubs at noon.

While not quite as interesting as a Chapman or Strasburg first start, still something to notice. I never had a chance to see him while he was with ASU, so I'm looking forward to seeing his repertoire.

The Pre-Game Scouting Report: Leake’s fastball is said to be in the 88-94 mph range and it sits 89-91 mph. It is also said to have natural cutting action and good movement. When he’s on, he should produce a good number of ground-ball outs. As for his secondary stuff, he is said to have a 79-82 mph slider, a solid change-up and a show-me curveball. His control is good, his command is plus. Just 6′0”, he’s athletic, durable, and has good mound presence.

DirtySox
04-11-2010, 12:48 PM
Didn't get to watch Leake's first inning, but the fastball has tons of movement. Only seen him touch 90 once. The changeup looks very good, and the slider isn't bad either. He looks as indicated a rather polished product.

Edit: Gets his first hit in his first AB as well.

OldRomanPizza
04-11-2010, 11:52 PM
Strangely enough, I was at this game today.

I spent the weekend in Lexington and my buddies and I stopped in Cincy on the drive back home. I had no idea of Leake's story until just a few moments ago, to be honest! I would say it was an encouraging debut for him, and went 2/2 at the plate to boot!

I kept score at the game so I will be hoping for Mr. Leake to become a Cy Young winner and get to say I have the scorecard from his debut!

WhiteSoxFTW
04-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Didn't get to watch Leake's first inning, but the fastball has tons of movement. Only seen him touch 90 once. The changeup looks very good, and the slider isn't bad either. He looks as indicated a rather polished product.

Edit: Gets his first hit in his first AB as well.
I watched his first inning. He let the bases get loaded with no outs and then got out of the inning. If I'm not mistaken, he walked Theriot to start off the game.

DirtySox
04-12-2010, 11:25 AM
I watched his first inning. He let the bases get loaded with no outs and then got out of the inning. If I'm not mistaken, he walked Theriot to start off the game.

Yea. I heard the bases were loaded, but I wasn't sure how the base-runners got on.

7 walks is obviously unacceptable, but not a shock with it being his first start and skipping the minors and everything. I was somewhat surprised he didn't touch the lower 90's. Everything was between 88-90. In college he could get it up to 94, but as his velocity increases the movement decreases. He really doesn't have a huge margin of error being a soft-tossing righty, especially if he issues an above average number of walks.

WhiteSoxFTW
04-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Yea. I heard the bases were loaded, but I wasn't sure how the base-runners got on.

7 walks is obviously unacceptable, but not a shock with it being his first start and skipping the minors and everything. I was somewhat surprised he didn't touch the lower 90's. Everything was between 88-90. In college he could get it up to 94, but as his velocity increases the movement decreases. He really doesn't have a huge margin of error being a soft-tossing righty, especially if he issues an above average number of walks.
I was watching with my grandmother, a Cub fan, and I was cheering him on to get out of that inning. He gave up a walk to Theriot, Fukudome doubled, then he pitched around Lee to load the bases. He got Ramirez to popout to shallow CF, then he struckout Byrd swinging. The final out was a Soriano flyball to right.

AZChiSoxFan
04-12-2010, 05:49 PM
Congrats to my fellow Sun Devil. Way to go Mike!!

Hopefully Dusty doesn't ruin him.

doublem23
04-23-2010, 12:12 AM
After recording a pair of no decisions in his first 2 professional starts, Leake won his first game tonight, pitching 7 strong innings and leading the Reds past the Dodgers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=30465