PDA

View Full Version : Target Field

kravdog
04-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Watching Twinks / Cards on MLB Network right now. Target Field looks great. So much better than the baggie dome!

Frater Perdurabo
04-02-2010, 09:15 PM
Saw it too. Looks nice. Warm weather helped.

ChiSoxGirl
04-02-2010, 10:43 PM
My friend who works for the Cardinals is up in Minneapolis for the short exhibition series. He e-mailed me this picture and said I'm going to love this place when I go up there in July.

Twins_Morneau
04-02-2010, 11:23 PM
I was at the game tonight, great stadium.

SephClone89
04-02-2010, 11:26 PM
I like. I think that when done well, upper deck in the outfield looks great.

Red Barchetta
04-03-2010, 12:23 AM
I'm excited because I will no longer dread the SOX road trips into Minnesota. I am also excited because I think the Twins are going to lose their artificial home "dome" advantage they have had over the years. I really don't think the Twins were the better team, rather the opposing visiting teams played flat hoping to escape with a win or two.

Blueprint1
04-03-2010, 01:54 AM
I am so happy that the Twins are out of the dome. Target field looks like every other baseball field built in the last 15 years.

Sam Spade
04-03-2010, 02:23 AM
Looks like a place where baseball can be played, as opposed to . . . I don't even know, indoor golf?

Nellie_Fox
04-03-2010, 02:37 AM
I am so happy that the Twins are out of the dome. Target field looks like every other baseball field built in the last 15 years.Really, there's only so much you can do with a baseball field. I'm glad they didn't build in the phony "quirks" that so many others have, like flagpoles in play, or weird angles just for the hell of it.

A major feature of the park is the use of Mankato Kasota stone, a limestone variant native to my area. The Kasota quarry that they got it from is only a couple of miles from my house, and I've purchased a couple of stones from them myself. So, it's a little point of civic pride for Mankato.

oeo
04-03-2010, 02:52 AM
Really, there's only so much you can do with a baseball field. I'm glad they didn't build in the phony "quirks" that so many others have, like flagpoles in play, or weird angles just for the hell of it.

They do have the overhang in RF, though nothing like that monstrosity in Houston. That place has it all, what a terrible design.

Mark Gonzales tweeted that the Twins announcers said the infield appears to be very slow. Good. No more 20 foot choppers and no more fast infield. We wouldn't even have had to go to a one game playoff in 2008 if it wasn't for that cheap ass fast infield.

dickallen15
04-03-2010, 08:26 AM
They also have something most teams are getting away from---organ music.

Stoky44
04-03-2010, 08:45 AM
Saw it on tv anyone else notice that there was like25 seats per row. That would suck with all the people passing by. That's what's great about uscf lower bowl like 8 seats per row

Frater Perdurabo
04-03-2010, 09:27 AM
A Twin Cities TV meteorologist wrote that he expects spring and fall prevailing NW winds to carry fly balls toward RF, while prevailing SE winds in summer will blow in from right.

DSpivack
04-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Really, there's only so much you can do with a baseball field. I'm glad they didn't build in the phony "quirks" that so many others have, like flagpoles in play, or weird angles just for the hell of it.

A major feature of the park is the use of Mankato Kasota stone, a limestone variant native to my area. The Kasota quarry that they got it from is only a couple of miles from my house, and I've purchased a couple of stones from them myself. So, it's a little point of civic pride for Mankato.

I remember seeing that from the initial renderings and thought it was a cool look. Also, the park seems wedged in a city block that makes it's shape the way it is, with the 'small' bleachers and the OF overhang; I like that feel, too, unique but not forced or fake.

russ99
04-03-2010, 12:05 PM
They do have the overhang in RF, though nothing like that monstrosity in Houston. That place has it all, what a terrible design.

Speak for yourself. I love Minute Maid park. Especially the hill and flagpole.

TomBradley72
04-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Looks awesome to me.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/targetfield/?elr=KArksi8cyaiUqCP%3AiUiD3aPc%3A_Yyc%3AaUU&elr=KArksUUUycaEacyU

oeo
04-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Speak for yourself. I love Minute Maid park. Especially the hill and flagpole.

I am speaking for myself, who else would I be speaking for? :scratch:

TomBradley72
04-03-2010, 03:04 PM
I am so happy that the Twins are out of the dome. Target field looks like every other baseball field built in the last 15 years.

What should it look like?

I've been to most of the new ballparks...I think all of them are an improvement on the park they replaced....they all reflect the histories and traditions of their teams, they all have unique designs and features,etc.

Southsider101
04-03-2010, 08:11 PM
I went to a Target Field open house last week. Coolest things about this ballpark:

1. Wooden seats! The Twins have included real wooden seats in the right field pavilion and the club level.

2. Fire pit/party deck. Beneath the large Budweiser sign in left field, there is a natural gas "fire pit" for those cold April and September nights. The Twins also sell standing room tickets in this area for as low as $10.00.

3. Food. This may be some of the best ballpark food in baseball. The Twins have gone local, local, local when it comes to their signature food. It's doesn't come cheap, but the quality was beyond the average ballpark fare. Juicy Lucy's (a local tavern burger with cheese inside the beef patties), the Vincent burger (from a local high-end Nicollet Mall restaurant), Kramarczuck's sausages (a much beloved Northeast Mpls Eastern European deli). They have thee sausages at Target Field now: Polish, Brats, and Hungarian. Not to mention State Fair favorites such as pork-chop on a stick, turkey legs, and walleyes sandwiches. Also, you don't have to hire a private detective to find a local beers like Schell's, Grain Belt, or Summit in the place.

4. Public transit. This may be one of the easiest parks to access by public transit. There are two train stations at the park: the North Star commuter station below the ballpark and the Hiawatha Light Rail station on 5th Street next to Gate 34.

Slappy
04-03-2010, 08:24 PM
This place just looks classy. They really did it right. I'll have to see everything with my own eyes, but yeah, from what I can tell I'm already really jealous of Target Field.

I gotta get a trip out there going this summer.

october23sp
04-03-2010, 09:29 PM
I want to get a good look at that right field overhang. Anyone have any good links that show it?

Nellie_Fox
04-04-2010, 01:24 AM
I want to get a good look at that right field overhang. Anyone have any good links that show it?Here's a picture from before the grass was put in:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0908/mlb.target.field.construction/images/IMG_4954.jpg

C-Dawg
04-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Saw it on tv anyone else notice that there was like25 seats per row. That would suck with all the people passing by. That's what's great about uscf lower bowl like 8 seats per row

That's probably better than at the Dome. Both times I've been there, we were smack in the middle of the row with what seemed like 20 on each side of us to reach the aisle. I can sit for nine innings without making a pit stop but lots of people can't. There was one family in front of us and the kids were up and down about fifteen times during the game! I felt bad for everyone else in their row.

Dibbs
04-04-2010, 05:12 PM
Although it is immeasurably better than that dump they played in, it looks rather boring and just another of the new "cookie cutter" designs.

Hitmen77
04-04-2010, 05:21 PM
My friend who works for the Cardinals is up in Minneapolis for the short exhibition series. He e-mailed me this picture and said I'm going to love this place when I go up there in July.

Some of those outfield seats look very far from the action. Probably no worse than many other new parks, though.

That being said, the place looks great. I'm glad to see another multipurpose/fake grass monstrosity bite the dust as far as MLB is concerned.

Red Barchetta
04-04-2010, 06:07 PM
It's hard to believe we have the second oldest ballpark in our division now and that ballpark (K.C.) underwent major renovations just like US Cellular.

Since New Comiskey opened, there have been 20 new MLB ballparks built with another one currently under construction (Miami). Wow!

TomBradley72
04-04-2010, 08:34 PM
Although it is immeasurably better than that dump they played in, it looks rather boring and just another of the new "cookie cutter" designs.

What ballpark does it resemble as far as "cookie cutter" goes?

TwinKess
04-05-2010, 10:19 AM

What are you talking about? :scratch: