PDA

View Full Version : The Other BA thread...

voodoochile
04-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Hey, don't want to get banned for saying BA sucks and letting your feelings out?

Post 'em here...

BA supporters keep out or you'll get rips. You can keep the happy go lucky pie in the sky crap in that other thread...

So, BA is going to try pitching...

:rolling:

At least he's got the batting average for it...

jabrch
04-02-2010, 04:38 PM
LMAO...

You just don't understand how good he is VC. Like the Sox, the Sawx, and the Royals, you just don't get it. I'll stay out - I'm going back to hand grinding his HOF bust. You just aren't a realist Voo.

Nellie_Fox
04-02-2010, 04:38 PM
It must now be noted that THREE major-league teams have found him wanting in some way. It can no longer be argued that it was some personal bias that Ozzie had against him.

PaleHoser
04-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Given KW's penchant for acquiring rag arm pitchers from the Royals, he'll be back...

kittle42
04-02-2010, 04:47 PM
He needs at least 1,000 major league innings pitched to be adequately evaluated.

I also hear he has an "elite" slidestep.

thedudeabides
04-02-2010, 04:48 PM
I've never had anything against Brian so I hope he can make it as a pitcher, although it is pretty unlikely.

That being said, if you're too crappy of an outfielder to make the Royals as a 5th outfielder when you are 28, it's time for a career change. You have to give him props for recognizing that.

At least he got a guaranteed $700,000 from KC this year. Wise investment giving him a guaranteed major league contract.

russ99
04-02-2010, 04:56 PM
The only thing I have to add that hasn't been said is to point out the ridiculousness going around in some parts that Anderson wasn't given a chance.

883 plate appearances over 3.5 big league seasons say otherwise. Not many other failed prospects get such chances...

jabrch
04-02-2010, 04:59 PM
The only thing I have to add that hasn't been said is to point out the ridiculousness going around in some parts that Anderson wasn't given a chance.

883 plate appearances over 3.5 big league seasons say otherwise. Not many other failed prospects get such chances...

But he never got those ABs uninterupted - because Ozzie didn't like him - because he wasn't nice to Oney...or some stupid crap like that.

DumpJerry
04-02-2010, 05:10 PM
But he never got those ABs uninterupted - because Ozzie didn't like him - because he wasn't nice to Oney...or some stupid crap like that.
Dead on. It had nothing to do with the fact he could not hit with any consistency. That would have been asking too much of him.

Boondock Saint
04-02-2010, 05:11 PM
I guess, since he can't hit a breaking ball, he'd give throwing one a shot.

JB98
04-02-2010, 05:35 PM
I guess all of us "local experts" who said BA wouldn't see the light of day after leaving the Sox were proven correct.

He actually got more regular ABs playing for Ozzie than he did with these other teams. LOL. :cool:

My guess: BA will be out of pro ball within two years.

TheOldRoman
04-02-2010, 05:43 PM
But he never got those ABs uninterupted - because Ozzie didn't like him - because he wasn't nice to Oney...or some stupid crap like that.Oh yeah, and Ozzie was all racisty and stuff.

asindc
04-02-2010, 05:49 PM
I had purposely stayed out of the other BA thread to preserve my tranquility, so I didn't know that BA is considering taking up pitching. Well, it is a good thing for Cooper he is no longer with the Sox, otherwise he might be accused of racism/stupidity/hatred or some such other character flaw for not being able to fix him.:cool:

JB98
04-02-2010, 05:54 PM
Oh yeah, and Ozzie was all racisty and stuff.

Yeah, Ozzie hates white people. Obviously, no white players have been given playing time, or established themselves as big-league players during Ozzie's tenure with the Sox. As a white guy, I am personally offended.

BadBobbyJenks
04-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Lol, quietly backs out of thread.

munchman33
04-02-2010, 05:57 PM
I realize this is in jest to the other thread, but I just wanted to relay my displeasure over the splitting of issues into separate threads. It isn't really a discussion if there aren't differing opinions. Just my two cents.

delben91
04-02-2010, 06:33 PM
And to think KW got Mark Kotsay, a productive/serviceable if not spectacular player for BA. I'm not one of the folks that think KW can do no wrong, but that's got to be one echelon below the "LTP for Matt Thornton" level.

spawn
04-02-2010, 07:01 PM
So he's the anti-Ankiel. He can't his, so he wants to pitch. That says a lot about what he thinks his abilities offensively are.

voodoochile
04-02-2010, 07:35 PM
I realize this is in jest to the other thread, but I just wanted to relay my displeasure over the splitting of issues into separate threads. It isn't really a discussion if there aren't differing opinions. Just my two cents.

They can't handle the truth in that other thread...

doublem23
04-02-2010, 07:38 PM

Have you see what happens when we have a "discussion" about BA?

kittle42
04-02-2010, 07:38 PM
So he's the anti-Ankiel. He can't his, so he wants to pitch. That says a lot about what he thinks his abilities offensively are.

No. He knows he can hit .275 with 20 homers and 90 RBI if he plays every day. Hell, Kenny Williams told us all so!

He has just come to realize that everyone has it in for him, and is now trying to one-up them! Damn Trey Hillman.

There have been a lot - A LOT - of bad and/or disappointing players for the Sox since I started being a fan in 1984. As far as draft picks and young players that never panned out, I never really disliked any of them. No reason to. That is, until the blind defense of Anderson began here among a small group.

It's kind of like how I feel about the Cubs - it's not the players in uniform per se that I despise, just the mindset of the fans.

voodoochile
04-02-2010, 07:41 PM
No. He knows he can hit .275 with 20 homers and 90 RBI if he plays every day. Hell, Kenny Williams told us all so!

He has just come to realize that everyone has it in for him, and is now trying to one-up them! Damn Trey Hillman.

There have been a lot - A LOT - of bad and/or disappointing players for the Sox since I started being a fan in 1984. As far as draft picks and young players that never panned out, I never really disliked any of them. No reason to. That is, until the blind defense of Anderson began here among a small group.

It's kind of like how I feel about the Cubs - it's not the players in uniform per se that I despise, just the mindset of the fans.

Highlighted for truth...

spawn
04-02-2010, 07:46 PM

Word. I acutally don't dislike BA even now. I just can;t fathom anyone saying he was never given a chance to succeed here is as not seeing things objectively. It's just funny that this will be the 3rd team that didn't buy into the BA hype...and the other two found out in less time than it took the White Sox.

mzh
04-02-2010, 07:56 PM
they say you need 1K ML AB's to judge a player... in 800 AB's BA hit .227/.290, 22 HR, 80 RBI, and a .660 OPS. his career stats averaged over 162 games, he hits .227/10/37 a year. I don't think 200 extra at bats will make him less mediocre.

*deep breath*
Dear Brian,
We all had high hopes for you, especially what with our perennial lack of center fielders after Rowand left. in 2006 we got the first glimpse of what might have been. You were not great, but showed a bit of power and you were still young. However, 1 year in AAA and 2 more bad ML seasons made up my mind. We weren't going to sit forever giving you "your chance" to prove yourself. You had that 3 different times, and each progressive time you sucked even worse. You were always a likeable player, but I don't get why people continued to defend you despite your continued suckage. Your great defense didn't make up for all the strikeouts, GIDPs, and just generally making an out 8.8 out of 10 times. by mid 2009, I was totally sick of waiting for you to come around, and while I wish you all the best as a pitcher, I've gotta admit you were pretty terrible (at least on every aspect not defense), and thanks for bringing Mark Kotsay to town.

/rant.

munchman33
04-02-2010, 08:02 PM
They can't handle the truth in that other thread...

Have you see what happens when we have a "discussion" about BA?

I find that sort of debate ever so amusing. :D:

asindc
04-02-2010, 08:04 PM
they say you need 1K ML AB's to judge a player... in 800 AB's BA hit .227/.290, 22 HR, 80 RBI, and a .660 OPS. his career stats averaged over 162 games, he hits .227/10/37 a year. I don't think 200 extra at bats will make him less mediocre.

*deep breath*
Dear Brian,
We all had high hopes for you, especially what with our perennial lack of center fielders after Rowand left. in 2006 we got the first glimpse of what might have been. You were not great, but showed a bit of power and you were still young. However, 1 year in AAA and 2 more bad ML seasons made up my mind. We weren't going to sit forever giving you "your chance" to prove yourself. You had that 3 different times, and each progressive time you sucked even worse. You were always a likeable player, but I don't get why people continued to defend you despite your continued suckage. Your great defense didn't make up for all the strikeouts, GIDPs, and just generally making an out 8.8 out of 10 times. by mid 2009, I was totally sick of waiting for you to come around, and while I wish you all the best as a pitcher, I've gotta admit you were pretty terrible (at least on every aspect not defense), and thanks for bringing Mark Kotsay to town.

/rant.

:gulp:

I also like BA, but he was the reason the Rowand/Thome backfired and set our CF position back another three years. I do wish him well as a pitcher.

TomBradley72
04-02-2010, 09:43 PM

No...don't you remember, it was because he didn't get the start the 2nd game of 2006...destroyed him and his career.

TomBradley72
04-02-2010, 09:54 PM
His AAA stats for 2007,2009:

.244-14-43 in 323 Abs.

gobears1987
04-02-2010, 09:59 PM

DING! That's exactly how I feel. I don't hate the Cubs or BA, but I hate the mindset of those who are so blind with delusions of grandeur in regards to that team/player.

Yes Rowand had a fanatical following that was well past any level of reason, but at least he contributed to the 2005 World Series championship. BA did nothing except have a career average 12 points higher than Mario Mendoza's.

That being said, I wish BA well. I don't dislike him as a person. He's probably a great guy, but he sucked as a ballplayer (offensive at least, guess I can't judge him as a pitcher yet).

WSox597
04-03-2010, 09:03 AM
There's nothing wrong with Brian Anderson that a newly created position of "designated fielder" couldn't fix.

Keep that pesky ol' bat out of his hands, and he'll be in the HOF, just watch.

LOL

This should be an interesting experiment, with him switching to pitching. It may work if he stays in the AL.

SI1020
04-03-2010, 09:36 AM
I don't know if anyone else will, but I found this article interesting.

http://www.royalsreview.com/2010/4/3/1403253/what-is-brian-anderson-doing

WhiteSoxFTW
04-03-2010, 12:32 PM

Very good read. I enjoyed the last paragraph that he wrote.

It makes so much more sense for him to go to AAA and work his ass off and be ready for the probable injury and a mid-season (or even May) callup. Seriously, who is Brian's agent? He can't approve of this decision.

doublem23
04-03-2010, 12:36 PM
It makes so much more sense for him to go to AAA and work his ass off and be ready for the probable injury and a mid-season (or even May) callup. Seriously, who is Brian's agent? He can't approve of this decision.

Agents work for their players, not the other way around.

WhiteSoxFTW
04-03-2010, 12:39 PM
Agents work for their players, not the other way around.
I'm aware of that, but baseball agents look out for the best interests of the players and themselves along with that. The Royals signed Brian for a $750k Major League contact. I guess I am just curious on what his agent would have said to him.

TommyJohn
04-03-2010, 01:29 PM
I was willing to give BA a chance in 2006, as I grew tired of the cult of Aaron Rowand and their mantra "Rowand would've had that." I was rooting for him to make it for that reason alone. It became obvious that he was not going to hack it though, but I didn't give up on him until 2007.

The only thing to say now is that Rowand was much better. If he was still on the team, we'd be talking six-peat.

Brian26
04-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Last April and May, Harrelson was telling the viewers that BA was the closest guy we had to a five-tool player. :rolling:

Hopefully the Royals don't sign Mackowiak to pitch middle relief.

It's Dankerific
04-03-2010, 02:39 PM

This could have easily been posted in either thread. thanks for the link.

Hendu
04-03-2010, 03:23 PM

Great points in that article...this move makes absolutely no sense, and BA has too sweet of a contract to be in desperation mode already. I can't believe the Royals are going along with this.

oeo
04-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Great points in that article...this move makes absolutely no sense, and BA has too sweet of a contract to be in desperation mode already. I can't believe the Royals are going along with this.

They're the Royals, of course you can believe it.

kittle42
04-03-2010, 03:56 PM

Why wouldn't the Royals go along with it? There are a bunch of guys out there the equivalent of Anderson that could be had should something go wrong.

Hendu
04-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Why wouldn't the Royals go along with it? There are a bunch of guys out there the equivalent of Anderson that could be had should something go wrong.

Because they're paying him 750k to be an extra outfielder in case someone gets hurt. The Royals shouldn't have to go out and get the equivalent of Brian Anderson when they already have THE Brian Anderson. :tongue:

Nellie_Fox
04-04-2010, 01:20 AM

Because they're paying him 750k to be an extra outfielder in case someone gets hurt. The Royals shouldn't have to go out and get the equivalent of Brian Anderson when they already have THE Brian Anderson. :tongue:Absolutely. I'd tell Anderson "you're our insurance policy. We're not going to pay you that kind of money, at your age, to go to A ball to try to become a pitcher." I'm amazed the Royals are approving this.

slavko
04-07-2010, 10:33 PM
Last April and May, Harrelson was telling the viewers that BA was the closest guy we had to a five-tool player. :rolling:

Hopefully the Royals don't sign Mackowiak to pitch middle relief.

All the broadcast guys, esp Hawk, loved him and wanted him to succeed. That article was scary good. Wish I had $700,000.