PDA

View Full Version : Nancy's Final Season?

Lip Man 1
04-02-2010, 04:19 PM
According to this story, it is...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=paulas/100402_nancy_faust_chicago_white_sox_organist&sportCat=mlb

Lip

Rocky Soprano
04-02-2010, 04:25 PM
:whiner:

I will miss Nancy. Very Sad Day!
I hate the canned crap they play.

dickallen15
04-02-2010, 04:28 PM
They announced at the end of last season Nancy would be retiring after the 2010 season

Lip Man 1
04-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Sorry I missed it Dick. It's news to me. Maybe they didn't publicize it a lot for obvious reasons.

Lip

dickallen15
04-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Sorry I missed it Dick. It's news to me. Maybe they didn't publicize it a lot for obvious reasons.

Lip

I agree. Its a lot bigger deal IMO than how its being handled but they are having a day in her honor sometime this year. I think in September.

russ99
04-02-2010, 04:51 PM
Not that home day games this year too... Bummer.

I hope they keep some Nancy pieces on file, as the Sox without "Na Na Hey Hey" is unfathomable. Hopefully we hear her play that a lot this year. :D:

DumpJerry
04-02-2010, 04:54 PM
This is very old news. September 18th is her day. Bobbleheads.

WhiteSoxFTW
04-02-2010, 05:27 PM

Lip
Wow, for a quick second I thought you were calling the previous poster a name...then I realized who said it. :tongue:

Medford Bobby
04-02-2010, 06:13 PM
I did remember this story from last year and my thoughts were that Nancy and Roger Bossard are the only true links left from Comiskey Park, as much as the structure itself.:whiner:

Brian26
04-02-2010, 09:44 PM

Lip

This is very old news. September 18th is her day. Bobbleheads.

I agree. Definitely old news... but, also very telling that it hasn't been publicized enough for even Lip to hear about it.

Frontman
04-02-2010, 09:54 PM
I agree. Its a lot bigger deal IMO than how its being handled but they are having a day in her honor sometime this year. I think in September.

Could really be how Nancy wants it. She's important to all of us Sox fans; and I'm sure she knows that, but maybe she doesn't wanted it mentioned to her at every turn throughout the season.

I sure hope we get a THUNDEROUS "Thank you Nancy" chant for that last game in September.

soxinem1
04-02-2010, 10:22 PM
I attended a concert at the Rialto Theater in Joliet recently, and they had an organist playing a multi-row organ for about 15 minutes.

I thought he would be the perfect Nancy replacement (though NOONE will EVER replace Nancy!!).

Problem is, we will just get canned, DJ style crap all the time once she is gone.

The organ in MLB stadiums is going the way of the LP, tube-TV, cassette, 8-Track, Polaroid, and original Walkman: gone for good.

The latter items were replaced by technological advancements. Organ music leaving MLB is the elimination of a great tradition.:angry::angry:

Sox
04-02-2010, 10:36 PM
baseball without an organist of Nancy's caliber.....i am so bummed....:(:

FoulTerritory
04-03-2010, 08:14 AM
I attended a concert at the Rialto Theater in Joliet recently, and they had an organist playing a multi-row organ for about 15 minutes.

I thought he would be the perfect Nancy replacement (though NOONE will EVER replace Nancy!!).

Problem is, we will just get canned, DJ style crap all the time once she is gone.

The organ in MLB stadiums is going the way of the LP, tube-TV, cassette, 8-Track, Polaroid, and original Walkman: gone for good.

The latter items were replaced by technological advancements. Organ music leaving MLB is the elimination of a great tradition.:angry::angry:

Yep.

The handling of Nancy's retirement might represent the one huge failure of Brooks Boyer's tenure. He's done a lot of nice things, but I would say if there is one obvious facet of White Sox history that needs to be continued, it is the presence of live organ music at the ballpark . . . . every night.

I think that Sox fans shouldn't let this slide. There should be outrage if there is no replacement for Nancy in 2011.

And don't give me this "today's youth don't like organs" crap. I never sat around and listened to organ music when I was a kid either, but I sure did love hearing it at the ballgame. It is a major part of the experience, or feel, of being at a pro baseball game.

Come on Brooks . . . there are 10 million people in the Chicago area . . . now go out and find someone who can play the organ with skill and creativity.

Frontman
04-03-2010, 08:17 AM
Personally, I'm ok if 2010 is the last year of organ music for the Sox. Nobody can replace Nancy; so why try it?

FoulTerritory
04-03-2010, 08:34 AM
Personally, I'm ok if 2010 is the last year of organ music for the Sox. Nobody can replace Nancy; so why try it?

I just don't get this logic.

Nothing can replace the first championship experience we Sox fans had in 2005, so why try for another one?

Nobody can replace Jordan, so why bother continuing on as a bulls fan.

And of course, nothing will ever replace the Beatles, so I'm done with rock and roll. But wait, . . . great bands, from Zeppelin to Pink Floyd to Radiohead have managed to build on the Beatles greatness and make something new and great in their own right . . . .

Frankly, its Brooks Boyer's job to find the right person. Someone who will not try to be Nancy, but can build on her traditions and also contribute some of his/her own.

And finally, I can't imagine any atmosphere that is worse than the current one at nightgames in terms of sound. Dated pop music and sound effects that pander to what Brooks considers to be the casual fan I'm sure. I'd rather there be no sound than any of that, and I doubt I'm alone here.

Furthermore, last year I brought a couple "casual fans" to their first Sox game, friends of mine in their late 20s, and they were actually making fun of the sounds and musical choices and negatively comparing it to their experience at a Cubs game earlier in the year. What could I say?

SephClone89
04-03-2010, 10:01 AM
Completely agree with both of the previous posters.

NOBODY likes canned music, or that damned "make some noise" graphic. I'd like to see a citywide poll (or, hell, nationwide) as to what people would prefer to hear at a ballgame.

white sox bill
04-03-2010, 10:37 AM
One of my first trips to Comiskey was in 1970 and I remember walking past the area where Nancy played and there she was in short shorts, all of about maybe 21, and good looking. I was 10 yrs old then.....my Dad saw me staring at her and said "Down Boy"!! I just smiled....

october23sp
04-03-2010, 11:21 AM
I was at the first Day Home Sox game after Michael Jackson's death and she played several of his songs on organ before the game. The sound of the organ is great. The Sox better find someone to take over the reigns.

WhiteSoxFTW
04-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Granted Nancy is a HUGE part of White Sox tradition, but saying noone can replace her is a little farfetched. I'm sure there are many good organ players in the Chicagoland area. I have a couple in my small town. I've only heard them play in church, but those same skills can transfer to US Cellular Field with a little practice.

soxfan43
04-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Yep.

The handling of Nancy's retirement might represent the one huge failure of Brooks Boyer's tenure. He's done a lot of nice things, but I would say if there is one obvious facet of White Sox history that needs to be continued, it is the presence of live organ music at the ballpark . . . . every night.

I think that Sox fans shouldn't let this slide. There should be outrage if there is no replacement for Nancy in 2011.

And don't give me this "today's youth don't like organs" crap. I never sat around and listened to organ music when I was a kid either, but I sure did love hearing it at the ballgame. It is a major part of the experience, or feel, of being at a pro baseball game.

Come on Brooks . . . there are 10 million people in the Chicago area . . . now go out and find someone who can play the organ with skill and creativity.

I'd agree with all that. I'm younger guy, in my 20s, and I love the organ music. I can hear those crappy songs they play at stadiums on the radio if I want. I definitely hope the Sox realize their mistake here and fix it.

Frontman
04-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Granted Nancy is a HUGE part of White Sox tradition, but saying noone can replace her is a little farfetched. I'm sure there are many good organ players in the Chicagoland area. I have a couple in my small town. I've only heard them play in church, but those same skills can transfer to US Cellular Field with a little practice.

My point is that whomever the Sox would get would be always compared to Nancy. As many of us have proven; the guy could surpass Elton John and Billy Joel's talent on a keyboard and still someone would say he (or she) wasn't Nancy.

And really; the past few years there has been less and less of Nancy heard during a game.

To say Brooks Boyer screwed this up isn't fair; as Nancy is retiring. I can see trying to get someone; and I can see just letting it go. If come 2011 there isn't anyone playing the organ at US Cellular?

I'm not going to be upset.

Although, I did suggest a few years back for the Sox to use recordings of Nancy playing "Hey Hey Hey, Goodbye" for home runs and pitching changes for night games. Just because Nancy isn't at the organ doesn't mean that tradition has to die.

ktssox
04-03-2010, 12:41 PM
So what do we organ lovers do? Do you think we can come up with a way to convince Brooks that he is making a bad decision here by letting the organ die?

ilsox7
04-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Completely agree with both of the previous posters.

NOBODY likes canned music, or that damned "make some noise" graphic. I'd like to see a citywide poll (or, hell, nationwide) as to what people would prefer to hear at a ballgame.

Do you really think the Sox make these decisions blind without surveying and talking to their fans?

WhiteSoxFTW
04-03-2010, 12:50 PM
So what do we organ lovers do? Do you think we can come up with a way to convince Brooks that he is making a bad decision here by letting the organ die?
Do we know for sure he is? It's possible the White Sox might make a decision to keep the organ part of a portion of their games.

manders_01
04-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Mods, if this isn't appropriate, please delete.

Having seen how the power of the internet, and specifically Facebook has been working lately, I decided to start an FB group (Save the organ music at US Cellular Field!) so that those of us that want to hear organ music at The Cell after Nancy's tenure has come to close can come together and eventually share with the Sox that there are *hopefully* thousands of Sox fans that feel the same way. So if you are an FB member, please consider joining and inviting your friends so that we can share with the Sox and Brooks our thoughts.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&gid=109656012390757

Thanks!

EDIT: This is really embarrassing to admit on WSI but those that already joined the group know - I spelled the name of the group wrong!!! :redface: So if you have already joined, please switch over. If you haven't, please use the link above, not one in any quoted posts. Sorry!

Frontman
04-03-2010, 12:54 PM

I would say write a polite letter to him; explaining the importance of the tradition to YOU yourself. I would not, however, be insulting, like, I don't know...

"The handling of Nancy's retirement might represent the one huge failure of Brooks Boyer's tenure."

That might be considered a bit insulting.

Nor would I say "All/Majority of Sox fans agree with me." As soon as someone see that sort of broad statement; they tend to dismiss it.

I got very nice feedback the few times I've contacted him; and if you're polite, he'll probably be polite back.

But at the same time; keep in mind that if they don't replace Nancy; its not that they "disrespected" your opinion; or that your opinion didn't matter, or that they didn't even try, or any sort of nonsense that tends to come out of WSI whenever the Sox do something a group of us don't agree with. (IE "Brian Anderson never was given a chance by Ozzie" level of commentary.) Sometimes the organization could TRY and do what we want; but things then might not come together.

I do like Mander idea of a polite group petition. I'll join that to show my support; but I sure hope we don't see the "Brooks is an idiot if he doesn't give us what we want" sort of nonsense.

TheOldRoman
04-03-2010, 01:04 PM
Do you really think the Sox make these decisions blind without surveying and talking to their fans?I believe they do surveys, and the surveys come back substantially favoring keeping organ music. However, the Sox aren't concerned about actual fans. Fans are going to go to games no matter what. Brooks has been trying since he got here to turn this into the Bulls experience from the late 90's. He believes that through loud music and flashiness they can get casual fans to want to come back. He knew he would face a huge backlash if he fired her, so he diminished her role and jumped at it when she offered to work a lesser schedule. This has been Brooks' plan, and he was going to go through with it no matter what. Many of us might be pissed, but we will still go to the games if it means being subjected to Maroon 5 and T.I.

This is just like the NCAA expanding the tournament. Nobody thinks it is a good idea, nobody wants it, but we will all watch anyway.

Rdy2PlayBall
04-03-2010, 01:09 PM
I'm sorry, but I seriously don't understand why this is important... could someone explain the history? :?:

ilsox7
04-03-2010, 01:11 PM
I believe they do surveys, and the surveys come back substantially favoring keeping organ music. However, the Sox aren't concerned about actual fans. Fans are going to go to games no matter what. Brooks has been trying since he got here to turn this into the Bulls experience from the late 90's. He believes that through loud music and flashiness they can get casual fans to want to come back. He knew he would face a huge backlash if he fired her, so he diminished her role and jumped at it when she offered to work a lesser schedule. This has been Brooks' plan, and he was going to go through with it no matter what. Many of us might be pissed, but we will still go to the games if it means being subjected to Maroon 5 and T.I.

This is just like the NCAA expanding the tournament. Nobody thinks it is a good idea, nobody wants it, but we will all watch anyway.

You have the right to believe that, but it is not based in reality. By most accounts, the Sox have been extremely fan/family friendly over the last decade. For them to completely go against the wishes of their fans (as expressed to them) would fly in the face of Brooks' time with the Sox. Could he be doing that? Sure. But is there one bit of evidence he is doing so? Not at all.

For the record, I hate canned music. I think it should be organ only. If people are really serious about trying to sway decisions, they should take some of the suggestions made above. Write respectful letters and communicate your opinion to the front office.

Frontman
04-03-2010, 01:13 PM
I'm sorry, but I seriously don't understand why this is important... could someone explain the history? :?:

For 40 years; Nancy has been a part of the White Sox. When nobody (and I do mean nobody) was going to Sox games; Nancy Faust and *gasp* Harry Carey made the games fun with music and the singing of "Take me out to the ball game."

Nancy started the tradition of "Hey Hey Hey Goodbye" that you now hear ACROSS THE COUNTRY at sporting events.

It's a part of Sox history; and I can see how many want to keep it in place. My point is just to keep it all in perspective and not go insane (or make obnoxious comments.)

Stoky44
04-03-2010, 01:33 PM
I wonder if the Sox could put together a Nancy's Greatest Hits CD:

I know I would want to hear:
1. Runaround Sue (Man I loved this during the pitching changes)
2. Classical Gas
3. Lakeshore Drive

SephClone89
04-03-2010, 01:35 PM

Having seen how the power of the internet, and specifically Facebook has been working lately, I decided to start an FB group (Save the organ music at US Cellular Field!) so that those of us that want to hear organ music at The Cell after Nancy's tenure has come to close can come together and eventually share with the Sox that there are *hopefully* thousands of Sox fans that feel the same way. So if you are an FB member, please consider joining and inviting your friends so that we can share with the Sox and Brooks our thoughts.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=107695369264359&ref=nf

Thanks!

Joined and invited 40 friends.

Johnny Mostil
04-03-2010, 01:39 PM

Thanks!

Just joined!

Stoky44
04-03-2010, 01:41 PM
I did not know Nancy played at the Chicago Stadium. I just assumed the guy the hawks have now, Frank Pellico, has been playing there for as long as Nancy has been with the Sox.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcIbL2coydM

Maybe we could get the Hawks organist to come to the South Side, we let Gene Honda go there, so maybe we could make a trade. Although, Frank Pellico use to play for the Cubs in the early 70's.

BTW, the blackhawks have also been limiting their organ music over the last 3-4years. They use to let Frank play a long set during the second intermission.

MARTINMVP
04-03-2010, 02:02 PM
I don't mind minimal canned music, but there are definitely times at the Cell where it is way overblown. It gets annoying fast. The organ adds to the whole lust of the baseball game.

Things change... we are reading our news on a computer or phone screen instead of a piece of paper, the use of the landline is going away in favor of cell phones...

While things change, there are vital increments that should never change. Just because kids are stupider today than previous generations, and text message lingo and shorthand is becoming more of a norm, should news agencies drop AP style formats and adopt a more casual, dumbed down style of writing? No, that would be ludicrous. Ok, so ball game music and news writing style is apples and oranges, but I think you get my point.

Why diminish the role of the organ at the ball game? As a previous poster wrote, I too did not listen to organ music when I was 12 or 18, but I appreciate it's role at the ballpark.

Sox
04-03-2010, 02:21 PM

Thanks!

Good idea manders!! :thumbsup:Count me in as one who joined the group to keep organ music as part of the White Sox experience and tradition.:clap:

Fenway
04-03-2010, 02:30 PM
He wants the job but the White Sox have told him NOT INTERESTED

He is a Chicago native

http://www.ballparktour.com/Josh_Kantor.html

http://multimedia.heraldinteractive.com/images/2a3af7ea39_18soxo1.jpg

He is VERY good as some on this list have learned

Sox
04-03-2010, 02:34 PM
He wants the job but the White Sox have told him NOT INTERESTED

He is a Chicago native

http://www.ballparktour.com/Josh_Kantor.html

http://multimedia.heraldinteractive.com/images/2a3af7ea39_18soxo1.jpg

He is VERY good as some on this list have learned

That's too bad! One can only wonder at this decision if this is true.:scratch:

esbrechtel
04-03-2010, 02:35 PM
I did not know Nancy played at the Chicago Stadium. I just assumed the guy the hawks have now, Frank Pellico, has been playing there for as long as Nancy has been with the Sox.

Maybe we could get the Hawks organist to come to the South Side, we let Gene Honda go there, so maybe we could make a trade. Although, Frank Pellico use to play for the Cubs in the early 70's.

BTW, the blackhawks have also been limiting their organ music over the last 3-4years. They use to let Frank play a long set during the second intermission.

I talked to Frank Pellico during the Hawks convention last season and he said after he heard that Nancy was leaving he was very sad. He said they were friends. He also told me that he called the sox and they told him they were not interested.

Fenway
04-03-2010, 02:49 PM
That's too bad! One can only wonder at this decision if this is true.:scratch:

I have heard it is JR - be banned the organ at Bulls games years ago but knew Nancy could never be fired

Brooks isn't THAT stupid to do this

ktssox
04-03-2010, 03:05 PM

Thanks!

Thanks! I was thinking something along those lines.

rdwj
04-03-2010, 03:12 PM
I have heard it is JR - be banned the organ at Bulls games years ago but knew Nancy could never be fired

I just don't understand why anyone over the age of 13 would want to listen to that crappy canned music over a organist - it just makes no sense at all.

ilsox7
04-03-2010, 03:23 PM
I just don't understand why anyone over the age of 13 would want to listen to that crappy canned music over a organist - it just makes no sense at all.

I don't understand why people watch wrestling and pay money to see it. I also do not understand why so many people do not like soccer. But people do like wrestling and soccer is not that popular in the US.

There has to be some good reason the Sox opt for the canned music. Until there is evidence that the organization is blatantly ignoring the majority of its fans, I have to believe that they have some sort of proof that canned music is in demand.

Now, if it ever comes to be that they are getting rid of the organ even though most fans still want it, then I will be the first one in line to speak up about such a poor decision.

Frontman
04-03-2010, 03:37 PM
I don't understand why people watch wrestling and pay money to see it. I also do not understand why so many people do not like soccer. But people do like wrestling and soccer is not that popular in the US.

I think the same thing about American Idol.

FoulTerritory
04-03-2010, 03:38 PM

Interesting take, because my blaming it on Brooks was partly based on the assumption that Reinsdorf isn't that stupid.

FoulTerritory
04-03-2010, 04:00 PM

There has to be some good reason the Sox opt for the canned music. Until there is evidence that the organization is blatantly ignoring the majority of its fans, I have to believe that they have some sort of proof that canned music is in demand.

Now, if it ever comes to be that they are getting rid of the organ even though most fans still want it, then I will be the first one in line to speak up about such a poor decision.

1) I have not met a single casual or serious fan of baseball that prefers the cannned aesthetic to the organ at baseball games.

2) Surveys and polls, as any data or statistics worker can tell you, are quirky things. They depend on context, wording, and a lot of other things. I mean, if you ask someone who is at the ballpark for their first or second time if they prefer "rock/pop" or "organ," they might instinctually mark "rock/pop," but if this same person had a chance to compare the two aesthetics over multiple visits, they might have grown to appreciate the "organ" sound at the park. I mean, who are they surveying, who do they consider "casual" fans, how is the survey worded? Considering the general consensus about this issue, from my observations, its hard to believe that the people that prefer canned music outweigh those that like organ if given the chance to experience the contrast between the two.

3) I think that the best marketing rests in the flexibility to change some things and not others, depending on product and audience, and to come up with fresh approaches when beneficial. Brooks' strategies often seem like copy-cat strategies to me. I mean, cheerleaders shooting t-shirts, the canned music, the sound effects, digital races, mascot races, etc. This is all stuff that has been done at the Trop in Tampa for years, as well as basketball arenas across the land. But its not original or interesting at this point. Brooks needs to think critically about when to follow trends and when not to and perhaps when he does make a change, come up with something original that can become our tradition. For example, the bulls used to do this when they were the first to turn the lights off for intros and use the dramatic spot lights and music. Then everyone copy-catted them. So, I would hope that instead of taking away our prized traditions and replacing them with unoriginal ones, he might try to think of some fresh stuff and leave the organ music.

Sox
04-03-2010, 04:06 PM
1) I have not met a single casual or serious fan of baseball that prefers the cannned aesthetic to the organ at baseball games.

2) Surveys and polls, as any data or statistics worker can tell you, are quirky things. They depend on context, wording, and a lot of other things. I mean, if you ask someone who is at the ballpark for their first or second time if they prefer "rock/pop" or "organ," they might instinctually mark "rock/pop," but if this same person had a chance to compare the two aesthetics over multiple visits, they might have grown to appreciate the "organ" sound at the park. I mean, who are they surveying, who do they consider "casual" fans, how is the survey worded? Considering the general consensus about this issue, from my observations, its hard to believe that the people that prefer canned music outweigh those that like organ if given the chance to experience the contrast between the two.

3) I think that the best marketing rests in the flexibility to change some things and not others, depending on product and audience, and to come up with fresh approaches when beneficial. Brooks' strategies often seem like copy-cat strategies to me. I mean, cheerleaders shooting t-shirts, the canned music, the sound effects, digital races, mascot races, etc. This is all stuff that has been done at the Trop in Tampa for years, as well as basketball arenas across the land. But its not original or interesting at this point. Brooks needs to think critically about when to follow trends and when not to and perhaps when he does make a change, come up with something original that can become our tradition. For example, the bulls used to do this when they were the first to turn the lights off for intros and use the dramatic spot lights and music. Then everyone copy-catted them. So, I would hope that instead of taking away our prized traditions and replacing them with unoriginal ones, he might try to think of some fresh stuff and leave the organ music.

Well said FT!!!!:thumbsup:

ilsox7
04-03-2010, 04:22 PM

I am in the same boat with you in that I have not really met anyone who prefers canned music to the organ. But why else would the Sox turn to canned music if no one likes it? The only thing I can come up with is that the surveys showed that those who like organ music will be at games no matter what music is played, whereas those who prefer canned music rate it as part of the experience that gets them out to games.

Canned music fans won't be there no matter what (as there may be a correlation between canned music fans and those going to a game not just for the game), therefore the Sox have made the business decision to cater to them, at what may be considered a small amount of "damage" to the organ fans. Let's face it, there are very few people who will not go to a ballgame or go to less games b/c there is no organ music. I HATE the canned music as much as anyone (and probably more than most), but it does not keep me from going to a baseball game.

My main point is that the Sox chose canned music for a reason. We can all disagree with that reason, but I find it highly unlikely this was a decision based on one person's preferences. If it ever comes to light that it was one person's decision that flew in the face of the facts/surveys, then I guarantee you I will be the first person in line to light that person up. My hunch (with no evidence available) is the scenario I painted above it what is going on. Which sucks.

Frontman
04-03-2010, 04:29 PM

And thus, EVERY baseball fan must prefer organ to canned music, right? Again, that isn't a solid piece of evidence, it means the people you've talked to prefer it. No more, no less. You say statistics can be a quirky thing directly after saying the above statement. It's one or the other. Or maybe, instead of it being a question of canned versus organ; a majority of sports fans don't care about the music being played, rather what's happening on the field.

So, what would be original, in your mind? Granted, the second you suggest it and Brooks goes with it, by definition its a copy cat idea; but humor me. It sounds like you have a ton of ideas for strategies and that they're easy to come up with.

dickallen15
04-03-2010, 04:57 PM
I remember back when the first cut Nancy's workload down and regulated her to about half the game, the excuse then was the PLAYERS preferred the canned music. It had nothing to do with the fans.

TornLabrum
04-04-2010, 11:01 AM

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&gid=109656012390757

Thanks!

EDIT: This is really embarrassing to admit on WSI but those that already joined the group know - I spelled the name of the group wrong!!! :redface: So if you have already joined, please switch over. If you haven't, please use the link above, not one in any quoted posts. Sorry!

Already joined the new group.

tick53
04-04-2010, 11:40 AM
I remember when she first started playing in the old park. It will be the end of an era in more ways than one.

whitem0nkey
04-04-2010, 12:17 PM
if this happens and we don't get a replacement, I'm not going to any home games in 2011. Ill just go to one game at miller park catch the rest on TV, and wait till 2012.

doublem23
04-04-2010, 12:19 PM
if this happens and we don't get a replacement, I'm not going to any home games in 2011. Ill just go to one game at miller park catch the rest on TV, and wait till 2012.

Organ music is really that big of a deal?

FoulTerritory
04-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Organ music is really that big of a deal?

While I'm not boycotting as the previous poster, I will say that my enthusiasm for going to night games has certainly been reduced since there has been no organ there. Ambiance is important, and I find myself annoyed with the pervasive din of sound effects and canned music.

So, yeah, I'm more likely to stay home than I used to be, because I'm not irritated by the ambiance when on my couch.

whitesoxwin
04-04-2010, 12:44 PM
It isn't the same w/o an organ...hate the "canned music" and always will...takes a lot away from the game.
Brooks needs to go!

doublem23
04-04-2010, 12:45 PM
It isn't the same w/o an organ...hate the "canned music" and always will...takes a lot away from the game.
Brooks needs to go!

Yeah, I sure do miss those days when we packed a whole 19,000 in the park every day.

whitesoxwin
04-04-2010, 12:47 PM
Yeah, I sure do miss those days when we packed a whole 19,000 in the park every day.

Always had a great seat!! And NEVER had to wait for a cold beer!

doublem23
04-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Always had a great seat!! And NEVER had to wait for a cold beer!

:violin:

Fenway
04-04-2010, 01:09 PM

Nancy played at the Stadium for several years in the mid 80's. She did upset Dollar Bill when she do some NORTH STARS games during that period. (They flew her up)

I had thought she had a problem with the delay that the Barton had from keypress to sound but she said no.

The Bulls (JR?) saw no sense to use the Barton after a couple of years.

Nancy wasn't happy but it her nature just to accept what the boss wants.

Fenway has a decent mix of music and everybody is happy - why it can't be done at USCF who only knows.

FoulTerritory
04-04-2010, 01:42 PM

I think Brooks has had little to due with the Sox spike in attendance over the past 5 years. The WS title and another division title are the primary reasons for that. Winning is what brings Sox fans out.

Frontman
04-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Brooks needs to go!

Yeah, I got to agree. Loved the blue seats/pads/walls/batters eye. I loved the fact that the park was as sterile as a hospital ward.....

FoulTerritory
04-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Yeah, I got to agree. Loved the blue seats/pads/walls/batters eye. I loved the fact that the park was as sterile as a hospital ward.....

I don't know the extent to which stadium renovations fall under Boyer's jurisdiction . . .

Also, I'm pretty sure that the renovations were well under way before Boyer took over.

Finally, the renovations work because they, in part, have created a more quaint "ballpark" feel, as opposed to the sterile mall feel that preceded. Doesn't the organ represent more of that traditional ballpark feel and the canned music seem more sterile?

Doesn't add up IMHO.

Frontman
04-04-2010, 08:08 PM
I don't know the extent to which stadium renovations fall under Boyer's jurisdiction . . .

Also, I'm pretty sure that the renovations were well under way before Boyer took over.

Finally, the renovations work because they, in part, have created a more quaint "ballpark" feel, as opposed to the sterile mall feel that preceded. Doesn't the organ represent more of that traditional ballpark feel and the canned music seem more sterile?

Doesn't add up IMHO.

You mean, like quoting that statistics can be twisted right after making your own point based on a statistic? To me, that doesn't add up; but please, I'd still love to hear these unique ideas Brooks should be able to use instead of "copycatting" everyone else.

Brooks has been a part of the turnaround of "New Comiskey" to the current ballpark. To me; sounds like if you don't get an organ player; everything else is meaningless.

This whole POSSIBLE (as we haven't arrived in 2011 yet to see) loss of the organ at USCF is becoming the southside version of "historic" scoreboard on the northside.....

FoulTerritory
04-05-2010, 07:12 AM
You mean, like quoting that statistics can be twisted right after making your own point based on a statistic? To me, that doesn't add up; but please, I'd still love to hear these unique ideas Brooks should be able to use instead of "copycatting" everyone else.

Brooks has been a part of the turnaround of "New Comiskey" to the current ballpark. To me; sounds like if you don't get an organ player; everything else is meaningless.

This whole POSSIBLE (as we haven't arrived in 2011 yet to see) loss of the organ at USCF is becoming the southside version of "historic" scoreboard on the northside.....

I'm not sure why I'm responsible for thinking of original marketing strategies. I'm an English instructor, not a marketing director. All I said was that I believe there is a pattern of unoriginal marketing going on at the ballpark, what with the cheerleaders, loud canned, music, etc. Its Brooks' job to come up with something better than that, not mine.

Look, I'm still a big Sox fan. I just think there is a common sentiment that organ music at the park is a good thing, and a long standing tradition (dating back to good organists before Nancy), and it would suck if the organ is scrapped.

Frontman
04-05-2010, 07:25 AM
I'm not sure why I'm responsible for thinking of original marketing strategies. I'm an English instructor, not a marketing director. All I said was that I believe there is a pattern of unoriginal marketing going on at the ballpark, what with the cheerleaders, loud canned, music, etc. Its Brooks' job to come up with something better than that, not mine.

Look, I'm still a big Sox fan. I just think there is a common sentiment that organ music at the park is a good thing, and a long standing tradition (dating back to good organists before Nancy), and it would suck if the organ is scrapped.

Just thinking versus "every single fan I talk to" is a huge difference. And even if there is no organ player come 2011; you still won't have evidence that Brooks DIDN'T try to get a player.

Fenway posted the story of the player the Red Sox use. Says he was told no. Do we know WHY he was told no?

Of course not; how could we, we weren't a part of the negotiations. He might of wanted a salary that the Sox couldn't (or wouldn't) afford to pay. But we don't know that.

WhiteSoxFTW
04-06-2010, 12:35 PM
Les Grobstein had Nancy on his show last night. You can listen to the interview here. It's pretty interesting. She talks about her history in her job and how she got hired.

http://www.670thescore.com/Les-Grobstein/4650075

doublem23
04-10-2010, 07:03 PM
FWIW, there were 3 girls sitting in front of me who were bitching about the organ music all day long. Unfortunately, a lot of the "casual" fans really do prefer the crappy canned garbage.

y2j2785
04-10-2010, 07:07 PM
FWIW, there were 3 girls sitting in front of me who were bitching about the organ music all day long. Unfortunately, a lot of the "casual" fans really do prefer the crappy canned garbage.

You're lucky if these girls even know anything about baseball.

GoGoCrede
04-10-2010, 07:08 PM

This happened to me, too. The douches behind me kept harping on Nancy's music choices and the Twins fan who was with them said he "lost a lot of respect for this organ player" when she played Enrique Iglesias. He said she should be fired. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Words fail to describe my annoyance. I nearly said something to him.

doublem23
04-10-2010, 07:11 PM
You're lucky if these girls even know anything about baseball.

I was just laughing watching the 1 helplessly try and send a text message over her AT&T phone. Network Fail.

y2j2785
04-10-2010, 07:17 PM
I was just laughing watching the 1 helplessly try and send a text message over her AT&T phone. Network Fail.

Sometimes I think I'm the only AT&T user who actually gets reception in the Cell.

MinnySoxFan
04-10-2010, 08:03 PM
I was thinking about going over to the organ room just to wish her luck in retirement. I enjoyed her musical talent. And like those girls could do 1/100th of her organ playing skill.

chisoxfanatic
04-10-2010, 08:35 PM

I LOVE Frank, so it would be awesome for him to stop by the south side during the summer months. He still gets a nice amount of playing time before Hawks games, and he does a fantastic job.

Nancy will be missed, but I at least was able to get my picture taken with her a couple years ago. I'll try to make it to her bobblehead day. I wonder how that will look!

Noneck
04-11-2010, 01:04 AM

Lip

Lip you didn't miss it, maybe it just slipped your mind. I remember being involved in the discussion at the end of last season. I suggested that you interview Nancy to find out if she really wants to leave. You stated that if TornLabrum would give you her contact info, you would try to interview her.

roylestillman
04-11-2010, 06:10 AM
Sometimes I think I'm the only AT&T user who actually gets reception in the Cell.
So you're the one who's on the phone so nobody else in the the stadium can use their's

bridgeportcopper
04-11-2010, 08:57 AM
Here's my take (as I'm sure you have all been waiting for it): I loved Nancy's music through the years during Batting Practice, pregame etc, it was always neat when I'd hear her play a new song that just came on the radio and think to myself "How did she learn that/get the music for that so quickly?" I also loved when each player came to the plate and she would play a snippet of a song based on their last name or uniform number or first name or something trivial. I distinctly remember when Richard Dotson would be announce as starting pitcher she would play that old Dotson jingle "Dotson, we are driven" or Fred Manrique would get "The Flintstones" theme song. BUT, one thing I don't like about Nancy's music is what has become of "Na Na Na Na Hey Hey Hey Goodbye". That song has been turned into a portion of a funeral dirge. It really almost sounds depressing. If you listen to that actual song it is vibrant and fast paced and kinda a fun song, when it is played on the organ at the cell, it has become just those three notes "Duh duh Duh Na Na Na Na Hey Hey Hey Goodbye" and in such a slow manner that you forget where it came from. I also loved Nancy's Runaround Sue at the old park and really miss the whole crowd with that familiar "Oh Oh OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Oh OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OH OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Keep away from Runaround Sue" That used to be a staple and just went away.

CWS44
04-11-2010, 11:53 AM
I also remember Runaround Sue at the old park and how fun it was when the crowd swayed and sang along. The thing that irks me about Na Na Hey Hey Hey is that it is played when the Sox are losing. That said, I'd much rather have Nancy along with some recorded music. I don't appreciate the way too loud hip hop nor the Eveybody Clap Your Hands. And I'm not that old.

AuntieKaren
04-11-2010, 12:42 PM
Good News! The organ will NOT retire with Nancy! Several months ago, the Sox signed a two year contract with Aaron Foster, a very talented and creative organist from Aurora, IL. I'm sure he will not disappoint. Our children and grandchildren deserve hot dogs, peanuts, and the organ at baseball games. No canned music for us!

The tradition lives on!!!!

SephClone89
04-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Good News! The organ will NOT retire with Nancy! Several months ago, the Sox signed a two year contract with Aaron Foster, a very talented and creative organist from Aurora, IL. I'm sure he will not disappoint. Our children and grandchildren deserve hot dogs, peanuts, and the organ at baseball games. No canned music for us!

I would really like to know where you heard this from.

Lip Man 1
04-11-2010, 12:54 PM
Auntie:

No personal offense but can you provide some proof regarding your statement?

Lip

Frontman
04-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Auntie:

No personal offense but can you provide some proof regarding your statement?

Lip

+1 on that. The Sox fanbase could use a bit of solid good news to get them to calm down.

I have a feeling the Ranger is going to have his hands full this season.

AuntieKaren
04-11-2010, 01:31 PM
I've been a fan and very close personal friend of Aaron's for years. I'm "Auntie Karen". He's not there this weekend, for personal reasons, but you can find him at the park playing with Nancy in the upcoming months. This year he is interning with Nancy to prepare for her retirment. He played with her at the opening game. Call the park. Ask Nancy.

Aaron is 20 years old. He has been playing in churches and events for years. He is very talented and has been studying the organ since he was a young child.

I hope that Chicago treats him kindly, as he is young and probably ill advised to be able to handle the amount of attention that may be coming his way. Please be kind! He's a sweetheart!!!

I love you Aaron!

CWS44
04-11-2010, 01:36 PM

I'm trying to research this, all that has come up so far is Aaron Foster's myspace: http://www.myspace.com/music36524

CWS44
04-11-2010, 01:38 PM
I've been a fan and very close personal friend of Aaron's for years. I'm "Auntie Karen". He's not there this weekend, for personal reasons, but you can find him at the park playing with Nancy in the upcoming months. This year he is interning with Nancy to prepare for her retirment. He played with her at the opening game. Call the park. Ask Nancy.

Aaron is 20 years old. He has been playing in churches and events for years. He is very talented and has been studying the organ since he was a young child.

I hope that Chicago treats him kindly, as he is young and probably ill advised to be able to handle the amount of attention that may be coming his way. Please be kind! He's a sweetheart!!!

I love you Aaron!

I think this is good news for the fans! Thanks AuntieKaren. Best of luck to Aaron.

Frontman
04-11-2010, 02:43 PM
I hope that turns out to be true, AuntieKaren. Don't fault us for being cautious.

AuntieKaren
04-11-2010, 03:30 PM
I don't blame you. The park hasn't said anything yet. This is a huge thing for a 20 year old and it's probably best that he has time to get comfortable at the park before the fans and media start to get curious. He plays like a wiz, but probably won't be as skilled at dealing with the attention that may come when Nancy's final days approach.

thomas35forever
04-11-2010, 04:42 PM
I pray this is true, and hopefully he can stick around for as long as Nancy has.

GoGoCrede
04-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Hi AuntieKaren. This is wonderful news to everyone who loves the organ music. Thanks for giving us this info! I'm very excited to see if Aaron sticks around long-term like Nancy has.

SephClone89
04-11-2010, 06:05 PM

I love you Aaron!

Hm.

I know a lot of people have been popping in to say hi or take pictures with Nancy during the day games so far, and I feel like we would've heard someone say that there seemed to be another musician in her booth. Again, I pray this is true, and I don't want to come off as a jerk, but I dunno...

Lip Man 1
04-11-2010, 06:08 PM
Auntie:

I've taken your information and have followed up with some sources of mine. We'll see what comes of it.

Thank you for letting us know.

Lip

Lip Man 1
04-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Heard back from Brooks on the subject, FWIW:

Who ever said we were retiring the organ? This is what happens when people who don't know anything speculate.

Brooks

Lip

Frontman
04-11-2010, 10:40 PM

Who ever said we were retiring the organ? This is what happens when people who don't know anything speculate.

Brooks

Lip

OH! So they AREN'T doing away with the organ!!!!

Good thing we didn't all jump up and down on Brooks' case and say he "has to go."

Oh, wait, we did.

Can we now stop with the "Brooks Boyer hates organ music" nonsense?

manders_01
04-11-2010, 11:16 PM

Brooks

Lip

Okay, chill Brooks. Maybe we have been speculating there would be no organ since the ESPN article said there was no one signed to take over. Not having that blurb in the article would have helped the fans not speculate. :rolleyes:

ilsox7
04-11-2010, 11:21 PM

Brooks

Lip

Well said by Brooks and good to know. What a shock, people outside of the organization know less about the organization than those running it?

BTW, the canned music seemed especially loud today. Could barely hold a conversation between innings.

TheOldRoman
04-11-2010, 11:55 PM
OH! So they AREN'T doing away with the organ!!!!

Good thing we didn't all jump up and down on Brooks' case and say he "has to go."

Oh, wait, we did.

Can we now stop with the "Brooks Boyer hates organ music" nonsense?I wasn't the one who called for Brooks to be fired, but I was saying that the organ wasn't in the organization's plans based on his comments. He has made comments in the past that seemed to foreshadow eliminating the organ. When asked why the Sox didn't get a part time organ player to do weekdays, he insinuated that it was virtually impossible to find a competent organ player. He also said on multiple occasions that the Sox "couldn't possibly replace Nancy". Here is a quote from Brooks:
"The analogy I used is, 'Who follows Coach K at Duke?' If we bring in someone else behind her, the person doesn't have a chance from the get go."
Comments like those lead me to believe they would eventually say "She was such a legend that it wouldn't be right for anybody but her to play the organ at Sox games." Of course, Brooks has taken several elements from Bulls games and moved them over to Sox games (introducing players one by one, dancing crew, etc). His aim is to make the game more hip and exciting to draw casual fans. It is common sense that, even if diehards prefer organ music (which they do to an extent), those people are still going to buy tickets regardless. I don't think Brooks has a personal vendetta against organ music, but if he believes casual fans prefer canned music, that is what we will get.

The key thing I am taking from this thread is Fenway saying Reinsdorf is the one who wants the organ gone, and citing how he removed the organ from Bulls games. That would make sense based off what has taken place the last few years. Nancy's playing was already scaled back considerably before she went part time. Ultimately, we will see what happens. Maybe the Sox are trying to bring in a part time organ player to either do weekends or play select "throwback" games next year. Nothing they said or done over the past five years has lead me to believe there will be organ music at the park after Nancy, but we will see.

MinnySoxFan
04-12-2010, 01:32 AM
Speaking of Nancy. Is it ok to knock on the door and pop in to say hi to Nancy. I was thinking of doing so, but didn't want to get shooed away by security. I did fell like getting a pic with her, but I'll have another shot in July.

BainesHOF
04-12-2010, 01:43 AM
BTW, the canned music seemed especially loud today. Could barely hold a conversation between innings.

Not only is the music too loud, but it's extremely generic and unimaginative.

TheOldRoman
04-12-2010, 09:51 AM
Speaking of Nancy. Is it ok to knock on the door and pop in to say hi to Nancy. I was thinking of doing so, but didn't want to get shooed away by security. I did fell like getting a pic with her, but I'll have another shot in July.Nancy is the sweetest lady. She loves meeting people. Not only will she take a picture with you, she will take the time to have a conversation.

BRDSR
04-12-2010, 10:40 AM
I like the organ over the canned music, but I can't believe that this thread needs:

:tomatoaward

The organ music is VERY incidental to my experience at Sox Park, or any park for that matter.

Based on this thread, if I were the White Sox marketing department, I would pick out 8-10 weekday games and identify them as "Organ Days." Casual fans who are subconsciously or consciously put off by the organ music probably don't attend those games anyway, and those who are diehard organ fans (who are almost certainly also diehard White Sox fans) might decide to attend a couple extra games just for the organ music.

When it comes to the music played at the ballpark, I'd prefer the Sox to do whatever brings in the most cash, so that they can turn that cash around and spend it on quality players and scouting, so that the on field product is a quality one.

WhiteSoxFTW
04-12-2010, 10:54 AM
When it comes to the music played at the ballpark, I'd prefer the Sox to do whatever brings in the most cash, so that they can turn that cash around and spend it on quality players and scouting, so that the on field product is a quality one.
I completely agree with you. If the things that Brooks does, including playing popular music brings in more casual fans and their $$s into the Cell, then it's a good thing. But, at the same time, I enjoy the organ. I think that there should be a balance between the "canned" music and the organ. I think the organ should be played at day games. It seems more fitting for sunny afternoon games. Don't you think?

I also didn't believe that the White Sox were going to do away with the organ after Nancy left. It's good to hear that they aren't completely.

FoulTerritory
04-12-2010, 11:15 AM
I like the organ over the canned music, but I can't believe that this thread needs:

:tomatoaward

The organ music is VERY incidental to my experience at Sox Park, or any park for that matter.

Based on this thread, if I were the White Sox marketing department, I would pick out 8-10 weekday games and identify them as "Organ Days." Casual fans who are subconsciously or consciously put off by the organ music probably don't attend those games anyway, and those who are diehard organ fans (who are almost certainly also diehard White Sox fans) might decide to attend a couple extra games just for the organ music.

I am willing to admit that the organ music at the park is more than merely incidental for me, but I don't think I realized that until I started attending games and it was missing.

The thing is, for many core fans, the park is like a home of sorts for us. We spend a lot of summer nights and days there. Having an organ at the park contributes to an ambiance that many find familiarly enjoyable, like sitting in your favorite chair in your living room. It is one of many experiences at Sox games that, through my formative years, solidified my joy in being a sox fan. Also included are the hot dogs with grilled onions, the pinwheels, the tailgating camaraderie, etc.

Players come and go. Some years' teams are good, some aren't. So I think that being a core fan is more than just about the team, because its also about being a part of a certain community with unique traditions. There are certain things I want at this "home," and I feel its okay to voice opinions about this stuff. Will I stray from being a fan? No. But that doesn't mean that the Sox shouldn't still consider the experience of their non-casual fans because those are the fans out there that spread good feeling about the Sox, and help to bring in new Sox fans in their own right.

As far as Brooks and Frontman's feeling that I, among others, jump to conclusion from speculation . . . I disagree. Brooks, as another poster noted and quoted, has been very obtuse when asked about the organ, having made several claims about the futility of trying to replace Nancy.

If the rumors are true, and the young Aaron Foster is a replacement, I think think that is great, and is indeed a sign that Brooks is listening to still important core fans, and not merely reacting to the more short-sighted goal of appealing to casual fans.

And I'm okay with a mix of organ and canned, to be clear. Something for everyone is good compromise.

C-Dawg
04-12-2010, 12:16 PM

Interesting; I was just thinking (while at the game) that it wasn't as loud as it is normally. However its probably just a function of where I was sitting since its not my normal section. I was probably farther from the speakers than normally.

starboy0
04-12-2010, 12:33 PM
A couple years or so ago I told one of my students, Aaron Foster, that Nancy was retiring at the cell and that he should try for the job. Ran into him a week or so ago and he said he's got the job. He explained he is shadowing Nancy this year. This kid is a great organist and has won numerous awards. So his technique is definitely there. He just needs to learn what music will go good with certain situations and players.

Noneck
04-12-2010, 12:43 PM
It sure would be nice if Sox management would be upfront on this issue. Finding out who is taking over for Nancy on a message board doesn't seem like the proper way to handle this.

And Boyer wonders why people are always speculating.

GoGoCrede
04-12-2010, 12:47 PM
Okay, chill Brooks. Maybe we have been speculating there would be no organ since the ESPN article said there was no one signed to take over. Not having that blurb in the article would have helped the fans not speculate. :rolleyes:

It sure would be nice if Sox management would be upfront on this issue. Finding out who is taking over for Nancy on a message board doesn't seem like the proper way to handle this.

Agreed. No need for Brooks to sound exasperated. Nancy is an institution; it's not a huge leap for people to assume that organ music is on its way out at the Cell, if no one from Sox management has said anything. I, for one, wish Aaron the very best of luck and I look forward to hearing him.

WhiteSoxFTW
04-12-2010, 12:48 PM

I wouldn't find it hard to believe that they would be holding off on this information until later in the year. We are only 6 home games into 81. Maybe they will make the announcement the week of her appreciation day. That wouldn't be too far-fetched. It seems like a better marketing plan than randomly announcing it.

Noneck
04-12-2010, 12:56 PM
I wouldn't find it hard to believe that they would be holding off on this information until later in the year. We are only 6 home games into 81. Maybe they will make the announcement the week of her appreciation day. That wouldn't be too far-fetched. It seems like a better marketing plan than randomly announcing it.

If this young man has the job, just announce that he is the heir apparent. No need to wait and have people speculate about the situation.

My worst fear now is since this leaked out here and it took away their grand announcement, that the Sox will change their minds.

WhiteSoxFTW
04-12-2010, 01:41 PM
If this young man has the job, just announce that he is the heir apparent. No need to wait and have people speculate about the situation.

My worst fear now is since this leaked out here and it took away their grand announcement, that the Sox will change their minds.
:scratch:

Yeah, because that makes so much sense.

SephClone89

+1

ilsox7

According to a handful of folks here, the Sox are clearly out to get them and piss off fans as much as possible.

Noneck
04-12-2010, 01:51 PM
According to a handful of folks here, the Sox are clearly out to get them and piss off fans as much as possible.

There is quite a bit of mistrust of Sox management among older Sox fans. (justified or not) This kind of stuff doesn't help that situation.

soxnut1018
04-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Nancy is the sweetest lady. She loves meeting people. Not only will she take a picture with you, she will take the time to have a conversation.

I have always loved Nancy but where is she in US Cellular and how would I go about meeting her?

Frontman
04-12-2010, 05:14 PM

No; we as fans should enjoy the here and now instead of worrying about next year.

They'll announce it when the time is right. Right now; its Nancy's job. Next year; it sounds like its Aaron's job. For the Sox to announce it now; instead of any interviews with Nancy being about her swan song, time will then be dedicated for the new kid. Let Nancy have her final curtain call; then worry about the new guy.

In the meantime; let's enjoy the 2010 season and leave it at that.

Noneck
04-12-2010, 05:41 PM
No; we as fans should enjoy the here and now instead of worrying about next year.

They'll announce it when the time is right. Right now; its Nancy's job. Next year; it sounds like its Aaron's job. For the Sox to announce it now; instead of any interviews with Nancy being about her swan song, time will then be dedicated for the new kid. Let Nancy have her final curtain call; then worry about the new guy.

In the meantime; let's enjoy the 2010 season and leave it at that.

Everyone plans and looks forward to the future. And now, since the cats out of the bag, be forth coming and let the fans know what the future will bring. This in no way should have an effect on the swan song of a true White Sox icon.

Hitmen77
04-12-2010, 08:10 PM
I have always loved Nancy but where is she in US Cellular and how would I go about meeting her?

Lower deck concourse right behind home plate. Her booth is often open to the concourse and there are always people there stopping by to say hi, take a picture, etc.

Frontman
04-12-2010, 10:32 PM
Everyone plans and looks forward to the future. And now, since the cats out of the bag, be forth coming and let the fans know what the future will bring. This in no way should have an effect on the swan song of a true White Sox icon.

Ok, they make the announcement. So what?

Either way, how about worrying about the here and now; versus worrying about the future?

And no; not everyone plans and looks forward to the future. The practical deal with the here and now.

Noneck
04-12-2010, 11:11 PM
Ok, they make the announcement. So what?

Either way, how about worrying about the here and now; versus worrying about the future?

And no; not everyone plans and looks forward to the future. The practical deal with the here and now.

Who said one cant enjoy the present and also look forward to the future?

Its a weird perspective on life if one doesn't plan or look forward to the future.

Good luck on that lifestyle.

Jpgr91
04-12-2010, 11:35 PM
LOL when some random person posts something on the internet and then it gets an "official" response from the team....
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/04/sox-have-no-plans-to-pull-plug-on-organ-music.html

Frontman
04-13-2010, 12:06 AM
Who said one cant enjoy the present and also look forward to the future?

Its a weird perspective on life if one doesn't plan or look forward to the future.

Good luck on that lifestyle.

Whatever. To me, announcing they don't have a replacement yet just adds fuel to the fire to "Fire Brooks."

As soon as they announce a replacement; it will be "She/He isn't Nancy."

As soon as the replacement proves they can do the job, it will be "She/he's good, but no one can compare to Nancy."

Simply put, good luck with the lifestyle of always finding fault in anything the Sox do.

ilsox7
04-13-2010, 12:19 AM
Whatever. To me, announcing they don't have a replacement yet just adds fuel to the fire to "Fire Brooks."

As soon as they announce a replacement; it will be "She/He isn't Nancy."

As soon as the replacement proves they can do the job, it will be "She/he's good, but no one can compare to Nancy."

Simply put, good luck with the lifestyle of always finding fault in anything the Sox do.

The Sox could offer to give every one of its fans a nice, crisp $20 and people would complain they did not get $100.

Noneck
04-13-2010, 12:20 AM

Now the Sox are verifying that organ music will probably be back next year, with or without Nancy. (Was that really that hard to do in the first place?) But are not substantiating what was posted here, that the young man was offered the job. I sure hope the people posting here that stated he was offered the job didn't cause him to lose it.

And finally, I don't fault the Sox in everything they do, I have no idea where you come up with something like that. You don't even know me.

GoSox2K3
04-13-2010, 08:56 AM
The organ music is VERY incidental to my experience at Sox Park, or any park for that matter......

I really doubt that dumping organ music is going to bring in enough extra fans/cash for the Sox to spend on quality players and scouting.

As far as organ vs. canned music being incidental to my experience at Sox Park, I strongly disagree with this statement for the times that they crank up the canned music so loudly that I can hardly talk to the people I'm with in between innings.

I think the Sox have gotten better about this in recent years (perhaps in response to fan complaints?), but it's still a problem - a very annoying one that ruins the ballpark experience- at times. It sounds like from some of the posts here that the excessive noise level is still a problem even this year. It's not like we're a bunch of old geezers complaining about any music being too loud. If it's too loud that I have to shout to talk to my friends in between innings, then that's a problem and that should not be acceptable to White Sox management.

GoSox2K3
04-13-2010, 09:03 AM
I have heard it is JR - he banned the organ at Bulls games years ago but knew Nancy could never be fired

....or maybe not:

LOL when some random person posts something on the internet and then it gets an "official" response from the team....
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/04/sox-have-no-plans-to-pull-plug-on-organ-music.html

Frontman
04-13-2010, 09:36 AM
Now the Sox are verifying that organ music will probably be back next year, with or without Nancy. (Was that really that hard to do in the first place?) But are not substantiating what was posted here, that the young man was offered the job. I sure hope the people posting here that stated he was offered the job didn't cause him to lose it.

And finally, I don't fault the Sox in everything they do, I have no idea where you come up with something like that. You don't even know me.

I don't know; probably the same place you came up with I need luck with my lifestyle, aka dealing with the here and now versus worrying if an organ will be played during NEXT YEARS' baseball season.

Noneck
04-13-2010, 01:06 PM
I don't know; probably the same place you came up with I need luck with my lifestyle, aka dealing with the here and now versus worrying if an organ will be played during NEXT YEARS' baseball season.

OK:rolleyes: And that has what to do with your statement "good luck with the lifestyle of always finding fault in anything the Sox do." ?

Live in the moment, never plan or look forward to the future and enjoy what the present brings you. If you cant enjoy the present while planning and looking forward to the future that's ok also. Whatever makes you happy is great.

FoulTerritory
04-13-2010, 03:53 PM
So, now I'm confused. We have young organ prodigy Aaron Foster's Auntie telling us he has been hired by the Sox, and no denial from Brooks, but then a newspaper article claiming there has been no hire?

Strange.

AuntieKaren
04-13-2010, 04:04 PM
I'm sorry that I posted! I didn't realize how big this issue was. Apparently, the Sox have decided to keep Nancy's replacement hush-hush..... maybe to keep the spotlight on Nancy, as it should be. Maybe to give Aaron time to acclimate. Whatever the case, I opened my big mouth and the damage is done. Sorry Sox! Sorry Aaron! They didn't tell him that it was a secret.

cub killer
04-18-2010, 09:14 AM
I'm sorry that I posted! I didn't realize how big this issue was. Apparently, the Sox have decided to keep Nancy's replacement hush-hush..... maybe to keep the spotlight on Nancy, as it should be. Maybe to give Aaron time to acclimate. Whatever the case, I opened my big mouth and the damage is done. Sorry Sox! Sorry Aaron! They didn't tell him that it was a secret.
WSI would make a great TV sitcom.

Fenway
04-18-2010, 11:36 AM
The Fenway organist who had interest in the White Sox job says he knows Aaron and he will be accepted.

BainesHOF
04-18-2010, 01:07 PM
As far as organ vs. canned music being incidental to my experience at Sox Park, I strongly disagree with this statement for the times that they crank up the canned music so loudly that I can hardly talk to the people I'm with in between innings.

I think the Sox have gotten better about this in recent years (perhaps in response to fan complaints?), but it's still a problem - a very annoying one that ruins the ballpark experience- at times. It sounds like from some of the posts here that the excessive noise level is still a problem even this year. It's not like we're a bunch of old geezers complaining about any music being too loud. If it's too loud that I have to shout to talk to my friends in between innings, then that's a problem and that should not be acceptable to White Sox management.

Bingo!

I love music (In fact, I founded a local concert site for music fans at http://www.ChicagoConcertgoers.com). I love loud music. However, the canned music at the park is too often too loud. You're right. Sometimes you can't even talk to the person next to you.

White Sox management needs to come out of their skyboxes and sit in the stands during a game and find out just how annoying the sound level is.

And someone smart in management needs to put someone in charge with a smart taste in music who'll replace the same tired and stale canned music that's played. It's mind-numbing. For an example of how music can be smartly incorporated to create a cool, energized vibe, listen to "The Dan McNeil Show" on the Score. Partner and local band singer Matt Spiegel's musical influence is obvious. They use popular music that is familiar yet fresh.

Frontman
04-18-2010, 06:15 PM
Ok, I take it back:

Sox, please announce Nancy's replacement soon. We could use good news. And if Nancy wanted to opt out of this nightmarish season and start retirement early; I highly doubt any of us would begrudge her that.