PDA

View Full Version : Should The #6 Be "Unofficially Retired" For Charlie Lau?

Thome25
04-02-2010, 03:11 PM
This conversation stemmed from another thread and I think it deserves it's own discussion/poll.

Just like the title reads, Should the #6 be "unofficially retired"?

Here's my take: With all due respect to Mr. Lau and his family, I am not a big fan of "unofficially" retiring a number. If the White Sox don't want anyone to wear the #6 and they feel like he is worthy of a number retirement then, do it officially.

If not, they should find another way to honor him. Put his face on the outfield wall, put a statue of him up in the ballpark, heck name a part of the ballpark after him. (Lau Bleachers anyone?)

But, don't unofficially retire his number. Put it back into circulation where it belongs.......I know it doesn't bother Bacon but, as quite possibly the future face of the franchise Beckham should be able to have his number IMO.

So what do you think?

SephClone89
04-02-2010, 03:12 PM
No. Let Beckham wear #6. 15 is a lame number.

Lau was only with the Sox for a very short time, too.

soltrain21
04-02-2010, 03:14 PM
Doesn't bother me at all. If it stays "retired," that's okay. If Lau's estate gives Beckham the "blessing" to wear it then that's okay, too.

And who cares if it's Beckham number? I would have never known.

sox1970
04-02-2010, 03:16 PM
I've been clear...Beckham should have a 6 on his back.

Thome25
04-02-2010, 03:18 PM
If the White Sox put the #6 back into circulation it could become huge in Chicago:

Gordon Beckham #6
Jay Cutler #6
Lebron James #6--After he signs with the Bulls (HOPEFULLY *CROSSES FINGERS*) #6 is the number he recently applied for to wear during the 2010-11 season.

Thome25
04-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Here is a link to a wikipedia profile of Charlie Lau for those of you who don't know who he was:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Lau

Also, does anyone have Brooks Boyer's email address? I'd like to send him a link to this thread.

g0g0
04-02-2010, 03:25 PM
If the White Sox don't want anyone to wear the #6 and they feel like he is worthy of a number retirement then, do it officially.

This. If it means so much to the organization to not let anyone (supposedly) wear it, then they need to just retire it. But really, I could care less about the number(s). Every player has their own superstitions about their numbers or just had a favorite player growing up. I want to see a new batch of numbers given retirement status after current Sox players have great careers (like Beckham!).

soltrain21
04-02-2010, 03:27 PM
Here is a link to a wikipedia profile of Charlie Lau for those of you who don't know who he was:

Also, does anyone have Brooks Boyer's email address? I'd like to send him a link to this thread.

If Beckham isn't going to make a big deal about it, and Jerry really values Lau then why would something change?

Thome25
04-02-2010, 03:28 PM
You know what's really backwards? The White Sox were willing to let a number which was OFFICIALLY retired to be worn this season in #11 but, won't let a player wear a number (#6) which isn't officially retired?

Granted, Aparicio had a say in the #11 deal but, I'm sure the organization did too.

Chez
04-02-2010, 03:35 PM
No. Let Beckham wear #6. 15 is a lame number.

Lau was only with the Sox for a very short time, too.

Dick Allen wore #15. That makes it a bad-ass number.

As for the Charlie Lau debate, as I said in the other thread, if the guy who owns the team wants to unofficially retire a number in honor and memory of a man who he respected and admired, that's good enough reason for me. It is, after all, his team!

BadBobbyJenks
04-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Got an authentic black 15, dont really feel like modifying it.

soltrain21
04-02-2010, 03:43 PM

As for the Charlie Lau debate, as I said in the other thread, if the guy who owns the team wants to unofficially retire a number in honor and memory of a man who he respected and admired, that's good enough reason for me. It is, after all, his team!

My thoughts exactly.

Got an authentic black 15, dont really feel like modifying it.

But it'd be a throwback, DUDE!

Brian26
04-02-2010, 03:44 PM

Nothing like bothering Brooks Boyer with something he has no control over (nor should he since he joined the club 20 years after Lau's death and had no relationship with him) a few days before Opening Day.

Brian26
04-02-2010, 03:44 PM

Bingo.

Thome25
04-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Nothing like bothering Brooks Boyer with something he has no control over (nor should he since he joined the club 20 years after Lau's death and had no relationship with him) a few days before Opening Day.

Very true and I doubt I would ACTUALLY send him a link to this thread anyway. Not sure if you were the mod who added the third option. I understand that it isn't our decision but, that doesn't mean it isn't any less entertaining to debate back and forth about. That is what this site is all about isn't it? Debating our unbiased opinions back and forth?

HomeFish
04-02-2010, 05:21 PM
I can't wait for the season to start

TDog
04-02-2010, 05:23 PM
White Sox fans seem to have low standards when it comes to retiring numbers.