PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Players on Picking Numbers

PaleHoser
04-02-2010, 10:47 AM
Pretty interesting video (http://www.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=7241151)

I particularly like Juan Pierre's story.

Corlose 15
04-02-2010, 10:57 AM
I thought Alexei's story about how 10 was Omar Linares' number was pretty cool. That's a pretty big number to live up to for a Cuban.

sox1970
04-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Beckham should wear 6.

Corlose 15
04-02-2010, 11:03 AM
Beckham should wear 6.

I don't think anyone will wear 6 again, at least as long as Jerry is in charge because of Lau.

sox1970
04-02-2010, 11:08 AM
I don't think anyone will wear 6 again, at least as long as Jerry is in charge because of Lau.

I know, but I think it's dumb to unofficially retire a number for Lau. The average fan has no idea who Charley Lau was, and they don't know that it's unofficially retired. It would be better if they just honored him somewhere in the park with a plaque that fans will see. If 6 is what Beckham has worn since little league, let him wear it.

Thome25
04-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Thanks for posting that video.....I'm a uniform/jersey # buff so I found it VERY interesting.

As a side note, I HIGHLY recommend the book "Now Batting Number......" by Jack Looney. It is a VERY interesting and comprehensive history of uniform numbers in MLB and even gives a team by team list of numbers worn every year going all the way back to when they started wearing them.

It also gives information about the clubhouse guys who issue the numbers and the unofficial numbering system in MLB. (ever notice why a pitcher rarely ever wears a # in the single digits?) Either way it's a MUST READ.

Link:

http://www.amazon.com/Now-Batting-Number-Superstition-Baseballs/dp/1579125751/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270221214&sr=1-1

Thome25
04-02-2010, 11:18 AM
I know, but I think it's dumb to unofficially retire a number for Lau. The average fan has no idea who Charley Lau was, and they don't know that it's unofficially retired. It would be better if they just honored him somewhere in the park with a plaque that fans will see. If 6 is what Beckham has worn since little league, let him wear it.

Yeah I agree. Alot baseball players are supersticious about uniform #. I was never a big fan of "unofficially" retiring a number. If the White Sox want to honor Lau by not having anyone wear his # then officially retire it. If his number is not worthy of being retired then find another way to honor him. (I.E. a picture on the outfiled mural.....put something in the ballpark to honor him, etc.)

Otherwise, it needs to be used just like any other #.

JohnnyInnsbrook
04-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Not that it matters much, but I wonder if Bobby knew that this guy wore his number...

http://ajroxmywhitesox.mlblogs.com/Jordan%20White%20Sox%20%28bestweekever.tv%29.JPG

BleacherBandit
04-02-2010, 12:44 PM
It also gives information about the clubhouse guys who issue the numbers and the unofficial numbering system in MLB. (ever notice why a pitcher rarely ever wears a # in the single digits?)

Yeah, I've always wanted to know why that was. How come? That's kind of like the stupid numbering system in the NFL, although I do recognize some of its utility.

HomeFish
04-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Is there a good resource for player numbers? I'm trying to remember what # el duque wore with the Yankees but it's not coming to me.

soltrain21
04-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Is there a good resource for player numbers? I'm trying to remember what # el duque wore with the Yankees but it's not coming to me.

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/81392540.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA54845DFA6AE0120E7BD A26B309CAEEB6D7C204E0D4E34455787

JohnnyInnsbrook
04-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Yeah, I've always wanted to know why that was. How come? That's kind of like the stupid numbering system in the NFL, although I do recognize some of its utility.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_number_%28Major_League_Baseball%29

Thome25
04-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Thanks for posting that video.....I'm a uniform/jersey # buff so I found it VERY interesting.

As a side note, I HIGHLY recommend the book "Now Batting Number......" by Jack Looney. It is a VERY interesting and comprehensive history of uniform numbers in MLB and even gives a team by team list of numbers worn every year going all the way back to when they started wearing them.

It also gives information about the clubhouse guys who issue the numbers and the unofficial numbering system in MLB. (ever notice why a pitcher rarely ever wears a # in the single digits?) Either way it's a MUST READ.

Link:

http://www.amazon.com/Now-Batting-Number-Superstition-Baseballs/dp/1579125751/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270221214&sr=1-1

The book that I mentioned in post # 6 of this thread. Please see above.

konerko 14
04-02-2010, 01:16 PM
Scott Linebrinks story was pretty cool

october23sp
04-02-2010, 01:26 PM
Most of their stories were "It was the number in my locker when I came here."

Thome25
04-02-2010, 01:30 PM
AJ's story was pretty cool. He wore 12 in high school and always wanted the # but never got it. He found the home he really wanted with the White Sox and also got the # he really wanted too.

*In Hawk Harrelson Voice* I Luuuvv AJ!!

PaleHoser
04-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Is there a good resource for player numbers?

Baseball Reference (http://www.baseball-reference.com/) is posting player numbers and the years they wore them with team color schemes. It's pretty accurate, but I've noticed they miss some number changes if a player changes numbers while on the same team.

skobabe8
04-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Yeah I agree. Alot baseball players are supersticious about uniform #. I was never a big fan of "unofficially" retiring a number. If the White Sox want to honor Lau by not having anyone wear his # then officially retire it. If his number is not worthy of being retired then find another way to honor him. (I.E. a picture on the outfiled mural.....put something in the ballpark to honor him, etc.)

Otherwise, it needs to be used just like any other #.

I agree totally. I had never heard of Lau until last year, and i still dont know why #6 is untouchable. Im sure i could google it in 2 seconds, but who has the time?? :scratch:

Thome25
04-02-2010, 03:03 PM
I agree totally. I had never heard of Lau until last year, and i still dont know why #6 is untouchable. Im sure i could google it in 2 seconds, but who has the time?? :scratch:

Charlie Lau was a hitting coach for the White Sox who sadly passed away from cancer. Walt Hriniak was a disciple of his.

Chez
04-02-2010, 03:08 PM

Because the man who owns the team wants it that way! I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, but it really is that simple.