PDA

View Full Version : It's The 20th Season Of The Current Uniforms.

Thome25
04-02-2010, 07:21 AM
I am somewhat of a uniform history buff (and uniform #'s too.) and something occurred to me. This is the 20th anniversary of the current uniforms. Can't believe it's been that long. I was in the 8th grade when they first started wearing them. I'm 32 now.

The White Sox began wearing them full-time to start the 1991 season. 20 years is quite the accomplishment for a team that was known to change uniforms more often than most.

Kudos to JR and company for building a uniform tradition by keeping them for so long. Here's hoping that we never change the uniform style again and keep these for the foreseeable future. (ala the Yankees, Red Sawx, Tigers, Dodgers, etc.) They are after all the uniforms that we won our first World Series in 88 years in.

The gothic script S-O-X style uniform that we currently wear has been worn in some form or another in the 1950's, 60's, 70's and now practically the entire decades of the 1990's and 2000's.

The only uniform with as much prevalence in White Sox history is the 1917 style with the "O" and "X" inside the letter "S".

Here's to many many more years of wearing the current uniform style!!! It has already become a timeless part of White Sox history!!:gulp::bandance:

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-02-2010, 07:51 AM
Wow....and next opening day will be 20 years at New Comiskey/UCSF.

Time does fly.

And I like the fact that the current Sox logo is now an iron front on the roof in the UD. I know things can always be changed, but in my mind it gives some permanence to it.

dwalteroo
04-02-2010, 08:53 AM
I know that current Sox-logoed merchandise at least used to be one of the better sellers in MLB across the country. Does anyone know if this still the case?

Thome25
04-02-2010, 09:03 AM
I know that current Sox-logoed merchandise at least used to be one of the better sellers in MLB across the country. Does anyone know if this still the case?

Not to turn this into a political thread but, sales of White Sox merchandise went up recently because the President is a White Sox fan.

guillen4life13
04-02-2010, 09:08 AM
^I think it still is. Even in Miami, I see them quite a bit on campus. Most of the people wearing them aren't from Chicago, nor are they baseball fans. They just liked the way the hat looked.

My favorite Sox uniform is the sleeveless they brought in about 10-11 years ago. I don't think they used it even once last season.

Rocky Soprano
04-02-2010, 09:17 AM
My favorite Sox uniform is the sleeveless they brought in about 10-11 years ago. I don't think they used it even once last season.

If I am not mistaken the Sox retired that jersey.

Brian26
04-02-2010, 10:01 AM
I still have a VHS tape somewhere of the first appearance of the uniforms. It was completely unannounced. There was a show on SportsChannel hosted by Tom Paciorek, who always had Jeff Torborg on with him to go over video highlights from the week. This show must have been from late July of 1990. The camera cut to Paciorek and Torborg on the old Comiskey Field to do the show, and Torborg was wearing the road grey uni and hat and talked about how classy they looked. Then they showed some video of Ozzie and Fisk wearing the home white pinstripes and black batting practice jersey. They were a hit from the beginning.

TheOldRoman
04-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Just a clarification, this is NOT the 20th anniversary. It is the 20th season, 19th anniversary. Next year will be the 20th anniverary (1991-2011).

I agree that it is great the Sox found a classic, iconic uniform after changing so much. This is their look now, they won a World Series in it, and I don't think it should ever change. No new alternates, no drop shadows, no changing the numbers to a "kewl" edgy font. I hope the Sox' unis are the same when I take my grandkids to games. Limit the black jerseys to once a week as alternates and the look would be infinately better.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-02-2010, 10:36 AM
:happybday

Here's hoping that we get to see some uniforms other than the black alternates this season. That was bordering on ridiculous how often they were used last season.

Corlose 15
04-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Just a clarification, this is NOT the 20th anniversary. It is the 20th season, 19th anniversary. Next year will be the 20th anniverary (1991-2011).

I agree that it is great the Sox found a classic, iconic uniform after changing so much. This is their look now, they won a World Series in it, and I don't think it should ever change. No new alternates, no drop shadows, no changing the numbers to a "kewl" edgy font. I hope the Sox' unis are the same when I take my grandkids to games. Limit the black jerseys to once a week as alternates and the look would be infinately better.

I agree. They wear the black uniforms way too much. It's gotten to the point where the home pinstripes and road grays seem like the alternates.

Thome25
04-02-2010, 10:44 AM

Technically, it's the 21st season as they introducted them at the end of 1990. It's the 20th full season they've had these uniforms on their backs so IMHO I'm going to consider this the 20th anniversary of the silver and black.

october23sp
04-02-2010, 10:53 AM
I agree. They wear the black uniforms way too much. It's gotten to the point where the home pinstripes and road grays seem like the alternates.

The black uniforms are at the point of making me vomit.

Irishsox1
04-02-2010, 10:53 AM
The old saying went "The only thing the White Sox have every lead the majors in is changes to the uniform."

However long it's been, these jerseys are great. I like all of them, the road grey, road black, home white, the retro's. Compared to the mess of the late '70's and '80's, the change made in 1990-1991 was a great decision.

TheOldRoman
04-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Technically, it's the 21st season as they introducted them at the end of 1990. It's the 20th full season they've had these uniforms on their backs so IMHO I'm going to consider this the 20th anniversary of the silver and black.Fair enough. I thought you were referring to when these were their "official" uniforms.

If I am not mistaken the Sox retired that jersey.Yes, it was retired after 2007. It looked nice, but if they were going to have a vest, I thought it should have been a tribute to the 1969 unis, with just piping. Actually, pretty much like the recently eliminated Rangers home vest (http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/images/2003/12/04/Eodny2wk.jpg). The vests started to look sloppy when they brought them back in 05 (2002-04 had normal jerseys with black sleeves). The problem was that the shoulders extended too far. Either way, the vests were nice, but they didn't need to exist, especially with how much they wear the black. The regular sleeved home jerseys were almost never seen from June through August, as it was either the black jerseys or vests.

TommyJohn
04-02-2010, 11:09 AM
:happybday

Here's hoping that we get to see some uniforms other than the black alternates this season. That was bordering on ridiculous how often they were used last season.

The black uniforms are at the point of making me vomit.I don't know why they wore the black alternates so often, but if I had to guess I would say that the players (or the starting pitcher, who chooses the uni for the day I think) probably felt that they played better or won more often in them. Just a guess, knowing that many athletes are superstitious.

salty99
04-02-2010, 11:11 AM
I agree I am also not a fan of the black unis. BRING BACK THE SLEEVELESS!!! Ok maybe not.

TheOldRoman
04-02-2010, 11:25 AM
I don't know why they wore the black alternates so often, but if I had to guess I would say that the players (or the starting pitcher, who chooses the uni for the day I think) probably felt that they played better or won more often in them. Just a guess, knowing that many athletes are superstitious.The Sox give the starting pitcher the choice of what to wear, and the generally stick with a jersey on a winning streak and change when the lose (although they often ignore that and wear black through multiple losses). We need to look no farther than the NFL's monochrome nonsense with decent uniforms made horrible (Seahawks and Ravens) and bad uniforms made absolutely horrendous (Falcons, Vikings and Bengals) to see why players should have no input whatsoever into uniform decisions.

TDog
04-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Not to turn this into a political thread but, sales of White Sox merchandise went up recently because the President is a White Sox fan.

And sales used to be high, in large part, because the colors and logo were big in gang circles.

Nellie_Fox
04-02-2010, 11:37 AM
Yeah, Mr. "Cominsky Field." He's a fan of the hat.

HomeFish
04-02-2010, 11:37 AM
I believe there was some kind of experiment a few years back where they showed MLB caps to British people who knew nothing about baseball, and the White Sox cap was rated the coolest.

I live in Boston and see White Sox hats all the time, though it is clearly for fashion purposes. I've also gotten a bunch of "nice hat" compliments when wearing my White Sox cap around beantown.

(When Red Sox fans give me crap for wearing White Sox stuff, I ask them if they would stop wearing Red Sox stuff if they moved to Chicago, and that shuts them up)

WhiteSoxFTW
04-02-2010, 01:34 PM
I believe there was some kind of experiment a few years back where they showed MLB caps to British people who knew nothing about baseball, and the White Sox cap was rated the coolest.

I live in Boston and see White Sox hats all the time, though it is clearly for fashion purposes. I've also gotten a bunch of "nice hat" compliments when wearing my White Sox cap around beantown.

(When Red Sox fans give me crap for wearing White Sox stuff, I ask them if they would stop wearing Red Sox stuff if they moved to Chicago, and that shuts them up)
Good comeback. Very smart.

doublem23
04-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Yeah, Mr. "Cominsky Field." He's a fan of the hat.

:rolleyes:

Just deal with it.

Medford Bobby
04-02-2010, 05:31 PM
I still have a VHS tape somewhere of the first appearance of the uniforms. It was completely unannounced. There was a show on SportsChannel hosted by Tom Paciorek, who always had Jeff Torborg on with him to go over video highlights from the week. This show must have been from late July of 1990. The camera cut to Paciorek and Torborg on the old Comiskey Field to do the show, and Torborg was wearing the road grey uni and hat and talked about how classy they looked. Then they showed some video of Ozzie and Fisk wearing the home white pinstripes and black batting practice jersey. They were a hit from the beginning.

I have that tape as it was also the weekly highlights of "Earth, Wind and Fire" game from July 1, 1990.

And somewhere in my collection I have the first game the Sox wore those new uni's too...

Brian26
04-02-2010, 08:42 PM
I have that tape as it was also the weekly highlights of "Earth, Wind and Fire" game from July 1, 1990.

And somewhere in my collection I have the first game the Sox wore those new uni's too...

I loved how the Sox wore the new unis during the last week of the '90 season, including getting the national exposure in them against Boston in Fenway in the infamous Brunansky-catch game. I still say that ball fell in for a hit off Ozzie's bat.

soxinem1
04-02-2010, 09:31 PM
I wouldn't say they have kept the same uniform for 20 years when they have added countless 'alternate' jersey styles in that time.:scratch:

doublem23
04-02-2010, 09:46 PM
I wouldn't say they have kept the same uniform for 20 years when they have added countless 'alternate' jersey styles in that time.:scratch:

Its still the same basic home, road, and black alt jersey for the past 20 years though, with some small modification here and there. Really, what other alternative jersey have they really worn? The sleeveless vests and the 1917-inspired Sunday jerseys in 2001?

Tragg
04-02-2010, 11:30 PM
I liked the Cap we wore in the transition year (last year in old park) with that old-time C at the top.

MeteorsSox4367
04-03-2010, 02:34 AM
I remember buying the black cap at Grandstand before my last game at Comiskey against the Twins, which was on the Wednesday of the final homestand.

I like the home whites and the road grays with "Chicago" on the front are classy. That's the jersey I own.

I agree about wearing the black jerseys much too frequently. I do like the sleeveless jerseys from the past.

I'd also have no objections to the 1959 uniforms that were worn when A.J. homered against the Dodgers making an occasional appearance. Those are very cool.

Medford Bobby
04-03-2010, 08:19 AM
I remember buying the black cap at Grandstand before my last game at Comiskey against the Twins, which was on the Wednesday of the final homestand.
I too picked up a new hat at Comiskey park on Sept. 27, 1990 for 20 bucks!!

http://playoffsport.com/shop/images/chicago%20white%20sox.jpg:bandance:

SephClone89
04-03-2010, 09:16 AM
I'd also have no objections to the 1959 uniforms that were worn when A.J. homered against the Dodgers making an occasional appearance. Those are very cool.

Love these unis, too, but as others have pointed out here, the ones we wore last year where completely wrong--the most notable error was that the colour was pretty much plain white, rather than the cream coloured originals. I believe there was a problem with the size and placement of the numbers, as well.

johnnyg83
04-03-2010, 09:23 AM
I too picked up a new hat at Comiskey park on Sept. 27, 1990 for 20 bucks!!

http://playoffsport.com/shop/images/chicago%20white%20sox.jpg:bandance:

Me too!

MeteorsSox4367
04-03-2010, 09:39 AM
Love these unis, too, but as others have pointed out here, the ones we wore last year where completely wrong--the most notable error was that the colour was pretty much plain white, rather than the cream coloured originals. I believe there was a problem with the size and placement of the numbers, as well.

I'm with you. The ones the Sox wore in '05 I thought were accurate depictions of the '59 unis. But, yeah, if the Sox are going to wear retros, I want them to be exactly accurate.

Red Barchetta
04-03-2010, 12:35 PM
I loved how the Sox wore the new unis during the last week of the '90 season, including getting the national exposure in them against Boston in Fenway in the infamous Brunansky-catch game. I still say that ball fell in for a hit off Ozzie's bat.

I remember going to one of those games with the new uniforms. Hat sales were through the roof! Everyone had one. I absolutely loved the one I bought and practically wore it all winter.

I miss the older version New Era Wool caps. They looked a lot more like the low profile field caps that the players wore instead of the mall store version cap. I also liked the grey underbill.

Brian26
04-03-2010, 12:38 PM
I miss the older version New Era Wool caps. They looked a lot more like the low profile field caps that the players wore instead of the mall store version cap. I also liked the grey underbill.

I'm with you on that. I miss the grey underbill too. I actually remember having an '81 Sox cap that had the old green underbill.