PDA

View Full Version : Rosenthal picks Sox to win it all

Sockinchisox
04-01-2010, 03:49 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Rosenthal-picks-Chicago-White-Sox-to-win-World-Series-033110

spawn
04-01-2010, 03:57 PM
I was looking for an "April Fool's!!!" at the end of the article.

areilly
04-01-2010, 03:57 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Rosenthal-picks-Chicago-White-Sox-to-win-World-Series-033110

Look closer: he doesn't actually pick anyone to do anything. Truth told, he almost makes them the butt of his whole prediction-related joke.

Lip Man 1
04-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Reilly:

Didn't seem funny to me, he was pointing out some valid reasons why they could win it.

Lip

DSpivack
04-01-2010, 04:06 PM
He thinks Tim McCarver should get an award for best broadcaster? :o:

I might just like the Team Wacko nod, though.

NardiWasHere
04-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Great article.

soltrain21
04-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Look closer: he doesn't actually pick anyone to do anything. Truth told, he almost makes them the butt of his whole prediction-related joke.

Not really.

WhiteSoxFTW
04-01-2010, 04:37 PM
It was a fun read. He did say you could "insert your team here" to all those people who would rip on him for his prediction. I like Rosenthal and generally enjoy his baseball views.

asindc
04-01-2010, 04:39 PM
An interesting tidbit for me: His reason for why NYY won't repeat is exactly my reason for why they might not make the playoffs. I think some people tend to forget how old that team is.

guillensdisciple
04-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Wow, but Rosenthal has always been sympathetic to the Sox hasn't he?

04-01-2010, 05:02 PM

He was just on a San Diego sports radio station and when asked who he predicted who win it all he said the Chicago White Sox. I almost thought he was kidding too!

DumpJerry
04-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Nope. Cubs.

Slappy
04-01-2010, 05:21 PM
That was a real nice read. :D:

hellenicsoxfan
04-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Hope he's better at predicting the World Series champs than Sports Illustrated (Peter King, I think) was picking the Super Bowl champs last year.

TheVulture
04-01-2010, 05:39 PM
He says he's picking Team Wacko to win the series. :spongebob:
I assume that means the Sox.

mzh
04-01-2010, 07:54 PM
It seemed slightly odd, the way he explains his pick is not that the Sox are a great, WS team, but rather that if things go right they sort of win by default instead of actually beating other teams. The way he put it just seemed strange.

Boondock Saint
04-01-2010, 07:56 PM
It seemed slightly odd, the way he explains his pick is not that the Sox are a great, WS team, but rather that if things go right they sort of win by default instead of actually beating other teams. The way he put it just seemed strange.

He pointed out that there isn't a team out there that's flawless. He thinks that if things go well with our bullpen and offense, our rotation can carry us through the playoffs.

thomas35forever
04-01-2010, 08:14 PM
It seems like he only picked us by process of elimination. That said, go Team Wacko!:bandance:

I think that should be our new nickname for the Sox. Who's with me?

Rdy2PlayBall
04-01-2010, 08:31 PM
I think it's the fact that our pitching staff is so good that's driving his optimism for the Sox. Our 1-4 leading it's way through the playoffs could end up being '05-like... like he said. It doesn't take much for us to get into the playoffs... and with our 5th starter out of the way, we could go to the WS and possibly win it. I think we can afford having an bad offensive day, a team like the Twins will probably not win a ton of games where they only score a run or two. To me, it seems like the playoffs turn baseball into a defensive game, where the regular season is offensive game. Idk, I don't see what else could be driving his optimism, because I don't think anyone, including himself, think that the Sox will finish with the best record.

If Rios and Quentin produce the way they can... our offense could actually be pretty decent.

It seems like he only picked us by process of elimination. That said, go Team Wacko!:bandance:
I think that should be our new nickname for the Sox. Who's with me?Haha, nah. :P

mzh
04-01-2010, 08:41 PM
I think we can afford having an bad offensive day, a team like the Twins will probably not win a ton of games where they only score a run or two. To me, it seems like the playoffs turn baseball into a defensive game, where the regular season is offensive game. Idk, I don't see what else could be driving his optimism, because I don't think anyone, including himself, think that the Sox will finish with the best record.

This is the big advantage we have over the Twins and Tiggers. For the first time in recent memory, a 1-run lead in the ninth is no longer a win 9.5/10 times, and what with our strong staff and their already-weak one, we can afford to only score 2 or 3 runs a few times. I believe that great pitching can always trump great hitting because even if you have 4 or 5 good or great hitters, there's still 4 or 5 other not-so-great hitters. But if you have a great pitcher, it'll be one great pitcher against not just the good but the bad as well.

Not quite as clear as it seems in my head, but hopefully you get the gist of it.

fcl
04-01-2010, 08:46 PM

In 2005 he didn't pick the White Sox to do jack, blaming their lack of offense. I started to bombard his email. As the Sox got hotter I emailed more. Finally about mid June he finally responded. He wrote me back and said "OK I cry Uncle! I obviously underestimated this team and you did not. Well done."

So he is a good guy in my book. I haven't emailed him since. :D:

Rdy2PlayBall
04-01-2010, 08:54 PM
In 2005 he didn't pick the White Sox to do jack, blaming their lack of offense. I started to bombard his email. As the Sox got hotter I emailed more. Finally about mid June he finally responded. He wrote me back and said "OK I cry Uncle! I obviously underestimated this team and you did not. Well done."

So he is a good guy in my book. I haven't emailed him since. :D:Haha, real funny. I wonder if he was just replying to that email, or if he remembers all the ones you sent to him before. :P At least he responded, I could never imagine anyone from ESPN replying to the commoners.

:welcome:

Frater Perdurabo
04-01-2010, 09:26 PM
It seems like he only picked us by process of elimination.

Isn't the regular season, and the post-season, by definition a process of elimination?

Someone has to win, right?

At least a coherent and justifiable argument can be made that the Sox have a chance to win it all. That's just not the case with many MLB teams who, unless something really strange happens, simply don't have a prayer of making the postseason.

Winning the division is the biggest obstacle for the Sox. But if they do, their rotation and back end of the bullpen should keep them competitive, and they only would need the offense to produce (no one can win the playoffs if their offense goes dormant).

Thatguyoverthere
04-01-2010, 09:35 PM
It seems he's saying if the Sox can make the playoffs, then they'll be a very dangerous team with the 1-4 in the starting rotation, and that the Nathan injury opens up a big door for the Sox to make it there.

soltrain21
04-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Haha, real funny. I wonder if he was just replying to that email, or if he remembers all the ones you sent to him before. :P At least he responded, I could never imagine anyone from ESPN replying to the commoners.

Journalists are completely normal people. He wasn't trying to coax emails out of Kobe Bryant or something.

Rdy2PlayBall
04-01-2010, 10:14 PM
Journalists are completely normal people. He wasn't trying to coax emails out of Kobe Bryant or something.Ya, I know. But I'm sure he gets more emails than the average person and he filters out mail where people bash his predictions.

jabrch
04-01-2010, 10:23 PM
His guess is no better or worse than anyone's...just a guess.

fcl
04-02-2010, 06:06 AM
Haha, real funny. I wonder if he was just replying to that email, or if he remembers all the ones you sent to him before. :P At least he responded, I could never imagine anyone from ESPN replying to the commoners.

I'm CERTAIN he remembered. For one he wouldn't cry "uncle" from one email. And I was kind of a jag. Every email I reminded him it was "me again" and I always typed my unique signature at the end. I was never inappropriate, but absolutley annoying and relentless. 1 or 2 emails every week.

VenturaFan23
04-02-2010, 06:13 AM
I love the Team Wacko nickname. If we're successful of course!

Thome25
04-02-2010, 06:44 AM
I'm more comfortable when the so-called national baseball "experts" think that we won't do jack. The "experts" predictions almost never come true and there's usually one or two teams that fly in outta nowhere and prove them wrong every year.

I'd rather be the team that flies in outta nowhere. Getting picked to finish well by these mediots is almoat always a "kiss of death".

Craig Grebeck
04-02-2010, 06:55 AM
I'm more comfortable when the so-called national baseball "experts" think that we won't do jack. The "experts" predictions almost never come true and there's usually one or two teams that fly in outta nowhere and prove them wrong every year.

I'd rather be the team that flies in outta nowhere. Getting picked to finish well by these mediots is almoat always a "kiss of death".
Yeah! Like how everyone thought the Phillies and Yankees would do well last year. Suckerssssssssssssss.

Thome25
04-02-2010, 07:25 AM
Yeah! Like how everyone thought the Phillies and Yankees would do well last year. Suckerssssssssssssss.

Rosenthal himself admitted that he didn't pick the Yankees last year. Bottom line is that the national prognosticators are almost always wrong.

Craig Grebeck
04-02-2010, 07:36 AM
Rosenthal himself admitted that he didn't pick the Yankees last year. Bottom line is that the national prognosticators are almost always wrong.
I'd actually rather have prognosticators aghast at my team's talent. Look at the last ten world series champions -- how many came out of nowhere?

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-02-2010, 07:54 AM
I could never imagine anyone from ESPN replying to the commoners.

Only if said commoner hailed from New York or Boston.

Thome25
04-02-2010, 08:06 AM
I'd actually rather have prognosticators aghast at my team's talent. Look at the last ten world series champions -- how many came out of nowhere?

Do you really want to go there? Here's the list of teams that came out of nowhere to win the WS the last 10 years:

2008 Phillies (They weren't even favorites to win their own division let alone the whole thing.)

2006 Cardinals (This team barely made it into the playoffs and was nobody's pick to win it all.)

2005 White Sox (they were picked by most "experts" to tank in 2005. Yankees were the favorites after acquiring Randy Johnson for the 2005 season.)

2004 Red Sawx (this team was not expected by anyone to 'reverse the curse"......they had to win 4 straight after being down 3 games to 0 in the ALCS.)

2003 Marlins (who honestly expected them to win it all that year?)

2002 Angels (a team that was largely expected to be mediocre at best flew in and won it all with timely hitting in the playoffs.)

2001 Diamondbacks (not a media darling that year either.....flew in and beat the heavily favored Yankees.)

Thats 7 out of the last 10 WS winners. 70% swooped in outta nowhere to win it all. Shall we go to the WS losers the last 10 years? Let's see how many teams that we can find that the media NEVER would've predicted getting to the WS:

2008 Rays ('nuff said)

2007 Rockies (tell me who predicted them getting to the WS?)

2006 Tigers (Weren't even predicted to win their division. White Sox were heavily favored to win the division that year......also made it to the WS.)

2005 Astros (yet another team that was not favored by the "media experts")

2004 Cardinals (They swooped in and made the playoffs and weren't even favored to win their own division. The Cubs were the favorite out of the NL Central after the 2003 debacle)

2002 Giants (who favored them that year?)

60% of the last 10 World Series LOSERS weren't even favored to GET TO the WS by the media experts......now do you see my point?

Craig Grebeck
04-02-2010, 08:20 AM
Do you really want to go there? Here's the list of teams that came out of nowhere to win the WS the last 10 years:

2008 Phillies (They weren't even favorites to win their own division let alone the whole thing.)

2006 Cardinals (This team barely made it into the playoffs and was nobody's pick to win it all.)

2005 White Sox (they were picked by most "experts" to tank in 2005. Yankees were the favorites after acquiring Randy Johnson for the 2005 season.)

2004 Red Sawx (this team was not expected by anyone to 'reverse the curse"......they had to win 4 straight after being down 3 games to 0 in the ALCS.)

2003 Marlins (who honestly expected them to win it all that year?)

2002 Angels (a team that was largely expected to be mediocre at best flew in and won it all with timely hitting in the playoffs.)

2001 Diamondbacks (not a media darling that year either.....flew in and beat the heavily favored Yankees.)

Thats 7 out of the last 10 WS winners. 70% swooped in outta nowhere to win it all. Shall we go to the WS losers the last 10 years? Let's see how many teams that we can find that the media NEVER would've predicted getting to the WS:

2008 Rays ('nuff said)

2007 Rockies (tell me who predicted them getting to the WS?)

2006 Tigers (Weren't even predicted to win their division. White Sox were heavily favored to win the division that year......also made it to the WS.)

2005 Astros (yet another team that was not favored by the "media experts")

2004 Cardinals (They swooped in and made the playoffs and weren't even favored to win their own division. The Cubs were the favorite out of the NL Central after the 2003 debacle)

2002 Giants (who favored them that year?)

60% of the last 10 World Series LOSERS weren't even favored to GET TO the WS by the media experts......now do you see my point?
No. Your disdain for the big, bad, mean, anti-White Sox (I'm sure you believe this) media is inhibiting your ability to look at so-called experts on a case-by-case basis.

Thome25
04-02-2010, 08:22 AM
No. Your disdain for the big, bad, mean, anti-White Sox (I'm sure you believe this) media is inhibiting your ability to look at so-called experts on a case-by-case basis.

Lets just agree to disagree. WTS you're wrong.......my point the entire time was that I'd rather have the media be Anti-White Sox than Pro-White Sox like Rosenthal is and the reason for that is the very same reason I wrote the list of WS surprises the last 10 years.

Craig Grebeck
04-02-2010, 08:26 AM
Lets just agree to disagree. WTS you're wrong.......my point the entire time was that I'd rather have the media be Anti-White Sox than Pro-White Sox like Rosenthal is and the reason for that is the very same reason I wrote the list of WS surprises the last 10 years.
And my reasoning is that I'd rather see analysts/experts say that my favorite team is talented and has what it takes to win it all.

Thome25
04-02-2010, 08:31 AM
And my reasoning is that I'd rather see analysts/experts say that my favorite team is talented and has what it takes to win it all.

And that's precisely why we're going to agree to disagree......because to me, the only opinions that matter are KW's, OG's and everyone else building the team, as well as the local media who sees this team on more of a regular basis than the national mediots do.

Another set of opinions that matters to me is that of White Sox fans because just like the local media we live, breathe, and see this team more than anyone (especially the national media.) besides that, we're some of the most knowledgable around.

We also help the White Sox pay the bills so if we think the White Sox can be a good team, we will support said team and give the White Sox the ability to acquire players and fill needs.

So no, the national media's opinion means nothing to me........unlike you CG.

Craig Grebeck
04-02-2010, 08:34 AM
And that's precisely why we're going to agree to disagree......because to me, the only opinions that matter are KW's, OG's and everyone else building the team, as well as the local media who sees this team on more of a regular basis than the national mediots do.

Another set of opinions that matters to me is that of White Sox fans because just like the local media we live, breathe, and see this team more than anyone (especially the national media.) besides that, we're some of the most knowledgable around.

We also help the White Sox pay the bills so if we think the White Sox can be a good team, we will support said team and give the White Sox the ability to acquire players and fill needs.

So no, the national media's opinion means nothing to me........unlike you CG.
Honestly, I don't give a **** about what anyone thinks but me.

Also, if the national media's opinion meant nothing to you, I'm guessing you wouldn't follow these "mediots" so closely. Clever terminology though.

Thome25
04-02-2010, 08:38 AM
Honestly, I don't give a **** about what anyone thinks but me.

Also, if the national media's opinion meant nothing to you, I'm guessing you wouldn't follow these "mediots" so closely. Clever terminology though.

The bolded comment is painfully obvious.

Truth be told, the reason I follow the national media is I live outside Chicago so, in alot of ways they're my only outlet (besides the internet) for White Sox baseball.

I no longer have the ability to flip on CSN Chicago, WLS channel 7, WMAQ channel 5, or Fox 32 and watch the local sports report on the White Sox. So unless I want to suddenly become a Phillies or Orioles fan, (which WILL NEVER HAPPEN.) I have to rely on the national mediots for some of my White Sox reports.

Craig Grebeck
04-02-2010, 08:41 AM
The bolded comment is painfully obvious.

Truth be told, the reason I follow the national media is I live outside Chicago so, in alot of ways they're my only outlet (besides the internet) for White Sox baseball.

I no longer have the ability to flip on CSN Chicago, WLS channel 7, WMAQ channel 5, or Fox 32 and watch the local sports report on the White Sox. So unless I want to suddenly become a Philles or Orioles fan, (which WILL NEVER HAPPEN.) I have to rely on the national mediots for some of my White Sox reports.
I understand. I'll be outside Illinois soon (hell, I'm in between Peoria and the Quad Cities now, so I might as well be in MO). I'll PM you.

Corlose 15
04-02-2010, 09:56 AM
As for his actual predictions. He has the Sox beating the Phillies, which would be fun since the Sox never got a shot at them in '83 or '93.

Plus...they'd win the World Series.:cool:

areilly
04-02-2010, 10:10 AM

It's an inherently biased situation though. They see one team that much more closely (and more often) than all others combined, and the good and bad of that team gets magnified.

flo-B-flo
04-02-2010, 10:21 AM
I'ts a crap shoot EVERY season. That's why I never pay attention to the experts. Let the games begin........

Thome25
04-02-2010, 10:28 AM
As for his actual predictions. He has the Sox beating the Phillies, which would be fun since the Sox never got a shot at them in '83 or '93.

Plus...they'd win the World Series.:cool:

A White Sox-Phillies WS would be EXTREMELY interesting for me. I'm a hop, skip, and a jump from Philadelphia. Most of the fans in my area are Phillies fans with a few Orioles fans mixed in.

asindc
04-02-2010, 10:39 AM
A White Sox-Phillies WS would be EXTREMELY interesting for me. I'm a hop, skip, and a jump from Philadelphia. Most of the fans in my area are Phillies fans with a few Orioles fans mixed in.

I'd like to see that, too. I think it would be a "spirited" series.

Corlose 15
04-02-2010, 10:42 AM
I'd like to see that, too. I think it would be a "spirited" series.

Peavy matching up with Halladay in game one. Maybe a couple talented lefties squaring off in Danks and Hamels. Thornton vs Howard with runners on late. Juan Pierre hitting a walkoff HR in game 2.:cool:

Lip Man 1
04-02-2010, 11:19 AM
Got an e-mail last night from one of the Sox beat writers, they are expecting a good season too:

"I have a feeling this is going to be a special season for the Sox. Best clubhouse I've been around in a long time, and I think you'll see the accountability on the field."

Lip

TheOldRoman
04-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Got an e-mail last night from one of the Sox beat writers, they are expecting a good season too:

"I have a feeling this is going to be a special season for the Sox. Best clubhouse I've been around in a long time, and I think you'll see the accountability on the field."

LipThat is the key. For as much as they have preached fundamentals and bunting, nobody could do it. I want to see players and coaches held accountable, especially when they fail repeatedly to make changes and get fooled by the same strategy regularly. Hey, it's my first Walker jab of the season!

Back on topic though, I never really valued what Rosenthal writes, so this is a big "meh" to me. I hope he is correct.

russ99
04-02-2010, 11:32 AM
As much as I find it insulting that people are picking Detroit ahead of the Sox, as we have better pitching and they have the same question marks on offense, I'd rather be picked lower by the so-called "experts".

Frankfan4life
04-02-2010, 12:21 PM
I wish I could be as optimistic as Rosenthal and a lot of you guys, but I just don't see the offense being strong enough to support the pitchers. I hope I'm wrong.

Lip Man 1
04-02-2010, 03:21 PM
ESPN's baseball guys have their picks out now on the web site and a large number including Morgan, Hersheiser and Sutcliffe have the Sox winning the division.

I gave everything a quick glance but no one at ESPN had the Sox advancing to the series.

Lip

asindc
04-02-2010, 03:22 PM
ESPN's baseball guys have their picks out now on the web site and a large number including Morgan, Hershheiser and Sutcliffe have the Sox winning the division.

I gave everything a quick glance but no one at ESPN had the Sox advancing to the series.

Lip

If I recall correctly, Morgan and Gammons were the only ESPN analysts to pick the Sox to win the WS going into the 2005 playoffs.

Corlose 15
04-02-2010, 03:53 PM
ESPN's baseball guys have their picks out now on the web site and a large number including Morgan, Hershheiser and Sutcliffe have the Sox winning the division.

Lip

I just saw that and based on my own quick glance it seemed about even the number picking the Sox and Twins, with a few Tigers picks as well.

Shoeless
04-02-2010, 05:16 PM
If I recall correctly, Morgan and Gammons were the only ESPN analysts to pick the Sox to win the WS going into the 2005 playoffs.

I even recall Gammons turning on us and picking the 'stros to win the World Series

jabrch
04-02-2010, 05:32 PM
ESPN's baseball guys have their picks out now on the web site and a large number including Morgan, Hersheiser and Sutcliffe have the Sox winning the division.

Lip

So there isn't necesarily some gloabl pessimism about the Sox?

Not that the ESPN folks predictions are any better than yours or mine...but I'm glad to see some people outside WSI think this club has a chance.

Frater Perdurabo
04-02-2010, 08:24 PM
I understand. I'll be outside Illinois soon (hell, I'm in between Peoria and the Quad Cities now, so I might as well be in MO). I'll PM you.

Even though I am in Texas, I get pretty good Sox info from multiple sources.

Also, are you anywhere near Galesburg?

Craig Grebeck
04-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Even though I am in Texas, I get pretty good Sox info from multiple sources.

Also, are you anywhere near Galesburg?
Precisely where I am, actually. Funny you say that.

I'm definitely blessed to live in the age we do, information-wise. I don't know what I'd do otherwise.